Potential Matic Replacements

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
@SadlerMUFC

I don't know what's the issue here but just want to refer to you called Hargreaves as utility. I won't say he's an utility, he's clearly pure a DM player since that's where he was being played under Sir Alex. However, his assets allowed him to play different position like right back in semi final CL and defensive right winger in final CL. Utility is more like O'Shea or even Silvestre & Fortune because you just don't know what is their best position.
For me, a utility player is a guy who isn't in your best 11, however fills in for many games covering several positions. It's not an insult. In fact, it's a position that I think all great teams need. And yes, Hargraeves was a utility player as he played RB, RW and midfield. And no, he is not a pure DM. If he was, then he would have played a lot more games in that position. But whether you look at United, Bayern or England, he played just as often as a midfielder as he did in those other positions. The reason why most think of him as a DM is because it was in that position that he gained his popularity for England. I think it was the game vs Portugal where he played really well and won over the supporters. But prior to that he played mostly as a winger for England and most questioned why he was even in the team...

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Same here. I had it before, worst thing is that he tends to keep going on and on. It's like arguing with Roy Keane.
It creates what psychologists call a positive feedback loop. Poster A says something. Poster B disagrees with with what Poster A said. Poster A then responds again, which lead Poster B to repond, which leads to Poster A to respond and so continues the cycle.

I see it all forums when two posters get into an argument.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I think that the route of the confusion here is that Hargreaves was playing a right-sided role in a 4-4-2/4-3-3 hybrid. In a sense, you are all correct.

Now, let's move on and get back to arguing over which potential midfield target best suits our chosen hypothetical 2020/21 season lineup. Much more productive!
This is kind of what i alluded to. For me it was a 4-4-2 with Ronaldo free to attack and not track back and Hargreaves more defensive.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It creates what psychologists call a positive feedback loop. Poster A says something. Poster B disagrees with with what Poster A said. Poster A then responds again, which lead Poster B to repond, which leads to Poster A to respond and so continues the cycle.

I see it all forums when two posters get into an argument.
I wasn't referring to that. I was referring to a poster who decided to talk about something else instead of sticking on what in the discussion.

manuchamp88

How do you know the biggest clubs are after him? Are you his agent?

I haven’t seen a single reputable source suggesting he’s getting a move to a big club.

Let’s see if these big clubs actually sign him.

How can one say something so wrong about so many in so few words?

Ndidi stat quality? Rice typical English?
It's not outrageous. Even the Premier League website was insinuating he was the best DM in the league just a few months ago (Here ), declaring that he had the best tackle and interception stats. Rice is only comparable now because he's played 6 more games than Ndidi. But let's get real - would you honesty want Rice at our club? He's just...okay. He can pass and tackle. Fine. But he's just so pedestrian and saps any joy out of the game. Who actually looks forward to his name on the team-sheet? It's like going into a fancy restaurant and finding creamed spinach as a side dish on the menu. It's just there. It's not particularly appealing but it might help your hunger subside. But ultimately, you would head home feeling totally underwhelmed.

Anyway, to be honest, I would prefer Neves over Ndidi. He's exciting. He can tackle and pass, sure, but he's also got a wicked fire in his belly and can score some absolute belters.

seegoblu

Saw a report this morning that Arsenal is running the ruler over Koopmeiners. I’d be OK with the Gunners taking one of Partey/Koopmeiners and we take the other.

Infra-red

Saw a report this morning that Arsenal is running the ruler over Koopmeiners. I’d be OK with the Gunners taking one of Partey/Koopmeiners and we take the other.
They have also been linked with Marc Roca. Seems they are in the market for a DM with decent distribution skills.

Dazzmondo

I like Ibrahim Sangare or Eduardo Camavinga. Camavinga is probably the better signing since he looks amazing at the age of just 17 but I also expect he would be very expensive so Sangare could probably be bought cheaper and I also think he would be an excellent dm for us. They are both among the best tacklers in Europe and would allow Pogba and Fernandes more licence to stay forward knowing they could rely on their dm to cover for them. I think we have good backups in Matic and McTominay then too.

croadyman

I like Ibrahim Sangare or Eduardo Camavinga. Camavinga is probably the better signing since he looks amazing at the age of just 17 but I also expect he would be very expensive so Sangare could probably be bought cheaper and I also think he would be an excellent dm for us. They are both among the best tacklers in Europe and would allow Pogba and Fernandes more licence to stay forward knowing they could rely on their dm to cover for them. I think we have good backups in Matic and McTominay then too.
Yeah Camavinga would be a top signing but isn't he more interested in going to Madrid or Barcelona from what I can gather

Dazzmondo

Yeah Camavinga would be a top signing but isn't he more interested in going to Madrid or Barcelona from what I can gather
Oh really? I don't know tbh, that's quite possible. I just really liked him whenever I watched Rennes this season and his stats look incredible.

Fosu-Mens

Since we seem to be fully dependent on our midfielders for progressing the ball into the final third(If this is by choice or due to our fullbacks being less than impressive on the ball, I don't know), we must get a CDM/CM that can pass better than the likes of Ndidi or Rice. If we go for a more static version like Koopmeiners or someone more mobile, like Zakaria would depend on what we do with the rest of the team. If we get a new LB that offers more going forward, or a mobile CB etc would impact what we actually need.

Due to PP somewhat erratic style, I would go for someone used to playing in a structured and defensive system. Someone like Partey, which coincidentally is the best (subjective) player potentially available, and the one with the most balanced set of attributes. If Tonali was available we should go for him, but not likely.

Okey

Anyone following Marc Roca this season? I see Espanyol are going to be relegated and I wonder if he remains as good as he was when I watched him a lot last season. Such a brilliant player and joy to watch. Should be cheap and easy pickings from a relegated side no?

croadyman

I think we are going to look at players in this area over next season and see which of those players is going to fit the system best for us rather than rushing in and buying someone in that position just for the sake of it.

I don't know much about the likes of Partey/Camavinga/Tonali/Zakaria and of course there is the small matter of who is still going to be on the market when we do eventually decide to address this position.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Matic will go for at least another season and then McTominay will likely be better prepared to take on that role. If we're looking outside the club then I've been impressed with Kalvin Phillips every time I've watched him. Great mentality by all accounts and will get better and better

jamesjimmybyrondean

We need one. If Ole thinks we are fine in that position then he should have played Mctominay or Fred there yesterday because everybody could see fatigue had caught up with Matic and he needed rest. The only reason I can think of why Ole didn't rest him was because he didn't trust Mctominay or Fred and to me that points out that we are definitely not sorted in this area

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Florentino Luis would be an interesting option - perhaps Benfica would take a deal with a lot of add ons and not a crazy price up front in the current climate
Would be nice if he has a season or two to take over from Matic rather than simply being chucked into the PL and expected to start bossing games - but he looks to be somebody who could provide cover for the defense but still decent on the ball

croadyman

We need one. If Ole thinks we are fine in that position then he should have played Mctominay or Fred there yesterday because everybody could see fatigue had caught up with Matic and he needed rest. The only reason I can think of why Ole didn't rest him was because he didn't trust Mctominay or Fred and to me that points out that we are definitely not sorted in this area
Yeah it is worrying that United seemingly see it as the third probably even fourth priority right now.

Irrational.

He's been a huge part of our form since "Project Restart" (vomits), and deserves a lot of credit for our attackers being to play with more freedom. He brings so much composure, balance and solidity to the midfield - and it was immediately apparent when he came on at Palace where we were floundering and getting pinned back. He has a calming influence and allows Pogba and Bruno to get creative. He's going to be 32 in a couple of weeks (ancient by Caf standards) and we can't expect him to be starting week in, week out.

McTominay is a great squad player in a similar mould, and is often thought of as the long-term successor to Matic but I don't think he's got the same quality, positioning and presence in midfield that Matic does. Fred is another player who was awesome pre-lockdown, but I feel he suits only a specific formation or tactic with his endless running and interceptions. He doesn't have the physical presence that Matic does.

Looking at the reserves - again, there is no one with a similar profile to Matic. Garner has huge potential, but can he play in a system with Bruno and Pogba? I'm not so sure.

Do we need to be targeting a CDM this summer or is there someone who can step up?

Canucantona20

We need a CDM, it depends on what type though. Depending on if Ole wants someone to fully protect the back 4 like a Kante, then we should go for Partey or Ndidi. If he wants a more playmaking type of CDM then we should go for Neves or a “Carrick” type. Garner could grow into this role but unfortunately he is too young.

Toad

I think McTominay will do the job there for the future. Although other options are Ndidi and Rice with the latter most likely having a higher ceiling.

sp_107

Matic will go for at least another season and then McTominay will likely be better prepared to take on that role. If we're looking outside the club then I've been impressed with Kalvin Phillips every time I've watched him. Great mentality by all accounts and will get better and better
We wasted 7 years giving chances to players not really fit in their positions or don’t have the quality, I think we must put an end to that.

we all can see how much difference Matić made when he came on so better we find a talented natural replacement than trying to fit in someone who has not quality to play that role

manutddjw

Seeing as how stupid Barcelona are with recruitment, I’d go after De Jong. With the way they have operated we might even be able to do a dodgy deal and send them Mata (he’s the age they like).