PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:0 Wolverhampton Wanderers

Post-match discussion

Sat, 01 February 2020

MIC_FIN

Supports
United Away Games
Don't know why people are bothered to argue with negative posters on here. It's a waste of energy.

Support what we have in front of us.

Nobody here will be appointed for the job.

Nas-JR

Good response. Now I feel kinda bad for being a smartass in my first comment as you respond reasonably and logically. Thats not how forums are supposed to work mate!

My only real quibble would be that I have absolutely no doubt that Ole should not be managing United, and I feel that every day we continue with him running the actual football side of things is just prolonging the slide. I don't see the logic in persisting with this when it is obvious that he is out of his depth. Could results improve if we splunk 300M in the summer? Of course they could. They would improve if I was the manager and we spent a bomb on new players. But would that change the formation, tactics, motivation, substitutions, etc? No it would not.

And I have huge doubts on trusting him to assemble a strong squad! What experience does he have in building squads? Why would we not have the absolute world's best in this area? What benefit is there persisting with amateurs? Are there no options out there who could do the same job of cutting the deadwood and mercenaries etc while also providing a clue to how to attack teams that sit deep? Who could make it look like the players have a plan when going forward?

If we consider ourselves to be the biggest club in the world then we should have the absolute best people in charge at every position in the club. Ed seems to be one of the best moneyman, commercial deal-getter, whatever you want to call it, in the world. So I am fine if the Glazers want him to stay there. But you cold never convince me that there is a benefit to not having the best manager, the best coaching staff, the best medical staff, the best facilities, the best scouts that could possibly be had. I know that isn't always feasible, but that should be the constant goal. Yes its not great to keep moving in new managers, but you have to keep trying until you find one that works. Were Arsenal wrong to pull the plug on Emery so soon? I think most Arsenal fans would say No and that they should have brought in Arteta sooner. Were City wrong to fire Pelligrini, who won them titles, when they wanted Pep? Of course not. SAF and Wenger are the exceptions and the rest of the world fires managers that are out of their depth.

Sticking with the old boys network of ex-players because they "get the club" is a recipe for disaster. And its an experiment that we can watch in real-time as the club continues to falter.

Went on a bit of a rant. Sorry
I have been very much a lurker in the Caf for as long as I remember but everytime I come on here when we're going through a tough period it's just people shouting over each other and it just doesn't get anyone anywhere, no one changes their minds or considers the other person's POV (Guess that is a bit of a reflection of the world right now if we're honest XD). Thought I'd take a different approach.

I mean you are right. I can't really dispute a lot of what you said. I have had the argument of firing Ole for poch with my inner circle of friends multiple times and I was on the side of hiring Poch because we need to be ruthless (I still don't know where I stand on this). I also felt that giving Ole that contract when we did was sheer stupidity.. Why not wait until the end of the year?! But it is what it is.

Since he's taken over he's changed aspects of the team that I did not expect him to do, and it's been refreshing. You say that others could do the job of cutting out the deadwood but based on the evidence of the 3 previous managers, the answer is clearly no. in fact all they did was add to that problem. you could argue that that is a result of the incompetencies of upper management and you'd hope that whatever restructuring that was done wouldn't need Ole to be there to carry on the change, but I genuinely feel Ole had a significant input in this and to me it's credit where it's due. Also, apart from Poch, I look around and I don't feel there's any high caliber managers that are a must get right now (or maybe I haven't been paying enough attention). To me, the elite managers are Pep and Klopp and they ain't coming here.

Changing managers to me is not a massive issue. What gets me is people fail to acknowledge that there are so many issues that played out to get us to where we are now. I believe that we are in the process of fixing these issues and part of that driving force is coming from Ole himself (with regards to the off-field changes at the football club, on-field performances, as we know, have been all over the place). I'm tentative on sacking him because I don't want to kill that momentum. But, I could be wrong... it's difficult to judge. Let's see what happens. I think he deserves another summer window and we can re-open this topic in a year's time. Happy to admit I called it badly if I have.

Reactions: Penna

Sea-Cow

I have been very much a lurker in the Caf for as long as I remember but everytime I come on here when we're going through a tough period it's just people shouting over each other and it just doesn't get anyone anywhere, no one changes their minds or considers the other person's POV (Guess that is a bit of a reflection of the world right now if we're honest XD). Thought I'd take a different approach.

I mean you are right. I can't really dispute a lot of what you said. I have had the argument of firing Ole for poch with my inner circle of friends multiple times and I was on the side of hiring Poch because we need to be ruthless (I still don't know where I stand on this). I also felt that giving Ole that contract when we did was sheer stupidity.. Why not wait until the end of the year?! But it is what it is.

Since he's taken over he's changed aspects of the team that I did not expect him to do, and it's been refreshing. You say that others could do the job of cutting out the deadwood but based on the evidence of the 3 previous managers, the answer is clearly no. in fact all they did was add to that problem. you could argue that that is a result of the incompetencies of upper management and you'd hope that whatever restructuring that was done wouldn't need Ole to be there to carry on the change, but I genuinely feel Ole had a significant input in this and to me it's credit where it's due. Also, apart from Poch, I look around and I don't feel there's any high caliber managers that are a must get right now (or maybe I haven't been paying enough attention). To me, the elite managers are Pep and Klopp and they ain't coming here.

Changing managers to me is not a massive issue. What gets me is people fail to acknowledge that there are so many issues that played out to get us to where we are now. I believe that we are in the process of fixing these issues and part of that driving force is coming from Ole himself (with regards to the off-field changes at the football club, on-field performances, as we know, have been all over the place). I'm tentative on sacking him because I don't want to kill that momentum. But, I could be wrong... it's difficult to judge. Let's see what happens. I think he deserves another summer window and we can re-open this topic in a year's time. Happy to admit I called it badly if I have.
Fair enough mate.

My real problem is with the team and how the football is just so dire. How we've looked like a midtable side in almost every game he's been in charge, except for the rare occasion when we raise our game for a half against a rival. How it looks like an absolute chore to even get shots away, much less shots on target. Its just depressing.

And maybe thats not him, and its the coaching staff instead. Maybe he needs to have the same ruthless streak there and get rid of the deadwood coaches, and bring in some fresh ideas. I know there were times when SAF would look to freshen things up by bringing in a new No. 2. Because the set-up right now is not working.

And I would go back to my point about there being no excuse for us to not have the best available coaches and assistant coaches in the world.

suhaylah

Giving new contracts to Lingard and Jones was shocking decision from Ole

HarryRedCrumbs

What did you go for? The United pie?

I could make a joke about it being the perfect name for the pie, as it is also dry, dull and tasteless a bit like our football and our club, but I’ll resist...oh wait.

It was also a bit salty like a lot of our supporters...

Man of the Match

Harry Maguire image Harry Maguire 28% of 322 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 317 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Wolves win
  • Draw