Potential Matic Replacements

ghagua

Easy to replace Matic, just simply place a lump of wood on the pitch. But in order to improve the team, more thoughts need to be given. McTominay deserves a place on the team as he has shown. If we were to replace Matic with a defensive midfielder, or even another box to box player like McTominay, then we will be limiting our team. We need to get a much more creative midfielder and let McTominay be the defensive shield with his energy and fight. If we do choose to get a defensive midfielder, then you cannot go wrong with Ndidi. A player who is used to the league and has shown that he can be more than a useful player.

Ander herrera the warrior

I think Phillips from Leeds seems to be a attainable option. Plus he could take his time to settle in, since we have Fred and Mctominay playing well in the midfield 2.

theklr

Isnt that 20-year old from Barca we’re supposedly looking at meant as an Matic replacement? Jean-Clair Todibo? Seems he can play DM

jamesjimmybyrondean

I've said it before that there aren't many world class players available that play the DM position. The only proven players that I can see a team considering buying as DM are Partey Neves and Ndidi. Other world class DMs like Fabinho, Casemiro etc won't be available.

We're clearly not targeting any of the players above (don't know why were not in for Partey) so what does that leave us with? The next line of DMs available are more of potential or gems than world class eg Berge, Roca, Phillips, Sangare, Guimarães, Zakaria etc.

When you look at these players, most of them play for clubs that would not mind selling them. Most of them would be cheap. But there's also the case of these players being risk signings because most of them have not played for top clubs or top leagues and are still growing

So In my mind there's no excuse not to sign a DM in January because

1) If it's a proven DM that we're waiting for then there are only 3 that could be available in the market - Ndidi, Neves and Partey. Both Ndidi and Neves would be very expensive, Partey has a release clause but we don't seem to target any of the three. It's highly unlikely that any of these players would be sold in January.

2) Because of the rarity in world class DMs available then that leaves us with players like Berge, Guimarães etc. The good thing about these players is that they can be sold in January and are likely to be cheap. The bad thing is they are risky. These are the type of DMs we should be in for in January

Last edited:
Reactions: Sultan

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Isnt that 20-year old from Barca we’re supposedly looking at meant as an Matic replacement? Jean-Clair Todibo? Seems he can play DM
He's a CB that could do a job in midfield but shouldn't be signed as a DM. He has immense potential as a CB though and if he's available for the reported €20m then we must pounce.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I've said it before that there aren't many world class players available that play the DM position. The only world class players that I can see a team considering buying as DM are Partey Neves and Ndidi. Other world class DMs like Fabinho, Casemiro etc won't be available.

We're clearly not targeting any of the players above (don't know why were not in for Partey) so what does that leave us with? The next line of DMs available are more of potential or gems than world class eg Berge, Roca, Phillips, Sangare, Guimarães, Zakaria etc.

When you look at these players, most of them play for clubs that would not mind selling them. Most of them would be cheap. But there's also the case of these players being risk signings because most of them have not played for top clubs or top leagues and are still growing

So In my mind there's no excuse not to sign a DM in January because

1) If it's a world class DM that we're waiting for then there are only 3 that could be available in the market - Ndidi, Neves and Partey. Both Ndidi and Neves would be very expensive, Partey has a release clause but we don't seem to target any of the three. It's highly unlikely that any of these players would be sold in January.

2) Because of the rarity in world class DMs available then that leaves us with players like Berge, Guimarães etc. The good thing about these players is that they can be sold in January and are likely to be cheap. The bad thing is they are risky. These are the type of DMs we should be in for in January
Neves isn't close to being world class and Ndidi is too limited for my liking to play next to Scott McTominay.

LuckyScout78

If you want exactly a Matic type of player. Then lucky for you now. It exist a really good left foot upcoming, hungry and with lot of energy. In the spanish youngster in Fabian Ruiz. Same height. Younger, can run more and better with the ball.

But it rumor that R Madrid and Barca want him and he might want to goes back to Spain.

But he is playing for Napoli. Not RM, Barca or Juventus.

So you ask for a younger version of Matic. His name is Fabian. ;)

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If you want exactly a Matic type of player. Then lucky for you now. It exist a really good left foot upcoming, hungry and with lot of energy. In the spanish youngster in Fabian Ruiz. Same height. Younger, can run more and better with the ball.

But it rumor that R Madrid and Barca want him and he might want to goes back to Spain.

But he is playing for Napoli. Not RM, Barca or Juventus.

So you ask for a younger version of Matic. His name is Fabian. ;)
Ruiz is a #8 and would be a upgrade on Herrera.

Manutd1990

Ruben Neves,
Leandro Paredes,
Denis Zakaria,

It will be declan rice or sean longstaff though.

Sea-Cow

He's a CB that could do a job in midfield but shouldn't be signed as a DM. He has immense potential as a CB though and if he's available for the reported €20m then we must pounce.
If the rumors are true, is it worrisome that Barca are willing to get rid? Is it injuries, or lack of quality? I'm just curious.

Sea-Cow

Neves isn't close to being world class and Ndidi is too limited for my liking to play next to Scott McTominay.
I agree with you 100% on the Neves opinion, and I am glad to see that I am not alone there. Every time I see Wolves its Moutinho who stands out as their best and most important player. Neves might pop up with a banger every now and then, but Moutinho covers every blade etc etc and I think he makes his teammates look good.

I disagree with you on Ndidi and think he would be a great option for us. But I don't see Leicester selling him to us for nothing less than a bomb, and why would they? Do they have a backup who can step in right away and replace him, like they did with Lord Farquaad? Maybe we should sign the backup instead?

I think the backup, actually, is that guy with the fro and I would pass on him. He seems to love a nasty, ankle snapping tackle.

Edit -- I couldn't think of the name Hamza Choudhury. But I have watched about ten minutes of him and have seen two horror tackles in that time. Scary.

And Lord Farquaad = Soyuncu.... obviously

Last edited:
Reactions: Sultan

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If the rumors are true, is it worrisome that Barca are willing to get rid? Is it injuries, or lack of quality? I'm just curious.
Barca signed Todibo by making promises of game time if some reports are to be believed and have failed to give him enough games. Todibo for that reason is open to a move due to being concerned about his development as a player.

Sea-Cow

Barca signed Todibo by making promises of game time if some reports are to be believed and have failed to give him enough games. Todibo for that reason is open to a move due to being concerned about his development as a player.
Ahh ok then that is better than injury problems or just being shit. Thanks

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
We can afford to buy two of them, and de-risk. If we get each one for £40M, it will still only be as much as we paid for a single CB (Maguire) and we can easily pay their salaries by getting rid of deadwood, such as Matic and Dalot

NoPace

If it's true Atletico want Matic, something like a 6 month loan for Thomas Lemar and an option to buy for 30 or 35M would be a decent idea. He could play as a 10 or winger for us and a player with mobility and some skill in midfield would help. I have no idea why Atletico would want Matic so bad with Llorente, Saul, Party, Koke and Herrera all better CMs, seems like enough.

Mark Pawelek

Unless that player is playing in South America where the season ends in December.
Atletico Madrid 'agree £25m deal' to sign highly-regarded Brazilian midfielder Bruno Guimaraes from Athletico Paranaense

Toni Roncoroni

I hope it will be Denis Zakaria. He improved a lot and is a great DM. Really quick, long legged and a fighter. Would love to see him here. But as Gladbach are still in the mix in the Bundesliga for the top spot I guess it won't be before the summer. But I am afraid, that we are going for someone like Longstaff for crazy money.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
Propably been mentioned before, but in addition to Ndiddi and the others, Norwegian national Sander Berge at Genk would cost approx 25 mill and can propably be sold for much more. He is young, big, very fast and he is a DM, a leader with great passing, good technique/dribbles and great at recovering the ball. He is currently captain at Genk at an age of 21 so the mentality is good.

here is a vid on youtube, disregard the stupid music :)

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I hope it will be Denis Zakaria. He improved a lot and is a great DM. Really quick, long legged and a fighter. Would love to see him here. But as Gladbach are still in the mix in the Bundesliga for the top spot I guess it won't be before the summer. But I am afraid, that we are going for someone like Longstaff for crazy money.
Zakaria does look potentially very good but I think someone like Boubakary Soumare would be attainable in January and has the potential to play at a good level in a pivot.

ArjenIsM3

From what I've seen of Soumare I don't think he will cut it in the PL. His passing isn't great and he needs a lot of time on the ball. Physically he's a beast though. Great tackling ability too.

criticalanalysis

Propably been mentioned before, but in addition to Ndiddi and the others, Norwegian national Sander Berge at Genk would cost approx 25 mill and can propably be sold for much more. He is young, big, very fast and he is a DM, a leader with great passing, good technique/dribbles and great at recovering the ball. He is currently captain at Genk at an age of 21 so the mentality is good.

here is a vid on youtube, disregard the stupid music :)

Feck he's massive. I swear I've seen these highlights before though..

Yup I saw these named under Frenkie De Jong's name last year..

Only seen two minutes but similar change of pace, opening of the body and positions taken..

sherrinford

I think last night showed this post up a little and also showed many fans how important a true DM next to Fred can be.

Hopefully we replace Matic adequately, would improve us immensely.
I think Fred has been at his best in the holding role, and that’s where I see him playing if he is to continue as a first choice pick here.

sherrinford

Not quite sure what point you are making here? What kind of partner would you team Fred up with?
A no.8, regardless of whether it’s a box to box player or someone who looks to get their foot on the ball a bit. Would probably prefer the later. Not a true DM, or any kind of natural holding player.

Mark Pawelek

i'd take Pröpper as a cheap replacement this winter and would spend some real money in the summer.
A value defensive midfielder, mid-career (age: 26) from a mid-table Dutch club whose contract ends next summer; so he should be very cheap in January. Probably less than £10m. But not someone we'd otherwise sign. I can't see this. United need to look at someone younger, and technically better. Matheus Henrique?

Josep Dowling

I think Phillips from Leeds seems to be a attainable option. Plus he could take his time to settle in, since we have Fred and Mctominay playing well in the midfield 2.
So many people keep mentioning Kalvin Phillips.

He was born in Leeds, him and his family are Leeds United fans.

He’s 24 and still never played at the highest level.

I really don’t understand why so many people want to sign him.

Mark Pawelek

What's the story with him? Is he available?
Only 8 Ligue 1 starts this season but 3 of them in December. There was talk about United enquiring after him about a month ago.

He's not wanted by PSG and sources in France are saying PSG want to sell him and he wouldn't be expensive at all.
But they started him 3 times in December. On the 7th, 15th, and 21st. They paid £36m 1 year ago from Zenit.

Leandro Paredes pass stats are very good. Last 3 matchs (all PSG wins):

Date ----- Opposition --------- Result -- Assist -- Key Pass -- Passes -- success % -- long ball -- rating
21 Dec --- Amiens (H) ---------- 4 - 1 ------ 0 -------- 1 -------- 90 ---- 94.4 -------- 7 ------- 7.09
15 Dec --- Saint-Etienne (A) --- 0 - 4 ------ 1 -------- 2 ------- 107 ---- 93.5 -------- 7 ------- 8.35
07 Dec --- Montpellier (A) ----- 1 - 3 ------ 0 -------- 0 -------- 86 ---- 89.5 -------- 6 ------- 6.28

Last edited: