FA W FA Cup 3rd Round Replay

Manchester United 1:0 Wolverhampton Wanderers

Post-match discussion

Wed, 15 January 2020

wolvored

We are through to the next round. Thought quite a few players played well. William's wan mata james matic although he lost the ball a couple of times and maguire. Var saved us twice though

Gator Nate

Expected to see a grinding game and was not disappointed. It's Wolves. They defend well.

Also pleased with the win. Still alive for the hardware.

Rashford's injury seems unrelated to any knock he might have been carrying. Ole made a correct call and it didn't work. Bad luck.

The whole back line was outstanding. Another clean sheet. Covered each other's mistakes. Solid.

VAR got it right. Without the handball, Maguire had a good clearance.

meamth

When we lose to Wolves - sack ole, why can't we win against fecking wolves!? Fecking bogey team.

When we finally win against Wolves - boring game.

State of the Ole out brigade.

Sad Chris

Not sure where the fear of Wolves comes from. According to BBC this morning:

Manchester United have won nine of their past 10 home matches against Wolves in all competitions, keeping six clean sheets in those games.

Litch

It was a win but it wasn't pretty. My biggest fear is we are now over playing some players and not sure how we are going to coup with anymore injuries. No signings this month and we are really going to struggle....

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
It was a win but it wasn't pretty. My biggest fear is we are now over playing some players and not sure how we are going to coup with anymore injuries. No signings this month and we are really going to struggle....
This is the season in a nutshell. Playing on a knife's edge. And yet we will be lucky to get 1 player in this window.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
How does Lingard get an average score of 4? He did nothing, he contributed nothing.
How do you rate players Colin?

Do they start from zero? I generally start from 5. If we draw then it's pretty well fives all around, wins start at six, losses at four . Plus or minus points for goals, assists, important interventions, MoTM or errors/general poor play.

10s are rare but I'll give one for a hattrick or other masterclass.

Last edited:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Thought it was a pretty even match. We dominated possession, but they had the chances.
Matic MOTM for me. Maguire not far behind.

Noticed that after Jimenez' challenge on Maguire (where they had a goal ruled out) Maguire took the first opportunity to smash him. But then stepped forth Sir Victor Lindelof, the non-centre back centre back, and absolutely ruined him in an aerial challenge. I honestly didn't think he had it in him. Lovely to see.

AWB had a very good first half with some great tackles. But the throw-ins from the right where calamitous. Of course, Fred had that one where he made a horror pass which he never really recovered from in the game, but more often than not, we were lacking safe options to throw to.

We're clearly trying to play a faster passing game (at least in the first half) but we're a little off it with our touches. Against City away, the reception of the ball was first class. Tonight we looked like those fast passes into feet were a little above our technical level.

Hopefully fielding a strong team now won't cost us too much and hopefully Rashford will be fit sharpish.

Cantonagotmehere

Glad to move on in the FA Cup with the way the season is going.

I thought Dan James was class. Great runs and Ruddy did well to keep him out. He will only get better, and has the complete opposite type of desire than players like Shaw.

Williams LB is yours, keep it up please.

Happy for Jaunito, how can you not be?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
We beat Wolves you guys. This is the best result of the season without a doubt. City, whatever. 3 points in the league and all that but it was no Wolves.

Matic has been good. Not just "good compared to how United players perform" but objectively good. Pereira has been better recently and Mata has had two decent games in a row. He usually performs better than Lingard since he actually makes himself available and really tries to do something in attack.

Not sure where the fear of Wolves comes from. According to BBC this morning:

Manchester United have won nine of their past 10 home matches against Wolves in all competitions, keeping six clean sheets in those games.
It's a misleading stat. Last time we beat Wolves was 8 years ago. Since they came up again we didn't manage a single win and that included 2 cup matches.

Get In Scholesy

I don’t know.

Love that we are through to the next round.

But for some reason the feeling is overshadowed by the constant reminder that some of our players have such a low IQ.

Shimo

I rather enjoyed that match. Both teams started off with good intent, we created a couple of good opportunities but, weren't able to capitalize. I missed from around the 15-30 min mark but, I felt we were well worth the win.

Wolves are a good side, so yes they had a few chances as well but, I liked the way we played today against them.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location

Do they start from zero? I generally start from 5. If we draw then it's pretty well fives all around, wins start at six, losses at four . Plus or minus points for goals, assists, important interventions, MoTM or errors/general poor play.

10s are rare but I'll give one for a hattrick or other masterclass.
I use gut feeling and emotion.

Generally, my overall ratings tend to be lower than average.

Robertd0803

Good to get a win over Wolves eventually. Sick of them now though and we could still get them in Europa League.

Lovely goal from Mata, wonder if he starts Sunday.

Hopefully Rashfords knock doesnt keep him out.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Reasonable first half... usual drab sidewards bollox in the second. what exactly does Ole tell them at half time? Ov er all, pretty dull and still mediocre mid-table stuff: we were fortunate Wolves had a real off day. A couple o flashes of quality from Mata, I thought Matic was pretty solid and another good showing fromt he full backs. More controversaially, I'd be happy to see Sergio start ahead of DDG for now...

Alabaster Codify7

Enjoyed the first half, to be fair. End to end, but sloppy.

Second half was shite, great goal by Mata, I'll take it - smash and grab win. Onto the next round, this is our only chance of a trophy in my eyes.

TRUERED89

Anyone got a picture of all the Wolves coaches standing hugging eachother in a circle after they thought they scored? :D

Inject it into my veins.
Haha even though it worked in our favour, VAR just kills the buzz of scoring now! it's just shite

Oldyella

Good to get a win over Wolves eventually. Sick of them now though and we could still get them in Europa League.

Lovely goal from Mata, wonder if he starts Sunday.

Hopefully Rashfords knock doesnt keep him out.
We would be mad not to though surely? Mata has hit a little bit of form at a good time. Would be him over James for me if Rashford is fit.

jackal&hyde

For the amount of talent they managed to acquire Wolves are a remarkably dull side.
They are tired, just like us.

Very happy with the win. It was needed given the likely defeat we are about to have at the weekend. Continuing the cup run is important.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
This is undoubtedly true. Its highly unlikely that Rashford and Maguire will be able to continue playing almost every game this season without picking up something that's going to cause them to miss games.

We have 3 league games coming up before February 1st, after which we get a nice break before Chelsea away

Liverpool (a)
Burnley (h)
Wolves (h)

FA Cup 4th round and League cup 2nd leg in that period too. 6 points from those 2 home games would be huge considering Chelsea have Newcastle (a), Arsenal (h) & Leicester (a) in the same period. That Chelsea game is certainly the defining fixture of our league season so far. We must avoid defeat, and hopefully the break before then will allow us to rest up and we may well have Pogba & McTominay back by then.

Yagami

Good post resistant

10s are rare but I'll give one for a hattrick or other masterclass
Who was your last 10? In terms of a players rating, that is, ya filthy animal!

poleglass red

Haha even though it worked in our favour, VAR just kills the buzz of scoring now! it's just shite

Good help the poor soul who scores an important game winning goal and with adrenilin flying runs to the oppositions fans with his finger over his lips making the quiet signal or cups his hands round his ears, only for a goal to be ruled out by var

TRUERED89

Good help the poor soul who scores an important game winning goal and with adrenilin flying runs to the oppositions fans with his finger over his lips making the quiet signal or cups his hands round his ears, only for a goal to be ruled out by var
:lol: I guess that adds entertainment as long as its the oppo's and not us!

Hughie77

Deserved win I thought, even with these goal ruled out, the rules are there, it may be daft but as long as it's consistent everyone knows. Ince is a miserable git, he's got isuues ! Brandon Williams wow got no change out of him did they.
Awkward team to play against and a win over them is great.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I use gut feeling and emotion.

Generally, my overall ratings tend to be lower than average.
Mine tend to align with the average but some are higher, usually by about 0.4% to 0.6%

For example, using the the top five threads in the player performances forum.

Player Caf Dwazza
Ashley Young 5.1 5.1
Anthony Martial 6.0 6.3
Marcus Rashford 5.9 6.5
Brandon Williams 6.3 6.3
Mason Greenwood 5.7 5.9

Colin Clarke

So sad that even after a win you are desperately trying to find something to blame Ole for . Once it gets to that stage in a replay you then you have to go on and try and win it .
Greenwood and Martial had hardly had a kick so he sent Rashy on to try and get the winner unfortunately Rashford got a knock ( typical of our luck at the moment) . We won the game so let’s praise the manager rather than trying to pick holes in him.
Ole went to win it and now reports today have Rashford out for atleast 6 weeks maybe as long as 3 months. With the inability to keep fit during this period he won't return match fit and may be out for the rest of the season. Was this gamble really worth it?

Sing you a song

Ole went to win it and now reports today have Rashford out for atleast 6 weeks maybe as long as 3 months. With the inability to keep fit during this period he won't return match fit and may be out for the rest of the season. Was this gamble really worth it?
With the benefit of hindsight no but none of us are psychic so give the guy a break

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 224 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Wolves win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 34% Man Utd 2:1 Wolves
  • 18% Man Utd 2:0 Wolves