Potential Matic Replacements

TsuWave

Was having this conversation with someone else and they suggested Denis Zakaria, I’m not familiar with the player, anyone knows if he’s any good?

Mcking

Was having this conversation with someone else and they suggested Denis Zakaria, I’m not familiar with the player, anyone knows if he’s any good?
Quick search shows me he is Borussia Monchengladbach's Defensive midfielder. Swiss, 22, 6 ft 2 in. Joined them from Young Boys in 2017 and has 18 Swiss caps.
He has made 10 Bundesliga starts + 8 sub apps according to Whoscored.
2/3.2 tackles per 90
1.1 interceptions
1 clearance
0.4 blocks
1.1 aerial duels(57per)
1.8/3.0 long passes
1.4/2.7 dribbles
27.7/33.5 passes(82.7per)

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It's reported that United will have a scout watching FC Brugge v RB Salzburg in the coming days. One of the players rumoured to be being watched by us is RB Salzburg's Diadie Samassekou who plays as the DM for them and is very comfortable playing in a more advanced role too. Roma seem to be showing the strongest interest in signing him but PSG are also monitoring him according to reports.

He just turned 23 last month and looks to have very good passing ability and is also a very good dribbler. He also slots nicely into the RCM position if required and would potentially give us tactical flexibility.

Fracture90

Kante, he's wasted at Chelsea.
They'll never sell him though, he's their highest paid player and their PR good guy face. They'll sack Sarri rather soon imo and then it's back to playing Kante in his position, whilst Jorginho will be a bench warmer.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
It's reported that United will have a scout watching FC Brugge v RB Salzburg in the coming days. One of the players rumoured to be being watched by us is RB Salzburg's Diadie Samassekou who plays as the DM for them and is very comfortable playing in a more advanced role too. Roma seem to be showing the strongest interest in signing him but PSG are also monitoring him according to reports.

He just turned 23 last month and looks to have very good passing ability and is also a very good dribbler. He also slots nicely into the RCM position if required and would potentially give us tactical flexibility.
There's a few of players on both sides we've monitored before. Kreppin Diatta was linked to us when he was at Sarpsborg, Haaland. Would be a good game to watch for a scout I imagine.

In Rainbows

The midfield currently has Pogba. Pogba's main asset is his ability to create to such an extent that others don't necessarily need to be as good in that area. He contributes in all other areas, but in more so chips in to help. He lacks energy (in other areas other than on the attack) as his style is more so based on floating around when not on the ball and when not on counter attacks. Because of this, we need to compliment him with a combination of midfielders who can provide energy, be a constant presence in controlling a match through passing&technique, and providing defense.

Good first impression from that video. He clearly provides energy when defending. If we got him, all we would need is someone who can control the match with his passing and technique. Someone in the mold of Modric, Xavi, or Scholes.

The fact that he can also dribble and provide threatening balls, is extra value. It can lead to a very dominant midfield if we cover all what needs to be covered by a midfield unit, but with extra value like what Pogba or he could provide.

Resch

He would be a perfect squadplayer. Should be available for 20. Mill €.

soaphroniscuss

7Eh2E4kgFmE
Looking at that video he plays with the ball too far away from his body. Like with Depay this might be a problem in the EPL where you tend not to have the time and space he had in much of this video. The usual caveat applies in that it is not fair to judge a player by a youtube video but there isn't much in that video to suggest that he has the close control, short passing, reaction speed and/or knows how to protect the ball or to evade an aggressive press.

meninred

what about Ruben Neves from wolves ? i didn't see him mentioned.he seems excellent passer of the ball as well

Adnan

Talent Spotter
what about Ruben Neves from wolves ? i didn't see him mentioned.he seems excellent passer of the ball as well
Has been average for Wolves and even their own fans are losing patience after he was poor again, against a poor team in Huddersfield.

jesperjaap

Ascacibar would be my first choice but no links at all, the next would be Ndombele who is heavily linked with City at the moment. I do really like Neves but dont personally think he is the right player for us. Sandro Tonali is getting alot of hype, a young Italian but not even being in Serie A only seen youtube clips of him

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Declan Rice would be the best signing IMO. Exactly the sort of player Man Utd would have gone for under Fergie and would be available for years and able to fill in at centre half when needed.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Declan Rice would be the best signing IMO. Exactly the sort of player Man Utd would have gone for under Fergie and would be available for years and able to fill in at centre half when needed.
Exactly this. Declan Rice makes so much sense.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Exactly this. Declan Rice makes so much sense.
Him and Sancho together + a full back would cost A LOT though. How much would West Ham be asking, 70?

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Him and Sancho together + a full back would cost A LOT though. How much would West Ham be asking, 70?
I'd go for Wan Bissaka too. 3 top English talents that would be first teamers for the next 10 years at least.

I think Sancho is unrealistic this summer though.

Devil may care

Rice has a long contract and isn't all that good on the ball, for the price West Ham would want we could activate Rodri's buyout clause.

beingshe7don

McTominay played phenomenally today but I'm not sure he can deliver that performance on a consistent basis. I would still get Ndombele

Devil may care

I think people are getting carried away with McTominay but if he did become the DM then it changes what we need in the other #8 as his forward passing from deep isn't nearly good enough, he plays the role more like an Ndidi and the much vaunted Rice, win it and give it short, which means we need a ball playing #8 should Ole decide he's actually the Matic replacement, but to me he's more suited to being the guy that is back-up to the Matic upgrade.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I said it in jest, but McTominay is only a year older than Rice and has achieved much more than Rice has. Just performed on the biggest stage for us, as well. With Garner coming through, it would be horrendously harsh to buy another DM, when Matic will definitely be around for another season.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
We need a proper replacement. McT is not good enough long term and this position is key for us

NoPace

I think people are getting carried away with McTominay but if he did become the DM then it changes what we need in the other #8 as his forward passing from deep isn't nearly good enough, he plays the role more like an Ndidi and the much vaunted Rice, win it and give it short, which means we need a ball playing #8 should Ole decide he's actually the Matic replacement, but to me he's more suited to being the guy that is back-up to the Matic upgrade.
McTominay seems like he could grow into being a good backup for our #8, but asking him to start seems a bridge too far. As an example of how much quality is required, McTominay would have to be the 3rd best Scottish player of the last 20 years alongside Fletcher and Robertson. Do people think that's genuinely likely?

Devil may care

McTominay seems like he could grow into being a good backup for our #8, but asking him to start seems a bridge too far. As an example of how much quality is required, McTominay would have to be the 3rd best Scottish player of the last 20 years alongside Fletcher and Robertson. Do people think that's genuinely likely?
Back-up is the key term in all of this IMO, he's done well but is limited and whether it's as a #6 or #8 I think long term he's a squad player, and there's nothing wrong with that, people are just getting carried away as we are buzzing off last night's result and the general last 3 months under Ole.

TehRed

Just out of curiosity, if it wasn't possible to get Kanye away from Chelsea, how would we feel about Ndidi or Gueye as a budget rotation option in a similar mould?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
You've hardly set a high bar. That is quite easy an easy task. I doubt you would have thought Robertson would be the best LB in the league when he was at Hull. Don't see why he couldn't get to that level.
Back-up is the key term in all of this IMO, he's done well but is limited and whether it's as a #6 or #8 I think long term he's a squad player, and there's nothing wrong with that, people are just getting carried away as we are buzzing off last night's result and the general last 3 months under Ole.
It truly depends what you want in your defensive midfielder and if you think he's hit his ceiling - which I don't think he has. Scott has been in and around the first team for 2 seasons nearly now, under two different managers and both of them picked them in important games (albeit Ole was half forced)

Ekeke

I said it in jest, but McTominay is only a year older than Rice and has achieved much more than Rice has. Just performed on the biggest stage for us, as well. With Garner coming through, it would be horrendously harsh to buy another DM, when Matic will definitely be around for another season.
Explain

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
20 years old Sander Berge at Genk should be checked out. Great DM. Huge talent, great with the ball, very quick and 6ft 4in tall. Good at dribbling and crosses. Can become box to box player if he developes his goal scoring ability.

Devil may care

It truly depends what you want in your defensive midfielder and if you think he's hit his ceiling - which I don't think he has. Scott has been in and around the first team for 2 seasons nearly now, under two different managers and both of them picked them in important games (albeit Ole was half forced)
Personally I want all my midfielders to be better on the ball than he is, we got away with it vs PSG last night as they choked, but you have to usually keep and use the ball better than McTominay and Pereira did, and I know McTominay's pass accuracy was in the 90's last night but short, 5 yard sideways passing will always keep your stats up, to me the player from deep needs to be consistently able to thread it through the lines into Pogba and the forwards, and he can't do that. If you are suggesting him as a pure DM, like say Casemiro? Then we'd need to change Ander as at least 2 of the 3 in that midfield need to be good and proactive on the ball IMO and Ander is better at pressing and tackling than passing, he has a pass in his locker but he's not a consistently good passer and lacks range.

RedTiger

Half mast
Ive seen crazier things happen. Give it another 5 years and we may be considering him as a top 5 Scottish talent.

Devil may care

Just out of curiosity, if it wasn't possible to get Kanye away from Chelsea, how would we feel about Ndidi or Gueye as a budget rotation option in a similar mould?
I don't want Kanye, he'll bring all them Kardashians with him. ;) Ndidi and Gueye wouldn't offer a lot more than McTominay as that type of option IMO, neither of them are particularly good on the ball either and pure DM's, we have that option already.