Potential Matic Replacements

Abraxas

I do think this is one of the major flaws in our squad. It's amazing that Manchester United don't have a player capable of linking defence into attack without sticking Pogba there and effectively limiting many of his attributes, just because he's the one with the technical quality to do it. That can't be right.

I think somebody calm on the ball that is able to do this would have a massive transformational effect on our build up play and control. McTominay and Fred certainly have valuable qualities in certain games but this is not their strong suit.

It is a younger Matic really. Matic looks nearly shot, he's practically picking the ball up off the keeper. His movement seems to have left him. He was the type of player we needed at a certain point but he just looks gone.

The only thing to consider is James Garner has a lot of interesting qualities. The management will have to assess that before going mad with signings in this area.

Brightonian

I was just thinking I'd like to see us try Tuanzebe out in this position a couple of times near the end of the season once top 4 is safe in the league. He's got the skillset, he's played a little bit there for us before, and he'd be a proper defensive DM who could balance Pogba in a midfield two potentially.

I see some Matic-like qualities in him. He's an incisive forward passer, very composed on the ball (for his age and inexperience, at least) and physically imposing.

croadyman

He would be a excellent signing for the more offensive role in the double pivot IMO. He would definitely help improve us as far as progressing the ball goes from a deeper role too. But he's more of a box to box midfielder who would need a more defensively astute player next to him. But I like his profile and he'd be a improvement on McFred IMO.
Yeah definite upgrade on those two but accepted the fact we aren't going to split the partnership up any time soon

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I was just thinking I'd like to see us try Tuanzebe out in this position a couple of times near the end of the season once top 4 is safe in the league. He's got the skillset, he's played a little bit there for us before, and he'd be a proper defensive DM who could balance Pogba in a midfield two potentially.

I see some Matic-like qualities in him. He's an incisive forward passer, very composed on the ball (for his age and inexperience, at least) and physically imposing.
Not a bad shout in all honesty. Especially with people clamouring for Rice.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Tuanzebe? What's he done to suggest he'd be able to do that?

He might be ok stepping in or closing out games there, but no way he's starting regular games there when you want to challenge for the league. It's one of the hardest positions to play.

From what I've seen, Tuanzebe's got enough to prove in his actual position...

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Teun Koopmeiners agent has come out and said he’s ready to move.

I’d agree he’s really pushed on again this season and for my money is comfortably the best CM/DM in the Dutch league.

14 goals and 5 assists and dictating play from deep. Outstanding set piece delivery too! He won’t go to United but he’s some player.

I saw @Adnan mention Aurelien Tchouameni and he’s a really promising DM but I doubt he’s on United’s radar. Even so he’s some player at 21!

croadyman

I’d agree he’s really pushed on again this season and for my money is comfortably the best CM/DM in the Dutch league.

14 goals and 5 assists and dictating play from deep. Outstanding set piece delivery too! He won’t go to United but he’s some player.

I saw @Adnan mention Aurelien Tchouameni and he’s a really promising DM but I doubt he’s on United’s radar. Even so he’s some player at 21!
We should be all over players like these two rather than targeting players with the added English premium like Rice

beingshe7don

Matic is so bad that I would even consider playing De Gea in midfield. Absolutely terrible and I'm gutted that he started the game and was left on there for 60+ min.

Mainoldo

In all honesty.. is he ready to come into our first team without development? If he needs time to adjust Ole ain’t picking him over McFred.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United

Didnt watch the full game but he looked amazing in the highlights against vs PSV, a superb goal with his right foot, and he played such a fantastic cross pass in a counter attack, even in the Eredivise I doubt McFred would see that pass and be able to play it. He has been so consistent for AZ, Boadu and Stengs have their ups and downs but Koopmeiners is always there. It will be good to watch him at the Under 21 championship, it is unfortunate that he might be paired with mediocre midfielders there. I expect him in the Dutch NT after the Euro's.

Devil81

I'd rather see Axel in there than the current Matic myself, at least you know he can run.

When your talking about possible replacements for Matic at this time you could pick anyone as he's completely finished at the top level. It's like watching a finished boxer get back in the ring and you know it's lights out before it's even started.

Multatuli

Supports
Az
Didnt watch the full game but he looked amazing in the highlights against vs PSV, a superb goal with his right foot, and he played such a fantastic cross pass in a counter attack, even in the Eredivise I doubt McFred would see that pass and be able to play it. He has been so consistent for AZ, Boadu and Stengs have their ups and downs but Koopmeiners is always there. It will be good to watch him at the Under 21 championship, it is unfortunate that he might be paired with mediocre midfielders there. I expect him in the Dutch NT after the Euro's.
I totally agree, although our other midfielders are also not that bad. Dani de Wit even scored most goals for U21. But its a shame Gravenberch and Stengs cant play in the U21. Then we would be really strong.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I totally agree, although our other midfielders are also not that bad. Dani de Wit even scored most goals for U21. But its a shame Gravenberch and Stengs cant play in the U21. Then we would be really strong.
De Wit isnt horrible, and has a good sense of timed runs to score, just like Ekkelenkamp. But he isnt exactly a footballing midfielder, which you need against better opponents.

Lemon Moon

Not just because he was outstanding yesterday, but Wilfried Ndidi!
He is good enough to do the job of McFred on his own, which would enable us to explore the 433 holding approach.
His tackling is head and shoulders above anything in that position in the Premier League.
Plus his age, is he 23 now? Seems like he's been that age, well for an age!
And has such valuable league experience.
Dealing with Leicester wouldn't be easy, not one bit & the fee? Probably Maguire territory.

But in my opinion he is the best option to replace Matic

Rocknrolla69er

Can we tempt Barca into selling De Jong

Cash strapped and need sales. Heck we l even give them Martial

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
In all honesty.. is he ready to come into our first team without development? If he needs time to adjust Ole ain’t picking him over McFred.
As with any player new to the PL there is often an adjustment but he’s got every quality to slot in.

I personally think he’ll end up in Italy and end up at Inter or somewhere where he’ll win things. He’s a born leader terrific and consistently good performer and he’s got an eye for a pass that not many in world football possess.
As some know I’m an AZ fan too so I’ve watched him intently over the past 3 seasons and last season he was superb but this season he’s somehow taken things one step further.

For me he’s one of the best midfielders I’ve seen in Eredivise for a very long time.

DomM

Shouldn't we be asking potential Matic and Fred replacements?

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
As with any player new to the PL there is often an adjustment but he’s got every quality to slot in.

I personally think he’ll end up in Italy and end up at Inter or somewhere where he’ll win things. He’s a born leader terrific and consistently good performer and he’s got an eye for a pass that not many in world football possess.

As some know I’m an AZ fan too so I’ve watched him intently over the past 3 seasons and last season he was superb but this season he’s somehow taken things one step further.

For me he’s one of the best midfielders I’ve seen in Eredivise for a very long time.
Great player with a fantastic head on him, his future is very bright. Golden generation for AZ, I wonder who's next from your academy.

Rocknrolla69er

I mean his buy out is €400m so yeah £350 and martial might be about right
As I say Barca owe the banks a lot of money, while also having the cash vacuum that is Messi.

That means he may not go for his release clause.

Apparently over a billion in debt and need to raise 200m this year alone.

Sea-Cow

Not just because he was outstanding yesterday, but Wilfried Ndidi!
He is good enough to do the job of McFred on his own, which would enable us to explore the 433 holding approach.
His tackling is head and shoulders above anything in that position in the Premier League.
Plus his age, is he 23 now? Seems like he's been that age, well for an age!
And has such valuable league experience.
Dealing with Leicester wouldn't be easy, not one bit & the fee? Probably Maguire territory.

But in my opinion he is the best option to replace Matic
He's better than Declan Rice in my opinion and you're right, he would be a gigantic signing for us. But he would cost a bomb and there haven't been any links at all so this won't happen.

Rooney1987

Outside of Rice have we actually been properly linked to any DCM? Doesn't feel like we have which is concerning.

Devil may care

Tchouameni's performance against St Ettiene.

Apparently we are interested in signing a midfielder but only a younger one who can develop so he fits the bill.

I would like to see this as well, I mean we aren't giving him any games at CB or even RB so there'd be no harm in giving him some chances in the holding midfield role and see what happens.

So which league do you see your client going to?

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Watching Koopmeiners today, although the level U-21 isn't the highest, think he would be a great replacement. In ball possession he does really remind me of Matic in his prime, but he is faster, a bit shorter and more explosive. Wand of a left foot, likes to have the ball, the most involved player by far, always looking forward. Defensively he is sound as well. Think our play would improve greatly if we had such a player

Reactions: golden_blunder
Haven't seen anything of Koopmeiners... but purely stat-wise, a central midfielder who's completing just 75% of his passes doesn't seem workable in a team with Bruno/Rashford etc. who lose possession frequently.

He's in the bottom 8% of midfielders for pass completion.

onemanarmy

Watching Koopmeiners today, although the level U-21 isn't the highest, think he would be a great replacement. In ball possession he does really remind me of Matic in his prime, but he is faster, a bit shorter and more explosive. Wand of a left foot, likes to have the ball, the most involved player by far, always looking forward. Defensively he is sound as well. Think our play would improve greatly if we had such a player
I think he looked very sloppy actually.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Haven't seen anything of Koopmeiners... but purely stat-wise, a central midfielder who's completing just 75% of his passes doesn't seem workable in a team with Bruno/Rashford etc. who lose possession frequently.

He's in the bottom 8% of midfielders for pass completion.
His role this season has been to create from deeper. He attempts lots of long balls and hasn’t this season been focussed on short passing. Anyone who has seen him play regularly would know this.

Im assuming you’re just basing it off FBREF stats in which case look at his short passes compared to long passes. It’s not that he can’t play short passes well it’s that for AZ he is the creative hub now. He’s essentially their Bruno but at DM/CM

Multatuli

Supports
Az

From one AZ fan to another, dont forget Midtsjo. Its a hard pick who is the best midfielder between those 2 :)

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
I really think we need to target a DM with playmaking and more technical ability rather than an Ndidi type. Think about what you'd rather pair Fred or McTominay with.

Thought I should repost this from the u21 euros thread with all the Koopmeiners mentions in here.

Koopmeiners was what I expected: take away all his goals from dead ball situations and what's left is a player with a heavy touch that can't handle getting pressed or marked. He needs a lot of time to use that wand of his from open play. Poor man's Bazoer.
No chance he'll be effective with the speed of the EPL. He gets marked out of games plenty in the Eredivisie, which everyone forgets about after he scores a set piece goal.

The only Eredivisie midfielder I could see working out in the prem is Bazoer.

Gravenberch too in a few years. His positioning and defending still needs some work, but he has pretty much everything to make it: tall, strong, technique, touch.

Tommi

Glen Kamara, Glasgow Rangers and Finland. He will move clubs after Euros and someone will be happy next season. He already is a really, really good player and he can be even better when gets to a better league. Skillful, composed and really smart.

Gibb11

Make an offer to Milan they cant refuse to buy Ismael bennacer, 50mill -80 million whatever it takes

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
What about Zakaria from Gladbach. Is he as complete as he appears to be from the clips, and as per the hype? Looks extremely strong and comfortable on the ball too. If so I'm surprised we aren't even linked given he's 25 which is a perfect age and currently at a club that would sell.

Red_toad

What about Zakaria from Gladbach. Is he as complete as he appears to be from the clips, and as per the hype? Looks extremely strong and comfortable on the ball too. If so I'm surprised we aren't even linked given he's 25 which is a perfect age and currently at a club that would sell.
Supposed to be on Citys radar and available for 20 million Euros. Not sure how well he’s recovered from his knee injury, but was very good until it occurred. He‘s 24 by the way and will be moved on this summer, I’d certainly like us to be at the very least scouting him.

sp_107

I take him over most of other names mentioned here

amolbhatia50k

Supposed to be on Citys radar and available for 20 million Euros. Not sure how well he’s recovered from his knee injury, but was very good until it occurred. He‘s 24 by the way and will be moved on this summer, I’d certainly like us to be at the very least scouting him.
I take him over most of other names mentioned here
It's an odd one. He's young, physically very strong, seemingly good at winning the ball back and comfortable on the ball. Am I missing a trick here (other than an injury) or are the lack of links with this player are a bit strange? At City, Rodri has come good so you'd think that would make his signing a little harder. We have a gaping hole in the position.

I've not been following Partey at Arsenal but after him this seems another case of us being surprisingly quiet on a highly rated CM/DM given our lack of quality in this area.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
It's an odd one. He's young, physically very strong, seemingly good at winning the ball back and comfortable on the ball. Am I missing a trick here (other than an injury) or are the lack of links with this player are a bit strange? At City, Rodri has come good so you'd think that would make his signing a little harder. We have a gaping hole in the position.
There are mostly rumours about him going to City or Bayern (because Javi Martinez is ageing and not up to it anymore, and Marc Roca did not impress anyone they also need someone for CM) in Germany. But it looks like he will for sure move on after this season and not stay in Gladbach, just were he will go is not clear yet.

amolbhatia50k

There are mostly rumours about him going to City or Bayern (because Javi Martinez is ageing and not up to it anymore, and Marc Roca did not impress anyone they also need someone for CM) in Germany. But it looks like he will for sure move on after this season and not stay in Gladbach, just were he will go is not clear yet.
Don't you think him and Rodri would be a bit crowded at one club?

Bloody hell are Bayern linked with every player who is rated in Germany?! :lol:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Glen Kamara, Glasgow Rangers and Finland. He will move clubs after Euros and someone will be happy next season. He already is a really, really good player and he can be even better when gets to a better league. Skillful, composed and really smart.
I must admit I haven’t seen enough of him. He might be one who has to move elsewhere first