Posts actually made on a day we beat West Ham away 2-1 with Jesse Lingard scoring the winner in the last minute

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bestietom

You don't join a football forum to say nice things all the time.
Yes, some will whinge no matter how the team play, but most will say it as they see it.

Pickle85

I’m not among them but I struggle to see the rational for making an entire thread pointing fingers at posters who bemoaned a player coming on who has generally been poor for us and gave away a crucial goal in a CL game last week…him then scoring a great winner doesn’t rewrite the past.

If someone posts something really out of order, verbally abuses Lingard or other posters this is warranted but having a measured opinion on a player is the lifeblood of this forum.
I suspect the clue could be in the OP's name, in which case...mission success.

Pickle85

They actually seem a normal poster in fairness, the effort required to do this would just make it super weird if a wum.
I think they just like having fun with people, as well as being very, very pro Ole (not a bad thing!) and very averse to criticising him.

tomaldinho1

I think they just like having fun with people, as well as being very, very pro Ole (not a bad thing!) and very averse to criticising him.
PrOle vs ConOle, two pasta dishes or two warring factions…you decide.

SteveCoppellFan

All football fans are fickle my nature, United fans are no different.

Everything is either great or rubbish.

Ole bringing on Matic for Fred in the 88th minute when we should be trying to win a game of football would normally get a justified level of abuse thrown at Ole.

But Matic sending what was really a straight forward pass to Lingard who then produced a moment of individual magic and all of a sudden the Matic substitution was a stroke of genius by Ole.

Fans perspectives can change minute by minute so we are always going to get a load of knee jerk posts during a game, no real need to hold them accountable just because we were rather lucky to get a late winner.

MattofManchester

Didn't you just devote your time to "something as mundane and tactless as this."?

Maybe you want to take your own advise. Play solitaire. Do something else.
Reaching a bit, aren't you?

Me making a post calling this thread pathetic vs him taking the absolute time and energy to gather a list of posts, in the matchday thread no less, so he can gain a little bit of attention and validation.

Reaching.

wolvored

Did you do this after Young Boys game I wonder and will you be doing it after we lose to someone else?

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Looking at the reactions I'd say this thread was successful. 7/10

flappyjay

Following up from my successful thread from the Leeds game earlier in the season.

]
With the 2 years he had prior it's up to him to prove his doubters wrong in a Red shirt. We can't just pretend he wasn't bad for 2 years. If he plays anywhere near his westham level for us those comments won't be coming up.

The Hilton

Reaching a bit, aren't you?

Me making a post calling this thread pathetic vs him taking the absolute time and energy to gather a list of posts, in the matchday thread no less, so he can gain a little bit of attention and validation.

Reaching.
It probably took him less than a minute longer than your post took you, the multi quote functionality makes it really easy to quote multiple posts.

Mr Smith

I feel Ole hasn't got the credit for the man management of someone like Lingard. I felt he should have been sold and it would have been very easy after his mistake at Young Boys to keep him out of the firing line for a few weeks. Ole trusted him, backed him and got rewarded. Same with De Gea, who many here had long written off. He's persisted, backed him, and now De Gea looks back to his best. Ole gets criticised for his game management (often deservedly), but his man management doesn't get anywhere near enough credit.

Syphon Wallet

Lingard is the 12th name on the team sheet right now for me.
Has to be.
At least until Sancho sorts himself out and Rashford returns.

RUCK4444

Excellent idea for a thread this.

Might make a few think before posting irrational hatred in every matchday thread.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Love the the thread. Should be treated the way it’s meant to be- with a bit of a laugh. If you can’t laugh at yourself what can you do? I’ve overreacted in match day threads before now and if one of mine was quoted in here I’d laugh and just be glad United won.

The Hilton

As for the thread, I would support something like this becoming a regular feature.

The match thread is full of childish toxicity, plenty of posters who would rather justify their own biases rather than supporting the team, hopefully the threat of being quoted will make people start to think a little before they post a tantrum on a the forum.

Or alternatively, as others have mentioned, you should be able to look back and laugh your sillier posts. Either way, it's a win.

El Zoido

Seriously? Happy for Lingard that he did score a worldie. Lightning doesn't strike twice and hope we don't do that again. Taking Pogba off when Fred was embarrassing , has the potential to be one of the worst ever decisions.
Maybe Lingard is better than he gets credit for. He scored a worldie to win us the FA Cup, and has proved to be very good on his day. I wasn’t surprised by his winner on Sunday, he’s capable of some real moments of quality and is definitely not a bad option to have off the bench.

cyberman

Seriously? Happy for Lingard that he did score a worldie. Lightning doesn't strike twice and hope we don't do that again. Taking Pogba off when Fred was embarrassing , has the potential to be one of the worst ever decisions.
He has already scored two fantastic goals in 2 sub league appearances in a row?
It doesn’t seem you’re that happy for Lingard tbh

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
This is the other extreme from those quoted in the OP. The man literally cost us a CL game a week ago.
….& arguably De Gea cost us a EL title with his limp dick of a penalty.

Mistakes happen, Lingard is definitely a capable and game winning sub, I’m all for letting Lingard happen.

matsdf

Love the thread Wumm! You are the hero this forum needs but most certainly does not deserve!

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
The matchday forum is like being at the pub - kneejerk reactions with your mates, driven entirely on the emotion you feel while watching the game.

There's no deep analysis or even shallow analysis - and it's weird to expect otherwise.

Threads like these are the equivalent of sitting in silence with your mates at the pub as they react to the match, then once full-time hits you pull out your phone and go "I can see you're all happy now, but remember in the 57th minute when you said McTominay was shit....oh you don't? Luckily I've been recording the entire game. Let's have a listen"
Gold!
/thread

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
The matchday forum is like being at the pub - kneejerk reactions with your mates, driven entirely on the emotion you feel while watching the game.

There's no deep analysis or even shallow analysis - and it's weird to expect otherwise.

Threads like these are the equivalent of sitting in silence with your mates at the pub as they react to the match, then once full-time hits you pull out your phone and go "I can see you're all happy now, but remember in the 57th minute when you said McTominay was shit....oh you don't? Luckily I've been recording the entire game. Let's have a listen"
To be fair, if anyone of my mates said anything that stupid during the match in the pub, I'd be gunning them during and after the match, and probably for a few days after. Stupid opinions get treated as such, and if they're whoppers, expect a lot of ribbing.

I wouldn't have had to have recorded it, because I have something called a memory, as do my other mates who would have witnessed said stupid opinion, but when you're talking about a forum of thousands, it's useful to reference where the idiocy lies.

Anyway, @Wumminator , excellent thread, just like the Leeds one. Maybe it should have its own sticky in the Mains.

tomaldinho1

I cannot believe you'd write this after being here for six years.
Wumminator pales in comparison to some of the posters we’ve had. For one, they are semi literate and DON’T WRITE LIKE THIS…good old Sammsky :lol:

Verminator

To be fair, a reasonable number of shitposts were immediately called out by the posters, themselves, in the match thread.
Whether that will temper their ardour in the next match thread, remains to be seen, but it at least showed some self-awareness.

stw2022

Let’s nobody pass an opinion

I’m sure a scroll through everyone’s posts in every match day thread for last couple of years will never reveal a single criticism of any player who later on went on to score at any point that season. Just a series of “Go Team” encouragement posts

Everyone loves that guy in the pub when everyone’s putting their coat on to leave after the game who comes up with his notepad and says “Can I remind you that in the 34th minute you said that the number 5 couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo, when he missed a chance but in actual fact he did score 7 minutes later.”

Happens all the time.

Last edited:

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Let’s nobody pass an opinion

I’m sure a scroll through everyone’s posts in every match day thread for last couple of years will never reveal a single criticism of any player who later on went on to score at any point that season. Just a series of “Go Team” encouragement posts

Everyone loves that guy in the pub when everyone’s putting their coat on to leave after the game who comes up with his notepad and says “Can I remind you that in the 34th minute you said that the number 5 couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo, when he missed a chance but in actual fact he did score 7 minutes later.”

Happens all the time.
It usually goes more like "Was it you that started crying when Lingard came on? Loll"

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Imagine shitting yourself in the pub, flinging that shit everywhere, wiping the shit on your friend’s drink and then when they point out that you’re covered in shit asking why they are being weird enough to point it out.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
So what if they made these posts. We are all glad the sub worked out but Lingard is a horrendous player.
Horrendous players don’t score goals of that calibre. Whether or not he’s a Utd player is a different debate but to describe him as ‘horrendous’ is absurd

Flytan

Horrendous players don’t score goals of that calibre. Whether or not he’s a Utd player is a different debate but to describe him as ‘horrendous’ is absurd
I think most sane people realize Lingard is a mediocre player that relies almost entirely on form. He's not like Pogba or a good striker where if they're playing poorly they'll still randomly make something good happen.

That being said, this post is an embarrassment (the topic not your reply).

He came on and scored a random goal. I'm glad the team won and good for him that he scored it, however after the midweek he had (and how he's running down his contract while not wanting to leave) of course posters are going to be negative about him. I also bet you wouldn't have posted this if he waddled around the pitch and made a massive error like he did midweek, which plenty of the same people probably called.

Dve

So what? The club should give Lingard a lifetime contract because he scored a goal? Fair play to him but this is pathetic. He's not fit to be a United player and one goal doesn't change that. Neither did his "assist" for Young Boys. Would be a decent signing for a midtable club, but United are not a midtable club (or at least it shouldn't be)
Right now, he´s fit to be a United player, and he´s looked like a United player for a while, and I don´t see why you so aggressively are dismissing his improvements. Last season, Martial didn´t look like a United player, the season before he die. A couple of seasons ago, John Stones certainly didn´t look like a City player, now he does. If you get my point.

Status
Not open for further replies.