Potential Matic Replacements

zenith

The thread has been derailed big time. I was wondering where I'll find the mention of a DM for the past couple of pages, but not to be.

This should be our first priority in January, as if Mctominay gets injured, we have to depend on matic and despite the odd good game, this is not a sustainable solution

beingshe7don

The thread has been derailed big time. I was wondering where I'll find the mention of a DM for the past couple of pages, but not to be.

This should be our first priority in January, as if Mctominay gets injured, we have to depend on matic and despite the odd good game, this is not a sustainable solution
Soumare looks like a terrific player and with his contract coming to an end, he would give us the speed and quick transition from break up in play to our attacking forwards. We need to get this kid in immediately before he kids picked up by the other teams. At this point in time, all United have is acting fast as there are a lot of clubs that can compete with us.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Soumare looks like a terrific player and with his contract coming to an end, he would give us the speed and quick transition from break up in play to our attacking forwards. We need to get this kid in immediately before he kids picked up by the other teams. At this point in time, all United have is acting fast as there are a lot of clubs that can compete with us.
He really does look great, and Lille experience counts for much more than what players from Austria or Belgium have. According to the reports from France, he is already a hot commodity, Spurs actively pursuing him and apparently "5-6" more clubs interested…

Per SBNation (https://cartilagefreecaptain.sbnati...ur-transfer-news-boubakary-soumare-losc-lille):

And, some three weeks after Jeunes Footeaux claimed that Spurs were keen, Campos has now confirmed Mourinho’s interest in France’s latest superstar-in-waiting.

“Soumaré? It is true that there are many interested (clubs). From Spain, from Italy… the interest of José Mourinho? I know he likes him very much, yes,” said Campos, who himself was linked with a move to Tottenham recently.

“There are five, six clubs that are interested in him.”

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
I know the last African player we got from Villarreal hasn't worked out but what about this guy:

Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa

24 year old, Cameroonian DM. Owned by Fulham, on loan at Villarreal who have an option to buy I think.

Can do all the stuff Ndidi is good at like ball winning, tackling, heading but Anguissa is a better passer & a wayyy better dribbler. I doubt he'll be super expensive.

Macedonian Red

Our squad is lack of expirienced players so this is good move. He still has a 20-25 high level games in his legs.

Reactions: 711

OleGunnar20

So much for this thread...
Maybe another year or two out of him as a senior player around a young squad? Might be worth it I suppose.

Doesn't change the need for a replacement on the pitch in the summer mind you.

DarkRed

Yeah, he's improved again recently, looks like he might be ok so long as he doesn't have to play too often.
Acording to him, the problem with his movement was an injury that he was carrying ( would guess from the world cup ). The half season that he did not play was as a result of him decided that he must fully heal before playing again. If that was really the case then maybe we can use him more then it was looking like.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Hes been impressive since the new year - looks like he wants to fight for the shirt so its good news if we are going to keep him

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
He has to be managed like Ferguson managed Carrick in his 30s. No more than a game a week and bring him into the team slowly each season.

Morpheus 7

Hes been impressive since the new year - looks like he wants to fight for the shirt so its good news if we are going to keep him
Is it really, Matic has not got the speed or technical ability to help us progress. He wouldn't get in to the top 8 midfield never mind top four. United give extensions to the wrong players constantly. It's like a phobia of entering the transfer market to replace properly. If we want to see expansive football, we need more ambition than Matic.

Alabaster Codify7

I don't mind him staying as a squad option but let's be honest here, the Matic replacement is going to be Matic, isn't it?

If we sign Fernandes, our main summer priority should have been signing a striker and using the Pogba money to sign 2 x midfielders - one being a first-team CDM to replace Matic and rotate with McTominay.

GwilDor

Like others have said, i don't mind him staying for another year to keep some experience in the squad. But he needs to be managed like Mata. Play in games where we should dominate, and not to be overused.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Is it really, Matic has not got the speed or technical ability to help us progress. He wouldn't get in to the top 8 midfield never mind top four. United give extensions to the wrong players constantly. It's like a phobia of entering the transfer market to replace properly. If we want to see expansive football, we need more ambition than Matic.
Rather than being a phobia as you call it I believe its more about planning what we are going to be doing with the squad in future windows. Matic isn't going to be particularly valuable in the market because of his age so replacing him will cost us, and in turn we lose an experienced head. For me he's arguably been our best player in January, and could easily have dropped his standards and pushed for a move but he didn't. We should praise that rather than write him off.

Is he a long or even medium term solution to anything? No of course not. He will do us for another 18 months though if he can maintain this form. Garner doesn't seem that close to being in consideration so keeping him allows us to focus on other positions this summer.

theklr

Like others have said, i don't mind him staying for another year to keep some experience in the squad. But he needs to be managed like Mata. Play in games where we should dominate, and not to be overused.
I disagree on that last bit, at the moment he's better than any alternative in games where we face a stronger team as well.
I would think it's better to rest him in games where we have most of the possession for these type of games.

Just look at the last City game where they were so dominant in midfield in the first half.

Yes, they took the foot of the pedal after he'd come in, but for all his lackings he do got some football intelligence and ability to shield the defence.

TrustInOle

Played himself right back into contention. Would have been easy at his age to have given up, sat on the bench and pushed for a move. Credit where credit is due and mentality has never been the issue with Matic. If 50% of our past signings could match it, we'd be sitting in a better position now.

Suddenly Matic, Fred, Scott, Pogba and maybe one more addition (Bruno) doesn't look too shabby.

EDIT. Feel him and Mata are gonna play a vital part for the remainder of the season.

GwilDor

I disagree on that last bit, at the moment he's better than any alternative in games where we face a stronger team as well.
I would think it's better to rest him in games where we have most of the possession for these type of games.

Just look at the last City game where they were so dominant in midfield in the first half.

Yes, they took the foot of the pedal after he'd come in, but for all his lackings he do got some football intelligence and ability to shield the defence.
I didn't specify that in my post, but the intention would be to sign a different player to play in the "big" games, where we need more intensity. I agree he was good in the City game, but like you say, that might be down to City taking the foot off the pedal aswell. If his extension means no replacement/addition being signed, then its a bad move imo.

enurs

Sander Berge ( The older version) is same type of player and we can get him for £20m.

theklr

I didn't specify that in my post, but the intention would be to sign a different player to play in the "big" games, where we need more intensity. I agree he was good in the City game, but like you say, that might be down to City taking the foot off the pedal aswell. If his extension means no replacement/addition being signed, then its a bad move imo.
Ahh yes, then I get your point. I think its almost guaranteed that his extension doesnt mean no replacement in the summer though.
The rumours about getting a CDM on loan has also gone quite now, and thats probably because Matic has shown somewhat better form.

I still dont quite understand the extension though, I guess it is as you say just for squad depth so we can rest players in easy cups, and in case of multiple injuries.

sp_107

He is playing well because he likes to get a new contract with UTD or any other club in that matter. Once we give him a new contract he will go back to his old ways.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Don’t mind this. The Matic of last season I wanted out the door, but this season has proven if he’s managed right he’s still an asset. Only 30 (I think?) and pretty much our only real defensive midfielder. Retaining an experienced player on a short term deal isn’t a bad idea. We just can’t expect him to play every game.

2 man midfield

Matic until Ole took over that is, but my God, we could've said that about the entire squad. :lol:
I remember being really pissed with Matic even under Ole, towards the end of last season he just didn’t look bothered at all. The Everton 4-0 springs to mind, the closing down for their second (Sigurdsson I think) was non-existent.

I remember being really pissed with Matic even under Ole, towards the end of last season he just didn’t look bothered at all. The Everton 4-0 springs to mind, the closing down for their second (Sigurdsson I think) was non-existent.
Well he played in the first 11-12 wins that got Ole the job (played through injury), but then he succumbed to that injury as confirmed by Ole and didn't really regain his form when he came back.

2 man midfield

Well he played in the first 11-12 wins that got Ole the job (played through injury), but then he succumbed to that injury as confirmed by Ole and didn't really regain his form when he came back.
Dunno if he was just tired or whatever, but he still seems to play ok if his games are managed. He’s good enough to start for us, but Wednesday, Saturday is too much for him. It’s a shame since he’s our only real defensive midfielder.

poleglass red

Been good of late but I'd fear for him against a a top team. The pace, the closing down, his inability to track runners will still be evident against those teams. He's always had good positioning but once that's passed he's no recovery mode. His passing and retention of the ball are decent, his problem is he takes so long to pass that the other teams backline have a chance to regroup. Against top teams when we are breaking on a counter, this is very problematic.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Neves would be an absolutely stunning signing..!! Wow..!!

dev1l

In the last couple of games, he was good. Not sure if this something temporary or if he could continue playing this way.

Jibbs

Neves or Ndidi, two very different players, but United would benefit immensely by signing any of them.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
What's everyone's thought's on Kalvin Phillip's from leed's ?
Looks the part in the championship, seems to have all the credentials, just the step up to Premiership may take him time. Not sure how true this is, but I did read somewhere that he has a buyout clause if Leeds fail to get promoted this season, (can't supply proof though), and Leeds are doing a Leeds again this season, started losing matches in the new year, could it be psychological that they always wobble this time of year.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
We should definitely be signing a defensive midfielder this summer but it's not obvious who to go for. Neves or Ndidi would be difficult as both would be very expensive. Leeds look set for promotion which kills our chances with Phillips this summer. Garner has huge potential but isn't physically ready yet so perhaps we could go for a cheaper player and use the money elsewhere.

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
If Matic stays we're fine. Just a matter of rotating players properly. Next seasons midfield with Pogba gone would currently look something like:

Bruno Fernandes
Fred McTominay​
Bench:
Gomes/Lingard/Pereira/Mata
Garner Matic​

Pogba in pushes Fred down to Garners spot, Pogba starts... but in general it's fine, depending on Garner. If he is more ready to play a part in the squad, come in as a rotation option like Greenwood and Williams have this season, then I'm not sure we'll sign anyone and Bruno is just Pogba's replacement. Would be nice if Gomes stayed to be backup for the CAM but I doubt it. Also might see Lingard leave in the summer, but with Mejbri maybe stepping up to have some sort of role.
Ideally I would bring in someone like Tonali to start next to McTominay, behind Bruno. Fred and Matic can be the rotation pair.

billybee99

If Matic stays we're fine. Just a matter of rotating players properly. Next seasons midfield with Pogba gone would currently look something like:

Bruno Fernandes
Fred McTominay
Bench:
Gomes/Lingard/Pereira/Mata
Garner Matic​

Pogba in pushes Fred down to Garners spot, Pogba starts... but in general it's fine, depending on Garner. If he is more ready to play a part in the squad, come in as a rotation option like Greenwood and Williams have this season, then I'm not sure we'll sign anyone and Bruno is just Pogba's replacement. Would be nice if Gomes stayed to be backup for the CAM but I doubt it. Also might see Lingard leave in the summer, but with Mejbri maybe stepping up to have some sort of role.
Ideally I would bring in someone like Tonali to start next to McTominay, behind Bruno. Fred and Matic can be the rotation pair.
Yeah, that midfield is "fine"... if we want to finish 6th again.