FA D FA Cup FA Cup 3rd Round

Wolverhampton Wanderers 0:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 04 January 2020

Oldyella

This no shots on target thing sounds terrible, but Rashford hit the bar, and Mata was about 6 inches wide!

We've had other games where we've had a few pea rollers that were never going in.

We didn't overly look in much worry at the back either, and had a pretty weak lineup out.

There's more positive to today than negative.
Problem is, they had a weak line up as well.

NormansDarkSide

Thoughts and prayers with thise who wasted the 2 hours watching this crap. I will always support this club but I am done watching them play. My eyes cannot take this anymore. All the Ole in guys, hope you are breathing this in, your style and your vision.
If your "done watching them play" you can't support them. I'm not Ole in but jeez, your either a supporter or not, if not bugger off.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's true, but we have lost to Wolves plenty recently, so still being in the hat is a good result. Even if we didn't need another game.

Hampshire Rec

Sky Sports headline says it all for me

Man Utd hold Wolves to force a replay

Utter shite tonight!!

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Is anyone shocked anymore? A win is usually a surprise. Not sure how anyone can 'Back' him any more.

Tosicsleftpeg

Hilarious when Fred is coming on and the commentators say "here come the big guns" how far we have fallen.

Accepted the fact now we're just a mid table team and will be for a long time!

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Zero shots on target. Looking forward to see how this one is spun
Most said pre match that we'd lose because our team is so worse than Wolves ... when the reality is our 2nd team was able to nullify Wolves quite easily, meaning we still have 3 cups to play for?

M Bison

Supports
York City
I didn’t think it was as bad as most are making out. Thought we looked good at the back, first game in a while I’ve thought Lindelöf and Maguire looked solid and thought the full-backs were decent.

Thought Andreas played well in CM as did Matic.

Final 3rd we were anonymous Which isn’t a huge surprise given what we had there and the ages. Would like to have seen Gomes get a few minutes for Mata as I think we’ll need Andreas.

Greenwood had a few nice touches but dropped too deep which meant we had nothing in the box and made it easy for their defence, he was ineffectual but again, not unexpected given age.

Mata, James and Chong worked hard but didn’t do enough.

RonaldoVII

Most said pre match that we'd lose because our team is so worse than Wolves ... when the reality is our 2nd team was able to nullify Wolves quite easily, meaning we still have 3 cups to play for?
They also rested players. Zero shots on target against any side is shocking and our first time for 5 years. No excuses for that.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
They also rested players. Zero shots on target against any side is shocking and our first time for 5 years. No excuses for that.
With the resources we had out, I'm not massively surprised with the result.

Doesn't mean I'm happy about our general circumstances, but we are what we are, and any judgements need to be in that context.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
So, before the game, everyone was saying we were going to getting battered. We came away with a draw and people are dissatisfied with it.

Make your mind up, ffs!

Due to injuries, and fixtures, we've put out an almost makeshift team with a very weak midfield. Compared to other teams putting out a weakened team of youngsters, they all have first team experience.

It's annoying that we didn't have a shot on goal, of course, and it wasn't exactly scintillating stuff, but really we did well, to go away to a form team and come away with a draw.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Can't agree more.

Chong, Greenwood, James sure have everything to scare the shit out of those Wolves. They must bang in at least 4 goals, oh no 5 maybe 6. Only that could satisfy me and my fecking standard.

This is a post match thread, where we should discuss about the match. To moan about the sad state of our club you have plenty other threads out there. Go there and moan.

Our young lads and the team did well today, give them some fecking credit ffs.
Agreed. That poster moan about the club in every thread.

freddie the red

These kind of statements boggle me to be honest. Are you saying this so we now know you’re truly at the end of your tether and will stop watching United? It’s painful for every United fan at the moment but bloody hell we have had a pretty good innings. I pay through the nose to watch football as I did when we were winning the lot. Will Watford supporters cancel their Sky subscription when they get relegated? Generally not trying to have a dig but this seems like you’re threatening the wind.
Mate, I probably won't do it because there's always the hope we might see another City away type of win but, honestly, it's getting so hard to watch on a regular basis.
Not even saying we haven't been spoilt between '90 and '13 but a bit of sustained spirit wouldn't go amiss on the pitch.
Also, Ole stated we can't play like City "yet" but most of today's play was attempting tippy tappy in the last third.....hopeless.

Last edited:

bonothom

Awful to watch. The same dross under Van Gaal and Mourinho and they were slaughtered by the majority of the fanbase. Under 'one of our own' and its progress apparently. The footballs not only poor but the results are shite as well. I can accept shite football if we are near the top but I cannot accept shite football and shite results.

RedIan

Awful to watch. The same dross under Van Gaal and Mourinho and they were slaughtered by the majority of the fanbase. Under 'one of our own' and its progress apparently. The footballs not only poor but the results are shite as well. I can accept shite football if we are near the top but I cannot accept shite football and shite results.

Football under LVG was far far more painful than what we play under ole. I will never forget sitting in the crowd wishing it was over as i was so bored with the side to side back passing and rarely venturing forward. ... i also prefer watching ole football over Jose when we play well - we just dont play well often enough.

Ole has screwed up letting to many players go without ensuring he had a replacement, poor management of his resources and we now have a paper thin squad littered with injury prone players -

r0663664

Worships Man City
Great that I wasn’t up at early morning to watch the game. It sounds like a toothless performance from Utd. Ole can only blame himself for putting up a young side. Sorry, he is not up to my expectation as a manager. The sooner he is gone, the better we are off.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Romero - He's a good back up keeper, but it is a little concerning when the thing your keeper is most recognisable for is his trademark "sorry" hand gesture after he does something daft.

Young - Warned for timewasting for taking the exact usual amount of time he always does just to take a bloody throw in
Lindelof - Given man of the match, I think on the basis of heading away a cross at one point. Presumably not for his frequent ventures up the pitch to pass the ball to Wolves players
Maguire - Pretty decent tonight. Both centrebacks did ok, but bearing in mind the main reason Wolves didn't score was because one of their players headed the ball into his own hand.
Williams - I like his hair.

Matic - Seemed to be replaced by his evil (or possibly just invisible) twin at half time. Decent in first half.
Pereira - Played some nice passes. Unclear yet whether he won the "boot the ball out of the stadium and into the neighbouring University campus" bonus prize
Mata - Decent freekick attempt, which seemed to baffle the BT commentators as if it was the first time someone had ever had a shot from a freekick.

James - Couple of good crosses which might have been useful if we actually had anyone playing in attack.
Greenwood - I mean, who was actually playing up front for us? James was on the left, Chong was on the right, Greenwood was....also on the right?
Chong - Better second half. First half was basically like having Fellaini at right wing, if he'd been sent off

Subs:
Fred - Probably shouldn't take freekicks anymore
Rashford - Improved us for the initial 2 minutes after he came on and before the rest of the team forgot he had come on
Dalot - Presumably his version of those sheets they keep showing to Greenwood just has pictures of people shooting from everywhere on the pitch.

FA Cup commentary cliches:
- "Who said the magic of the FA cup is dead"
- " NOW we've got a cup tie"
- "Romero must be the best back up goalkeeper in the country"

Wolfmother

Supports
Man Utd
When i read posts like this i wonder, did people have a look at the line up? What did they expect? Its a miracle we are still in this.. And we are fifth on the table. What did people really expect? This team needs signings, and maybe a few games with the firsth 11 would help, because the squad depth isnt there.

fallengt

Lifeless performance.
Can't say im surprised. This is where we are now.
Replay is a waste of time through. Wish it had ended there.

Steerpike

I didn’t think it was as bad as most are making out. Thought we looked good at the back, first game in a while I’ve thought Lindelöf and Maguire looked solid and thought the full-backs were decent.

Thought Andreas played well in CM as did Matic.

Final 3rd we were anonymous Which isn’t a huge surprise given what we had there and the ages. Would like to have seen Gomes get a few minutes for Mata as I think we’ll need Andreas.

Greenwood had a few nice touches but dropped too deep which meant we had nothing in the box and made it easy for their defence, he was ineffectual but again, not unexpected given age.

Mata, James and Chong worked hard but didn’t do enough.
Agree completely about the lack of threat up front.

I think we have a problem generally with our forward line, even when Martial and Rashford are playing. None of our forwards seem to have the instincts to get into goalscoring positions on a regular basis, and all of them seem to be more concerned with helping to build attacks than actually finishing them off. It was more apparent than usual tonight as Greenwood was consistently too deep throughout, and also tended to drift to the right rather crowding out Chong.

I would like us to get a genuine central striker who saw putting the ball in the net as his primary purpose. If we don't recruit one, Ole has to cajole Martial or Greenwood, our most natural finishers, into performing the role - i.e. telling them to maintain a more central and advanced position throughout the game, and attack the near post when anyone gets into a position to put a cross in. The problem with our fluid front line, despite all the pace and movement, is that all too often none of the forwards are taking up the sorts of positions a genuine central striker would.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
4 v 7 changes for manchester united from the previous matchday squad. Wolves put on the big guns early.

I dont want to split hairs but we fielded a VERY reserve oriented team here, Im not sure why its even being debated. We put no effort into winning this.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Gawd. Context is a real word. On the plus side, there have been several very amusing comments on this thread. Could we actually be developing a sense of humour on match related topics? One can hope.

ShinjiNinja26

Civil war breaking out amongst the fans it seems. Just seen this, didn’t know where to put it. Don’t follow the channel myself.

Steven-UK

£100 now wasted being forced (automatically billed by OT) to go to the replay to watch another shower of sheet. :annoyed:

Cheers guys... how some of these players can call themselves professional footballers at the highest level is a joke. Half of them would struggle in the lower divisions.

r0x0rwolfo

Civil war breaking out amongst the fans it seems. Just seen this, didn’t know where to put it. Don’t follow the channel myself.
Hmmm. They have a lot of strange ideas such as players not getting sufficient pay rises (our wages are quite high, no?) and seem to be quite attention seeking. That being said they're no different that anyone on here, we've all got opinions.

Devil may care

It's different to how bad it was under Mourinho as there isn't any toxicity right now, it's just becoming more and more clear that Ole and the coaching staff are out of their depth in this job, if teams don't leave space for us to counter into we barely lay a glove on the opposition.

Devil may care

If I'm not mistaken their camera man is actually an Arsenal fan, just shows you the type of people that the media are stirring up with this anti-fan channel bullshit, all these channels do is give fans a voice, if you don't want to hear that voice or put money into the channel then don't click on the vids, it's that simple. Problem is these channels do big numbers and it's pissing off the established order.

I don't get what these thugs have against the fan channels, my guess is they don't either, they are just using it as an excuse to act violent and do this kind of shit.

Stig

Remember when football used to be fun?
I believe that if you speak with a strange accent and live in one of England's cities that has two cathedrals, ( no not Coventry), that football is fun. Which makes it even less fun for us.

ThinkTank@Cafe

So, before the game, everyone was saying we were going to getting battered. We came away with a draw and people are dissatisfied with it.

Make your mind up, ffs!

Due to injuries, and fixtures, we've put out an almost makeshift team with a very weak midfield. Compared to other teams putting out a weakened team of youngsters, they all have first team experience.

It's annoying that we didn't have a shot on goal, of course, and it wasn't exactly scintillating stuff, but really we did well, to go away to a form team and come away with a draw.
“No you are wrong. I support Manchester United and they always win. If they don’t win, I’m (we, Ole, Woodward) miserable (laughing stock, clueless people), And I don’t accept the standard. It’s Manchester United, I support it, they should win. This is the standard of a mediocre team, like Wolves. And we drew. Awful dross.

You accept the standard, therefore, you stupid “die hard” fan. You pretend to support the club, but you don’t because you’re okay with the Glazers”

Repeat it in different variations and you get your feedback from the community.

Last edited:

MrBest

If your "done watching them play" you can't support them. I'm not Ole in but jeez, your either a supporter or not, if not bugger off.
I can support them without watching them, that ain't hard as I have been a fan for over 25 years and have seen some ups and downs. The level of football is horrendous, believe me I would rather lose the game but play with passion, ambition and tactics than watch 11 guys look bored on the pitch for 90 minutes. Worst thing is, I will probably end up watching the next game as that is how it is as I am a sucker. All i want to see is us play some good football.

Amerifan

Agree completely about the lack of threat up front.

I think we have a problem generally with our forward line, even when Martial and Rashford are playing. None of our forwards seem to have the instincts to get into goalscoring positions on a regular basis, and all of them seem to be more concerned with helping to build attacks than actually finishing them off. It was more apparent than usual tonight as Greenwood was consistently too deep throughout, and also tended to drift to the right rather crowding out Chong.

I would like us to get a genuine central striker who saw putting the ball in the net as his primary purpose. If we don't recruit one, Ole has to cajole Martial or Greenwood, our most natural finishers, into performing the role - i.e. telling them to maintain a more central and advanced position throughout the game, and attack the near post when anyone gets into a position to put a cross in. The problem with our fluid front line, despite all the pace and movement, is that all too often none of the forwards are taking up the sorts of positions a genuine central striker would.
This is a good point. A proper striker would add a new dimension to break down low blocks. Challenge for both Martial and Greenwood is getting pushed off the ball and their pace makes them more valuable roaming.

Player Ratings

5.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 208 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Wolves win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 25% Wolves 2:0 Man Utd
  • 18% Wolves 2:1 Man Utd