Potential dilemma

Devil81

Picture this situation, we drop more points in the league before the end of the Champions league group stage. Things aren't looking good and Mourinho is finally sacked from his position.

We're down to the last game away at Valencia knowing we're well behind of fourth place and faced with a battle to qualify for the next round of the Champions league we've got little chance of winning.

Would you prefer to drop into the backdoor route of the Europa league?

rotherham_red

Picture this situation, we drop more points in the league before the end of the Champions league group stage. Things aren't looking good and Mourinho is finally sacked from his position.

We're down to the last game away at Valencia knowing we're well behind of fourth place and faced with a battle to qualify for the next round of the Champions league we've got little chance of winning.

Abso-fecking-lutely. It's a no brainer in that situation.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

Wouldn't make a difference to our chances really, there are already better teams than us in the EL and by the time the group stage of the CL is done there's potential for even more good teams to drop into it.

PoTMS

We wouldn't win the Europa League either so no.

Cloud7

No. No guarantee of winning the Europa league. Plus what’s the point of wanting to qualify for the CL if we want to avoid the big teams?

Of course this POV will make little sense if you’re focused solely on the best chance of CL qualification, but I can’t bring myself to say I hope we end up in the Europa league to have a better chance to qualify for the CL.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Certainly. Tougher competition this year than when we were last in it though so doubt we'll win it again. If getting CL football via the league is looking impossible though then may as well give it a shot.

Devil81

Wouldn't make a difference to our chances really, there are already better teams than us in the EL and by the time the group stage of the CL is done there's potential for even more good teams to drop into it.
Really?

I'd say we're more than capable of winning the Europa league. These players are being mismanaged and don't wanna play for this manager anymore.

We could win the Europa league.

Blatzo

This might not be popular... but a year out of Europe might not do us any harm. I'm not usually one for making statements that could come back to bite me on the arse but I'll gladly take the risk on this one: we're hardly going to win it next year, are we?

Might as well get as far as we can this year and try to enjoy the ride - the league is unlikely to offer much in the way of highlights.

AltiUn

Really?

I'd say we're more than capable of winning the Europa league. These players are being mismanaged and don't wanna play for this manager anymore.

We could win the Europa league.
Chelsea, Lazio, Sevilla and Arsena are all as good as us with one or two or them probably being better.

Devil81

Chelsea, Lazio, Sevilla and Arsena are all as good as us with one or two or them probably being better.
Chelsea will sling it at some point and Sevilla and Lazio aren't much better than us.

el3mel

Mind you we won't pass the group anyway whatever we want or not.

Europe League here we come! I miss Anderlecht, Rostov, Celta and all these lovely teams. :drool:

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Chuck the Champions League to be in the Champions League the following season?

Bollocks to that, we're not Wenger's Arsenal.

AltiUn

Chelsea will sling it at some point and Sevilla and Lazio aren't much better than us.
Looking a bit further once the CL group stage is done: three of A.Madrid/Dortmund/Monaco, Barca/Spurs/Inter, Liverpool/Napoli/PSG will end up there as well, it'd be very difficult to win, almost as bad as the CL.

Minimalist

We had a pretty sweet fixture list/run when we won in 2016 (still made it hard for ourselves mind). You don't always get that.

I doubt we'd beat the likes of Atletico who won it last year.

Denis79

Won't happen though, we'll finish 2nd in the group and probably get knocket out right after but I'm pretty sure our only way in to the CL will be through the EL, sorry for being pessimistic but I can't see us making top 4 this season. We've been terrible so far.

Needham

Europa is a major trophy, it's a European trophy and plenty have tried and failed to win it. The league is gone, so actually expect to see Jose going for it with the cups, unless that is he's gone last season at Chelsea kamikaze by that time.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Why would we ever be happy to go out of a competition? We might as well drop down to the championship whilst we're at it because we'd have a chance of winning it.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Chuck the Champions League to be in the Champions League the following season?

Bollocks to that, we're not Wenger's Arsenal.
It's like the joke of a lot of lower Premier teams isn't it.

Strive all season to get into the Europa.
Come the next season, they rest players and moan about the strains of the Europa, as it's affecting their league campaign, as they strive hard to...get into the Europa.