FA W FA Cup 3rd Round Replay

Manchester United 1:0 Wolverhampton Wanderers

Post-match discussion

Wed, 15 January 2020

Colin Clarke

Good result but questions must be asked about Ole and his substitutions. Before the game Rashford was a doubt, so having him on the bench was questionable but putting him on! Why? We didn't really need him on and now he is a serious doubt for Liverpool on Sunday. It was a risk that wasn't worth the price.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
What exactly happened to Rashy? Any updates? Worried for the guy

fps

Good result but questions must be asked about Ole and his substitutions. Before the game Rashford was a doubt, so having him on the bench was questionable but putting him on! Why? We didn't really need him on and now he is a serious doubt for Liverpool on Sunday. It was a risk that wasn't worth the price.
He was brought on because the game was in the balance. Perfectly reasonable.

redom

What exactly happened to Rashy? Any updates? Worried for the guy
He got caught with a knee to the calf/knee as he tried to get his leg across and protect the ball, probably a sore one but hopefully nothing too serious and we just took him off as a precaution.

fps

I like Nuno. Seems like a good guy to work with.

DavidDeSchmikes

United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer: "I think you can see it was two teams towards the end that were tired. End to end and an open game - sometimes that doesn't suit us.

"We're delighted to beat Wolves finally. Juan Mata is different class. He's got the skill, composure and even pace."

On the note handed to Mata during the first-half: "A couple of times we went out of shape - we adjusted it for five/10 minutes before half-time.

"Dan [James] had three or four great opportunities one-on-one with the keeper. Fair play to our boys we created them but we didn't take them."

Did the decision to play Marcus Rashford backfire? "Yes it backfired. You got to take them once in a while. He'll be tested in the next few days - we have to see for Sunday. He couldn't run. He struggled a little bit with his back and got another knock. It didn't help."

Okey

Hard slog, great win. Especially against these feckers who seem to have our number. Another clean sheet for Romero. I hope to God Rashford is ok. I mean, how unlucky can we get??? Bring on the heathen 'Pool...

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
He got caught with a knee to the calf/knee as he tried to get his leg across and protect the ball, probably a sore one but hopefully nothing too serious and we just took him off as a precaution.
Thank you. It was hard to see what happened exactly, but watching him struggle for several minutes, while JLingz was getting warmed up was scary. Hope it's nothing and he comes back against Pools.

Irwin99

A pretty exhausting game but we shaded it and glad we're in the next round. Both teams have obvious good and bad points and are fairly well matched in a lot of ways. I felt our attackers (except for Mata) were very poor but everyone else was solid.

Although Matic and Fred (after a shaky first 20 mins) played very well the lack of pace at the spine of our team is a bit worrying and a lot of runners can get in that space. Maguire and Lindelof were solid and Williams has that spot nailed down :drool: Hope Rashford is ok.

siw2007

Finally beat Wolves, as I come from the West Midlands, it’s great to have some bragging rights for a change.
Thought it was a decent performance, first half was pretty even but we were in control in the 2nd so felt we deserved it.

Fingers crossed that Rashford isnt that hurt.

rooney2009

Good Win, thought we were bang average and I prayed that it did not go to extra time

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Finally beaten Wolves under Ole!

With the amount of injuries and games we've had recently, todays game was just about winning and progressing to the next round. It wasn't pretty, but we got there in the end, courtesy of a beautiful finish by Mata.

The injury of Rashford obviously put a downer on the game. Fingers crossed his sub was more a precautionary measure, rather than anything serious.
He didn't look comfortable leaving the pitch.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Solid performance. We need to finish our chances to put games out of reach, but a well deserved win none the less. Big mistake by Wolves coach playing Traore on the left. Why he would put Traore up against arguably the best defensive RB in the league is a head scratcher for me. He should have put Traore on the right against Williams. Either way, good result...

OJKernow

In a midweek replay, with the amount of games we've had recently, a win is a win. We can't complain that we're into the next round at the end of the day.

Wolves have been a tricky side for us to break down in recent times, and are a good team, but we created chances and took the goal well.

Mata and Matic continuing their resurgence, which we cannot become too dependant on (however it is great to see), shame to see Rashford go off, but I think he'll be fine for Sunday.

All in all, a good nights work, now we focus on Sunday.......

Devil may care

Good win, never felt we were going to concede, neither team is great at breaking a team down so it was a bit of a stalemate for most of the game but we are proving to be clinical when a opening is presented to us.

ColvaleGoa

Finally in what seems a eternity we beat these Feckerz. Hope Rashford is okay. Williams is making me drool. He is a mini Evra. The spot is his to lose now.
Also good to see despite the state of the team, we created some decent chances. I just hope the scum Glazers spend on some much needed midfield reinforcements.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Before the game it occurred to me that this was somewhat of a free hit for us. Always want to go deep in the FA Cup of course, but go out and we ease the schedule considerably and get quite a few weekends off in the coming months.

As it was, a decent win against our Achilles Heel, albeit a fairly pedestrian & tired performance.

What do we take away from this one?

• Williams continues to impress. He does everything well and plays beyond his years. He's got an exciting future
  • Still some life in Matic too. Hes played well in all of the last 5 he has started and has elevated himself above the deadwood for me. Still likely to be gone in the summer but an option we need right now
  • Mata is nice to watch when he is playing well. Shame he isn't 5 years younger
  • The rest were just okay aside from Greenwood who was never in the game
Balance (or lack of) continues to be an issue whenever we have to rotate. Fred & Matic are a solid platform for the team but lack dynamism as a pair.

Still, it's nice to keep progressing in the cups. Look forward to getting past Watford away and another difficult PL away tie after that no doubt. Credit to the team and the management for continuing to negotiate a long and difficult season pretty well so far. Really need a fresh face or two this month

Sing you a song

So sad that even after a win you are desperately trying to find something to blame Ole for . Once it gets to that stage in a replay you then you have to go on and try and win it .
Greenwood and Martial had hardly had a kick so he sent Rashy on to try and get the winner unfortunately Rashford got a knock ( typical of our luck at the moment) . We won the game so let’s praise the manager rather than trying to pick holes in him.

Grande

First win in six against Wolves, important in three respects:

1. We are in with a shot in both the important cups we’re in. FA Cup gave me some great moments under Atkinson, so it’s not spoilt on me. Valuable experience for the young lads as well.

2. Revenge against Wolves, who had become something of a nemesis lately and spoilt the fun last year when we’d beaten Gunners and Chelsea away.

3. Wolves as a team are experts on exploiting our recent weakness of winning against cautious teams who sit back. Now we’ve won three league games running against that kind of opponents, scoring 10-1, and we beat Wolves after home and away. There are hints of consistency.

MIC_FIN

Supports
United Away Games
Ole: I'm starting beans.

Team: Rasher can come on, pretend to be injured, bring on beans...

Ole: bean wet?

Team: fair enough, just do what you want.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Thought we were ok and it was a decent performance in the circumstances.

Problem as always is that with our squad as it is, missing 3-4 players causes us to put in performances that look like we're missing most of a team. Partly due to lack of quality but also because there's too much being asked of the ones who are fit. Players having to try to do things they aren't suited to or looking tired.

Greenwood and Williams are teenagers. I'm fine with us playing them as they both do well enough to justify it, but in terms of what you can expect of them....they're teenagers. One is basically our first choice left back on the back of about 5 games. The other is literally being relied on to get us goals...there is no such thing as an 18 year old who you can just expect to get you a certain number of goals.

Matic has actually done well since coming back in but struggles in certain situations/games, and I'm not sure should really be playing 2 games a week.

The plus side is I do really like the work ethic of this team. There was every excuse tonight to put in a half arsed display but the attitude was spot on.

hubbuh

Williams was top banana, as was Matic. Greenwood is a really good option but sometimes gets lost in the game. Very happy, assuming Beano isn't injured for Sunday.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Please can we have a break from playing fecking Wolves.

Great to beat them and get through.
You next play Wolves on....1st February. :lol:

Still should be easier now menally now you've got over their hex over you.

SER19

Holy shit they're a tough side to beat. Ideally have Bruno in for next one

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 224 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Wolves win
  • Draw

Detailed Results