Potential CB Options

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Gives me the Rojo feels the way he flies into tackles, in a good way.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Has anyone watched much of Romero? I’ve literally seen nothing but just looked up one of those welcome to United videos and first half he was looking like the love child of Phil Jones and Marcos Rojo and I was thinking surely these aren’t the best clips to show.

By the end of it he looked better but much of it seemed like recovery tackles for mistakes he’d already made. Is he a Maldini in disguise and the video I chose was edited by an idiot or has he got a touch of the Rojo/Bailly/Jones about him?
The highlights don't do Romero justice. They make him look way more reckless than he is. As the anchor in a back 3/4, he is the most disciplined defender in Atalanta and even more disciplined than Jones, Rojo, Milenkovic, Koundé, Upamecano, Militao, Ramos, etc. He often has to deal with two poor defenders on either side of him (especially Rafael Toloi, who's basically a full back).

croadyman

My only worry with Romero/Torres even Kounde is that they won't displace Lindelof in the way that Varane definitely does

jesperjaap

V good player. Would love to see him at United.

Godfrey, Diop, I’ll also chuck in Salisu as a wild card as I thought he was great in LL and I think has looked promising in the PL. these are my realistic signings and not just throwing out the usual Varane rubbish.
I like Godfrey, think he can develop into a really good centre back. But lets not forgetm Everton have already spent £25m for him after one season at Norwich in the permiership. YOu woul dhave to think a sale of him would be approaching £45-50m and he is very much a developing player, still a long way to go. I think that kind of puts him out of the equation as a feasible target both in terms of a fee and in correlation to that, where he is at level wise currently

jesperjaap

Gives me the Rojo feels the way he flies into tackles, in a good way.
Seen little of him, but that was the fear for me. Occasionally over aggresive, I did instantly think Bailly/Rojo. Apart from that, what I can remember he looked good, but wasnt really paying attention to him individually as hadnt heard of him at the time. He did stand out in European tie I watched a bit of though.

Wining defender of the year in Serie A, he has to be prety good though. As poor as Serie A has been fo rsome time, still a lot of quality defenders in the league though. It does look to be press gossip though, I do trust Romano and his comments seem to suggest its ulterior motives with these links and probably an agent or something driving these stories

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Seen little of him, but that was the fear for me. Occasionally over aggresive, I did instantly think Bailly/Rojo. Apart from that, what I can remember he looked good, but wasnt really paying attention to him individually as hadnt heard of him at the time. He did stand out in European tie I watched a bit of though.

Wining defender of the year in Serie A, he has to be prety good though. As poor as Serie A has been fo rsome time, still a lot of quality defenders in the league though. It does look to be press gossip though, I do trust Romano and his comments seem to suggest its ulterior motives with these links and probably an agent or something driving these stories
Yeah, I'd need to watch more of him, but despite their faults, when Bailly/rojo get it right, it's pretty majestic.

I guess we'll see soon enough if it's gossip or a real move.

criticalanalysis

My only worry with Romero/Torres even Kounde is that they won't displace Lindelof in the way that Varane definitely does
I think people will be surprised by how easy it will be to replace Lindelof as long as they can stay fit and can get a decent run of games.

If Bailly or Tuanzebe had stayed fit, we may not be having this discussion or rather it would be on the lower end of the priority imo.

justsomebloke

The highlights don't do Romero justice. They make him look way more reckless than he is. As the anchor in a back 3/4, he is the most disciplined defender in Atalanta and even more disciplined than Jones, Rojo, Milenkovic, Koundé, Upamecano, Militao, Ramos, etc. He often has to deal with two poor defenders on either side of him (especially Rafael Toloi, who's basically a full back).
Not that impressive on the ball though.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Not that impressive on the ball though.
He's good on the ball, but given that he's the anchor at the back, he's the least adventurous of the lot. Toloi and Djimsiti/Palomino tend to play a way more attacking role as wider centre backs, so Romero has to play it safe as the last defender in the team. Despite that, he's still shown good passing in certain moments and even pushed into the final third from time to time. Of course, he's no Koundé or Upamecano on the ball, but he never get nervous when under pressure.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Don't suppose City would sell us Laporte would they

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I think with the money we're likely to spend, that's a formality. The worry is will they be good enough, regardless of Lindelof.

jesperjaap

Majority of links seem to be with La Liga centre backs....Varane, Torres, Kounde. Think they should be with Serie A ROmagnoli, ROmero, Bastoni....all good on the ball but I think the Serie A defenders are all better defensively and personality/leadership wise for us, two of the three would undoubtedly be cheaper.

Really dont get the fuss over Torres at all personally. Very good on the ball, but he doesnt look like a proper defender to me....maybe thats just my personal taste

croadyman

I think with the money we're likely to spend, that's a formality. The worry is will they be good enough, regardless of Lindelof.
Yeah maybe we should consider an offer for Ramos and then could use the CB budget on a proper DM instead

Zed 101

Ole must see something different in training because for me Tuanzebe is hands down the best option we have to play alongside Maguire

kode

May be loan him to West Ham, sell them Lingard then get Rice for a reasonable fee 50....

LuckyScout78

If only one. My vote go to Tiago Djalo. Lille 3 rd choice CB. Upcoming versatile and athletic CB. Who can play RB and DM too.
His current Market value is 5 mill euro. More about him and description:

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/sco...ile-tiago-djalo-cb-rb-dm.461848/post-27335588

If two Tiago Djalo and Tabsoba.

Tiago Djalo - 2000 - 20 years old
Edmond Tabsoba : 1999. 22 years old

Bissaka - Djalo/Tabsoba - Maguire/Tabsoba - Shaw

Swap Bailly with Tabsoba

And buy Tiago Djalo. MV at 5 mill euro. Potential can rise a lot more. He can easily reach 30 mill euro MV in the future. If everything develop in a natural positive way.

Mark Pawelek

I like Godfrey, think he can develop into a really good centre back. But lets not forgetm Everton have already spent £25m for him after one season at Norwich in the permiership. YOu woul dhave to think a sale of him would be approaching £45-50m and he is very much a developing player, still a long way to go. I think that kind of puts him out of the equation as a feasible target both in terms of a fee and in correlation to that, where he is at level wise currently
OMG. For £45m-50m I'd expect Godfrey, or whomever else you want, to be a complete player, not a developing player.

developing player
- is that another synonym for non-starter?

A-man

Ole must see something different in training because for me Tuanzebe is hands down the best option we have to play alongside Maguire
There is really nothing indicating that. Axel has started about 5 PL matches as CB in his entire 23 year old life. None of them would be considered good if the performance came from Bailly, Lindelof or Maguire. He has some potential, but has not showed enough (yet?) to be considered second best CB at the club.

edit: that said I would prefer Axel stayed and rather Bailly left. But that’s to give him the time to develop.

sdb4884

Would rather keep Axel than Eric, Eric is so unreliable and is always injured. Still shocked the Bailly got a massive contract extension, honestly. I'm sure Ole will been keen to get Jones back in the setup too.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Looks like Arsenal's put a bid in for Ben White. Why don't we put a cheeky bid in for William Saliba -- who is young, fast, physical and not bad on the ball? Clearly, Arteta doesn't fancy him, been there for 2 seasons without even kicking a ball for the gunners.

Dolf

Would it be possible to get De Vrij for a decent fee? Only 29 so has like 3/4 years left. Just won the Serie A and has been one of the best CB's in Serie A for a few seasons now. Could give us the boost to maybe win the PL and gives us time to focus on other positions.
I'd take him for 30-40 mil euros.

Superden

Sergio Ramos. Absolute no brainer. Even he doesn't kick a ball for us, the impact on the others 'bottle' will be enough.

sglowrider

Sergio Ramos. Absolute no brainer. Even he doesn't kick a ball for us, the impact on the others 'bottle' will be enough.
He will probably be on like 300k to 400k per week. Sanchez level free transfer salary.

Is he worth that changing room unhappiness?

Abraxas

Godfrey is not ready for that type of transfer. He's had one vaguely successful season at Everton, nothing spectacular by any means, on what planet is he ready to be the answer alongside Maguire? He's at the right club for this stage of his development having come from a lower side. I would say the same about White to be honest, but he's at Brighton so in terms of wages and profile of club it makes sense that clubs would be looking at him.

Superden

He will probably be on like 300k to 400k per week. Sanchez level free transfer salary.

Is he worth that changing room unhappiness?
fook em, he can let them lick his medals to cheer them up. its all about winning.

sglowrider

fook em, he can let them lick his medals to cheer them up. its all about winning.
Can Sergio even speak English to tell them to lick his medals and sniff his jock-strap? A few incorrect choices of words and the misunderstanding/implications could be enormous.

Superden

Can Sergio even speak English to tell them to lick his medals and sniff his jock-strap? A few incorrect choices of words and the misunderstanding/implications could be enormous.
You might even be onto something....