Potential Matic Replacements

jamesjimmybyrondean

Would definitely take him for 18m based off that. I still think we've made the decision to groom Scott for that role.
We definitely have. I'm sure we are not getting a DM this window. It would mean we lost faith in Mctominay and that's too soon

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
How’s that Koopmeiners fella developing?

My only Eric

Marc Roca seems a good shout.

Watched him a bit, he plays in a shit team that is now relegated but he is individually brilliant.

Young, good and cheap.. how Ole likes em

Kostov

Roca, Partey or even some unknown talent ready to play and improve have to be considered. If fail to bring anyone, than I hope we play Garner as Matic understudy.

Glorio

How good is Ndidi apart from being brilliant in tackling folks? Particularly around positioning and passing?
He seems one of those that opposing players and fans respect, but maybe not enough to draw strong attention, or transfer rumours/excitement. Could he be a Kante type player?

He played really well against us and seems quite consistent and injury free most of the time, however, I must admit I've not paid too much attention to his career.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I keep seeing posts where people want a DLP. But the question is, can the DLP make passes while with-holding high pressure? If he can't, then that is the wrong player to target IMO.

Also it seems like alot are more concerned about offensive transition rather than defensive balance.

Red_Orchestra

There is Marc Roca (Espanyol) and Sandro Tonali (Brescia) available as a long term Matic replacement. Although Tonali was more of a B2B player with this Brescia team.
However, the only reasonable reason on why we wouldn't place a bid for either one of these players this window, is if we were after Zakaria. Which is kind of understandable.
If we're not in for Zakaria, It would be an absolutely foolish mistake to pass up on two top tier midfielders in one window.

I would be dumb founded if we don't get one of those players this window.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
There is Marc Roca (Espanyol) and Sandro Tonali (Brescia) available as a long term Matic replacement. Although Tonali was more of a B2B player with this Brescia team.
However, the only reasonable reason on why we wouldn't place a bid for either one of these players this window, is if we were after Zakaria. Which is kind of understandable.
If we're not in for Zakaria, It would be an absolutely foolish mistake to pass up on two top tier midfielders in one window.

Agreed but is there any reliable source that links us to any? I'd love Zakaria personally

jamesjimmybyrondean

Tonali available for 30m, Roca available for 15m and Partey has a release clause of 45m. This opportunity wouldn't come by next window. By next window the only DMs worth looking at would be Zakaria Neves Ndidi Rice and maybe Koopmeiners. You best believe we would spend a fortune on one of those players

Delano

Once a RW is signed, this has to be the biggest priority of the summer.

All credit to Matic, he has had a second wind this year but the problem now is, when he needs resting or doesn't start we look far more disjointed in midfield.

Roca seems to be a great punt for the fee being banded around, but like many in this thread, I'd go for Zakaria.

Problem is, we've been linked to zero CDMs from any decent source, so I do worry we'll be overliant on Matic again next season.

Sea-Cow

I would like to see Marcelo Brozovic as Matic's replacement. He plays as a single pivot in midfield 3 but he is versatile enough to play any role in midfield.

Guy has an iron lungs, can run for days, he is good defensively but also contributes in attack (3 goals and 6 assists in Serie A this season).

He also have a good passing range and he usually scores 2 or 3 bangers per season.

Plus it would be nice to finally see a fellow Croat in United.
Thats a good shout. I was impressed by him in the World Cup

Sea-Cow

How good is Ndidi apart from being brilliant in tackling folks? Particularly around positioning and passing?
He seems one of those that opposing players and fans respect, but maybe not enough to draw strong attention, or transfer rumours/excitement. Could he be a Kante type player?

He played really well against us and seems quite consistent and injury free most of the time, however, I must admit I've not paid too much attention to his career.
I don't think we would ever confuse him for Scholes or Pirlo, but I think his passing is fine. He can also carry the ball well to break pressure, from what I've seen, and has a hammer of a shot when he gets the chance.

I think they would absolutely rinse us on his price, which is their right, but I would love the signing.

Glorio

I don't think we would ever confuse him for Scholes or Pirlo, but I think his passing is fine. He can also carry the ball well to break pressure, from what I've seen, and has a hammer of a shot when he gets the chance.

I think they would absolutely rinse us on his price, which is their right, but I would love the signing.
Cheers for that insight mate

Fracture90

So Arteta aka. Pep pequeno is actively looking to bring in Partey? That's particularly interesting imo because so far he's shown intention to have his team play from the back and keep the ball on the ground, basically tiki-taka, or his own version of it. Appears that he deems Partey to be good enough of a passer with good enough positioning to make him a part of his system.

lumeyes

Well Partey has a release clause, around €50m I think.
So Arteta aka. Pep pequeno is actively looking to bring in Partey? That's particularly interesting imo because so far he's shown intention to have his team play from the back and keep the ball on the ground, basically tiki-taka, or his own version of it. Appears that he deems Partey to be good enough of a passer with good enough positioning to make him a part of his system.
I'll organise a one-man protest if Partey goes to Arsenal :)
On a serious note we should go for him if his release clause is only EUR 50 million. Whatched him in the Madrid derby last year and couldn't believe how good he's become. We should forget about all this talk about Rice et al.

Fracture90

I'll organise a one-man protest if Partey goes to Arsenal :)
On a serious note we should go for him if his release clause is only EUR 50 million. Whatched him in the Madrid derby last year and couldn't believe how good he's become. We should forget about all this talk about Rice et al.
Because XenForo is being a cnut and won't let me upload an image, i gotta improvise.

You have my sword!

DeeDee7

Mathew Longstaff. Free agent. 20 years old. Young little scholes like terrier. Honestly dont know why were not throwing a contract at him.

jesperjaap

Think there are probably a good 8/9 defensive midfielders that would be really good signings myself. DOnt understand why people think we are grooming McTominay for the role? He has only com eon for Matic as there is no direct replacement and generally it seems to be when the game is won or Matic is done or playing really poorly. Like Fred I dont think Mctominay is up for the role, less than Fred in fact. He is though a very goo dback up for Pogba when we want a box to box player more defensivel to break up the opposition, so be a good sub for Pogba when we are defending a lead.
Also dont see how Matic signing a contract extension means we wont be lookign at a signing there either.

Saying all that, I actually dont think we will sign one and would be a huge mistake as we arent talkong about Schnederlins here, but genuinely very talented and young dm and majority of them at very decent prices supposedly anyway

Icemav

Once a RW is signed, this has to be the biggest priority of the summer.

All credit to Matic, he has had a second wind this year but the problem now is, when he needs resting or doesn't start we look far more disjointed in midfield.

Roca seems to be a great punt for the fee being banded around, but like many in this thread, I'd go for Zakaria.

Problem is, we've been linked to zero CDMs from any decent source, so I do worry we'll be overliant on Matic again next season.
Roca looks like a Morgan Schneiderlin in his pomp. A dominant midfielder of skill and power. We should definitely sign. Disneyland prices hopefully.

DeeDee7

Roca looks like a Morgan Schneiderlin in his pomp. A dominant midfielder of skill and power. We should definitely sign. Disneyland prices hopefully.
No need to bother. Theres a premier league ready gem in Matt Longstaff there for free atm. If we were willing to spend on Billingham, Longstaff presents greater value.

Skåre Willoch

I think Ndombele could really flourish here, behind Pogba and Bruno. He was simply phenomenal in Lyon.

Can cover a lot of ground, good physically and technically, good tackler, and a very good passer.

Although he is a DM, he might not be enough like Matic in the way that he's not a pure shield for the defense. But he's a lot quicker, so he can cover more ground, making him better in other situations. His technical ability would also be of great use against the high press.

He might be an upgrade on Fred rather than Matic, maybe? I still think he'd be a very good aquisition, with McTominay as Matic' successor.

Shaw Mee Tah Mané

How’s that Koopmeiners fella developing?
Not seen much dutch football last year. But looking at stats from all the potential targets he is the one that looks most like Matic. The main thing is they are both very involved in the build up, taking some risks and still manage to keep a high pass success.

Declan Rice looks even better on paper than when I see him play. Very often DM's that advance with the ball past players is dispossesed more often than Rice is. His only stat that looks a little poor is the number of passes per game, but he is after all playing for West Ham. So % of teams passes he is on level with Matic even there. Considering his age I feel Rice is the best of all potential targets. But if he is too expensive, Koopmeiners is a nice punt!

Reactions: golden_blunder

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
I don't think we will get one this window. We seem to be targeting RW (Sancho), AM (Grealish) and CB this window.

We'd probably hold off until January and then sign a DM and a striker (Ighalo's replacement). Until then McTominay and Matic can rotate with maybe Garner getting a chance here and there as well.

Monks_United

Ward Prowse might not be a bad shout to give us depth when we want to rest Matic. Different to Matic, tackles more and less astute positionally but can pass. Plays in a system we want to carry forward. Could come in relatively cheap and Southampton usually sell for a decent offer.

kidbob

If its a case that we seem to be focusing on Sancho and a centre half then I'd hope we'd be smart enough to go for a cheaper option like Roca. At the very least he's an extra body in there who actually favours the Matic role. Best case scenario is he is an instant asset but otherwise then we can target a proper Matic replacement in the next summer when we can focus more funds for it. I'd back Roca to be, at the very least, better in that role than Fred or McTominay and I'm worried about us running Matic into the ground if we don't bring someone in.

jamesjimmybyrondean

If Partey wasn't available then I wouldn't really be bothered we don't want a DM this window but he's an established and proven top class player and is available for 45m, also playing a position that needs fixing. Cant ignore that

Yagami

Good post resistant
Not a fan of Roca myself. Merino and Arambarri are the midfielders from La Liga I like.

Crashoutcassius

from this thread sounds like we have lots of good options. hard to know how well some of these would stand up to the premier league though. It would be good to have a punt on someone for 30m once our main priorities are filled