Potential Matic Replacements

Yesterday was quite comfortably his worse game for us, I think he's been falling off a cliff since mid last season. His legs look completely gone and he's very slow and cumbersome on the ball. I think we need to look at replacing him in the summer, any thoughts on who we should go for? ❤

Last edited:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
The lad at Lyon? Different style of midfielder though

OzKangarooney

If we weren't in such bad shape we could let him have an extended recovery from that injury, would still rather see Pereira take his position against weaker opposition anyway mind you

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I haven’t seen too much of Dendonker lately, however, he’s one that interested me in this sort of role in the past. He’s like a young Matic.

NinjaFletch

I'd like to see a Pogba, Matic, Fred midfield for a bit before completely writing him off. I think he's still got enough about him, just needs some dynamism around him rather than a couple of trees.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Yesterday was quite comfortably his worse game for us, I think he's been falling off a cliff since mid last season. His legs look completely gone and he's very slow and cumbersome on the ball. I think we need to look at replacing him in the summer, any thoughts on who we should go for? ❤
I wouldn't write him off yet.

Major

Supports
chelsea
We got the perfect guy on vacation in Milan. Another 40m should do the trick.

Skills

Snitch
Let's sign another 29 year old on the downward slope for 40m. Great business.

Canagel

We need someone calm on the ball to add something to our attack like Jorginho is doing for Chelsea. For now I'd bring back Andreas and let him and Herrera fight it out and then in the summer bring someone else if we need to. I don't know if Matic is finished yet because he got rushed back but he shouldn't play as DM anymore.

Jacko21

Even by his standards, I couldn’t quite believe how much time he wanted on the ball yesterday.

At one point, he had thousands of fans screaming ‘man on’ for a good 3/4 seconds and he still had his pocket picked.

It comes to something when the protector needs protecting.

Trizy

I'd let him try regain form before writing him off. The whole squad isn't exactly lighting the world on fire at the moment.

He has indeed been poor though but lets not forget he was our best player last season for large parts of it.

However, for a future replacement: Neves. Boss of a player.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Players with peak Matić's characteristics are quite rare — titanic proportions, decent ability on the ball, good reading of the game, a bit of attacking mobility from deep — and the best replacement joined Atlético in the summer (Rodri). Though we didn't really get peak Matić for an extended period of time, so there's that. You have to consider any incumbent manager's general midfield plan as well — if say Zidane joins United and puts a possession oriented 8 ahead of the 6, you'll be better off targeting a defensive midfielder who can operate as a water carrier and a terrier (think Casemiro and how important he was in Madrid'd structure), as opposed to Rúben Neves (who's more of a holder and playmaker). Someone who is combative and committed, but also tactically intelligent and can routinely break up opposition moves in front of the defense, like maybe Ascacíbar (diminutive, but kinda comparable to Mascherano in terms of characteristics)...

Alabaster Codify7

We replaced Carrick with a bloke who would need upgrading within 2yrs. That is indicative of how short-term our planning is at United, our transfer policy is so poorly thought out. Everyone, jose included, knew Matic's legs were going and he wasn't going to be a long-term investment. £40m we spent on a man who performed well for half a season and now looks completely spent.

Ekeke

Normally I could see us going for Ndidi.

But for the fact that Mourinho loves tall players in midfield and he isnt one. Neves is even smaller.

They'd probably do well together if we're going to play 2 DMs like Mourinho has picked at times, but I get the feeling he'd rather play Matic and McTominay.

Internationally though Sangare is doing well for Toulouse, a 20 year old who is 6'2. I havent seen him play so cant really comment on that.

Another player to keep an eye on especially with all the quality players coming out of France over the past several years.

SirAF

Ageist
I think he still got plenty to offer, but United should definitely try to get Neves before anyone else does!

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
We should be looking to give Andreas Pereira the game time to grow into that position. Plays in an entirely different manner to Matic, but he has the skillset to be one of the best deep-lying playmakers of his age bracket.

Fosu-Mens

When/if Zidane comes, he will make Matic do the Casimiro work. Less offensive responsibility and let Matic focus on what he is good at.
Will play Pereira similar to how Kroos plays and Pogba will play in a role similar to Modric.

Charles Miller

The Real Madrid fans here can correct me if i'm wrong, but i suspect that Casemiro doesn't fit in the playing style of their new coach. I think we should try to sign him. He could bring some balance to the midfielder and free Pogba.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Totally agree, really hurting us at the moment. Everything that starts through him ends abruptly, because he's taking so long with the ball that either the channels are blocked or he has it pinched off him. Shockingly, if we have to have a tree protecting the back 4, I'd rather it was Fellaini.

We're conceding two a match with him anyway, and he offers absolutely nothing going forwards.

Petr1

The emotional state of some people on this forum is amazing...Matic finished :lol:All in for an extra midfielder but Matic stays

L1nk

Should never have been bought, he's almost like a Schweinsteiger Mk.II for me. As for who to get, Neves, De Jong or Weigl.

Joseunited

The emotional state of some people on this forum is amazing...Matic finished :lol:All in for an extra midfielder but Matic stays
He's been below par this season,most games have passed him by.He is not controlling the midfield at all.I don't think FootyGirl88 is being emotional at all.

soapythecat

I think yesterday just highlighted that it's not just Matic that is currently suffering under JM. We have many players, who all season thus far have taken too long on the ball or looked clueless with it. They are all confused with the tactics, instruction or something - surely that much is clear?
The team looks just as useless as JM's last Chelsea side before he was given the boot. We can't judge any player on a potential decline until JM is replaced or a miraculous turn around occurs and players start playing with confidence and a bit more freedom than that brings with it. Just cast your mind back to how bad Eden Hazard was in his Chelsea side during that run it to him getting sacked - couldn't pass a ball 5 yards.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
He really is a problem it’s very frustrating watching him take forever to pick a pass especially when he’s so deep. He’s lost possession too many times in dangerous areas this season due to that, we definitely need somebody more dynamic and quick thinking in that position.

Neves and Ndidi have always impressed me when I’ve watched them and both would be a huge improvement over a declining Matic.

Ndidi/Fred/Pogba
Neves/Fred/Pogba

Is a midfield I’d love to see at united.

Andersons Dietician

Really depends on who the manager will be when Jose gets sacked. I’d prefer someone like a Neves but Acacsibar is someone I’ve noticed who I quite like, it really comes down to how we will play and what the coach prefers. One would maybe provide more guile offensively whilst giving semi decent protection, the other less guillemoffensivly but will give far more protection and better ability to win the ball back, which then could even be more effective for us in an attacking sense.

At the moment I’d rather have Carrick out there than Matic nd I’d wager he’d probably do a better job.

lex talionis

Whether Matic is finished or not I can't say, but he has been woeful this season. Go with Pereira or Herrera, with Fellaini as another option.

As far as a buy is concerned, that's a discussion for next summer.

Kostov

One of the reasons I was against buying Matic was this, we’d have to replace him next summer. We should splash the cash and bring Neves this time. Not exactly the same MF but he is the best option for me.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Off topic, but so weird to think Herrera is only a year younger than Matic. One seems like they're entering the twilight years of their career, the other arguably has his best still to come.