Potential CB Options

LuckyScout78

Teden Mengi from Derby County. United shall send scout to watch him or make a call to Rooney.

I think many has forgot United has a really pacey, aggressive and good all round upcoming CB.

United do have a lot of pacey CB in the first team squad. United just need a world class dominant CB. To lead, guide and motivated those youngsters.
Im not worry about pace. And i have just found out, that Ole prefer and pick Lindelof over Bailly. Give Bailly a run of matches. Then you will see the difference.
Defend ability comes first. And with Bailly really good one one on ability and crazy blocks. I prefer kung fu Bailly over Lindelof any day of the week. Lindelof shall consider for the right back spot. Lindelof is good forward with the ball. But as a CB. Your main job is to protect your goal and castle. If you focus on attack too much. Stay high with your backline against pacey attackers. Then you will lost your castle...anytime. No ball shall hit your goal and castle. Protect your goalkeeper and goal.

Those are a pro football players. Playing and training football nearly everyday. I expect CB shall be good with basic ball abilities. Then passing and run with the ball are not the most difficult thing. Keep it simple, focus and 100% determination with the ball.
Because if you are average with the basic ball ability. You shall practice more. Basic ball ability can always improve.

I am not talking about CBs on league 1 or 2 level. If you are a CB playing for such a big club like United. Then i expect a lot. Teden Mengi is good enough with the ball , playing for United. Same as Bailly.

Bwuk

Teden Mengi from Derby County. United shall send scout to watch him or make a call to Rooney.

I think many has forgot United has a really pacey, aggressive and good all round upcoming CB.

United do have a lot of pacey CB in the first team squad. United just need a world class dominant CB. To lead, guide and motivated those youngsters.
Im not worry about pace. And i have just found out, that Ole prefer and pick Lindelof over Bailly. Give Bailly a run of matches. Then you will see the difference.
Defend ability comes first. And with Bailly really good one one on ability and crazy blocks. I prefer kung fu Bailly over Lindelof any day of the week. Lindelof shall consider for the right back spot. Lindelof is good forward with the ball. But as a CB. Your main job is to protect your goal and castle. If you focus on attack too much. Stay high with your backline against pacey attackers. Then you will lost your castle...anytime. No ball shall hit your goal and castle. Protect your goalkeeper and goal.

Those are a pro football players. Playing and training football nearly everyday. I expect CB shall be good with basic ball abilities. Then passing and run with the ball are not the most difficult thing. Keep it simple, focus and 100% determination with the ball.
Because if you are average with the basic ball ability. You shall practice more. Basic ball ability can always improve.

I am not talking about CBs on league 1 or 2 level. If you are a CB playing for such a big club like United. Then i expect a lot. Teden Mengi is good enough with the ball , playing for United. Same as Bailly.
Be honest, have you ever seen Mengi play?

He was apparently Derby’s worst player the other day!

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Be honest, have you ever seen Mengi play?

He was apparently Derby’s worst player the other day!
From what people say Mengi has also been terrible all season in our youth team. Obviously he was good previously but he seems to have really struggled this season so expecting him to be the answer next season seems a bit strange.

As for Bailly, he's had two different injuries in the month since he last played. That's entirely consistent with his entire time here where he's been injured at least as much as he's been fit. Relying on him is ridiculous.

Murray3007

the real problem for us, is we have 5 CB's and none of them are actually top CB's, talk of each needing a specific partner shows how bad they are, for 80m Maguire should be the complete CB, I no it aint his fault for the fee but hes hardlky set the place on fire with his form since he has been here, Lindelof still cant understand how a CB cant header a ball, Bailey probably the most complete but cant stay fit and will end up like Jones here because no one at the club wants to give up on players, Axel dont rate at all, again poor in the air, dont read the game very well either and always looks a bit clumsy.

As for players coming in, players we are linked with all seem to have similar problems, Konate injury prone, Kounde heading problems due to height, Varane poor form and would cost a bomb, Torres seems a bit soft, Botman looks slower then Maguire, White and Milenkovic both look pretty complete CB's but again both have played RCB in a 3 most of the time at there current club. Le Normand again looks pretty good but aint played a massive amount of football at the top level.

it really is slim pickings just now and most top teams are needing CB's as well. could be a tough next few seasons for us as I dont see much answers at CB for us

buckooo1978

Diaz at City and Van Dijk at Liverpool were really transformative defenders

They improved the position, the entire defence and has solidified the whole team.

We need a player like that. Someone who will provide that kind of impact on our team.

Any of our centre-backs could leave and would anyone care?

Walters_19_MuFc

Diaz at City and Van Dijk at Liverpool were really transformative defenders

They improved the position, the entire defence and has solidified the whole team.

We need a player like that. Someone who will provide that kind of impact on our team.

Any of our centre-backs could leave and would anyone care?
To be fair, it took City a while before they found that defender, and even now, they've reverted back to Stones, having spent large amounts on Laporte and Ake.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
the real problem for us, is we have 5 CB's and none of them are actually top CB's, talk of each needing a specific partner shows how bad they are, for 80m Maguire should be the complete CB, I no it aint his fault for the fee but hes hardlky set the place on fire with his form since he has been here, Lindelof still cant understand how a CB cant header a ball, Bailey probably the most complete but cant stay fit and will end up like Jones here because no one at the club wants to give up on players, Axel dont rate at all, again poor in the air, dont read the game very well either and always looks a bit clumsy.

As for players coming in, players we are linked with all seem to have similar problems, Konate injury prone, Kounde heading problems due to height, Varane poor form and would cost a bomb, Torres seems a bit soft, Botman looks slower then Maguire, White and Milenkovic both look pretty complete CB's but again both have played RCB in a 3 most of the time at there current club. Le Normand again looks pretty good but aint played a massive amount of football at the top level.

it really is slim pickings just now and most top teams are needing CB's as well. could be a tough next few seasons for us as I dont see much answers at CB for us
If this guy is a complete defender in peoples eyes then I dont see United letting him go to another team. Maybe he isnt the defender we go for straight away but I can see it happening later. The new generation of the england team needs a top class CB and if there is one I really doubt United will let him not be ours.

His passing looks very good from the little I've seen. What's your thoughts about him?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I understand people’s concerns about konate and his injury record.

so my next pick would be Botman. He can be our new Vidic

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I understand people’s concerns about konate and his injury record.

so my next pick would be Botman. He can be our new Vidic
Ole seems obviously like a manager that wants 2 players in each position for our long term future and in that case I really doubt he doesnt go for a left footed CB.

There isnt much choice with that either - a Pau Torres or Botman does sounds the most realistic.

Someone said that Botman was slow and not a good partner for Maguire, I dont think he looks that slow at all.

golden_blunder

Staff
Ole seems obviously like a manager that wants 2 players in each position for our long term future and in that case I really doubt he doesnt go for a left footed CB.

There isnt much choice with that either - a Pau Torres or Botman does sounds the most realistic.

Someone said that Botman was slow and not a good partner for Maguire, I dont think he looks that slow at all.
No he looks at least quicker than maguire from what I’ve seen

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Rio has some real love for Godfrey, and one assumes he knows a thing or two. Good physical attributes, haven't seen loads of him but Everton aren't exactly known for their defensive solidity.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Rio has some real love for Godfrey, and one assumes he knows a thing or two. Good physical attributes, haven't seen loads of him but Everton aren't exactly known for their defensive solidity.
Mostly plays full back for them or LCB though, not sure I've seen him in a back 2 at Everton. Loves a run forward though, very quick and handy on the ball.

golden_blunder

Staff
I told you Maguire was slow but you said "Oh no he ain't". Look how well that worked out. Botman is slower.
I think maguire just proved you wrong. Also when has he actually been caught out by pace?

Botman looks at least as fast as Vidic from what I’ve seen

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
We'll end up with De Ligt in some kind of swap deal for Pogba.
Would be very out of character for him to come any time soon. He's clearly their main cb for the future, with Bonucci and Chiellini in their mid 30's. Plus I don't think his former teammate Donny gave a rave review. If Pogba is interested in winning trophies a swap for Varane is more likely. With Barcelona's dire financial situation, Madrid will have an easier time dominating La Liga than a Juventus will Serie A with ten players in their 30's.

Botman Botman Botman
Botman was awful in the EL match against Ajax. Hard to see what he has that Axel does not other than being left footed.

BFernandes

I'd be delighted if we brought in someone like David Carmo.

Whilst we're getting linked with huge money moves for Kounde, Konate, Ramos etc, the signing of Carmo I feel would be shrewed business.

Tall, fast, athletic, good in the air and with the ball at his feet, probably as close as we could get to van Dijk at this moment.An instrumental member of the Portugal team that won the Euros at under 19 level, their up and coming golden generation, and will more than likely be an ever present alongside Bruno in the national team within the next few months.

Think it would be a signing that would be unstated at first but go on to become brilliant business.

Tallis

Who is faster, Milenkovic, Botman or Maguire?
Milenkovic is pretty quick - plus he has that Rio like quality of sticking out a long leg to take the ball off someone. I personally don’t see a good reason why we shouldn’t sign him - even if he fails, we can play him at RB or recoup our money by selling him. He is not going to be expensive

i find Maguire quite slow. He is good at defending in a deep line but limited.

Would love to see Kounde line up alongside Milenkovic.

On Milenkovic - I just wanted to add that he is a very good age too. He is young but has now been playing at the top level for few seasons. So, if won’t be us buying someone who needs e
development before they’re ready.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
I'd be delighted if we brought in someone like David Carmo.

Whilst we're getting linked with huge money moves for Kounde, Konate, Ramos etc, the signing of Carmo I feel would be shrewed business.

Tall, fast, athletic, good in the air and with the ball at his feet, probably as close as we could get to van Dijk at this moment.An instrumental member of the Portugal team that won the Euros at under 19 level, their up and coming golden generation, and will more than likely be an ever present alongside Bruno in the national team within the next few months.

Think it would be a signing that would be unstated at first but go on to become brilliant business.
I need to watch more of this guy admittedly, but he was really poor against Leicester in the Europa League. Got torn to pieces by Iheanacho which is never a good sign.

I will take 'as close to Van Dijk at this moment as we can get' as more indicative of his traits and style than ability as he's some way off that level based on sample size, level of competition and some of his tape. Obviously very good in the air though as you say at 6'5" and looks handy on the ball.

However I'm not convinced he is particularly quick, either that or his defending lacked any sort of intensity against Leicester. His positioning was really poor on quite a few occasions - considering he was the middle CB in a back three as well he was caught out by runs in behind more than he should have been.

Also got 2 red cards this season both for very poor/rash tackles.

croadyman

I need to watch more of this guy admittedly, but he was really poor against Leicester in the Europa League. Got torn to pieces by Iheanacho which is never a good sign.

I will take 'as close to Van Dijk at this moment as we can get' as more indicative of his traits and style than ability as he's some way off that level based on sample size, level of competition and some of his tape. Obviously very good in the air though as you say at 6'5" and looks handy on the ball.

However I'm not convinced he is particularly quick, either that or his defending lacked any sort of intensity against Leicester. His positioning was really poor on quite a few occasions - considering he was the middle CB in a back three as well he was caught out by runs in behind more than he should have been.

Also got 2 red cards this season both for very poor/rash tackles.
Yeah and also suffered a really bad ankle injury recently as well

DevTheRed

Badiashile seems to be having a good season for Monaco, just played well and kept a clean sheet against PSG. Tall, fast and left footed.. he seems to tick most of the boxes. I wonder if we’ll revisit him in the summer!

croadyman

Are there any CB options that tick all the boxes because it seems like Badiashile (too young), Kounde (too short), Ramos (unrealistic and too slow), Konate (too injury prone), Milenkovic (unknown), Varane (unlikely to leave) & Botman (too slow)

beingshe7don

Are there any CB options that tick all the boxes because it seems like Badiashile (too young), Kounde (too short), Ramos (unrealistic and too slow), Konate (too injury prone), Milenkovic (unknown), Varane (unlikely to leave) & Botman (too slow)
What about David Carmo? 6'5 and looks quick as well.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Badiashile seems to be having a good season for Monaco, just played well and kept a clean sheet against PSG. Tall, fast and left footed.. he seems to tick most of the boxes. I wonder if we’ll revisit him in the summer!
I haven’t check anything this month regarding him but I went to their forum site last month, lot of their fans criticised him for being defensively liability and making mistakes. I watched him at the start of this season, he scored some goals but pretty poor player for one on one defensively.

Jericho

Maguire is our best CB by virtue of the others having bigger issues than him. But he really needs to cut the needless mistakes out (holding the ball too long, trying to win fouls instead of clearing).
Bailly would have potential if he weren't a crock so I won't pin any hopes on him.
Lindelof doesn't have the physicality.
Jones is worthless.
That leaves Tuanzebe. He has the raw attributes needed. I'd like to see him and Maguire getting some serious coaching as a partnership.

leges

What about Kristoffer Ajer? He is tall and not slow!

Number32

Kounde and Botman are the only consistent players throughout all season, can we just forget about meaningless comparison of pace and physicality?
ffs this is not FIFA career mode. In reality, Kounde is really strong on aerial duels, and Botman came out with a clean sheet against Mbappe.

Reactions: golden_blunder