Potential Matic Replacements

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
You're a genius, you watched Wolves a few times this season and decided Neves was their main midfielder, eventhough wolves fans have been saying he's been dissapointing.

Are the Wolves fans wrong?
I thought we end the discussion?

Regarding what the fans expecting is, if a player plays 18/21 games, fair to say he's one of their main player who feature their XI week in week out for the manager.

I didn't say he's been good. So fair if Wolves fans think Moutinho has been the better player because I never say Neves is their best player or their player of the season so far, but you interpreted it differently & refused to listen.

Walters_19_MuFc

Has anyone been following Declan Rice much this season?

Centre back, who has moved to holding midfield under Pellegrini and has been getting rave reviews.

Watched him closely today against Arsenal and he's been pretty impressive. Has scored too.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
We should take a look at Allan at Napoli, he was the one doing the leg work while Jorginho fannied about.

In Rainbows

Just break the bank at De Jong. Not many DMs that are as technical as him, as good of a dribbler as him, and as good at advancing play.

Utdstar01

He was really good first half. Didn't quite have the legs second half to stop their midfield. We're missing that Kante type midfielder that has the legs to work tirelessly for 90 minutes. We needed that change in the second half but we didn't have the personnel on the bench to play in that role.

Sanche7

He was really good first half. Didn't quite have the legs second half to stop their midfield. We're missing that Kante type midfielder that has the legs to work tirelessly for 90 minutes. We needed that change in the second half but we didn't have the personnel on the bench to play in that role.
Fred - most distance covered in CL 2018

Dante

Average bang
Whoever we buy HAS TO be a third centreback-style DM.

Our attackers aren't going to help with chasing back. Our CBs have been an Achilles heel all season. Pogba is always going to be a liability when the other team has the ball. And our fullbacks are better going forwards than backwards. The only kind of player that makes sense is a holding player that drops between our centrebacks and who can help out aerially on crossed balls.

I'm less bothered about a DLP than most on here. As long as the other two midfielders are creative with the ball - and Pogba most certainly is, so that's at least one - we'll be able to playmake just fine.

If I'm honest, I'm struggling to look past Declan Rice at the moment. He fits the profile perfectly. If City get him to replace Fernandinho, we'll have missed a trick.

Devil may care

Declan Rice isn't the answer IMO, our CB situation can change dramatically this summer, which will allow us the DLP this team needs to go with Ander and Pogba, as to me you bring in a kid like Rice then Herrera is not a good fit in midfield as the 3rd man as we'd need another passer, I see no point in trying to replace Ander and Matic, re-sign Ander, sort out the CB's and get in a cultured #6 who's more about positioning and pasing than running around a lot.

As for Matic, as I said from the start of this thread, fine as a squad player next season, but he's a weak link in games against teams that press hard in midfield.

In Rainbows

Whoever we buy HAS TO be a third centreback-style DM.

Our attackers aren't going to help with chasing back. Our CBs have been an Achilles heel all season. Pogba is always going to be a liability when the other team has the ball. And our fullbacks are better going forwards than backwards. The only kind of player that makes sense is a holding player that drops between our centrebacks and who can help out aerially on crossed balls.

I'm less bothered about a DLP than most on here. As long as the other two midfielders are creative with the ball - and Pogba most certainly is, so that's at least one - we'll be able to playmake just fine.

If I'm honest, I'm struggling to look past Declan Rice at the moment. He fits the profile perfectly. If City get him to replace Fernandinho, we'll have missed a trick.
A DLP would help us play against the top clubs. We have struggled with the pressing against these teams and have often been starved of possession because no one is technical enough to play in smaller spaces.

Devil May Care has a point too. With another CB, we'll probably look more solid. I would still welcome a destroyer though. Can't hurt to have that option.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I still maintain Rice will be a CB at a top team, not a DM. Although, he’s been paying well there for West Ham. He reminds me a lot of Dier there. Not dynamic enough in there for me. He could work well in a specific system, but he’d get found out like Dier does against a top quality midfield.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

What about Marc Roca from Espanyol? Madrid is after his signature... anyone familiar with this kid and his style of play?

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
What about Marc Roca from Espanyol? Madrid is after his signature... anyone familiar with this kid and his style of play?
Roca is your typical young deep-lying playmaker and holding midfielder hybrid that seem to be en vogue in recent years, though as of right now he isn't excellent in either aspect (a bit like Iturraspe when he was emerging at Athltic Club). Good passing range — both short and long, decent ball control and press resistance (which is of paramount importance in that position in the contemporary game), not very athletic but fairly composed and calculating in the defensive phase for his age. However, he's not ready to play for United, IMO — would be too big of a jump because he needs to mature by a considerable degree wrt. consistency, choice of passes, tenacity, positioning and awareness to play as the #6 behind Pogba. Madrid can sign him and stash him behind Casemiro or use him in rotation with Valverde/Llorente — we don't quite have the time or room to do that given Matić's declining athleticism (which necessitates a more ready-made fix).

P.S. Some decent passing actions:

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Hopefully Garner can get some games before the end of the season. For all we know, he could be better than Rice and the new flavour of the month foreign Jonny.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Matic needs to be properly replaced. He just does not have the legs to play in that position anymore

Kidders

Paredes, looks like Zenit may sell, he's a Matic clone and at his age (25 I think) he is coming into his prime, it would be pure greed if Chelski sign him as it would give them Jorghino, Kante and Parades able to play the Matic role.

Milo2035

How i wish Blind were still here. CDM, CB, LB... He could do it all. Great fighting spirit and never complain.

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
We need a regista able to boss the midfield & able to pass long & short with great accuracy. Paredes is the answer. And at £36m he's a steal. Hope Chelsea don't get him.

Jorginho & Verratti are taken. Neves, De Jong & certainly Tonali are not ready to make the step up to United. As for Fred well... I'm still uncertain as to what the hell kind of midfielder he is.

Andersons Dietician

I’d prefer a deep lying playmaker type but I have to wonder what is going on with Kante at Chelsea. It would seem like madness to me to want to sell him but he’s played out of position and now they are after Parades, just feel like soon we are going to start hearing noises about unrest and if that was the case how much would he cost.

I feel like Neves or DeJong are the ones that make most sense but even with them I’d feel like you would need Herrera along side them or someone else who can get about and break up the oppositions play. I just can’t think of a really good stand out DLP who can do both to a good enough standard.

Hammer_st

I would go all in for De Jong. He is available and has already proved his class in the Champions League. And he has the potential to become one of the best DMs on the world.

If we search a more possession style I would go for Harry Winks. His passes and his movements on the pitch are amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:

LuckyScout78

Rgiht now there are 3 really good options that are giving me good feeling.

1. Axel Witsel. He just turned 30. But he is lightweight and easy on the toes player like Giggs. So i think he has 3 more years left on the top. If you want a cm that dictate and control the midfield and game. You will go for Witsel. Even away against a really solid and good team like A Madrid. Witsel and Dortmund just bossed them at their home ground. So mark the date. Spurs vs Dortmund. Im sure and believe Dortmund will control those matches.
Witsel is a kind of player that he knows he is really good football player. A player with high confidence and self belief like Pogba. He sit more back and dictate the game in these days. But he definitive has the speed in him to make a good run forward with the ball. Pass players instead of passing if its a effience solution.

2. Kante. No need for presentation. He is best in 2 men central midfield. Not as a right cm player with Chelsea. So if Chelsea drop out of top 4 yet another year and he still want to play in his best position. Then United can offer him that role like this for an example.

Sancho - Kante - Witsel - Martial + Pobga as a free nr.10 + Rashdord or
Sancho - Kante - Pobga/Herrera - Martial + Pogba + Rashford

3rd option is De Jong from Ajax. But his physical and style might suit Barca and Spanish league more. But if you give De Jong a nr.8 role, a more offensive role beside a deep laying Witsel for example or Kante. Like this.

Sancho - Kante/Witsel nr.6 - De Jong nr8 - Martial + Pogba nr.10 + Rashford. Then he will need lesser of the physical ability. Both of Witsel and Kante have the physical to cope with premier league. For me, im sure De Jong is best as a nr.8. A more free cm role that he roam over a big area to help and support the attack. De Jong can pass players, then it will open up like 2 against 1 situations.

I do follow Ruben Neves and Declan Rice. But those 3 cm options above are telling they are the players every top teams shall have and buy.
So 3 clear cm options so far with 2 knocking on the door options.

Sea-Cow

Ndidi from Leicester. Said it before and I stick by it.
Agreed.

He is quality both defensively and with his passing range. I also like his attitude in the few matches I've seen. He is a fighter.

And he is young and experienced in the prem. Sounds perfect to me.

I would take Ndidi over D. Rice because of his ability with the ball. Rice provides excellent cover defensively, but he looks (from my admitedly limited time watching him) to be very unconfident on the ball. He gets the ball back well, which is a trait we need and could definitely use, but then he immediately gives it to a teammate with a five-yard pass.

Bestietom

Ndidi would be one I would like to see here. Why not try our own Fosu Mensah there. He is mobile, can tackle, and pass the ball. Maybe introduce him there from the bench in some games first. I am sure that Carrick can take him aside in training him one to one.

ArjenIsM3

Ndidi would be one I would like to see here. Why not try our own Fosu Mensah there. He is mobile, can tackle, and pass the ball. Maybe introduce him there from the bench in some games first. I am sure that Carrick can take him aside in training him one to one.
He doesn't have the ability to play as a wingback let alone as a midfielder.

Jibbs

I'd rather we sign Militao and make a midfield three of Pogba, Fred and him, with Pogba playing in his current role.

Ephrem

Neves.. One and only Ruben Neves.

P.s : Hard to understand why his name is not mentioned more.

Dion

Why not try our own Fosu Mensah there. He is mobile, can tackle, and pass the ball. Maybe introduce him there from the bench in some games first. I am sure that Carrick can take him aside in training him one to one.
Technically nowhere near good enough sadly.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Neves would be my choice - a player who can control the pace of the game and pick out a pass.

That is with the expectation that we upgrade at CB though.

Sea-Cow

Neves.. One and only Ruben Neves.

P.s : Hard to understand why his name is not mentioned more.
I know that others disagree strongly, but I think he is a bit of a youtube player, more hype than actual ability. He looks good in clips when he belts one in from outside the box, but I don't think he has the game-to-game impact that Wolves require, much less United. I admit to not watching all of his starts or closing analyzing his every movement, but I always notice Moutinho more. Moutinho is the one doing the dirty work that I would want in a Matic-replacement.

Maybe Neves is perfectly capable of doing this role well and he is just isn't being asked to right now, but then it would be a weird purchase. I also think he would cost a bomb.

Ephrem

Is he as good defensively?
He's got that tenacity you would expect from a mancManche united midfielder. His defensive part definitely needs working though.

I think he will be a hell of a player in three years time.

Ephrem

I know that others disagree strongly, but I think he is a bit of a youtube player, more hype than actual ability. He looks good in clips when he belts one in from outside the box, but I don't think he has the game-to-game impact that Wolves require, much less United. I admit to not watching all of his starts or closing analyzing his every movement, but I always notice Moutinho more. Moutinho is the one doing the dirty work that I would want in a Matic-replacement.

Maybe Neves is perfectly capable of doing this role well and he is just isn't being asked to right now, but then it would be a weird purchase. I also think he would cost a bomb.
The guy got the tenacity and the passing range. His defensive side needs working but it's not that bad even now. And he's just 21, by 23-24 he will be an awesome player. I prefer him because he knows the pace and physicality of the English game and I believe he have what it takes to be a united player.

I can see him moving to United or City in the summer.

Kidders

Neves is'nt available and would cost a bomb and we'd face competion to get him.
Paredes is available now and Zenit will accept £38m from the first club to offer it.