CL L Champions League Champions League Group F

Young Boys 2:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 14 September 2021

Dante

Average bang
The club should never have allowed our midfield options to become so weak that Jesse Lingard had to play CM in the final minutes of a Champions League away match.

I know that half the threads on here seem to turn into a complaint about our midfield. But this game was a perfect example as to why. I really hope Ole is pushing for January reinforcements the way he did with Bruno. If West Ham get knocked out of the EL, I think we all know who the number one target is going to be.

That being said, in the grand scheme of things we should still be okay in the CL. We're only 1 point behind Atalanta and Villareal, with another 5 games to play.

Once McTominay comes back, we just need to get back to the tried and trusted McFred formula that got us 2nd place last season. With Varane behind them and Ronaldo ahead of them, it should be more than enough to keep us in the hunt until at least the transfer window.

I think Rashford would have been perfect for this game. He gets a lot of stick for taking risks that don't pay off. But this match was exactly the kind of situation he'd have thrived in - singlehandedly driving us up the pitch and pushing back the YB defensive line with his pace. Without him and James, United have lost arguably their most dangerous weapon from the past few seasons. In all the hype about Ronaldo, a lot of people seem to have forgotten that. It's a new team learning to play a new game. There was always going to be a bedding in period.

I'm still confident about our chances. There's a lot more to come from this squad, even without a new midfielder. But bring one in and we become solid challengers in all four competitions.

Godfather

The club should never have allowed our midfield options to become so weak that Jesse Lingard had to play CM in the final minutes of a Champions League away match.

I know that half the threads on here seem to turn into a complaint about our midfield. But this game was a perfect example as to why. I really hope Ole is pushing for January reinforcements the way he did with Bruno. If West Ham get knocked out of the EL, I think we all know who the number one target is going to be.

That being said, in the grand scheme of things we should still be okay in the CL. We're only 1 point behind Atalanta and Villareal, with another 5 games to play.

Once McTominay comes back, we just need to get back to the tried and trusted McFred formula that got us 2nd place last season. With Varane behind them and Ronaldo ahead of them, it should be more than enough to keep us in the hunt until at least the transfer window.

I think Rashford would have been perfect for this game. He gets a lot of stick for taking risks that don't pay off. But this match was exactly the kind of situation he'd have thrived in - singlehandedly driving us up the pitch and pushing back the YB defensive line with his pace. Without him and James, United have lost arguably their most dangerous weapon from the past few seasons. In all the hype about Ronaldo, a lot of people seem to have forgotten that. It's a new team learning to play a new game. There was always going to be a bedding in period.

I'm still confident about our chances. There's a lot more to come from this squad, even without a new midfielder. But bring one in and we become solid challengers in all four competitions.
There was no need for him to play there. Zero. Just an incredibly stupid in game management from Ole.

patch1

I think most people know that ole is tactically inept.I know the players did not help him but it seems he cannot get the best out of this star laden team.He has
no excuse for failure.

Jeffthered

We looked a pretty average team throughout this game... YBs are not a great side. But this is no surprise in CL under Ole. Not a coincidence.

Our squad should be better equipped to deal with such games.. red cards are part of the game.

Biggins

5 & 4. Get it right. We are right there supporting the team.Expecting people to pretend everything is hunky dory after losing to Young Boys is just daft.
It’s one freak result. We have 5 games to go. If we fail to top this CL group then complain but the outrage after only one CL game is just ridiculous. PSG drew against Brugge yesterday. Results like that just happen.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
We finished above 2 of those last season so why would it be that far-fetched?
We literally did finish ahead of 2 of them last season.
I literally watched us finish second ahead of Klopp and Tuchel last season.
Sure, i'll give you Liverpool (if you ignore the fact that they had virtually no defense) but Tuchel only joined Chelsea half way through the season so not really a fair comparison. And he picked up more points that united.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
It’s one freak result. We have 5 games to go. If we fail to top this CL group then complain but the outrage after only one CL game is just ridiculous. PSG drew against Brugge yesterday. Results like that just happen.
Sorry mate but that’s just bollocks talk.With the players we have and the start we made we should be beating Young Boys comfortably.You go out to win every game.You don’t excuse poor defeats by saying "Ah sure we have 5 games left".Not if you are serious.

rpg

Young Boys played their best game of the season. Look at how they run. Its their cup final.
Ole only sin is putting in Lingard.

ghagua

Some might say this is over-reaction, but with players like Pogba, Sancho, Fernades, and Ronaldo, we managed to create 2, (two) chances against a Young Boys team! This was not a one-off game. We saw that against Southampton, we saw that against Wolves! We need better coaching, we need a better manager. In a game where we need to push back after the sending-off, we needed to gain control of midfield, yet our manager decided to go 3 at the back and invite pressure on the team!

If he wanted to go 3 at the back, I would take taken off Maguire (controversial, yes) bring on Varane, and play Lindelof, Varane, and Shaw at the back and bring on Matic in midfield.

Biggins

Sorry mate but that’s just bollocks talk.With the players we have and the start we made we should be beating Young Boys comfortably.You go out to win every game.You don’t excuse poor defeats by saying "Ah sure we have 5 games left".Not if you are serious.
And we would have won if AWB had not been sent off... It is pointless tearing your hair out after losing the fist CL game. Still 15 pointa for grabs and I'm sure the boys and Ole will do everything to win the remaining games. If we fail to qualify then by all means complain and demand for Ole to be sacked. So far we had a good start to the season and this result against Young Boys is a freak result in my books.

RedCheekz

fecking hell! There are some cnuts on here.
Did I really deserve to be called that with regards what I posted.
I feel lingard has had his chance and many of them, he has let us down consistently, shown in the past he more interested his brand, getting railoa to be his agent was last straw for me.
He’s simply not good enough be a Manchester United player. That is my opinion

Coops73

I feel lingard has had his chance and many of them, he has let us down consistently, shown in the past he more interested his brand, getting railoa to be his agent was last straw for me.
Yeah, bit much

I wasn’t referring to you per se but it boils my piss when people talk about players like they’ve just committed some horrendous act, it’s an overreaction to a mistake made in a game of football and the vilification Lingard gets on here in particular is out of order at times.

Don’t get me wrong I’ve had my fair share of comments on Pogba for example but Lingard has never disrespected the club or it’s fans and yeah he may not be the greatest player to pull on a United shirt and yeah he can come across as a bit of twat with his Instagram stuff but he’s been at the club since he was a kid, has been on loan more than once and has always come back and gave it his all when he’s played and he dropped Raiola a year or 2 ago and is represented by his family now I believe, so when I see comments like yours I find it annoying and I knew they’d be coming.

To be fair I should stay away from the forum for a few days after a game, particularly after a bad result because it’s like a kindergarten in here with some of the reactions.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
And we would have won if AWB had not been sent off... It is pointless tearing your hair out after losing the fist CL game. Still 15 pointa for grabs and I'm sure the boys and Ole will do everything to win the remaining games. If we fail to qualify then by all means complain and demand for Ole to be sacked. So far we had a good start to the season and this result against Young Boys is a freak result in my books.
Believe me I am not tearing my hair out. Not that sure we would have won without the red either.We weren’t exactly bossing it were we?

Godfather

Can't remember being mocked that much after a football game for a long time. Even a fecking Arsenal supporting colleague had a go. The cheek of the guy.

TheRedHearted

Believe me I am not tearing my hair out. Not that sure we would have won without the red either.We weren’t exactly bossing it were we?
They were swarming us with press. It looked like we couldn’t even breathe. Look at how many shots we had before the sending off. One that was Ronaldo’s and idk when the other one was. We had no energy and no pattern of play

sugar_kane

Congratulations guys, this thread is now double the length of the Leeds thread and more than double that of the Newcastle thread. Wonder why.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
He'll still get more minutes than donny.

DSG

Why reply then?

You reply as if you have some kind of weird superiority complex about football tactics that you need to exercise, except you do this while trying to explain how playing poorly and losing to a vastly inferior opponent was tactically the correct thing to do, which just makes you look like an idiot who's being obnoxious for the sake of it.

I don't provide an in depth analysis because it isn't really needed. Playing with 10 men and leaving yourself with no functioning midfield or attacking threat, and playing players in positions they can't play in due to making ill thought out substitutions = bad management. Watching the game backs this up, the stats back this up, the result backs this up.

No amount of snotty tactical analysis nerdery is really needed. We can go into that when the tactics actually make any sense beyond "put extra defender on and hope other team doesn't score" in the first place.

You are also allowed to reply to people and disagree like a normal person rather than immediately turn it into some kind of battle of who is better. I realise this is very hard for people on here but it is actually quite possible.
Call me old fashioned, but if you and others are going to criticize Ole for poor tactics, you should at least be able to understand / have a take on the tactics he should have used. There is a group on the Caf who have an agenda, and all losses are blamed on Ole’s tactics. That’s unfair. Ole is not perfect, no manager is. There are matches when I am mad at Ole and think he got it wrong. Fine. But the backlash to his tactics in this match was not the issue. The players made stupid mistakes. If Lingard doesn’t make that terrible back pass, we probably don’t have 24 pages of post game rants.

Not trying to come off as superior. Data and information are critical. Unfortunately, we live in an era of black and white and polarized camps in just about every aspect of life. It’s sad that we have refused to recognize that life has issues that are incredibly complex, and some level of nuance is required to properly solve.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Call me old fashioned, but if you and others are going to criticize Ole for poor tactics, you should at least be able to understand / have a take on the tactics he should have used. There is a group on the Caf who have an agenda, and all losses are blamed on Ole’s tactics. That’s unfair. Ole is not perfect, no manager is. There are matches when I am mad at Ole and think he got it wrong. Fine. But the backlash to his tactics in this match was not the issue. The players made stupid mistakes. If Lingard doesn’t make that terrible back pass, we probably don’t have 24 pages of post game rants.

Not trying to come off as superior. Data and information are critical. Unfortunately, we live in an era of black and white and polarized camps in just about every aspect of life. It’s sad that we have refused to recognize that life has issues that are incredibly complex, and some level of nuance is required to properly solve.
The issue is Lingard should never have been in a position to make that mistake in the first place. Of course Ole can't be blamed for Lingard's ridiculous brainfart, but he absolutely can be blamed for his substitutions that have collectively reduced the level of the team on the pitch. A good manager is additive in terms of game management; Ole has never demonstrated that he is capable of this and worrying from a United perspective he has not shown any signs of improvement over the last 3 years in this respect.

DSG

The issue is Lingard should never have been in a position to make that mistake in the first place. Of course Ole can't be blamed for Lingard's ridiculous brainfart, but he absolutely can be blamed for his substitutions that have collectively reduced the level of the team on the pitch. A good manager is additive in terms of game management; Ole has never demonstrated that he is capable of this and worrying from a United perspective he has not shown any signs of improvement over the last 3 years in this respect.
??? You are right. The players are not accountable for their performances, just the manager. :lol: I have great respect for Tuchel, he’s one of the best tactical managers in world football. Ole isn’t as astute as Tuchel from a tactical perspective, but the narrative that Ole is tactically naive is complete crap.

‘When we cease to make players accountable for performances, we’ve lost it.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
??? You are right. The players are not accountable for their performances, just the manager. :lol: I have great respect for Tuchel, he’s one of the best tactical managers in world football. Ole isn’t as astute as Tuchel from a tactical perspective, but the narrative that Ole is tactically naive is complete crap.

‘When we cease to make players accountable for performances, we’ve lost it.
Certainly I am not and would not argue that Lingard is blameless - but at this point if anyone is surprised that he can't do a job as a central midfielder, that's on them surely?

Don't know how anyone can argue with a straight face that taking Fred off for Martial and moving Lingard to central midfield made even the slightest bit of sense. Of course it was a braindead pass, but when you're putting a player into a new and unfamiliar situation for no discernible reason in the 86th minute a large part of the blame goes to the manager, especially in the wake of his other disastrous subs.

Keefy18

Totally agree with your assessment. Another night we would have won that game comfortably. The early red card cost us and was a silly spur in the moment challenge, hopefully AWB learns from that. We were 30 seconds from a good point playing most of the game with 10 men in a hostile stadium in which the crowd were dictating the refs decisions... A total brain fart from Jessie cost us that point. This is down to player errors not the manager, he was forced into the subs due to the constant pressure we were under for most of the game. These things happen. People round here lose patience too quickly and call for the manager's head after every defeat.
Absolutely it very much is small margins quite often.

Same folks slaughtering me for trying to portray this and Ole not being at fault won't praise him for the same sub yesterday and Jesse's winning goal.

Keefy18

I'm not the one trying to argue that you lot losing away at Young Boys is more impressive than Chelsea getting a draw at Anfield!
Not the result, the performance.

There's a difference.

The user gave an example where Chelsea apparently maintained possession, created chances, used set pieces to their advantage.

I simply pointed out it was a poor example given his aforementioned demands.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Not the result, the performance.

There's a difference.

The user gave an example where Chelsea apparently maintained possession, created chances, used set pieces to their advantage.

I simply pointed out it was a poor example given his aforementioned demands.
You had 2 shots against Young Boys mate.

Keefy18

You had 2 shots against Young Boys mate.
We played 55 mins with a man down mate ;)

Chelsea ten mins less than that.

The point remains.

Law of averages, most teams playing with a player less will play with their backs to the wall regardless of the opposition.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
We played 55 mins with a man down mate ;)

Chelsea ten mins less than that.

The point remains.

Law of averages, most teams playing with a player less will play with their backs to the wall regardless of the opposition.
Of course? But what exactly makes you think that United's performance was better than Chelsea's?

Player Ratings

4.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 280 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Young Boys win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 29% Young Boys 0:3 Man Utd
  • 22% Young Boys 0:2 Man Utd