Potential Matic Replacements

The United

It's no coincidence we started dropping a lot of points when Pogba got injured. We drew and lost against teams from the bottom half of the table. We either shat ourselves at the back when pressed or we couldn't break down a parked bus. It's not necessarily a testament to how great Pogba is, but rather the niche he fills in our squad.

We don't need a small upgrade on our water carrier or another water carrier next to Fred or McTominay.
The only time one of our attacking players will receive the ball, is when we've all seen the pass 5 seconds in advance.

Our target should be:
  • Creative passer
  • Press resistant
  • Defensively sound

He's on 305k a week. De Gea is an 375k/w and Pogba 290k/w
Messi, Griezmann, Pique, Busquets Coutinho, Alba, Dembele earn more than him.

Maybe Griezmann can be sold on a free (or with a fee that subsidizing his wages). I don't see the others being able to be sold without taking a pay cut. All this makes them selling De Jong more likely, if the Spanish FA remains firm. It's also an easier sell to their fanbase than letting the academy lads go (who earn 30% of De Jong's salary)

It'll be between us, City and Bayern. PSG is already stacked in midfield and Juve could use him, but I don't see them upsetting their wage structure for him, like how they did with Ronnie.
Are you sure about it? The stats someone posted in another thread seems to be the opposite of what you say in general.

Mr Smith

Brozovic is 29 this november and a chain smoker. Thats alarm bells for me and a pass.
I've always wondered why we've never tried to get Brosovic; that clears it up.

I think the really tricky aspect of this is that things really feel dependent on whether Pogba stays or goes this summer. If he stays, all we need is a pure destroyer; Tifo Football did a video on sensible transfers for a DM recently; and I think any one of the players they mentioned would be suitable if Pogba stays:

However, that's not the case at all if Pogba leaves, because that's a lot of creativity from a deeper position disappearing. We'll need a player who can play effective, line-breaking passes from deep, and based on the above video, I don't think any of the above players are capable of this.

Bottom-line, I think the uncertainty regarding Pogba's future might be holding up securing a suitable DM.

Scholsey2004

I’ve seen a few people say this but couldn’t find a source for it, do you have one? His running stats are insane if it’s true.

Also Brozovic is only about 5 months older than Pogba as well. I don’t think his age/experience is a negative considering the potential price.
He was pictured smoking with his girlfriend once. I think thats the basis for it.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Are you sure about it? The stats someone posted in another thread seems to be the opposite of what you say in general.
He got injured in the first half against Everton. Later Pogba was subbed on during the 2nd leg of Milan and got MvP. We dropped 10 points against opponents we shouldn't have (this was Lampard's Chelsea) during Pogba's absence from the league:

232/6/21HEverton (6.)3:339'
242/14/21AWest Brom (19.)1:1Hamstring Injury
252/21/21HNewcastle (17.)3:1Hamstring Injury
262/28/21AChelsea (5.)0:0Hamstring Injury
293/3/21ACrystal Palace (12.)0:0Hamstring Injury
273/7/21AMan City (1.)0:2Hamstring Injury
283/14/21HWest Ham (4.)1:0Hamstring Injury

Week 22 table:

PositionClubPlGDPts
1Man City21+2647
2Man Utd22+1944
3Leicester22+1442
4Liverpool22+1840

Week 28 table:

PositionClubPlGDPts
1Man City30+4371
2Man Utd29+2457
3Leicester29+2156
4Chelsea29+1951

Notice how we won West Ham and City, but drew shit teams. Pogba can break down a parked bus, Fred/McTominay can't. In big games where he likely would have played on the wing, his absence wasn't felt as much.

Last edited:

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He got injured in the first half against Everton. Later Pogba was subbed on during the 2nd leg of Milan and got MvP. We dropped 10 points against opponents we shouldn't have (this was Lampard's Chelsea) during Pogba's absence from the league:

232/6/21HEverton (6.)3:339'
242/14/21AWest Brom (19.)1:1Hamstring Injury
252/21/21HNewcastle (17.)3:1Hamstring Injury
262/28/21AChelsea (5.)0:0Hamstring Injury
293/3/21ACrystal Palace (12.)0:0Hamstring Injury
273/7/21AMan City (1.)0:2Hamstring Injury
283/14/21HWest Ham (4.)1:0Hamstring Injury

Week 22 table:

PositionClubPlGDPts
1Man City21+2647
2Man Utd22+1944
3Leicester22+1442
4Liverpool22+1840

Week 28 table:

PositionClubPlGDPts
1Man City30+4371
2Man Utd29+2457
3Leicester29+2156
4Chelsea29+1951

Notice how we won West Ham and City, but drew shit teams. Pogba can break down a parked bus, Fred/McTominay can't. In big games where he likely would have played on the wing, his absence wasn't felt as much.
But your data don't show that. It only indicates we've lost some points when Pogba got injured. But just looking a few games back, we also lost against Sheffield, and drawn against Arsenal - Pogba started both games.
You've picked our bad form period to prove your point, fair enough. But wouldn't you say looking at the whole season in general isn't a better approach?

I'm not disputing Pogba creativity being a few levels above McFred (he is an attacking midfielder after all), but I don't understand how would you (or the fanbase in general) blame 2 man midfield for lack attacking threat? Do Chelsea fans blame Kante and Jorginho for lack of goals?
Seriously, we play 2/3 strikers AND Bruno, plus two fullbacks staying high, and we blame midfield for lack of creativity? I can't wrap my head around it.

Our record against the non-top-six clubs is rather very good since Bruno joined by the way, I think we're on par with City (did a calculation a while back). Last season we struggled against top 6 and Pogba in midfield isn't really making us stronger against those. Pogba the winger is another story, but with Sancho joining it's irrelevant point.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
But your data don't show that. It only indicates we've lost some points when Pogba got injured. But just looking a few games back, we also lost against Sheffield, and drawn against Arsenal - Pogba started both games.

We didn't lose the game against Sheffield because we couldn't break down a parked bus. We were very unlucky with the refereeing. Arsenal don't park the bus. My point isn't that we're invincible with Pogba, my point is he fills a niche that needs to be replaced.

You've picked our bad form period to prove your point, fair enough. But wouldn't you say looking at the whole season in general isn't a better approach?

No I didn't pick our bad form period. I picked the period where Pogba was injured and showed how we drew games we shouldn't have.

With Pogba on the pitch in central midfield, we lost against Palace, Spurs, Arse, Sheffield, Liverpool and drew vs Chelsea.

Of those only Palace and Sheffield do the bus park with hit and run on set pieces tactics. 2 games in a season, that were a bit of anomalies anyway.

Out of the games he was injured for, he started in CM against Everton, and would certainly have played there against West Brom, Newcastle and Palace.
4 games during his 7 game absence.

I'm not disputing Pogba creativity being a few levels above McFred (he is an attacking midfielder after all), but I don't understand how would you (or the fanbase in general) blame 2 man midfield for lack attacking threat? Do Chelsea fans blame Kante and Jorginho for lack of goals?

Players like Kante and Wijnaldum are far more press resistant than Fred and McTominay. And a lot of top teams do have great passers in midfield. De Jong, Melo, Barella, etc. The teams that dominate their league sometimes even have them at the back! Blind for Ajax and Alaba for Bayern for example. They often only play at the back vs weak domestic teams. It's the same type of thinking that sees Pogba in CM vs weaker teams for us.

Seriously, we play 2/3 strikers AND Bruno, plus two fullbacks staying high, and we blame midfield for lack of creativity? I can't wrap my head around it.

Football isn't just attackers do attacking, defenders do defending. At least not for a team that wants to win, win, win. Our forwards need to be able to get a ball they can work with. This means either difficult passes or passes at moments that can surprise the opposition. It's very easy to defend a winger when the entire team knows 5 seconds in advance that he will receive the ball and how he will receive it. It also means our midfielders can't hide and need to be able to receive a ball when someone is on of top them. Milan away had us barely making it out of our own half for the first 45min. Sancho in for James doesn't make the difference there. Pogba (or a similar type of player) for Fred/McTominay often can.

Our record against the non-top-six clubs is rather very good since Bruno joined by the way, I think we're on par with City (did a calculation a while back). Last season we struggled against top 6 and Pogba in midfield isn't really making us stronger against those. Pogba the winger is another story, but with Sancho joining it's irrelevant point.

Last season had many other differences. I don't see the logic in pinning the difference in performances across seasons on one player. I do however see the logic in looking at a team with and without a certain player on the pitch to gauge his impact. We dropped 10 points within 7 games against some awful sides. The title was out of sight then and there.

Last edited:

Dante

Average bang
It's no coincidence we started dropping a lot of points when Pogba got injured. We drew and lost against teams from the bottom half of the table. We either shat ourselves at the back when pressed or we couldn't break down a parked bus. It's not necessarily a testament to how great Pogba is, but rather the niche he fills in our squad.
It absolutely was a coincidence.

In the 5 matches he played before his injury, United won 1 drew 3 and lost 1.

In fact, we didn't lose a single 'proper' game when Pogba was unused (depending on how you judge the 11 May Leicester match where we played a bunch of kids because the FA only gave us 48 hours rest).

The differentiator for United in the title race wasn't the absence of Pogba. It was the fact that City won 20 and drew 4 out of their final 24 games. I don't even think many Fergie teams would have kept up with that.

Guardiola simply pulled away from us. United's momentum never actually changed.

The United

In fact, we didn't lose a single 'proper' game when Pogba was unused (depending on how you judge the 11 May Leicester match where we played a bunch of kids because the FA only gave us 48 hours rest).

The differentiator for United in the title race wasn't the absence of Pogba. It was the fact that City won 20 and drew 4 out of their final 24 games. I don't even think many Fergie teams would have kept up with that.

United have to improve of course but people forget that city stats.

VanDeBank

Ma’am

Ok, City went on a great run, but the gap widened right then and there because we drew 5 games and lost 10 points.

My point isnt that Pogba is some irreplaceable genius. My point is he's been very valuable in a specific type of game.

We drew 3 games against weak teams during Pogba's 7 game absence.

The only other times we lost points against weak teams were Palace and Sheffield. That's 2 quite unique games against weak teams over the course of the entire season where Pogba was available.

He's clearly a creative passer with good technique that has helped us unlock some "defend with 11 men" type teams. We dont have anyone similar in the squad, hence the dropped points in said games.

Him leaving is a chance for us to improve on him with a good passer that's a bit more sound defensively (De Jong, for example). Thats where most of the Pogba criticism is aimed at: his defending and his workrate. Getting a small upgrade on Fred won't improve us as much as getting a deep lying playmaker that can actually defend.

Tallis

What about McTominay+DVB+Bruno ?
Would like to see that too. I think McT can develop into a Rice type player - his tackle success rate is one of the highest in the league. DVB becomes the 8 - recycles possession and occasionally runs into the box to overload. Bruno does his thing but becomes slightly more risk averse. Could be a 3 that doesn’t give away possession easily and can control games better. DVB runs into the box and Bruno through balls help break Low blocks.

sp_107

I dont think what we seen from DVB last year was not true DVB, he got 2 more gears in his game and i luve to see it .

Neves --DVB--Bruno combo might work too.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Would like to see that too. I think McT can develop into a Rice type player - his tackle success rate is one of the highest in the league. DVB becomes the 8 - recycles possession and occasionally runs into the box to overload. Bruno does his thing but becomes slightly more risk averse. Could be a 3 that doesn’t give away possession easily and can control games better. DVB runs into the box and Bruno through balls help break Low blocks.

McTominay's interesting in that he's a midfielder that's great at both ends of the pitch, but pretty underwhelming in midfield.

Useful squad player as is, but I also think his best role long term is as destroyer DM.

I also see us playing Donny with Bruno as 8s vs a parked bus and then rotating new DM/McFred behind Bruno in tougher games, with Donny FROM THE BENCH.

Also if the new DM is a creative type, Donny isnt going to feel so out of place with Fred + new DM behind him when Bruno's out.

Bruno wants the ball, Donny doesn't until he's around the box.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We don't need a Matic type midfielder IMO if Solskjaer wants to finally implement the style he has frequently spoke of implementing. Being technically good has to be a prerequisite IMO, but the said player also has to be agile to cover ground quickly, which really helps in implementing a high tempo game plan. Matic even in his peak played a
in a Mourinho team that played a reactive brand of football. We want someone with craft and guile along with dynamism to come in and play in midfield for us who will help us play the way Ole wants.

Camavinga and Caqueret are two midfielders who tick the boxes, but Caqueret might be deemed to be too small by some in England.

But if we end up signing no one else, then I hope Ole is brave and gives Hannibal Mejbri significant minutes, because Ole seems to be favouring McFred and Matic to play the big games and that's just not good enough IMO and I'd rather see us be positive than just carry on playing 'runners' in midfield.

croadyman

Damn it can't get over blowing our entire midfield budget on Donny last summer and not a DM which was actually needed,

E-mal

Why do we need a replacement for someone who doesnt exist ? We might as well play with 10 men.

Green_Red

We need someone, Matic is finished at this level. At this stage I think we will end up getting Rice in and Lingard going the other way.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
We've got 3 midfielders expected to prioritise defensive end, or at least neutral(central) and not one of them is good enough, and further to that, the reality is it's 2 midfielders plus Matic, which puts far too much load on them and puts us a man down if/when Matic plays.

Just as much as the two stellar signings we've made should be applauded, so too should the negligence towards the midfield be criticised.

If we are serious about mounting a title challenge this season, midfield has to be addressed. As is, it will cost us time and time again, to the surprise of absolutely no one.

We need an rvn

We don't need a Matic type midfielder IMO if Solskjaer wants to finally implement the style he has frequently spoke of implementing. Being technically good has to be a prerequisite IMO, but the said player also has to be agile to cover ground quickly, which really helps in implementing a high tempo game plan. Matic even in his peak played a
in a Mourinho team that played a reactive brand of football. We want someone with craft and guile along with dynamism to come in and play in midfield for us who will help us play the way Ole wants.

Camavinga and Caqueret are two midfielders who tick the boxes, but Caqueret might be deemed to be too small by some in England.

But if we end up signing no one else, then I hope Ole is brave and gives Hannibal Mejbri significant minutes, because Ole seems to be favouring McFred and Matic to play the big games and that's just not good enough IMO and I'd rather see us be positive than just carry on playing 'runners' in midfield.
Don't think we can go on height really as the guy is 6 cm taller than Kante, who at 1.68m (5ft 6) would walk into our midfield.

I just don't want to see Matic in a Utd shirt and was flabbergast when we gave him that new contract....just like Jones! Those two players epitomise some our issues.

Kostov

I agree, but we also need to get it right with team selections, and substitutes.
Not sure who Ole could have selected in place of Fred and Matic yesterday and made the difference. McT was injured and maybe VDB, I would have certainly started Donny instead of Matic, but both of Fred and Matic have no business starting for United. We need a quality CDM and then think about a partner for him if Pogba leaves or can't play besides him.

Bestietom

Not sure who Ole could have selected in place of Fred and Matic yesterday and made the difference. McT was injured and maybe VDB, I would have certainly started Donny instead of Matic, but both of Fred and Matic have no business starting for United. We need a quality CDM and then think about a partner for him if Pogba leaves or can't play besides him.
Yes, agree.1 Week left in transfer season and we could be left in a hole, if PSG or Real decide to come in for Pogba

Zoo

As pointed out we only have 2 competent central midfielders particularly if the plan is give Pogba a free role. Matic is finished, the whole team falls back with him and whoever partners him in midfield struggles.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
If it's not clear enough for the club to see now I don't know when it will be. It's either act now and get someone in or have this problem for another season.

DevTheRed

Amazing that this thread was created nearly 3 years ago and he’s still starting games. Should’ve been replaced years ago and certainly shouldn’t be starting at all let alone against energetic teams like Southampton away from home.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Hannibal is not ready to be chucked in as much as you suggest.

golden_blunder

Staff
I don't know if he's ready and neither do you. But I do know the current shite playing in our midfield aren't the answer.
And a lad who’s barely 18 is? I can tell you with certainty he’s not ready for PL first team football.

he will get battered by our own fans if he puts one foot wrong. It’s about time our fans allowed our young players to develop naturally and let the process take its course.

golden_blunder

Staff
I get that you’re frustrated but let’s be realistic. Either we sign someone in the last week or we are stuck with the same old for this season with sporadic appearances for some kids

Adnan

Talent Spotter
And a lad who’s barely 18 is? I can tell you with certainty he’s not ready for PL first team football.

he will get battered by our own fans if he puts one foot wrong. It’s about time our fans allowed our young players to develop naturally and let the process take its course.
I never said he's definitely ready, but he is a player who could be a option as far as profile goes because he has shown the craft and guile coming through the ranks and hasn't looked out of place playing at International level against some physically very imposing players when he featured against Algeria and Congo.

The likes of McTominay and Fred in tandem will never be good enough and if you think adding the limited Declan Rice will change that, then you're very much mistaken.

golden_blunder

Staff
I never said he's definitely ready, but he is a player who could be a option as far as profile goes because he has shown the craft and guile coming through the ranks and hasn't looked out of place playing at International level against some physically very imposing players when he featured against Algeria and Congo.

The likes of McTominay and Fred in tandem will never be good enough and if you think adding the limited Declan Rice will change that, then you're very much mistaken.
I didn’t mention rice. I’m actually swaying to the idea of neves who can pass, I’m just wary about his mobility

as regards international opponents, no offence to any country but let’s just say it’s not the same as playing PL football

bollytrogg

Don't think we can go on height really as the guy is 6 cm taller than Kante, who at 1.68m (5ft 6) would walk into our midfield.

I just don't want to see Matic in a Utd shirt and was flabbergast when we gave him that new contract....just like Jones! Those two players epitomise some our issues.
I wonder if footballers such as Matic and Jones are counted as assets to the club therefore giving these players new contracts ensures the value of these players to the club eg Matic £40 million and Jones £18 million when purchased .It is certainly the only reason I can think of.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We need a Scholes or Modric type and he doesn't have to be the most defensive midfielder out of the two. When we were dominant under Fergie, opposition teams feared Scholes more than any other player we had in midfield. And it's that profile of player who we need in midfield.