CL L Champions League Champions League Group F

Young Boys 2:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 14 September 2021

The Hilton

Let me ask you, do you think City, Chelsea or Liverpool would have failed to get a touch of the ball the whole 2nd half?

Chelsea did a far far far better job at Anfield with 10 men than we could muster up against the whipping boys of the group.

AWB is an idiot. Our ball retention is pathetic. The subs were bizarre.
But Chelsea didn't do a better job, as with less time against 10 men Liverpool had more possession, shots, shots on target, and corners than we conceded tonight. They're just unfortunate Chelsea didn't have Lingard to give them a tap in.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I put AWB as MotM. He's off, showing the true nature of Ole.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
AWB sending off didn't help, but you can still win a game if you make the right decisions after that. Ole made some absolute whoppers. We got what we deserved.
Don't understand why he changed to a back 5. Left us far too exposed in midfield.
Especially against YB.
Looked like panic tactics.

Mike Smalling

My season so far.

Games watched: Southampton, Wolves, Young Boys
Games missed: Leeds, Newcastle

jimmyb2000

Don't think we needed to go so defensive straight after the red. Invited pressure for an hour.
It wasn't so much going defensive right away that fecked us - it was that Ole kept going more and more defensive as the match wore on.

Start of 2nd half we go 5-3-1......then he takes off our 2 best attackers and replaces them with Matic and Lingard. Its his 3rd defensive move in 30 minutes.

Then he starts to doubt himself and makes the single biggest error of the night - brings on Martial (who is hardly known for busting a gut even when he's in an 11) and from that point on we were playing with 9. We almost got away with it as well but I suppose there's some ironic poetic justice in that one of Oles defensive switches is the one to give away an awful back pass to lead to a goal.

Its weird - Ole goes more defensive.....YB attack more. Then to counter that he goes more defensive again and again. All the time inviting more and more pressure. Suddenly he sees the light .....Martial is the answer....

reelworld

Ole game management cost us this match. Simple as.
VdB for Varane was stupid. You don't take the only other midfielder who knows how to keep the ball. That being said, Maguire Varane needs to start every match until one of them is injured or it's a League Cup.
Lingard was a a pointless subs, why the feck would you need him?
If you need to take out Ronaldo, you replace him with a forward with pace, you don't take him out for Jesse fecking Lingard.
Matic should have come alot sooner. United actually managed to keep the ball better, just. But when you're midfield partner is Lingard, then you can't do much. Matic-Fred-VdB would actually fare much better to keep the ball
Playing with 10 men isn't ideal, but you don't give the opponents countless possessions to encourage them to have a go. You keep the fecking ball until the final whistle

Fredrik.A

Hopefully Jesse never plays for us again. Cant believe he came on instead of Mason or even Elanga.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
The logic made sense.
Ronaldo wasn't moving around, and we had no ball, so bringing on some energy, with the chance of a breakway was sound.

Ole wouldn't have expected him to pop up in the right back position and play an absolutely mental left foot back pass when under zero pressure.
A breakaway consisting of Lingard and who else? Everyone who had proper pace wasn't playing.Ole took Sancho off immediately after the red for some reason.

Ole even took off Bruno, one of the only two players who could make direct passes. The other one was busy holding on to the ball for too long and complaining about being harrassed physically like a Wenger era Arsenal player.

Hoof the ball

Be honest.....

Does anyone honestly believe that with this same squad that Tuchel, Pep or Klopp couldn't have:

1. Found a way for us to maintain possession, even with ten men.
2. Found a way for us to still be a goal-threat.

Something has to change. If it's not Ole, it's the coaching staff.

Fine, you don't have to be Ole out, but I think the very least every United fan should demand is a coaching group that is able to take a group fo very talented and elite players in every position and make them function how other equally good teams would in the same scenario.

Either Ole is out, or Ole is in and he surrounds himself with better and more competent coaching staff.

RedDevilQuebecois

I say it's time to get Roy Keane on the phone to name him associate manager. Someone needs to put those few idiots, who let everyone down today, through hell and that would serve as a warning to everyone else. Here's my list of immediate casualties if we get Keane in:
  • Wan Bissaka
  • Fred
  • Lingard
I could say a big chunk on the team deserve the torrent of abuse in Carrington, but those 3 names are on top of the list. As for Ole, he did this on himself with silly substitutions of his own too. Who the feck takes Cristiano Ronaldo off when the game is still on the line? Why Fred played for so long when he looked more like a ball in a pinball machine than a proper footballer? It's because of crap like this that we have won nothing so far.

Blood Mage

Well we got to see how our lovable coach manages a game with a man down. And boy was it a shitshow.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Once again, bunch of boomers on here telling us to be calm and that we'll be better in the future. Well, we've not played well all season and now it's cost us.

If we don't improve we'll be languishing a comfortable 3rd or 4th in the PL and won't progress far past the CL quarters, if that. But tell me how I'm not a real fan and go on how anyone except the obvious is to blame.

bdspeedy

It's like Groundhog Day. New season, same shit shower of a performance. Glazers the F out. I've never been Ole out but he isn't improving. He isn't evolving. He isn't adapting. Legend as player. Clueless, befuddled and cowardly as a coach. Something's got to change. Immediately.

Jacko21

Tied ourselves in knots after the red card. Inviting pressure seldom ends well - particularly with little to no outlet.

But only the first group game so plenty of time to recover.

NZT-One

Bored of the cafe these days. Really, really feckin bored. A game we looked like winning easily until an unfortunate tackle cost us a win and a bad back pass cost us a draw.

Yet again though a number of posters will just have to completely avoid the place for days until all the angry kids get it out of their system. Get a grip FFS
:D come on mate, what did you expect, when if not after this match "the angry kids" will be moving? At this point, I have to attest at least some complicity for getting triggered by them ^^

Let the emotions settle and the caf will be a calmer place. Eventually. In a while.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Here comes the Ole Out brigade.

Clearly, the AWB tackle was Ole’s fault. The deflected goal was Ole’s too, cause he went to a back 3 and brought Varane on. The bad pass by Lingard was his fault, too. The two shots on goal was his fault because he wasn’t aggressive enough at 1-0 on the road in the CL.

Pathetic “fans”. Ole played his hand with the cards he had.
Im totally Ole in but his changes and tactics tonight weren’t good. Yeah the red changed the game but our 10 should have been searching for a second against an outfit from outside the top 5 leagues. This is probably the greatest result in their history no?

oses14

Supports
FC Dallas (USA, hardly tho)
Rough night. Don't understand Ole parking the bus at the half and then doubling down are we get scored on. Why didn't he pull Fred off earlier, Fred is poor. Lingard should have done anything but pass it back because that could happen. Too many games are lost by last-second pass backs. Saw it with my brother in the playoffs for his league over here in the US and saw it here today.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
(Edited) Young Boys 20 goal atempts - Manchester United 2 goal atempts. Case closed.

Smores

It’s 100% AWB fault we are down to 10 men
it‘s 100% Ole fault with all the stupid subs and park the bus approach
it‘s 100% Lingard fault on losing the final goal which loss us the match
Pretty much this. The same people who always get upset at any criticism trying to make it an Ole out thing but discussing his feck ups is no different to discussing AWBs.

AWD fecked up, Ole fecked up. I don't want either gone but i do want both to not make the same mistake.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
A breakaway consisting of Lingard and who else? Everyone who had proper pace wasn't playing.Ole took Sancho off immediately after the red for some reason.

Ole even took off Bruno, one of the only two players who could make direct passes. The other one was busy holding on to the ball for too long and complaining about being harrassed physically like a Wenger era Arsenal player.
Bruno and Ronaldo barely touched the ball for about 20mins, and we were getting overrun.

It was just a freak game, sh!T pitch, very early red, trying to play 3 centre backs which we very rarely do. Dalot on the pitch which is very unusual. The whole thing was a mess really.

But that backpass was something special. I genuinely don't think he could play a ball that criminal again if he had another 99 goes.

Siorac

7 defeats in 11 Champions League games under Solskjaer.

That's not good.

DSG

Bored of the cafe these days. Really, really feckin bored. A game we looked like winning easily until an unfortunate tackle cost us a win and a bad back pass cost us a draw.

Yet again though a number of posters will just have to completely avoid the place for days until all the angry kids get it out of their system. Get a grip FFS
Agree with you @Bilbo. Most of the Caf — and certainly those that have never played at a high level and never played a man down for an extended period, are going to blame Ole and the players. Fake fans.

we lost, we made some mistakes. If we dwell on it instead of looking forward, it just affects the following matches.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
It’s 100% AWB fault we are down to 10 men
it‘s 100% Ole fault with all the stupid subs and park the bus approach
it‘s 100% Lingard fault on losing the final goal which loss us the match
100% agree.

Sviken

This was the worst tactical managerial performance I've ever seen from a United manager and that's not lightly from me to say given I've witnessed Moyes' Fulham game and van Gaal and Mourinho's tenures.

Glazers should be making a call to Zidane in right fecking now. And no more of this "let's get our buddies as coaches at United because they played for us" shit. Keep this on and we're gonna waste this squad's prime years with nothing to show for it. And then we're gonna have to have another rebuild.

RedTiger

Half mast

Agreed.

Bertie Wooster

I'm an Ole fan so this comment is based solely on this match - I thought some poor decisions were made as regards subs and tactics.

We went way too defensive way too soon and lacked shape and completely nullified our attacking threat. And I was amazed Greenwood never got utilised as one of the 5 subs with his pace and individual trickery on the break.

When AWB was sent off, I was hoping we'd just bring Varane on for Sancho and move Lindelof to RB and stick with a back four and two in front - Fred and either DVB or Matic. And leave Pogba, Ronaldo and Fernandes to offer attacking threat, with the likes of Greenwood and Lingard or Martial to come on for them later in the game for fresh legs.

Bringing on so many defensive players, and playing an unbalanced team with little attacking threat (and never using Greenwood) was a very poor approach to the 10 man situation and I watched the 2nd half almost resigned to exactly how it played out.

Player Ratings

4.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 280 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Young Boys win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 29% Young Boys 0:3 Man Utd
  • 22% Young Boys 0:2 Man Utd