Potential End of Season Fixtures

ryan_forlan

Gullible
I just checked there is no seeding in the round of 16 draw for Europa. That means we can draw the likes of Athletic, Zenit, Roma, Spurs, Lyon and Schalke too. Which will make resting players really tough.

VanGaalEra

Been a while since we've had a fixture congested season, I'm loving it :drool:

SqueakyWeasel

A big part of our successes in 99 and 08 was due to us being pushed right to the last day in the league. Lots of games, not much recovery time, this is the proper test of character some if our players need.
That's exactly why I'm not too pessimistic about drawing Chelsea ttytt. They will definitely have very little match rhythm by the 13th and add to that, if they falter (even just dropping a couple of league points as the pressure starts to build) between now and then the FA cup will be the least of Conte's priorities.

BigBebe

I love the fixture congestion and our squad is deep enough to handle it.

I actually think that the international break could work in our favour. People talk about player fatigue but is there such a thing as manager fatigue?

He has had major stress on him and getting a few days off to go away and relax before the final big push can only help him.

VanGaalEra

As a comparison, we've already played 41 games this season, in LVG's first season, we played 44.

I know which season I prefer.

VanGaalEra

But … why would you ever pick a name with no longevity? Just why :confused::nono:
:lol:
I was conned by the WC and the Philosphy! Tbh when I signed up to the Caf, it was just to follow the Vidal transfer (muppet in me) and didn't expect to post us much so signed up with any old username.

SqueakyWeasel

I was conned by the WC and the Philosphy! Tbh when I signed up to the Caf, it was just to follow the Vidal transfer (muppet in me) and didn't expect to post us much so signed up with any old username.
:lol: Brilliant! Nearly 10,000 posts later on a Manchester United message board it turns that you're mistakenly here because of the managerial genius that swopped out a keeper 5 seconds before a pen shoot out for Holland in a world cup!

I actually have a lot of respect for that!

VanGaalEra

:lol: Brilliant! Nearly 10,000 posts later on a Manchester United message board it turns that you're mistakenly here because of the managerial genius that swopped out a keeper 5 seconds before a pen shoot out for Holland in a world cup!

I actually have a lot of respect for that!
Haha, it was the Vidal transfer that made me sign up, had enough of googling Manchester United transfer news and fecking caught offside and Daily Mail always came up.

ti vu

Bump.

If we go all the way in FA Cup & EL, how can we fit our league fixture? That's City, Southampton & Burnley games being rescheduled. FA really fecked up fixture for clubs in Europe really. It's like they don't want teams to succeed in Europe.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Forgetting Chelsea, Everton, Spurs, Arsenal and City to come I forgot how many relegation battling teams will also be in that list of games every 3 days (Sunderland, Palace, Swansea, Burnley). That's 9 potential banana skins right there. Nail biting times for you guys (and me :) ).

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Forgetting Chelsea, Everton, Spurs, Arsenal and City to come I forgot how many relegation battling teams will also be in that list of games every 3 days (Sunderland, Palace, Swansea, Burnley). That's 9 potential banana skins right there. Nail biting times for you guys (and me :) ).
I'd be more worried about our Europa League route.

I'd love it if you finished 4th but we won the EL.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
Starting from our League Cup Final. I genuinely struggle to see where we are going to fit games if we keep progressing in all competitions.

This list doesn't even include the City game at the Etihad. Reach the semi finals of the FAC and the Southampton and Burnley games would have to be rearranged.

Would make sense for me to reschedule the City game for midweek straight after the final. Otherwise we could genuinely have a clusterfeck of fixtures.

Look at April!

26/03/17: Manchester United v Southampton
04/03/17: Manchester United v Bournemouth
09/03/17: EL Round of 16, first leg
11/03/17: FA Cup 1/4 Final
12/03/17: Manchester United v Southampton
16/03/17: EL Round of 16, second leg
19/03/17: Middlesbrough v Manchester United

INTERNATIONAL BREAK

01/04/17: Manchester United v WBA
05/04/17: Manchester United v Everton
08/04/17: Sunderland v Manchester United
13/04/17: EL Quarter-finals, first leg
15/04/17: Manchester United v Chelsea
20/04/17: EL Quarter-finals, second leg
22/04/17: Burnley v Manchester United
22/04/17: FA Cup Semi Finals
29/04/17: Manchester United v Swansea
04/05/17: EL Semi-finals, first leg
06/05/17: Arsenal v Manchester United
11/05/17: EL Semi-finals, second leg
13/05/17: Spurs v Manchester United
21/05/17: Manchester United v Crystal Palace
24/05/17: EL Final (Friends Arena, Solna)
27/05/17: FA Cup Final
That is fecking insane

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Being involved in the EL is such a fecking disaster. We'll do bloody well to not let it mess up our league campaign completely. I'm already seriously concerned about the effect it will have on our first cup final under Mourinho. Such a stupid competition. Should be CL or bust.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
21/05/17: Manchester United v Crystal Palace
24/05/17: EL Final (Friends Arena, Solna)
The fecking Europa League final is three days after the last league game?! Bastards :mad:

And Serie A will still have a game the following weekend, should Roma make it to the final.

Jinn

If we win the cup on Sunday, I think Mo will sacrifice the FA Cup...

Northstand

If we win the cup on Sunday, I think Mo will sacrifice the FA Cup...
Hasn't he already said, "we can't be like Manchester City; we respect the FA Cup", or words to that effect? He'd make himself look pretty stupid to disregard that stance now.

ti vu

Being involved in the EL is such a fecking disaster. We'll do bloody well to not let it mess up our league campaign completely. I'm already seriously concerned about the effect it will have on our first cup final under Mourinho. Such a stupid competition. Should be CL or bust.
I don't think EL is the problem but the FA itself. Why don't they let us play in mid week between
26/02/17: Manchester United v Southampton (EFL Final)
04/03/17: Manchester United v Bournemouth, when we already have 2 rescheduled game (potential another one if we progress to semi final in FA Cup)? Then when the run-in already crammed the way it is (3 games per week), they now have to fit those rescheduled games so we can finish the league season on time with the rest (bottlers in Europe).

If we're challenging for the title, I would drop the EL in a heart beat (like how SAF did back then). Chelsea's simply running away with the league while winning the top 4 trophy would require more game & more risk. EL is a trophy & less games to win in order to achieve it. Dropping EL would mean subdue to FA's stupidity & on the way to become just like Tottenham & Arsenal.

Last edited:

JohnnyKills

Both the games that have been postponed are away games and tough ones at that - City and Southampton.

So there's every chance United will have four successive away games - Arsenal, Spurs, City and Southampton - before the Palace game at OT in the final round. And we'll need to win the games because our top four rivals will most likely have the points on the board.

Not ideal.

JohnnyKills

I don't think EL is the problem but the FA itself. Why don't they let us play in mid week between
26/02/17: Manchester United v Southampton (EFL Final)
04/03/17: Manchester United v Bournemouth, when we already have 2 rescheduled game (potential another one if we progress to semi final in FA Cup)? Then when the run-in already crammed the way it is (3 games per week), they now have to fit those rescheduled games so we can finish the league season on time with the rest (bottlers in Europe).

If we're challenging for the title, I would drop the EL in a heart beat (like how SAF did back then). Chelsea's simply running away with the league while winning the top 4 trophy would require more game & more risk. EL is a trophy & less games to win in order to achieve it. Dropping EL would mean subdue to FA's stupidity & on the way to become just like Tottenham & Arsenal.
the answer is blindingly obvious to me:

scrap the international break.
Agreed.

Ban international football entirely and declare Germany the winners in perpetuity. It would both save time and wind up the Little Inglunder mouth breathers.

R300k

T A
Our fixture seems a little bit congested but for sure Jose will have no problem coping with it. If there is someone born to deal with this kind of stuff, it must be him. Many times throughout his career, Jose has proved it by many many fantastic achievements including two times treble (the well-known with Inter 2010 and the time at Porto (EL + Primeira Liga + Portugal national cup) in 2003), plus time to time doubles from Porto 2004 (CL + Primeira Liga) to Chelsea 2005 (PL + Carling Cup (CC), 2007 (CC + FA), 2015 (PL + CC), for me also Real 2012 (a super team, a winner owning the massive history record 121 goals of La Liga and just being eliminated in very unlucky CL semi-final after penalty shoot-out with two unbelievable missing turns of two big names Ronaldo and Kaka).

So fixture congestion is never a problem, with Jose, the further our team march in cups the many winning chances we still have left. Jose is the trusted one who deserves to be counted on and it's gonna be a strong end for us

Reactions: Invictus

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Luckily we're not traveling to Russia or somewhere next Wednesday and hopefully we'll get a bit of luck in upcoming draws.

We're definitely going to have to rotate well. If we can change 3 outfield players each game without upsetting the rhythm we should be OK. That should ensure that everyone gets a 5-7 day rest after playing two games in 3-5 days. Manageable.

zeekey

We're definitely going to have to rotate well. If we can change 3 outfield players each game without upsetting the rhythm we should be OK. That should ensure that everyone gets a 5-7 day rest after playing two games in 3-5 days. Manageable.
Not had much luck in those draws as it turned out.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Not had much luck in those draws as it turned out.
It's as bad as your post could have hoped. Chelsea away AND a trip to Russia... before it.

Dennis Viollet

The reverse .Rossi
March

04/03/17: Manchester United v Bournemouth
09/03/17: at Rostov
11/03/17: at Stamford Bridge
16/03/17: Vs Rostov
19/03/17: Middlesbrough v Manchester United

next week international break