Potential Matic Replacements

Dante

Average bang
I would take Neves as an upgrade on Herrera, with Rice as an anchor for the slightly more attacking midfield setup.

If we got both, I think we could count ourselves in the running for absolutely everything. Would be worth the money, considering how young they both are.

Last edited:

eltigreFalcao

In my opinion,

Doing a bit of reshuffle and tactical training -proper training to make our own players adapt to certain formations and football styles, we could do very good with Fred, Herrera and Pogba.

Sometimes it seems as if they were all playing utside their best position or the one which they could get the most of their abilities. That having in mind that we'll play with a midfield three. That said is fair to say we could gamble on a young option as there are very talented midfieldiers on their early twenties that could make it to be top class. Im thinking of Neves, De Jong, Ndombelé, et al. Between them ill go for Neves as I have been watching him and love his style of play.

For a more stablished performer, another one that i definitely like, I'll go for Paredes. He is outstanding, I've been all month on wishing he doesnt go to Chelsea, but tbh I dont see any new faces coming in come 31st January and that means we could miss on many options. On the other hand I'm actually willing to wait and see who comes as a permanent manager, that for me is a more important issue, I just hope is someone who start to build up something that last and grows, no more patches.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Invictus

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I would take Neves as an upgrade on Herrera, with Rice as an anchor for the slightly more attacking midfield setup.

If we got both, I think we could count ourselves in the running for absolutely everything. Would be worth the money, considering how young they both are.
Are those two really upgrades for Matic and Herrera. They are still too young and can be inconsistent to be considered upgrading for the next season. Just can’t imagine a 20 years old and 22 years old are the solution behind Pogba. May be signing one of them and let him develop probably a better choice. And also we still have Garner who I heard a highly rated by McKenna.

Shaw Mee Tah Mané

Pellegrini with another great performance for Roma. Whats up with him?

- Release clause of around £35m
- 22 years old
- Experienced (Italian international and a lot of Serie A-games already)
- Not the best at many things (yet), but seriously have 0 weaknesses.
- I can see him fit both the roles of Matic/Herrera. Roma play with 3 very similar roles in the middle like we do, he is their Herrera.

Rake

Neves could be a good option he definitely has the passing ability for the postion
I think we need more of a destroyer than a playmaker. Wouldn't Neves replace Herrera rather than Matic (not following football closely these days)?

I think we need more of a destroyer than a playmaker. Wouldn't Neves replace Herrera rather than Matic (not following football closely these days)?
Herrera and Fred are destroyers, we need someone that can pass the ball other than Pogba.

Dante

Average bang
I think so, too.

The benefit of getting Neves in for Herrera is that it takes the creative pressure off Pogba. At the moment, an injury to Pogba would leave us fecked. But if Pogba plays on the left and Neves on the right (where his crossing is world class), we'd have two players who can cover for each other creatively in case of absence or loss of form.

Building that kind of contingency into the squad is the clever strategy to take. As such, it's arguably our most pressing weakness from a risk management point of view. AM is the position with the biggest drop off in quality for alternative options.

But as you say, having Pogba and Neves would necessitate a destroyer type behind them. We should be looking at an AM+DM duo to complement each other.

Ekeke

Stats

Positioning
He's number 77

Vs Napoli (Inter's most recent big game)

Vs Juventus

So he plays alone as the deepest CM/DM currently for Inter

Aggressive ball winning, very good passing from deep. He'd be expensive though I'm sure. He's what Chelsea will wish they had instead of Jorginho.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
What is Matic's role? Is he a playmaker? DM? Box to box? Or a combination of all three? I have always advocated having a line of three midfield players, with Pogba in front, like a 10. My three would be Herrera, Fred and Pereira. Matic is struggling to cover opponents runs into the box, most glaring was first few minutes v Spurs, he let Winks go, and it caused us a problem, and he is usually behind an opponent when they make the runs into the box when he does cover. He has looked very good under Ole, in an offensive way, but I do think he struggles defensively. Herrera and Fred are both box to box players, while Pereira to me is more a playmaker. All three would have defensive duties, ie covering the runs into the box, and staying with that player until ball is won back. All three can support the front three (Martial, Rashford and Pogba) and once they had played together for a few games, would have a better understanding of each other. Pogba would be relieved of defensive duties, but would be part of the press if we used that.

Reactions: Invictus

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
What about tousart? Herrera/Fred, Matic/tousart, pogba/pereira would give us the perfect combination we need

poleglass red

A player like Kante would be my ideal scenario. I feel he can genuinely do the job of both Matic and Herrera. I think we still lack a midfield controller, someone who dictates the pace of the game. The recent game v Brighton, we were crying out for that. I think the days of just having a sitter as in Matic are gone. He's supposed to be our defensive midfielder yet he can't track runs. You need to be expecting more from that area of mid. It's all good and well having good positioning like he generally does have, but as we've seen, good teams can pass that and he's fecked when they do. I like Herrera and I think he could do Matic's role if we brought that controller type mid in.

beingshe7don

I think getting Neves is a no brainer. The guy is fearless... has adjusted really well to the PL and he's only 21. He would be a perfect replacement for Matic. He's got a terrific long shot on him and he's great at retrieving the ball and pulling the trigger on a killer pass. He would provide us with the velocity the team requires to hit back at teams on the counter. I would go to the extent on throwing in Pereira to sweeten the deal with Wolves. Although, I'm a huge fan of Pereira... he just hasn't cut it whenever given the chance. His best displays have been in preseason which sadly doesn't matter.
----- Pogba -----
Neves --- Herrera

I think Neves and if we can get Pellegrini to rotate with Pogba and Herrera would give us depth in the squad in midfield. I really hope we get Neves before one of the top teams steal him.

beingshe7don

I think getting Neves is a no brainer. The guy is fearless... has adjusted really well to the PL and he's only 21. He would be a perfect replacement for Matic. He's got a terrific long shot on him and he's great at retrieving the ball and pulling the trigger on a killer pass. He would provide us with the velocity the team requires to hit back at teams on the counter. I would go to the extent on throwing in Pereira to sweeten the deal with Wolves. Although, I'm a huge fan of Pereira... he just hasn't cut it whenever given the chance. His best displays have been in preseason which sadly doesn't matter.
----- Pogba -----
Neves --- Herrera

I think Neves and if we can get Pellegrini to rotate with Pogba and Herrera would give us depth in the squad in midfield. I really hope we get Neves before one of the top teams steal him.

beingshe7don

----- Pogba -----
Neves --- Herrera

beingshe7don

----- Pogba -----
Neves --- Herrera

Kidders

I think we should hijack PSG's bid for Gueye. 30 Million is nothing.
Can't see him going for that sort of money, but if true then yes we should, however I still think we should be looking at the availability of Paredes, that said I'm starting to warm to the idea of Neves, the problem there may well be that City will also be interested.

NoPace

Can't see him going for that sort of money, but if true then yes we should, however I still think we should be looking at the availability of Paredes, that said I'm starting to warm to the idea of Neves, the problem there may well be that City will also be interested.
I wouldn't go after Gueye. 30M for a 30 year old (at start of next season) midfielder whose game is predicated on his mobility seems like a terrible idea to me.

Seems like we really missed the boat on Rodri, who went to Atletico for 20M after playing well for Villareal.

Jackxxx

Adrien Rabiot contract expires at the end of the season. I think he is very good option for free. Fellaini should be leaving, Matic will be too old. Fred may also be sold because he is just not the top class we need.

AfroBuffalo

I think Malinkovic Savic; although being muted at £100 mil; would be amazing in a 3 with Pogba; Herrera taking on the deep lying role left over by Matic.

SAFMUTD

An ideal replacement for Matic would be Doucure or Ndidi. They are both really physical, strong high stamina and recover the ball great which is what we should aim at.

Neves would be great as well, but not for the Matic spot. He would be for the Herrera or even Pogba spot, as his better attributes are ofensive rather than defensive.

ForestRGoinUp

----- Pogba -----
Neves --- Herrera

Ekeke

An ideal replacement for Matic would be Doucure or Ndidi. They are both really physical, strong high stamina and recover the ball great which is what we should aim at.

Neves would be great as well, but not for the Matic spot. He would be for the Herrera or even Pogba spot, as his better attributes are ofensive rather than defensive.
Doucoure doesnt win the ball a lot. He does a fairly normal amount, 2 tackles and 0 interceptions per game which would mean relying on Ander to do the majority of ball winning, just like now.

But why would we replace Matic with another player that relies on Ander to do most of the ball winning?

There are DMs who win the ball a lot themselves so you dont need 2 of them playing.

Ndidi is currently pushing a bit further forward than Mendy for Leicester. So he's more in the Ander role trying to win the ball a bit further up the pitch. That doesnt mean he couldnt be good at sitting in front of the CBs, it just means thats not the role hes currently playing so we dont know how he'd do.

Devil may care

Paredes and de Jong off the table now, I can't see the point in just adding another ball winner like Ander as we'll have the same issue of Pogba being the sole source of creative passing in midfield, something Matic does add a bit too on occassions. Neves stands out a mile as an ideal partner with Herrera and Pogba and under Carrick he can develop further in the #6 role. Beyond him I think Aouar is the next best option.

I like Rabiot as a player but his Mommy's boy antics over the last couple of months have put me off him.

Rocknrolla69er

Well the ideal one for me Paredes is now at PSG, called that weeks ago well done me

Seriously though , giving some thought to Neves now but how’s the defensive side of his game

poleglass red

Not great apparently
Is Matic's good?
he's not one for making tackles, he doesn't track runners. He relies on his positioning which is good but as see week in and week out, good teams can get past him and once they do he's done. He's benefitted in recent weeks with having Herrera in there as he'll do the tracking and hustle for him.

Is Matic's good?
he's not one for making tackles, he doesn't track runners. He relies on his positioning which is good but as see week in and week out, good teams can get past him and once they do he's done. He's benefitted in recent weeks with having Herrera in there as he'll do the tracking and hustle for him.
Matic was good at these things before he started declining

SAFMUTD

Doucoure doesnt win the ball a lot. He does a fairly normal amount, 2 tackles and 0 interceptions per game which would mean relying on Ander to do the majority of ball winning, just like now.

But why would we replace Matic with another player that relies on Ander to do most of the ball winning?

There are DMs who win the ball a lot themselves so you dont need 2 of them playing.

Ndidi is currently pushing a bit further forward than Mendy for Leicester. So he's more in the Ander role trying to win the ball a bit further up the pitch. That doesnt mean he couldnt be good at sitting in front of the CBs, it just means thats not the role hes currently playing so we dont know how he'd do.
Doucure is currently playing in a two midfielder formation, from what I've seem he is the one that makes most of the defensive job. Ndidi for me is the next best thing to Kante, he is great on stamina, recovers a lot, and win a lot of aerial balls. I didn't knew that he was currently playing further but from what I've seen we is currently one of the best CDMs in the league.

I can't post images yet in the forum, but take a look at this link. It shows the comparison in defence between Matic, Herrera and Ndidi.

https://ibb.co/GHXdYQc

poleglass red

Matic was good at these things before he started declining
Not for tracking runners he wasn't, that's never been a part of his game even in his prime. He has his strengths but as a defensive mid, I feel you should be expecting that player to go with the runner. I remember his 1st season with us, we played Stoke and he made Stephen Ireland look like Frank Lampard. Chelsea were smart, they always give him energy in players like Ramires and later on Kante, bit similar to what we are doing with Herrera. I just feel we don't need 2 defence minded mids. We could let Herrera do the donkey work and bring in a mid that can be creative and help set the pace for the team.

Jeffthered

I am surprised at this thread... Matic is playing superbly, has been that player who played so well at Chelsea under Mourinho'. He's an excellent player. Herrera compliments him v well. I suppose the thread was created when things were not too good, which he (Matic) suffered from.

Jorginho ans Kante provide examples of who could do that job. But they are not going anywhere.

Fred is v v important for us (potentially...). He can cover the ground, but also plays a bit... He has to get up to speed with Premiership because he is still way off.

beingshe7don

I am surprised at this thread... Matic is playing superbly, has been that player who played so well at Chelsea under Mourinho'. He's an excellent player. Herrera compliments him v well. I suppose the thread was created when things were not too good, which he (Matic) suffered from.

Jorginho ans Kante provide examples of who could do that job. But they are not going anywhere.

Fred is v v important for us (potentially...). He can cover the ground, but also plays a bit... He has to get up to speed with Premiership because he is still way off.
Matic may have improved but he's still slow in transition. With De Jong moving to Barca and Rabiot running down his contract, getting Rabiot would be a great acquisition as he would be a great option for Matic.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Matic may have improved but he's still slow in transition. With De Jong moving to Barca and Rabiot running down his contract, getting Rabiot would be a great acquisition as he would be a great option for Matic.
Honestly, Rabiot is nothing special IMO.

Macern

Pee pee pants
I think I’ll be disappointed with every replacement except for Neves. He’s perfect. I don’t care if we have to pay 80 million. He’s worth it.