Potential CB Options

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Are we really after a new CB? I've not heard that Ole has said that United are looking for a new CB, so is this all mere speculation.
To me the best two CB's at the club are now in harness, and also the fact that AWB seems a better player with Bailly alongside him suggests to me that AWB was being coached to tuck in slightly behind Lindelof, to protect that space in behind, as neither Lindelof or Maguire have enough pace to recover if the ball is played in behind them, with Bailly there, AWB can cover a more natural RB position, covering the far post, which he certainly did well for the most part against Villa. He also seemed to get forward a little more, possibly knowing that Bailly has the pace to cover his own position and AWB's position when he pushes forward.
So I come back to my first sentence, are United REALLY looking for a new CB, personally I don't think we are. Tuanzebe, Mengi, Fish, Kambwala, all promising players who could make the grade, so does Ole have faith in their progression, I think he does.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We need centre halves out of the door first and foremost.

croadyman

Are we really after a new CB? I've not heard that Ole has said that United are looking for a new CB, so is this all mere speculation.
To me the best two CB's at the club are now in harness, and also the fact that AWB seems a better player with Bailly alongside him suggests to me that AWB was being coached to tuck in slightly behind Lindelof, to protect that space in behind, as neither Lindelof or Maguire have enough pace to recover if the ball is played in behind them, with Bailly there, AWB can cover a more natural RB position, covering the far post, which he certainly did well for the most part against Villa. He also seemed to get forward a little more, possibly knowing that Bailly has the pace to cover his own position and AWB's position when he pushes forward.
So I come back to my first sentence, are United REALLY looking for a new CB, personally I don't think we are. Tuanzebe, Mengi, Fish, Kambwala, all promising players who could make the grade, so does Ole have faith in their progression, I think he does.
Well put it this way I would be disappointed if we don't sign one in the summer despite the young players you mentioned above, personally feel it would be unfair to put that amount of pressure on young shoulders and 4 proper CB's isn't really enough in the squad when two of them have poor injury history as well.

croadyman

I keep hoping he can be the answer - seems to “have all the tools” as they say, if only he can stay fit.
Yeah he does seem to have all the tools but my biggest worry is him & Bailly breaking down with injuries and then we are left having to play Maguire & Lindelof in every game. That is the only reason I would make a case for us to bring in a CB right now just in case that very scenario became a reality.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I keep hoping he can be the answer - seems to “have all the tools” as they say, if only he can stay fit.
Tuanzebe should probably be sold. I suspect he’d fetch a decent fee.

He’s 23 and firmly fourth choice centre half here. The 3 players ahead of him are 26 and 27, not exactly old - and literally all of the centre halves we are linked with/caf wants us to sign are younger than him. Leading young centre halves like De Ligt, Upamecano, Konate, Kabak, Fofana and others are all younger than him and already better. Other names we have been linked with like Botman, Medina and Carmo that have come up are all younger too.

Not sure what role Axel is really going to play going forward. Maguire and Lindelöf has been Ole’s overwhelming first choice, and injury led him to Bailly before opting for Axel. These are all young players. If we are offered £20m or so we should probably sell.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Well put it this way I would be disappointed if we don't sign one in the summer despite the young players you mentioned above, personally feel it would be unfair to put that amount of pressure on young shoulders and 4 proper CB's isn't really enough in the squad when two of them have poor injury history as well.
I can see why you feel a new CB is needed, but sometimes giving a younger player the opportunity to play is all they need.
What I was trying to point out, was that Ole has not, to my knowledge, come out and stated that we are looking at a CB. We could be, none of us really know, and I think that those younger players I mentioned, are definitely in Ole's plans going forward. Tuanzebe is already in the squad, and with Jones and Rojo on the way out, Mengi and Fish have trained with the squad.
I suppose Ole's dilemma is that he has a limited budget to play with, so should he sign a CB, CDM, Striker or RW as most posters think that is where we need to improve?

Van Becks

Kobak could be available for 20m or less and he seems more than OK and just 21years. For konate he could be available for 40 but with his club in a league title fight it will be very hard to let him go in Jan.
So I think kobak is the more realistic.

croadyman

I can see why you feel a new CB is needed, but sometimes giving a younger player the opportunity to play is all they need.
What I was trying to point out, was that Ole has not, to my knowledge, come out and stated that we are looking at a CB. We could be, none of us really know, and I think that those younger players I mentioned, are definitely in Ole's plans going forward. Tuanzebe is already in the squad, and with Jones and Rojo on the way out, Mengi and Fish have trained with the squad.
I suppose Ole's dilemma is that he has a limited budget to play with, so should he sign a CB, CDM, Striker or RW as most posters think that is where we need to improve?
Personally think we need a CDM the most out of those positions that you mentioned, yes I know we may end up signing that Caicedo but by the sounds of it he is more of a box to box player but has got defensive attributes as well. I can see us taking up the option to sign up Cavani for another year then could well move for Haaland in the summer of 2022. We could still well move for Sancho again in the summer but think that really depends on how well Diallo/Pallestri does when they get that opportunity.

Bondi77

What im stating below has nothing to do with Axel or my faith in him...

But this argument doesnt make any sense.. This is an n of 1 in e GROUPSTAGE game of the Champions League.. This argument is just as valid for every one day World Cup wonder..
One day World Cup wonder????
You may choose not to reference Axel when my post was a direct reference to him so that should tell you that I have seen him play on more than one occasion so I am aware of his ability.
I get excited when I see a young player come through our ranks and put in a stellar performance against Neymar and Mbappe whom are two players lauded to inherit the title of best in the world in the near future and I would not care if that was preseason but it was not it was a competitive away tie in the biggest club comp in the world.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I keep saying we should keep an eye on Kounde I think he will be like Bruno’s type of signing, I have been impressed with him from what I watched him, Sevilla this season only conceded 11 in the league in 15 games, 2nd best in the league.

I’m not expecting us to sign centre back this January, I doubt it‘s the best time knowing that it can kills the harmony of the team now unless we have Lindelof & Bailly getting injured this month and out to end of the season (not going to pray for that), no chance we will push it to sign new centre back. But for the summer 2021, I think we should trying to spend lot of the money on Kounde. Quick, good in one on one, also ball playing, strong enough for PL & not injury prone, basically Bailly but more consistent and injury free is what we need to sign.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I haven't watched a lot of Sevilla or Kounde but looking at the La Liga league table it looks like they don't score many goals. So in 15 games they've conceded 11 and scored 18 which makes me think, are they defending in numbers hence their goals column is suffering? Kounde is also about 5'9 or 5'10 which is a little concerning in the English league and would put Maguire under more pressure to win the majority of his aerial duels.

If someone who watches Sevilla play regularly shed light on their play style, then that would be much appreciated.

Tallis

We definitely need a new CB. If Axel or Bailly had better fitness records, we could possibly see Ole being happy with what we had.​

croadyman

I keep saying we should keep an eye on Kounde I think he will be like Bruno’s type of signing, I have been impressed with him from what I watched him, Sevilla this season only conceded 11 in the league in 15 games, 2nd best in the league.

I’m not expecting us to sign centre back this January, I doubt it‘s the best time knowing that it can kills the harmony of the team now unless we have Lindelof & Bailly getting injured this month and out to end of the season (not going to pray for that), no chance we will push it to sign new centre back. But for the summer 2021, I think we should trying to spend lot of the money on Kounde. Quick, good in one on one, also ball playing, strong enough for PL & not injury prone, basically Bailly but more consistent and injury free is what we need to sign.
Yeah I would expect us to wait until the summer for a CB as well because there will be more options on the table then, however I still have this nagging concern of us dropping away this season if either of Eric or Axel ends up getting injured for a sustained period of time

Jibbs

I haven't watched a lot of Sevilla or Kounde but looking at the La Liga league table it looks like they don't score many goals. So in 15 games they've conceded 11 and scored 18 which makes me think, are they defending in numbers hence their goals column is suffering? Kounde is also about 5'9 or 5'10 which is a little concerning in the English league and would put Maguire under more pressure to win the majority of his aerial duels.

If someone who watches Sevilla play regularly shed light on their play style, then that would be much appreciated.
He seems one of those players who can play multiple positions. He plays at RB very well also can play that DM and interceptor role pretty well in midfield. He is often seen in the middle of the park.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
One day World Cup wonder????
You may choose not to reference Axel when my post was a direct reference to him so that should tell you that I have seen him play on more than one occasion so I am aware of his ability.
I get excited when I see a young player come through our ranks and put in a stellar performance against Neymar and Mbappe whom are two players lauded to inherit the title of best in the world in the near future and I would not care if that was preseason but it was not it was a competitive away tie in the biggest club comp in the world.
All fair and true ofcourse.. I also got excited after that match, as it was indeed tense, impressive and againt world stars.. I only state your conclusion that he per definition a big game player because he played well in one 'big' game is a bit premature... There are many players who had one or some amazing big games but didnt show shit in any major game afterwards..

Bondi77

All fair and true ofcourse.. I also got excited after that match, as it was indeed tense, impressive and againt world stars.. I only state your conclusion that he per definition a big game player because he played well in one 'big' game is a bit premature... There are many players who had one or some amazing big games but didnt show shit in any major game afterwards..
There are not many players that I have seen that are consistently good in the big games and the ones that I have would be put in the bracket that is known as World Class.
The reason I was happy with the particular performance of Axel was that it showed he had the ABILITY to deal with the mentioned players so if he could do that on a regular basis there is no doubt that he would be a starting player for us.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
There are not many players that I have seen that are consistently good in the big games and the ones that I have would be put in the bracket that is known as World Class.
The reason I was happy with the particular performance of Axel was that it showed he had the ABILITY to deal with the mentioned players so if he could do that on a regular basis there is no doubt that he would be a starting player for us.
Worth noting that he also played in a 3, not a two that night. He had a couple of highlight moments where he kept pace with Mbappé, but since then- he has reverted to a more normal level of performance.

He’s currently fit, and Lindelöf is currently injured, yet he can’t get in the team. I do feel he’s become a bit of an urban myth. The Tuanzebe we talk about online and the actual Tuanzebe that pulls on the red shirt (occasionally) look to be two very different players to me. I feel that it would take for that shirt to change colour before some of us start calling it as it is actually occurring.

::sonny::

Vestergaard would be a too smart option so it will not be considered

Skriniar is available

Gimenez (not for sale and Atletico are richer)

arthurka

I agree when I have seen him play for Sevilla he has been excellent.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
What do people think of Merih Demiral? I've been watching a bit more of him of late and he looks like a good player who'd fit well in the PL. I wouldn't say he has many stand-out attributes, but seems pretty rounded in terms of physicality, pace, ability on the ball and all-round defensive instincts.

Could be available as well? I wouldn't say he's cemented a place in the XI at Juve and if they are after Pogba as suggested he could be involved in a swap deal. Injuries could be an issue though as he's missed time with ACL & muscular injuries in the last 12 months.

Tony247

Many were calling to sign Dias and he was available at reasonable price, straight into first team. But no. Doing smart businesses is not in our nature.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Many were calling to sign Dias and he was available at reasonable price, straight into first team. But no. Doing smart businesses is not in our nature.
We can still sign a potentially very good CB as long as we stick to the criteria that's being reported in the media. City paid over £60m for Dias? And I believe we could potentially sign a CB with similar potential for less.

croadyman

We can still sign a potentially very good CB as long as we stick to the criteria that's being reported in the media. City paid over £60m for Dias? And I believe we could potentially sign a CB with similar potential for less.
Do you mean in January or the summer

passing-wind

What do people think of Merih Demiral? I've been watching a bit more of him of late and he looks like a good player who'd fit well in the PL. I wouldn't say he has many stand-out attributes, but seems pretty rounded in terms of physicality, pace, ability on the ball and all-round defensive instincts.

Could be available as well? I wouldn't say he's cemented a place in the XI at Juve and if they are after Pogba as suggested he could be involved in a swap deal. Injuries could be an issue though as he's missed time with ACL & muscular injuries in the last 12 months.
The last time I watched Demiral before his injury he was Juventus best defender keeping De Ligt out the first team. I think the names mentioned in this thread are credible, the Intel in the forums for players to look out for in certain positions is usually a good shout. I've heard Kounde (Sevilla) has been very good this season from rival fans. Konate supposedly is the lesser rated but better player to Upamecano from what I've heard too.

I think a big consideration to our next defensive signing is the aspect of mobility. We cannot have two immobile defenders with the partnership of Maguire.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Still should have paid it though because we lack leadership at the back badly
Think it's knee jerk to suggest Dias is now all of a sudden good value. He's playing well, for sure, but 60m isn't a reasonable price.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Do you mean in January or the summer
I think it would be difficult to sign a potentially very good CB who is the first choice target on the short list in the current window. But there are a few who might be available but those targets will likely not be first choice ones. So i'd say the summer window would be the best bet unless the club surprises us which is always a possibility.

croadyman

I think it would be difficult to sign a potentially very good CB who is the first choice target on the short list in the current window. But there are a few who might be available but those targets will likely not be first choice ones. So i'd say the summer window would be the best bet unless the club surprises us which is always a possibility.
I just want us to pair Maguire & Bailly/Tuanzebe certainly not Lindelof

croadyman

Still cannot decide if the club are looking for purely a LCB in the summer such as Torres/Badiashile/Medina/Carmo or not fussed and just want to bring in a RCB like Konate/Kounde instead.

Last edited:

LuckyScout78

I vote for Vestergaard this transfer window. Last time United had a giant Danish. It was a golden era.

Good for United that the vikings invaded England and United.
Ole and Peter the big last time.
Now the vikings are back.
Ole, Vestergaard and Haaland.

So the manuscript has might been written. The vikings golden era is back. United current Cbs don’t score many and enough set piece goals. Bring the giant danish might help some.

If not Vestergaard. Then i am satisfy with United current back. Bailly might turn out to be really good. United do have really fast CBs in Bailly, Tuanzebe and Mengi. United need a cb who can score 4-6 set pieces goals each season. Vestergaard had 3 goals already.

Sum up. Vestergaard or wait until the summer transfer window. Personally for me.

davidmichael

Does anyone know how Zagadou at Dortmund has been this season and how he was last season ? I know he was highly rated a couple of years ago and he’s left footed, only 22/23 if I remember right so a great age.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Tarkowski is class and has 18 months left I think?

Murray3007

to be fair hes turned out a cracking signing but the price they paid was a massive gamble considering he was coming from Portugal, mad to think hes done better in the prem then he did in that league