Potential Matic Replacements

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I thought he was way too slow in the game at Old Trafford.

But then again Matic isn't exactly the Flash, despite looking fresh and energized on Wed.
He is on the slow side which could be a problem against teams who press high.

Sea-Cow

Ole wasn't our manager at the time when the likes of Fabinho, Van Dyke moved to Liverpool. That's mostly on Mourinho and the naivety of our board in giving too much control to the manager.

Van Dyke definitely was a big miss with the benefit of hindsight but what we should do now is go after a young CB with similar characteristics rather than sign someone older who isn't close to the same quality. The same apllies for Fabinho and there's a number of very interesting alternatives who could be even better.
Agreed with this. And do you trust our current system to find these better alternatives? I have my doubts.

If they only sought the help of the Caf! It'd be raining trebles!

E-mal

Thiago Alcantara has played as a Deep lying playmaker with great success too and if he is available and over his injury concerns we can look at it. Then we will be a proper football team.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Agreed with this. And do you trust our current system to find these better alternatives? I have my doubts.

If they only sought the help of the Caf! It'd be raining trebles!
I think if the Caf was sought to recruit players we'd be in even bigger problems..

I think we have fantastic scouts but i'm unsure how much say they have over the manager regarding prospective new signings. I'm someone that believes in a DoF type setup which has proven to be the best model when implemented without any interference.

Brightonian

Thiago Alcantara has played as a Deep lying playmaker with great success too and if he is available and over his injury concerns we can look at it. Then we will be a proper football team.
Wildly inappropriate player to replace Matic. You want to play a midfield of Pogba, Bruno and Thiago? Good luck to our back line.

Sea-Cow

Wildly inappropriate player to replace Matic. You want to play a midfield of Pogba, Bruno and Thiago? Good luck to our back line.
I think it would be excellent, actually.

I don't remember the exact game, and my memory has been destroyed by years of frequent drug use so feel free to dismiss this post, but I remember him in a road Champions League knockout, I think against Madrid, and he was definitely the deepest of their center mids, and he was freaking fantastic.

He is mobile, can cover danger, can tackle cleanly, and he is absolutely press-resistant.

Sea-Cow

I think if the Caf was sought to recruit players we'd be in even bigger problems..

I think we have fantastic scouts but i'm unsure how much say they have over the manager regarding prospective new signings. I'm someone that believes in a DoF type setup which has proven to be the best model when implemented without any interference.
Excuse my ignorance, but does Liverpool have a DoF? I guess I could google it and find out, so also, please excuse my laziness.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Excuse my ignorance, but does Liverpool have a DoF? I guess I could google it and find out, so also, please excuse my laziness.
They have Michael Edwards who has been quite important for them in recruiting players.

jamesjimmybyrondean

He’s a good long passer and can play line breakers. He certainly can carry the ball forward too. Positioning I think is the issue for him but it’s certainly something that he can learn from Carrick.
Mctominay is inconsistent with his passes. I honestly don't see his ability being of any use in a team that always has the ball.

E-mal

I understand you mate and if we go that route then we will have to add pace to our backline. It will be fun though, we will basically dominate most teams that we will defend very little. In addition, Thiago is no slouch in the tackle and he is quite capable positionally.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I don't think Ole cares about a DM really. He's played a 4-2-3-1 all through with a double pivot behind the AM and it seems we are sorted in that area.

We started this season with Mctominay and Pogba as Ole's preferred first choices in the double pivot. Then Pogba got injured and we played Mctominay and Fred and did quite well. Then played Matic and Fred pre corona and also did very well. We are currently playing Matic and Pogba and it's working out fine. It just seems like we are sorted in the double pivot with Mctominay Pogba Fred and Matic all favoured by Ole to play there and there's no need for an additional player/DM. Matic and Pogba as the first choice pairings and Mctominay and Fred as the second choice pairings(would probably see this against Norwich too).

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I don't think Ole cares about a DM really. He's played a 4-2-3-1 all through with a double pivot behind the AM and it seems we are sorted in that area.

We started this season with Mctominay and Pogba as Ole's preferred first choices in the double pivot. Then Pogba got injured and we played Mctominay and Fred and did quite well. Then played Matic and Fred pre corona and also did very well. We are currently playing Matic and Pogba and it's working out fine. It just seems like we are sorted in the double pivot with Mctominay Pogba Fred and Matic all favoured by Ole to play there and there's no need for an additional player/DM. Matic and Pogba as the first choice pairings and Mctominay and Fred as the second choice pairings(would probably see this against Norwich too).
I think he does care, but it seems Ole's perception of a DM is very different to what alot on here are suggesting. It's been reported that Ole wants a DM who can also contribute as a #8 which is the way to go IMO.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Is Lisandro Martinez any good from Ajax?

A ball winner maybe than a passer.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Mctominay is inconsistent with his passes. I honestly don't see his ability being of any use in a team that always has the ball.
I’d disagree. I think it’s an underrated aspect of his game to be honest. He’s a good passer.
I think he does care, but it seems Ole's perception of a DM is very different to what alot on here are suggesting. It's been reported that Ole wants a DM who can also contribute as a #8 which is the way to go IMO.
Teun Koopmeiners can play DM and No8...

Just saying guys.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I’d disagree. I think it’s an underrated aspect of his game to be honest. He’s a good passer
How is his passing ability compared to Fernandinho, Rodri, Jorginho, Kimmich, Verratti, Busquets, Pjanic? These are the DMs of other top teams and I don't think Mctominay is as good as a passer as any of them. Mctominay's strength is his intensity and energy not his passing. If you're telling him to play similar to Matic or Carrick he wouldn't be quite useful against sides that sit deep because we would have most of the ball and his strengths - intensity and energy would not be needed.

Do you think he would have impacted the Sheffield game like Matic did for example? Matic is obviously the better player but what I mean is do you think Mctominay would have brought that calmness and composure in midfield like Matic did for us?

I think we are better off grooming him to be like a Casemiro or Ndidi rather than a Matic or Carrick

Last edited:

Prodigal7

Big fan of Neves at Wolves. Couldn’t believe it when Wolves got him. James Garner should be given a fair crack at it though too.

jesperjaap

I agree, he has improved a lot obviously in the last few years but if he isnt just laying the ball off, all his other type of passes are not inconsistent, they are consistently quite poor. He is good break ing up play to win the ball, good shielding it and carrying it, has a decent shot, passing wise, he is pretty poor though

jesperjaap

One player who has flopped this season in the premiership and seems to have a big problem with his manager (seems familiar) and may be looking for a move but has so much ability, could be worth considering......NDombele?
He seeoms to have had injury and settling problems and not been given many opportunities but seems to be more to it than that. Every time I have seen him for Spurs you can still see the quality.

I think there are loads of options to consider replacing Matic......Tonali, Camavinga being the perfect ones but then there are the likes of Soumare, Zakaria even Declan Rice and a cheap option I have seen very little of the alst 18months and doesnt seem to be playing after his move and subsequently the manager signing him leaving, but Ascacibar is still very young, has a fantastic heart and superb reading of the game.

There are just so many good young defensive midfielders around, I dont see how we could fail to sign a good one IF and for me its still a big IF....we can offer champions league football next season

Danillaco

Big fan of Neves at Wolves. Couldn’t believe it when Wolves got him. James Garner should be given a fair crack at it though too.
Really like him, such a player. Composed, can pass, mobile and can definetly shoot from distance.

croadyman

I think if there was any plans for us to bring in an understudy to Matic then we would have heard something by now. Looks very much like Garner is going to get a chance to prove himself next season in that role. I fully expect us to prioritise this next summer if it turns out that he isn't capable of making that step up.

reelworld

The VDB links makes so much sense if this is what Ole thinks. He's an exceptional passer who can play as an 8 or further up

gr3yham3

Teun Koopmeiners can play DM and No8...

Just saying guys.

There are tshirts? Haha.. anyway Koopmeiners can play CB too, in case of an emergency. So his play style will be very similar to how Matic performed against Sheffield, dropping as deep as the CBs to build up the play.

Not too worried about pace as most DLP aren't overly reliant on them - Carrick, Pirlo etc were not known for it, neither is Matic.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Well if he cares then that's good. But why is getting a DM that can play as an 8 the way to go? We already have 3 no.8s in the team - Pogba Fred and Mctominay.

Also don't you think we've played much better in midfield anytime an inform Matic was on the pitch?

jamesjimmybyrondean

The VDB links makes so much sense if this is what Ole thinks. He's an exceptional passer who can play as an 8 or further up
I don't think it makes much sense tbh. If Matic injures VdB Pogba and Bruno midfield would be too attacking. And plus playing VdB deeper you'd just be taking away his best attributes

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Well if he cares then that's good. But why is getting a DM that can play as an 8 the way to go? We already have 3 no.8s in the team - Pogba Fred and Mctominay.

Also don't you think we've played much better in midfield anytime an inform Matic was on the pitch?
Matic isn't a pure DM either and he also isn't mobile enough against top teams who press from the front. But he'll be fine against the weaker opposition due to his ability on the ball.

It's the way to go because most games we play over a season will be against teams where we will have majority of the ball. Having someone in midfield who can defend well and distribute the ball to a good level will be more beneficial IMO than having a purely defensive player in the role.

Against the top teams we can use our #6/#8 to play a more disciplined role. Zakaria or Partey over Rice or Ndidi is the way to go IMO.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
Is Lisandro Martinez any good from Ajax?

A ball winner maybe than a passer.
He's very aggressive, and surprisingly technical on the ball for a centreback, which is imo his better position than midfielder. but he's nowhere near ready for a step up. definitely a revelation of sorts early on in the season but also a bit shaky at times. also not sure really that his passing range/ability is suited for a midfielder, or at least not adjusted properly to what is needed. whereas for a centreback his dribbling in and passing is great - but obviously it's unlikely any premier league team goes for a 1.75m centreback!

Decomposing In Paris

Matic isn't a pure DM either and he also isn't mobile enough against top teams who press from the front. But he'll be fine against the weaker opposition due to his ability on the ball.

It's the way to go because most games we play over a season will be against teams where we will have majority of the ball. Having someone in midfield who can defend well and distribute the ball to a good level will be more beneficial IMO than having a purely defensive player in the role.

Against the top teams we can use our #6/#8 to play a more disciplined role. Zakaria or Partey over Rice or Ndidi is the way to go IMO.
We might well be playing 352 against the big teams anyway, we’ve done well doing that this season.

Fosu-Mens

1. Party: Can play as a ball-winner and somewhat as a distributor. Currently best option potentially available.
2. Tonali: He will likely go to Inter or Juve, but still. Passing range, speed of decision and close control similar to Pirlo and Scholes.
3. Koopmeiners would be a safe and cheap option if other targets fail.

Fracture90

In all honesty if we're to dread facing teams that play the high pressing game, Maguire and his immobility is equally as detrimental to us as Matic' is.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
In all honesty if we're to dread facing teams that play the high pressing game, Maguire and his immobility is equally as detrimental to us as Matic' is.
You make a valid point and it's something that we may have to contend with from time to time.

But with the amount we shelled out for him I can't see him going anywhere anytime soon. I think he'll be a ever present for the foreseeable future and we will have to try and buy another CB and DM who are athletically/physically gifted to cover up his defecencies. Which is dissapointing to say considering we broke the world record for a player in his position.

Fracture90

You make a valid point and it's something that we may have to contend with from time to time.

But with the amount we shelled out for him I can't see him going anywhere anytime soon. I think he'll be a ever present for the foreseeable future and we will have to try and buy another CB and DM who are athletically/physically gifted to cover up his defecencies. Which is dissapointing to say considering we broke the world record for a player in his position.
Thing thats good with having Pogba and Bruno in front of Matic is that their intelligent movement, ball control and ability to make a quick pass coupled with Matic' lack of mobility but his good passing and ball covering can give us a lot of opportunities to go around the press game. That plus hopefully having Sancho alongside Rashford and Martial up front will demand respect from any high pressing team.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Thing thats good with having Pogba and Bruno in front of Matic is that their intelligent movement, ball control and ability to make a quick pass coupled with Matic' lack of mobility but his good passing and ball covering can give us a lot of opportunities to go around the press game. That plus hopefully having Sancho alongside Rashford and Martial up front will demand respect from any high pressing team.
Matic on the ball is fantastic and our best player for that specific role due to his technical quality no doubt. But I just feel having someone with Matic's technical quality with added mobility would suit us better in the long-run.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He's very aggressive, and surprisingly technical on the ball for a centreback, which is imo his better position than midfielder. but he's nowhere near ready for a step up. definitely a revelation of sorts early on in the season but also a bit shaky at times. also not sure really that his passing range/ability is suited for a midfielder, or at least not adjusted properly to what is needed. whereas for a centreback his dribbling in and passing is great - but obviously it's unlikely any premier league team goes for a 1.75m centreback!
Yeah he is quite the skillful player for a CB, does he remind you of certain player's he may grow up to be as a CDM? Mascherano, Cambiasso?