Potential Centre-Back Signings

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
I’d personally like to see Gvardiol in a City shirt. Laporte will be off and it’s important to keep 3 top class CBs in the squad. He’s only 21, very aggressive, and possesses those leadership qualities similar to Dias. City’s change in form this season coincided exactly with Dias return from injury.

Alex B

I’d personally like to see Gvardiol in a City shirt. Laporte will be off and it’s important to keep 3 top class CBs in the squad. He’s only 21, very aggressive, and possesses those leadership qualities similar to Dias. City’s change in form this season coincided exactly with Dias return from injury.
He would be a shrewd signing for anyone. I had no idea he was only 21. Only really seen him at the world cup but felt he was one of the best defenders in the tournament.

croadyman

I mean you really need him don't you

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Well you are set to off load Laporte who you hardly use anymore leaving Aké as your only reliable natural left sider so that's a given....

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I think it helped that Pep finally dropped Cancello for Aké on the left for good.

daba

With KMJ looking less and less likely by the day I hope we have a good plan B up our sleeve.

Disasi and Todibo are the two that Romano has linked a couple weeks back as our alternatives, neither scream as having world class quality or potential.

Scalvini
Sutalo
Tapsoba
Antonio Silva
Diomande

Any of the above would be great options and most would cost the same as KMJ or less in some cases.

Ideal scenario would be picking up one of them plus Timber to play at RB and cover CB.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I would prefer United to look for atleast one CB who's up and coming. We don't seem to have a young CB coming through the ranks who's highly rated at the moment.

IRELANDUNITED

Surprised there isn’t more talk about Timber. He won’t cost much and ten Hag really wanted him last season. He can play as a right back too which helps.

Bertie 2 Hats

Lutsharel Geertruida ( Feyenoord ) is looking good. He turns 23 next month and lines-up today alongside VvD for the Netherlands v Italy match. Rumours that Barcelona are keeping an eye on him.

aeh1991

Surprised there isn’t more talk about Timber. He won’t cost much and ten Hag really wanted him last season. He can play as a right back too which helps.
Because he is 1.80 and we cannot afford to play with Licha and him. He would only be an option as RB with emergency CB appearances.

jesperjaap

Find it strange with all the talent in Ligue 1, that these are the two we are getting heavily linked to. See tranfer tweets of lyon lookig nto balance the books and Lukeba being on a list as well as Cherki they may wish to get off the books, then there is Caqeuret. Other players see mentioned on here a lot like Le Fee. Not seen much of a lot of them this seaso, but Disasi seen a fair amount of and he is the player we want to tap the French market for over several others, including in his position, I find underwhelming at best.....what are we doing

daba

Find it strange with all the talent in Ligue 1, that these are the two we are getting heavily linked to. See tranfer tweets of lyon lookig nto balance the books and Lukeba being on a list as well as Cherki they may wish to get off the books, then there is Caqeuret. Other players see mentioned on here a lot like Le Fee. Not seen much of a lot of them this seaso, but Disasi seen a fair amount of and he is the player we want to tap the French market for over several others, including in his position, I find underwhelming at best.....what are we doing
Really strange lack of links for Le Fee to anyone.

lex talionis

Was Tuanzebe really so shite that he never got a chance to prove himself under ETH?

onemanarmy

Was Tuanzebe really so shite that he never got a chance to prove himself under ETH?
He was perma-injured. He played 5 games this season, at a Championship team. He played 2 games at Napoli. He played 14 games in 3 years in total.
The last season he played a respectable number of games was 18-19, when he played 25.

glasgow 21

Sutalo on 6k a week at Zagreb , 22, 6 ft 2 quick enough and looks the part in Croatia NT against top opposition. Looks at the moment 18-20m range. In as understudy to Varane.

daba

Sutalo on 6k a week at Zagreb , 22, 6 ft 2 quick enough and looks the part in Croatia NT against top opposition. Looks at the moment 18-20m range. In as understudy to Varane.
And he can play LCB.

I’ll bang the drum with mate. Kim Min-Who?

jesperjaap

Really strange lack of links for Le Fee to anyone.
Find it stranges generally the French player linkks to a lot of clubs the last few years. SO much quality for me like Gouiri, Lukeba, Le Fee and Caqueret I think would all be really good signings for us, yet they are probably affordable for quite a number of clubs in the premiership they would be big stars for.

GledTheRed

Lutsharel Geertruida ( Feyenoord ) is looking good. He turns 23 next month and lines-up today alongside VvD for the Netherlands v Italy match. Rumours that Barcelona are keeping an eye on him.
Just Googled him, never seen him play but he just looks a donkey for some reason.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I hope we are lining someone up for January. Hope this sale is wrapped up prior to the next window, regardless of which of the two bidders is successful.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Please god I just want to see one commanding centre back at United before I die. Don’t let Lindelof be the last person I see :(

JuriM

I hope we are lining someone up for January. Hope this sale is wrapped up prior to the next window, regardless of which of the two bidders is successful.
I don't think we can spend before next summer, a Wout style only maybe.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We need a CB but it has to be a CB with particular attributes which will lead to raising the level of the team in 'rest defense' which means the players occupying the deeper positions at the back in a higher line will be required to defend in 1v1 scenarios against quick attackers. This concept cannot be compromised or the new CB won't have as big of a impact in raising the level of the team. So of course we need someone who ticks the boxes in possession but we also need a Manchester United CB to be a dominant dueller, where controlling the defensive transition in rest defense is absolutely imperative. So having the pace, power and athleticism along with the technical in-possession abilities cannot be overlooked.

Most of us agreed that Chris Smalling needed to be improved upon due to his lack of ability on the ball. But the mistake that was made was that when we looked to improve on his weakness on the ball, we weakened ourselves out of possession due to Smalling having the pace and power to defend larger space. And Maguire in theory was a improvement on the ball but as it turned out, Maguire's lack of athleticism and inability to play on the half turn meant we became vulnerable to the press and hence playing in a lower block became the default strategy. So we paid £80m for a CB who just wasn't suited to helping us control the defensive transition in rest defense due to his lack of agility/athleticism. And in possession he was bearly a upgrade due to him requiring time and space on the ball which certain top teams don't give you.

I'm sure there's plenty of names that fit the criteria above. And over the years I've wrote posts about the likes of Konate, Saliba, Todibo, Gvardiol etc for the very same reasons. And I'm still saying the same things years later because if the aim is to be play a more dominant brand of football then the players at the back are going to have to defend/dominate against quick attackers in defensive transition.

I'd seriously look at one of Todibo or Ousmane Diomande for the RCB role and also maybe take a serious look at the young lad at Everton, Jarrad Branthwaite to rotate with Martinez in the LCB role. He's someone that we've been linked with previously and he has thus far refused to sign a new deal at Everton which runs out in 2025.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
We need a CB but it has to be a CB with particular attributes which will lead to raising the level of the team in 'rest defense' which means the players occupying the deeper positions at the back in a higher line will be required to defend in 1v1 scenarios against quick attackers. This concept cannot be compromised or the new CB won't have as big of a impact in raising the level of the team. So of course we need someone who ticks the boxes in possession but we also need a Manchester United CB to be a dominant dueller, where controlling the defensive transition in rest defense is absolutely imperative. So having the pace, power and athleticism along with the technical in-possession abilities cannot be overlooked.

Most of us agreed that Chris Smalling needed to be improved upon due to his lack of ability on the ball. But the mistake that was made was that when we looked to improve on his weakness on the ball, we weakened ourselves out of possession due to Smalling having the pace and power to defend larger space. And Maguire in theory was a improvement on the ball but as it turned out, Maguire's lack of athleticism and inability to play on the half turn meant we became vulnerable to the press and hence playing in a lower block became the default strategy. So we paid £80m for a CB who just wasn't suited to helping us control the defensive transition in rest defense due to his lack of agility/athleticism. And in possession he was bearly a upgrade due to him requiring time and space on the ball which certain top teams don't give you.

I'm sure there's plenty of names that fit the criteria above. And over the years I've wrote posts about the likes of Konate, Saliba, Todibo, Gvardiol etc for the very same reasons. And I'm still saying the same things years later because if the aim is to be play a more dominant brand of football then the players at the back are going to have to defend/dominate against quick attackers in defensive transition.

I'd seriously look at one of Todibo or Ousmane Diomande for the RCB role and also maybe take a serious look at the young lad at Everton, Jarrad Branthwaite to rotate with Martinez in the LCB role. He's someone that we've been linked with previously and he has thus far refused to sign a new deal at Everton which runs out in 2025.
Agreed. I think the reality is we need to sign a player ready to replace Varane in the starting XI here and now. If Varane stays injury free so much the better, we'll have high quality depth and won't have to sacrifice our tactical game because of ill-fitting options. The attributes you mention are in effect a top class centre back, physically elite whilst modern ball playing type. I'm with you on those names you mentioned, I think I made a thread on Saliba when Arsenal were being linked, bemoaning us not going for him.

The one that I've been mentioned by mates in Italy is Giorgio Scalvini - plays for Atalanta, about to turn 20. Looks a player.

And like you, I'd want two.

I don't think we can spend before next summer, a Wout style only maybe.
A takeover happens and the owners can put cash in plus they can be ruthless with the unwanted players and feck them off.

The-Mezzala

We need to get Maguire and Mctominey off the books and then go and sign Todibo

Redivy

Would cost a bomb, so probably only could happen in the event of a takeover but De Ligt seems like he could be open to a move.

Bwuk

Looks like we will need to revisit this once again in the summer.

We should be looking to move Martinez/Varane to 2nd and 3rd choice, and shifting Maguire on.

I mentioned it in the de Ligt thread, but we should be monitoring his game time situation. If it doesn't improve we'd be silly not to offer him a transfer.

Bojan Djordjic

Would cost a bomb, so probably only could happen in the event of a takeover but De Ligt seems like he could be open to a move.
After what happened with Maguire, I'd be very reluctant to pursue De Ligt, especially because he'd come with a big price tag. Not sure he's cut out for defending the massive spaces a United defender needs to. Diomandé looks a gem for the RCB position or his counterpart at Benfica Antonio Silva who seems to have the leadership skills.

Jorrell Hato at Ajax might be the next big defensive prodigy coming from Ajax. Seems like a taller Timber/Martinez. Is 99th percentile for all build up stats and scores high on tackling and blocking too. Only problem is that none of them seems to be able to win an aerial duel which I'm afraid is something I think United need with the current vertically challenged side.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Agreed. I think the reality is we need to sign a player ready to replace Varane in the starting XI here and now. If Varane stays injury free so much the better, we'll have high quality depth and won't have to sacrifice our tactical game because of ill-fitting options. The attributes you mention are in effect a top class centre back, physically elite whilst modern ball playing type. I'm with you on those names you mentioned, I think I made a thread on Saliba when Arsenal were being linked, bemoaning us not going for him.

The one that I've been mentioned by mates in Italy is Giorgio Scalvini - plays for Atalanta, about to turn 20. Looks a player.

And like you, I'd want two.

A takeover happens and the owners can put cash in plus they can be ruthless with the unwanted players and feck them off.
If the new ownership was in place and I was the person in charge, I'd be signing one or two out of Ousmane Diomande, Todibo, Thiaw, Guehi and Antonio Silva. And I'd also look at the lad from Everton (Branthwaite) as the left footed CB to rotate with Martinez. It's not difficult to construct a team as long as one understands the strategy and how the new signings will fit into a proactive attacking game plan both in-possession and out of possession.

Redivy

After what happened with Maguire, I'd be very reluctant to pursue De Ligt, especially because he'd come with a big price tag. Not sure he's cut out for defending the massive spaces a United defender needs to. Diomandé looks a gem for the RCB position or his counterpart at Benfica Antonio Silva who seems to have the leadership skills.

Jorrell Hato at Ajax might be the next big defensive prodigy coming from Ajax. Seems like a taller Timber/Martinez. Is 99th percentile for all build up stats and scores high on tackling and blocking too. Only problem is that none of them seems to be able to win an aerial duel which I'm afraid is something I think United need with the current vertically challenged side.
Antonio Silva would be an amazing get for us. He can rotate with Varane for a season whilst he is still developing. He is the next big centre back.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
We need a big, strong and quick bastard who can also pass to play alongside Martinez. Oh and needs to not be injury prone either.

jeepers

Tobido, Diomande, Antonio Silva. Sutalo was my top budget option (less than 25m) but he has gone to Ajax. Diomande and Silva will cost big money for sure. Haven’t watched the Everton guy so can’t speak for him.

If Fedricson or Bennett aren’t seen as good enough prospects by the coaching team, then I hope we are looking for top u18 prospects from around Europe/SAmerica.

Last edited:

aeh1991

Sutalo was my top budget option (less than 25m) but he has gone to Ajax.
Makes him a much more realistic target now :D

jokes aside, I agree with the names you mentioned. Haven't seen Diomande yet but the other 3 are really talented.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
who? what/? who the hell is Goncalo Inacio? Sometimes I think we just pick names out of a very small hat...

“SunSport understands a United scout has been sent to Lisbon and told to closely monitor the Portuguese international over the next couple of months ahead of launching a bid in the January transfer window.
“The scout has been ordered to watch the 22-year-old in person at least three times a month - he was at Sporting’s game at the weekend and will also take in this Thursday's Europa League clash with Atalanta.
“He recently signed a new deal with Sporting but has a €60million (£52m) release clause which United are prepared to match.”

zaafi

who? what/? who the hell is Goncalo Inacio? Sometimes I think we just pick names out of a very small hat...

“SunSport understands a United scout has been sent to Lisbon and told to closely monitor the Portuguese international over the next couple of months ahead of launching a bid in the January transfer window.
“The scout has been ordered to watch the 22-year-old in person at least three times a month - he was at Sporting’s game at the weekend and will also take in this Thursday's Europa League clash with Atalanta.
“He recently signed a new deal with Sporting but has a €60million (£52m) release clause which United are prepared to match.”
He is a very highly rated Portuguese CB that plays for Sporting. He is not some random CB. Although, I'd much rather go for Ousmane Diomande from Sporting.