Potential CB Options

bsCallout

I found myself caught in a whirlwind of watching videos of Stam, Vidic and Ferdinand. My God were they good from every possible metric. Where we will ever find the likes of them again I have no idea. It feels like every half decent defender that can play the ball is regarded as a premium player but looking at the best teams, not even them have what I would describe as world class quality central defenders.

it feels like the World of football has chanced in some sense, where it is easier to find a goal scorer and even a creator then a centre back of high quality. I would not be surprised if defenders become the most expensive players going forward.
Were you watching 'best of' videos? Because there are plenty of instances where they also fell short.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I'm not saying he is good enough for us or not -

But how has Ben Godfrey been for Everton?

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
What about Mason Holgate?
He is not good enough to start for a Champions League team. He is a great squad option thanks to his versatility at right back but as a centre back he is not dominant enough in my opinion. He is one of those weird defenders whose best position is the right centre back role in 3.

Ben Godfrey however is looking like a special talent. Physically he is on another level and I don't think there is a faster centre back in the whole league. I think once Ancelotti is finished with him and improved his positional play he is going to be sought after by nearly every club in the world.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He is not good enough to start for a Champions League team. He is a great squad option thanks to his versatility at right back but as a centre back he is not dominant enough in my opinion. He is one of those weird defenders whose best position is the right centre back role in 3.

Ben Godfrey however is looking like a special talent. Physically he is on another level and I don't think there is a faster centre back in the whole league. I think once Ancelotti is finished with him and improved his positional play he is going to be sought after by nearly every club in the world.
Thanks for the input, I hoped an Everton fan would lend their opinion as you obviously see him week in week out

George the Cat

We’ve just drawn three games 0-0, we’ve drawn virtually every game we’ve played against top sides in prem 0-0 surely the signings need to be made in Attack and midfield?

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
We’ve just drawn three games 0-0, we’ve drawn virtually every game we’ve played against top sides in prem 0-0 surely the signings need to be made in Attack and midfield?
I feel every time we play against top sides, Ole gives the defenders more protection by playing Fred and Scott close to them, because well our defence is pretty shit isn't it?

Against teams that sit back we struggle because most of our forwards are either out of form (Rashford, Greenwood) or pretty pointless in general (Martial). We can't just have Bruno doing everything. The way Ole sets the team up is also frustrating because he wants to play through the middle all the time when sometimes we should go wide and put service in for the strikers.

So the point is if we get a good solid centre back, that will free our midfielders up bit more. That said, we also need some attackers because ours are pointless at this stage.

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
Sadly, I don't think it's as simple as that. A good defense can allow you to play on the front more, look at how comfortable 'Pool was with pressing aggressively and leaving VVD 1v1 in the back.

As some stat junkies have pointed out, we've scored a lot of goals this season (even if you ignore the 9-0 win) and conceded a lot as well relative to the opposition. The same junkies will point out many of our players, including Rashford and Bruno have clocked the most minutes in the EPL. Maybe their drought and poor form is the result of being overplayed?

Reactions: golden_blunder

davidmichael

I know next to nothing about Fikayo Tomori but he’s keeping AC Milan’s own captain Alessio Romagnoli out of the team at the moment and is apparently available for £25-£30 million, I’ve seen people say we should look at Romagnoli as our target so why are we not talking about Tomori ? We’ve done business with Chelsea over the years with Mata and Matic so it’s not unheard of.

croadyman

Would be happy with any of Koulibaly/Varane/Konate/Kounde but will we go all out with other holes in the team too

croadyman

Interesting to see his name being touted around again as Paul Hirst linked him to us last summer, personally would still prefer one of Koulibaly/Varane/Kounde if we could get any of them

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
Fofana from Leicester is a good shout too. I think he’s going to be a solid CB.

Cathy Ferguson

Interesting to see his name being touted around again as Paul Hirst linked him to us last summer, personally would still prefer one of Koulibaly/Varane/Kounde if we could get any of them
We have the Glazers as owners and Torres is the cheapest option, hence Torres.

I mentioned him a while back, along with Loic Bade, but with our increased focus on analytics as a club I'd be shocked if we weren't looking at Edmond Tapsoba.

He's 22 and putting up absolutely GODLY defensive, passing and ball carrying numbers. Like 'make me a modern ball-playing defender in a lab' type numbers.

His passing is ridiculous - to the point that Leverkusen use him as a legitimate playmaker. He may not get the assists, but his switches and passes through the lines are a big part of their attacking play.

A lot of ball-playing centre backs seem to forget they're actually defenders. Not Tapsoba who's also a monster defensively.

So we've established that he's a big brick wall who can pass. He's probably immobile......Nope! He's a brilliant ball carrier too.

He has basically everything. I say basically because he's below average aerially right now - despite being 6'4 with great spring. From watching him, it seems like something he can iron out. Looks like a technique thing where he mistimes his jumps occasionally.

Strange thing is, despite how freakish Tapsoba's stats are - Loic Bade (who's 20) isn't too far behind...and he's much better in the air to go with it.

People talk about Haaland and Mbappe for next generation strikers. I'd wager that Tapsoba and Bade could be talked about in a similar way soon for CBs if they both get big moves.

Last edited:

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I mentioned him a while back, along with Loic Bade, but with our increased focus on analytics as a club I'd be shocked if we weren't looking at Edmond Tapsoba.

He's 22 and putting up absolutely GODLY defensive, passing and ball carrying numbers. Like 'make me a modern ball-playing defender in a lab' type numbers.

His passing is ridiculous - to the point that Leverkusen use him as a legitimate playmaker. He may not get the assists, but his switches and passes through the lines are a big part of their attacking play.

A lot of ball-playing centre backs seem to forget they're actually defenders. Not Tapsoba who's also a monster defensively.

So we've established that he's a big brick wall who can pass. He's probably immobile......Nope! He's a brilliant ball carrier too.

He has basically everything. I say basically because he's below average aerially right now - despite being 6'4 with great spring. From watching him, it seems like something he can iron out. Looks like a technique thing where he mistimes his jumps occasionally.

Strange thing is, despite how freakish Tapsoba's stats are - Loic Bade (who's 20) isn't too far behind...and he's much better in the air to go with it.

People talk about Haaland and Mbappe for next generation strikers. I'd wager that Tapsoba and Bade could be talked about in a similar way soon for CBs if they both get big moves.
I must say Tapsoba does look very impressive both in stats and on youtube (Bade less so). Only question I have is how fast is Tapsoba? Slow, average, fast? In some parts of the video he looks a bit slow, but he might just look that way because of his languid style.

dinostar77

Harry Maguire would ideally prefer a british partner at CB. Utd looking at Ben White and James Tardowski. Though may still look abroad as well. CB is the priority this summer.

Transfer Window podcast.

Judas

Open to offers
Yeah I've no interest in Konate purely due to his injury issues, we'd be mugs to go after him, its a risk we simply can't take. Sadly he's a class player when fit, the best of that list.

croadyman

Harry Maguire would ideally prefer a british partner at CB. Utd looking at Ben White and James Tardowski. Though may still look abroad as well. CB is the priority this summer.

Transfer Window podcast.
God I really hope this is utter BS it shouldn't matter where the player comes from

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
God I really hope this is utter BS it shouldn't matter where the player comes from
He prolly meant he should speak English, otherwise I agree it's a dumb comment.

I've watched about 5 Sevilla matches this season and Kounde is nowhere near good enough. Akward on the ball, like Botman.

Haven't seen enough Milenkovic. Torres is left footed. I think Maguire would benefit from playing RCB. He's solid on the ball, but he's not Blind.

Mylock

I must say Tapsoba does look very impressive both in stats and on youtube (Bade less so). Only question I have is how fast is Tapsoba? Slow, average, fast? In some parts of the video he looks a bit slow, but he might just look that way because of his languid style.
I'd agree Tapsoba looks a serious talent, seems to have it all, he'd be a great buy at €30m to €40m at the current covid prices.

Mark Pawelek

United need a fast CB, and a fast CDM. So the defence can play a high defensive line and fullbacks can get forward. Koundé, Varane and Mings are 3 pretty quick CBs. But no way will we get Mings; fans would lynch the board. Camavinga looks rapid for a CDM. These two (CB and CDM) will be expensive. Will Madrid accept Pogba as P/E for Varane? Will he come here? If not, United will need to sell a lot of players to finance these buys.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
United need a fast CB, and a fast CDM. So the defence can play a high defensive line and fullbacks can get forward. Koundé, Varane and Mings are 3 pretty quick CBs. But no way will we get Mings; fans would lynch the board. Camavinga looks rapid for a CDM. These two (CB and CDM) will be expensive. Will Madrid accept Pogba as P/E for Varane? Will he come here? If not, United will need to sell a lot of players to finance these buys.
What about if we sign fast, strong and dominant CB first and give VDB chance playing next to Fred or McT and let's see how it will improve our team. Surely we spend 35m on midfielder for a good reason.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
For me, getting the right CB(s) in place is the first step to challenge for the big prizes.
We need pace at the back most certainly, Bailly can give us that, but he needs to stay fit. Lindelof is a decent player, but is not quick enough, and gets bullied to easily.
I would like to see Tuanzebe get some minutes, as I think there is a player in there, but he only seems to get a run every three weeks, and there is no way he can build up his match experience. It's noticeable that he does make mistakes when he plays (as does every player), but given a run of games may be the answer.
Maguire is a good solid defender, but he is so slow on the turn, in the build up, and not vocal enough for me. I think we can upgrade on Maguire over the next couple of seasons, but Ole has to give some of these youngsters a chance.

Mark Pawelek

What about if we sign fast, strong and dominant CB first and give VDB chance playing next to Fred or McT and let's see how it will improve our team. Surely we spend 35m on midfielder for a good reason.
You hope that VDB + Fred, or VDB + McT will do a better job than McT + Fred. If it fails we miss out on a PL title again next season.

How about we first get a CDM who can play that position alone and can pass to his other midfield players: Bruno + another? Camavinga's current contract ends summer of 2022. Remember the Bellingham palava last summer? I'm bracing for a repeat this summer: Camavinga palava. Add Varane or Koundé at CB; then we can play a high defensive line and get fullbacks forward to attack. Camavinga must leave Rennes this summer, or sign a contract extension.

Last edited:

LuessiT

I'd agree Tapsoba looks a serious talent, seems to have it all, he'd be a great buy at €30m to €40m at the current covid prices.
Try more like 60m or more. He's got 5 more years on his contract without a release clause. Leverkusen know exactly what they have here.

Mylock

Try more like 60m or more. He's got five more years on his contract without a release clause. Leverkusen know exactly what they have here.
There's no way he's going to see out his contract; his agent will be offering him around the top clubs this summer; that's how it works. Outstanding talent from what I've seen, can't see anyone paying 60m in the current market.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
You hope that VDB + Fred, or VDB + McT will do a better job than McT + Fred. If it fails we miss out on a PL title again next season.

How about we first get a CDM who can play that position alone and can pass to his other midfield players: Bruno + another? Camavinga's current contract ends summer of 2022. Remember the Bellingham palava last summer? I'm bracing for a repeat this summer: Camavinga palava. Add Varane or Koundé at CB; then we can play a high defensive line and get fullbacks forward to attack. Camavinga must leave Rennes this summer, or sign a contract extension.
You hope a young talented teenager midfielder to take massive step up to lead our midfield into PL title next season.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
A developmental type of signing with high potential IMO. Not someone who would come in straight away into the first 11, but someone we should possibly keep a eye on.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
A developmental type of signing with high potential IMO. Not someone who would come in straight away into the first 11, but someone we should possibly keep a eye on.

Yeah, Alan Nixon linked him with us when he was just breaking through. Thought he was really impressive when they played Spurs in the cup and I'd like to have a good Irish lad in the ranks as well.

Bondi77

I love the similar player type comparison :houllier:
Must have been an edit by his agent.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
I'm still convinced Pau Torres, once at a top club will be the best in his position in the world.