Potential Matic Replacements

Red_Orchestra

We have McTominay for the "Matic Role"
I'd rather get a Deep Lying Playmaker like Ruben Neves if we were to get a defensive midfielder.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
28 year old Danilo Pereira looks like he wants to leave Porto in the up coming window and might be available for a very reasonable fee.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
28 year old Danilo Pereira looks like he wants to leave Porto in the up coming window and might be available for a very reasonable fee.

Never understood why he didn’t move sooner to a bigger club.

AneRu

I see it really as a low risk no brainer in my eyes. At very least he’ll be a great addition to the squad and if he plays as he can I believe we’d have got a bit of a bargain.

AZ aren’t in a position to get big money for players at the moment so £15-20m max and we could get him. Everyone else Zakaria, Rice etc and you’re looking at £40m plus maybe £50m for Rice.
Even a £30m fee would be fine since we like to pay £50m fees for players like Fred. However with Matic having signed a new contract I doubt we will be looking to sign another DM, at least this summer anyway, as that would effectively leave us with four players for one role and no one else who can offer what Pogba/Bruno offer to the team.

Unless if we decide to sell one of Fred or McTominay but I don't see us being that proactive in transfer planning. I think we will go with McT and Fred as back ups to Pogba and Matic then look to sign Grealish for creativity from deep areas.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Even a £30m fee would be fine since we like to pay £50m fees for players like Fred. However with Matic having signed a new contract I doubt we will be looking to sign another DM, at least this summer anyway, as that would effectively leave us with four players for one role and no one else who can offer what Pogba/Bruno offer to the team.

Unless if we decide to sell one of Fred or McTominay but I don't see us being that proactive in transfer planning. I think we will go with McT and Fred as back ups to Pogba and Matic then look to sign Grealish for creativity from deep areas.
AZ wouldn’t be in a position to ask for that much at all. £20m would likely do it tbh.

I’ll be amazed if he’s not picked up this window by another club.

To be fair Koopmeiners is very good at playing the Pogba long pass but he’s not going to be around the box as much.

I’m not confident we’ll sign Grealish after Ole’s arsehole comments.

AneRu

AZ wouldn’t be in a position to ask for that much at all. £20m would likely do it tbh.

I’ll be amazed if he’s not picked up this window by another club.

To be fair Koopmeiners is very good at playing the Pogba long pass but he’s not going to be around the box as much.

I’m not confident we’ll sign Grealish after Ole’s arsehole comments.
Weren't those comments directed at Lingard not a potential signing? Plus I think the problem with us since Fergie is that we aren't proactive in our business. For example, Fred and McT provide us with good energy off the ball but that skill is only useful when we play the likes of City, Liverpool and Chelsea at a stretch.

We don't need the two of them in the squad and Fred has repaired his reputation such that we could get something like £30m for him from the likes of West Ham, Everton and others of their ilk. Sell him and use that to sign a player like Koopmeiners who has the potential to be a great DM who has a great passing range. I'm in support of the move to sign him but I don't think the has plans to do so.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Weren't those comments directed at Lingard not a potential signing? Plus I think the problem with us since Fergie is that we aren't proactive in our business. For example, Fred and McT provide us with good energy off the ball but that skill is only useful when we play the likes of City, Liverpool and Chelsea at a stretch.

We don't need the two of them in the squad and Fred has repaired his reputation such that we could get something like £30m for him from the likes of West Ham, Everton and others of their ilk. Sell him and use that to sign a player like Koopmeiners who has the potential to be a great DM who has a great passing range. I'm in support of the move to sign him but I don't think the has plans to do so.
I agree with this. Neither Mctominay or Fred are DMs. They are both CMs but are defensive and aren't creative enough. So when we are chasing a game like we were yesterday and Pogba Matic and Bruno midfield can't do anything both Fred and Mctominay aren't useful off the bench so why do you need two of these types of CMs on your bench? Having both is overkill. What is their use off the bench? Even with these two we still can't rest Matic when he needs it because they can't play DM and when we need more creative spark in the team they can't provide it coming off the bench because they aren't creative. So what is their use? Their only use is to close out 3-0 leads or when we need to lock up shop and that doesn't and shouldn't happen to us often.

I'd sell Fred since he can generate more cash than Mctominay who is still young and can develop into a better player. Then get a creative DM to succeed Matic that would also give Matic rest when he needs it. Get Grealish also so that when we get into a situation like yesterday with Bruno and Pogba playing shit we finally have someone to call on to give us more creative spark. Keep Mctominay because at some point we would need to become more defensive

So our midfield should be looking like this: Matic Grealish Pogba Mctominay Partey Bruno Garner. (using Grealish and Partey as examples)

Last edited:

jamesjimmybyrondean

Bennacer is also a good option, he's adored by Milan fans. 22 years of age, 45m release clause.

There are quite a number of young DMs we could get to succeed Matic this window. Now is a very good time to get one while Matic still has it in him to put in some good performances while the young DM learns from him and takes his place when Matic needs rest.

croadyman

Bennacer is also a good option, he's adored by Milan fans. 22 years of age, 45m release clause.

There are quite a number of young DMs we could get to succeed Matic this window. Now is a very good time to get one while Matic still has it in him to put in some good performances while the young DM learns from him and takes his place when Matic needs rest.
Yeah that is a very good idea but for some daft reason Ole is having none of it. He will end up running Matic completely into the ground again

RikRuud

I'd like to see us revert back to a deep playmaker role for the DM position. Loved to watch players like Carrick, Xabi Alonso etc. I think Ruben Neves could be a great option for us however, I can't recall any really strong links to us recently.

croadyman

I'd like to see us revert back to a deep playmaker role for the DM position. Loved to watch players like Carrick, Xabi Alonso etc. I think Ruben Neves could be a great option for us however, I can't recall any really strong links to us recently.
Yeah the minute Matic signed that 3 year contract ended any hopes of us buying a DLP type player this summer

A young Carrick would transform this team

RikRuud

Yeah the minute Matic signed that 3 year contract ended any hopes of us buying a DLP type player this summer
I think people overestimate the 3 year deal. I think he'll have one more year as a real contributor to the team, I think he's earned that much. However the extra years could just be Utd securing themselves should someone in Italy come calling for his signature in 12 months. Would mean we would receive some sort of transfer fee.

RikRuud

A young Carrick would transform this team
A rare commodity to have such a cultured English midfielder. Him being overlooked in the England setup was a gain for us. Probably extended his playing career at the top level. I'd take any version of Carrick we had over the yesrs to run this midfield.

croadyman

I think people overestimate the 3 year deal. I think he'll have one more year as a real contributor to the team, I think he's earned that much. However the extra years could just be Utd securing themselves should someone in Italy come calling for his signature in 12 months. Would mean we would receive some sort of transfer fee.
I am hoping we are going to scout some players in the DLP mould over the next season with a view to buying one next summer but not that confident that the club is thinking in the same way.

Bwuk

I like Rice and he seems the correct type of character.

Tonali from the videos I’ve seen likes unbelievable - would definately be interested in seeing more.

RikRuud

I think a young Roy Keane is what this team needs. Carrick would struggle against the press in our current team.
Carrick was very cool under pressure. I think teams started to press us a lot more when Carrick left the squad knowing this.

RikRuud

I am hoping we are going to scout some players in the DLP mould over the next season with a view to buying one next summer but not that confident that the club is thinking in the same way.
Its a real shame we haven't got a real pre season this year as it would have been a great opportunity to see what the academy players such as Garner and Levitt could do. Garner looks like he may develop into the kind of role we need.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Carrick was very cool under pressure. I think teams started to press us a lot more when Carrick left the squad knowing this.
Which teams pressed to a good level when Carrick was playing in domestic football?

Keane was twice the player Carrick was and that sort of dynamism is missing.

croadyman

A rare commodity to have such a cultured English midfielder. Him being overlooked in the England setup was a gain for us. Probably extended his playing career at the top level. I'd take any version of Carrick we had over the yesrs to run this midfield.
Yeah there is no doubt if England had utilised Carrick more and played Scholesy in his best position that we would have won something in that 2002-2006 period I reckon when we had one of the best teams in the world then.

RikRuud

Which teams pressed to a good level when Carrick was playing in domestic football?

Keane was twice the player Carrick was and that sort of dynamism is missing.
With regards to a exact teams that pressed to a high level 7 years ago and beyond, i'm not going to try and and cherry pick squads. With regards to your comparison with Carrick and Keane. They are two completely different players with very different attributes and characteristics, both of which contributed massively to the style of football we were playing. I agree Kean's Dynamism is missing but which players would you be willing to compare to our great captain in the modern era? I feel that a more cultured midfielder would be better suited to the modern game.

RikRuud

Yeah there is no doubt if England had utilised Carrick more and played Scholesy in his best position that we would have won something in that 2002-2006 period I reckon when we had one of the best teams in the world then.
England's golden generation etc. Their shortsightedness was Utd'd gain.

Redrum1982

Rice would be perfect but he is English so will always be underrated on here.
I'd take rice at CB if I was taking him, I still think that's his best position. Would be nice to have his quality on the ball at CB too.

wolvored

I would sell Fred, hopefully get £25-30 mill and bring in someone like Zakaria, Tonali maybe Rice although he would probably cost £70-80 mill. McTom hasnt the discipline or skill set to be a proper DM.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
With regards to a exact teams that pressed to a high level 7 years ago and beyond, i'm not going to try and and cherry pick squads. With regards to your comparison with Carrick and Keane. They are two completely different players with very different attributes and characteristics, both of which contributed massively to the style of football we were playing. I agree Kean's Dynamism is missing but which players would you be willing to compare to our great captain in the modern era? I feel that a more cultured midfielder would be better suited to the modern game.
It depends how we want to play. And I believe our approach will be similar to how Nagelsmann, Klopp, Rose, Hassenhuttl approach games playing a high tempo game. And If you look at the midfielders those coaches have as the ball winners they're dynamic players similar to Roy Keane IMO.

croadyman

I would sell Fred, hopefully get £25-30 mill and bring in someone like Zakaria, Tonali maybe Rice although he would probably cost £70-80 mill. McTom hasnt the discipline or skill set to be a proper DM.
I would say the only one of them we could realistically get is Zakaria next summer, obviously it will depend on how well he recovers from that injury which kept him out for ages this season. I get the impression with Tonali is that he has no intention of leaving Italy any time soon but could be proved wrong on that.

AneRu

I agree with this. Neither Mctominay or Fred are DMs. They are both CMs but are defensive and aren't creative enough. So when we are chasing a game like we were yesterday and Pogba Matic and Bruno midfield can't do anything both Fred and Mctominay aren't useful off the bench so why do you need two of these types of CMs on your bench? Having both is overkill. What is their use off the bench? Even with these two we still can't rest Matic when he needs it because they can't play DM and when we need more creative spark in the team they can't provide it coming off the bench because they aren't creative. So what is their use? Their only use is to close out 3-0 leads or when we need to lock up shop and that doesn't and shouldn't happen to us often.

I'd sell Fred since he can generate more cash than Mctominay who is still young and can develop into a better player. Then get a creative DM to succeed Matic that would also give Matic rest when he needs it. Get Grealish also so that when we get into a situation like yesterday with Bruno and Pogba playing shit we finally have someone to call on to give us more creative spark. Keep Mctominay because at some point we would need to become more defensive

So our midfield should be looking like this: Matic Grealish Pogba Mctominay Partey Bruno Garner. (using Grealish and Partey as examples)
Agree with all this, we need a DM who is capable of starting play from deep and once we have him there is no point having both Mctominay and Fred as one would be rendered redundant which we would see his value drop. This summer could be the last to get a decent fee on Fred and he has done well to restore his reputation and market value.

Given that Dortmund will demand a huge fee for Sancho, selling one of our first teamers is the only way I can see us funding a move for additional signings.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
You’d love Koopmeiners.

In Rainbows

Its a real shame we haven't got a real pre season this year as it would have been a great opportunity to see what the academy players such as Garner and Levitt could do. Garner looks like he may develop into the kind of role we need.
We probably will see Garner in against LASK. Although maybe not in a starting capacity considering we still have Fred, McTominay, Lingard, Pereira, and Mata around. Although, personally it would make more sense to give time to Garner than players who are clearly not favored.

Garner, Levitt, and Mejbri are potential suitors for that role. Mejbri has the aggressiveness that Garner has, while being a slightly better ball carrier as he has slightly better dribbling technique. All 3 can pass the ball well as they have great passing technique, with Mejbri and Levitt probably are slightly better at passing through lanes than Garner. Garner has the best scoring ability, and is slightly more defensive oriented despite that.

I would love to throw Mejbri in the deep end like we did Rashford. But it's impossible as he can't be appear in the EL.

jamesjimmybyrondean

The thing about the DM position is the players that are currently proven Ndidi, Rice, Neves are all going to cost an arm and a leg. So unless we want to splash cash then we have to find a gem for this position

LuckyScout78

Remember McTom will never be a Matic player of type. When a shape and design and construction of McTom has already been made. Both mental and physically. McTom will go on the direction of the more defensive box box type of Roy Keane and Paul Ince.
Matic is Carrick type of cm player.

And peoples have really quick forgot how important McTom was, when Pogba was injury nearly the whole season.
And i am 100% sure. If McTom didn’t play that key role in this Pogba out period. United would be out for top 4, long time ago. Not a chance United would still be in Top4, of McTom aggressive hard working fighting ability. And scoring 4 goals with a struggling, unsteady and average United. Until Bruno change everything.

It his McTom first full season. Some really expect too much from the boy. Top breaking down opponents attack and same on same level like Carrick and Matic playmaking role. Where is the Scholes type of player beside a more defensive Roy Keane?McTom can’t do everything. And you guys focus and talking about McTom negative sides than appreciate his positive abilities.

And to be honest. If i am United manager. McTom is one of first I would put in the starting line up. Then it is between a fully fit and fresh Pogba or Matic, stand from the creative and link up midfield and attack. United have 4 goals scoring attacking player. Should be more than enough if all of the hit theirs max level and the dayform.
McTom main job is to shield the back line and break down opponent attack. Pogba and Matic dont have legs for that.

Pogba is not on his top form back from injury yet. Plus many matches and less resting. Pogba heavy body is not suit for 3 days a match. Again, remember how important McTom has been for United this season. Goal against City sum all up his engine, driven and fighting spirit mentality. Opponents players hate to meet players like McTom.
He work hard, top aggressive, athletic, decent on the ball and tall and strong. A cm machine.

So again. At this current form abd physical condition/fitness/freshness and easy on the toes.

Greenwood - McTom - Matic/Pogba - Rashford + Bruno + Martial

Clearly United best line up.

United have Roy Keane defensive kind of player. The player who do the aggressive, pressing, dirty....but not as dirty as Roy Keane did in few occasions. Bring the guts and energy to team like Bruno did, but just deeper from cm.
Now, go and find a top and equal player. And consistent like Pau Scholes. Then United will be really good and consistent. If you don’t find that creative box to box in Pogba or Matic.
You are talking about Matic creative ability. Then he should do more Scholes job. The creative job. Not to break down the creative like McTom.

And remember. It only a United team that has won the treble. Then you can figure out how good United cm were, even United had a lot of luck in that treble season.

In the end. You get to understand United attacking 4 strength. They are build for quick direct few touch combinations football. Closer to United period before 2000. Then you have to build and get two quick cm players. A cm that can deliver quick direct passer to the front 4. Then Scholes and Keane would suit perfectly into those 4.
A Axel Witsel from Dortmund or A more deep laying Kevin De Bruyne. Then you have a McTom doing the dirty and not funny job, the defensive part. Most of the time. Like Keane, when its right. Allowing to run forward to score goal too.

Conclusion. To suit United top 4 high speed and direct football. Beside a player you have in McTom, Keane type of player. Find a player and equal consistent level like Scholes. Plus a top RW. Strength the goal and backline. Then United can battle for premier league title. And don’t turn McTom into Carrick type of player. Specialize what McTom is best on and his strength, beside improve his weakness. Like ball abilities. Let him be him or Keane like Keane. Nit turn Keane into a Scholes type.
Like the movie Ocean Eleven. They all were different. But they was best on something. Let them do what they are best with/on.

Focus and appreciate McTom best sides. And his definitely and clearly United key and consistent player. McTom like Rashford always give you 100%. And i am satisfy with McTom ball abilities, even he can improve it more. So to be 100% honest and objective. No need to find a new Matic, Carrick or Keane. Just find a new upcoming who has it. When you has it, age doesn’t matter. Like the phenom young Fabregas playing beside Viera. Look at the abilities and qualities, not by the name.