Potential Matic Replacements

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
A Fabinho type , would be nice. A dynamic and skilful DM who's a good passer also.

NoPace

Tielemans is not a defensive anchor - he'd just give us yet another player suited for the same type of role as Fred or DvdB.
Yeah agreed. It would be him and McTominay/DM, and Tielemans would make sense to spend on only if we sell Fred or VDB or sell Martial and Pogba and use VDB more as a false 9 or as a 10 with Bruno narrow left (say if Hassenhutl comes and it's 4-2-2-2 and we probably don't have the fullbacks for that).

Spurs should go hard for him, he'd fit well next to Hojbjerg with one of Lo Celso or Ndombele starting as the most attacking of the 3 and the other the first man off the bench/rotating.

I could definitely see him at Madrid, they need to replace Modric and give Kroos more rest. Valverde/Odegaard as the most attacking, Tielemans/Kroos as the 8 options and Casemiro and the rumoured buy Camavinga as the #6 types looks about right. 2 young players fighting for the 10 shirt, Tielemans at 23 gets a couple years to compete and take over from the 31 year old Kroos before he goes back to Germany or heads to Serie A to finish his top level career and Casemiro is 28 but reliant on athleticism so in a couple years when Camavinga is 20 and ready to start every week (if he's the player people seem to think and his accomplishments at 17/18 imply) he can be the backup or replaced by an academy product or cheap-ish buy.

NoPace

I remember the uproar when we replaced Keane with Carrick from Spurs, and now we find it impossible to find anyone fit to lace Carrick's boots. A Carrick-type CDM would give us a new dimension, well two actually both in defence and in attack.
Yeah, Keane-Fred/VDB/McTominay or Carrick-Fred/McTominay/VDB look good to me. As always, if the balance and fit are at least alright, it's more about pure quality than anything else.

fps

By the way I see little reason McTominay can’t grow into the role. He seems at least as good as Fletcher was at the same age.

croadyman

Would really like us to sign Zakaria for this role in the summer, had hoped we might at least get Caicedo to at least see us through until then but it's starting to look like he's going elsewhere and need someone ready to step in when Matic leaves

Sea-Cow

What did people think of Douglas Luiz on Friday? Ignoring his crybaby twitter posts, I thought he was good. He is extremely comfortable on the ball and in receiving it under pressure, and he has a low center of gravity that lets him get in and win one-on-one duels cleanly and effectively. He is also young and could be good here for a long time.

I don't think there is a chance of him coming here, due to his connection to City, but I would be thrilled. I think he is good enough to play a defensive role by himself when we are against "lesser" teams that are sitting back with men behind the ball. So in those games we could potentially play him and Pogba in a 2 man midfield.

Then, against tougher opposition, he could pair with Fred or McT and we would be much stronger defensively.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I wonder if Ole will go for Lisandro Martinez or Koopmeiners. I liked Martinez a couple years ago when he was playing his first game for Ajax, I felt he was playing very well.

If he does go for one of them then we can end up with a LCB and a CDM all in one player.

dutchred

I wonder if Ole will go for Lisandro Martinez or Koopmeiners. I liked Martinez a couple years ago when he was playing his first game for Ajax, I felt he was playing very well.

If he does go for one of them then we can end up with a LCB and a CDM all in one player.
Martinez is not good enough in either position. Only plays for Ajax if Blind is injured or needs a rest

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Martinez is not good enough in either position. Only plays for Ajax if Blind is injured or needs a rest
Oh I heard he was unfairly dropped by some Ajax fans. Maybe he isnt good enough. Hows Koopmeiners?

Seems like people know his name but he never really gets linked to clubs do they?

Dante

Average bang
Would really like us to sign Zakaria for this role in the summer, had hoped we might at least get Caicedo to at least see us through until then but it's starting to look like he's going elsewhere and need someone ready to step in when Matic leaves
One of the great things Ole has done during his rebuild is to gather a squad of players who aren't too injury prone. Regardless of Zakaria's quality, his injury record doesn't seem like a good fit.

dutchred

Oh I heard he was unfairly dropped by some Ajax fans. Maybe he isnt good enough. Hows Koopmeiners?

Seems like people know his name but he never really gets linked to clubs do they?
Kopmeiners is a really good and intelligent player. I really like him. He is like Daley Blind but quicker. Best position is defensive midfielder with a great left foot, but can also fill in as a left sided Center back. Personally I think he is better than Daley was at the same age (and I am an Ajax supporter)

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
What did people think of Douglas Luiz on Friday? Ignoring his crybaby twitter posts, I thought he was good. He is extremely comfortable on the ball and in receiving it under pressure, and he has a low center of gravity that lets him get in and win one-on-one duels cleanly and effectively. He is also young and could be good here for a long time.

I don't think there is a chance of him coming here, due to his connection to City, but I would be thrilled. I think he is good enough to play a defensive role by himself when we are against "lesser" teams that are sitting back with men behind the ball. So in those games we could potentially play him and Pogba in a 2 man midfield.

Then, against tougher opposition, he could pair with Fred or McT and we would be much stronger defensively.
I agree, he was actually very good. Silly to get rolled like that by Pogba in the box and the decision to try and go for it. Overall though, he's been so important for them. Didn't realise he was so young too.

croadyman

One of the great things Ole has done during his rebuild is to gather a squad of players who aren't too injury prone. Regardless of Zakaria's quality, his injury record doesn't seem like a good fit.
Who do you think that we should bring in to replace Matic out of interest

Dante

Average bang
Who do you think that we should bring in to replace Matic out of interest
If you're talking about buying somebody who can be a single pivot, I honestly can't see a clear candidate. A player with that kind of profile is rare in 2020.

But if we're going to persist with a double pivot, both Fred and McTominay can be upgraded. In which case, I think there are a lot of technically gifted midfielders out there with good tackling and workrate.

croadyman

If you're talking about buying somebody who can be a single pivot, I honestly can't see a clear candidate. A player with that kind of profile is rare in 2020.

But if we're going to persist with a double pivot, both Fred and McTominay can be upgraded. In which case, I think there are a lot of technically gifted midfielders out there with good tackling and workrate.
Could someone like Ndidi not be able to provide that

croadyman

Yeah, I like him as a player. But I just don't see Leicester selling. They'll be as difficult to raid as club like Spurs.
Still hoping we can get this Caicedo deal done as think he could offer us something in both an attacking sense and defensive sense as well

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
He did look good on the few occasions I watched Sassoulo. He was playing as the LCM in a two and looked strong defensively and offensively via his ability to pass the ball to a high level. But Italian players seem to favour staying in Serie A if the likes of Juve, Inter etc come calling so it seems a difficult task to prise someone like that away from Italy if the big domestic clubs are showing interest.
My mind keeps returning to this guy. I think he is exactly what we need in.

- Big, strong unit who is tactically adept; can protect a defence and balance a midfield,

- Fantastic range of passing

- A character and presence,

Young and available (but maybe not for us?).

Seems like one of those signings that is so clever and obvious, but that we never do.

Ludens the Red

Frank Kessie without a doubt. He’d actually be signable and would genuinely be a perfect signing in terms of what we’re missing, in terms of replacing Matic and in terms of being an upgrade to the two we have. I don’t watch him every week of course but he looks to have the tools. Maybe @Markolan can expand?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
My mind keeps returning to this guy. I think he is exactly what we need in.

- Big, strong unit who is tactically adept; can protect a defence and balance a midfield,

- Fantastic range of passing

- A character and presence,

Young and available (but maybe not for us?).

Seems like one of those signings that is so clever and obvious, but that we never do.
You never know but he looks like a player, Pirlo would target IMO. But if they end up signing Pogba then that might open the door for us or someone else.

Sea-Cow

Anyone know about Boubacar Kamara at Marseille? I have seen him mentioned on Twitter a few times as a potentially great CDM and CB. He's 21, been a regular in the France youth sides, and has been linked to Barcelona. I know nothing about him really but am just curious if anyone has some opinions on him because I see very high praise.

Sea-Cow

I agree, he was actually very good. Silly to get rolled like that by Pogba in the box and the decision to try and go for it. Overall though, he's been so important for them. Didn't realise he was so young too.
Pogba is great at rolling people, but you're correct it was silly to try to recover instead of letting him go. Because we all know he was going nowhere.

I know I should forget him completely as there is no chance he would come, but I am convinced he would very good here.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Pogba is great at rolling people, but you're correct it was silly to try to recover instead of letting him go. Because we all know he was going nowhere.

I know I should forget him completely as there is no chance he would come, but I am convinced he would very good here.
Yeah, I think City have an option on him too if he ever was to leave, so would be tough if his ultimate goal is to make it there - Fernandinho won't last forever. I think you're right for what it's worth! He'd be a great addition.

ovoxo

Thought that Caicedo kid could have come in for the DM spot in the long term, but seems he’s off elsewhere. I can’t even think who would be able to play that role next to Fred/Mctominay. Surely given how we play they have the be agile and defensively solid. I think a Carrick style tempo player is needed, but who exactly is nimble, defensively solid and a solid passer between the lines?

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Teun Koopmeiners this season:
Eredivisie
14 apps 9 goals 3 assists played every minute

Europa League
6 apps 1 goal 2 assists played every minute

Champions League Qualifiers
2 apps 1 goal player every minute.

He’s a machine, a terrific passer, great defensively, left footed, plays DM/CB great fitness levels, captain, cheap and no major injuries literally at this point a no brainer for a bigger European club.

croadyman

The lack of concrete links to anyone in this position is the most worrying part, you get the impression that this is not even on Ole's priority list let alone near the top of it as it should be with Matic's age.

Red_Orchestra

Koopmeiners for me too, he is a better player than he was last year. He has definitely improved and progressed.
I really doubt that we are in for him though, I have heard absolutely zero rumors of him being linked with us, ever!
The board needs to wake up and snatch him early before its too late.

croadyman

Koopmeiners for me too, he is a better player than he was last year. He has definitely improved and progressed.
I really doubt that we are in for him though, I have heard absolutely zero rumors of him being linked with us, ever!
The board needs to wake up and snatch him early before its too late.
Genuinely think the only way we would try and sign a DM in this window is if Matic goes down with an injury, in regards to the summer there would be many more options on the table but convinced we aren't looking at any of them.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Anyone care to share their thoughts on Ismael Bennacer who plays for AC Milan?. I've watched him a few times and he looks a player very suited to playing in the double pivot for us and he's still young at 23 years old. He's quick, mobile and has good ability on the ball as evidenced below.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I’ve just had a recommendation to watch Boubacar Kamara videos on YouTube and he seems promising. Looks exceptional defensively, very mobile and good on the ball - seems to have a very handy switch of play. Only just turned 21, 18 months left on his contact and linked with both us and Barcelona.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I’ve just had a recommendation to watch Boubacar Kamara videos on YouTube and he seems promising. Looks exceptional defensively, very mobile and good on the ball - seems to have a very handy switch of play. Only just turned 21, 18 months left on his contact and linked with both us and Barcelona.
This the Marseille lad? I feel like he's played quite a number of positions

GledTheRed

Sounds promising.