Potential Pogba replacements

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
anyne remember Have I got News for You replacing John Prescott with a tub of lard? I'd take that (or Prescott) right now. This guy is taking the piss out of Ole, the club and everyone who wants to play for us in the future. Just go

kaiser00

What about a swapsie double of Isco and James. Creativity right there.

Ondrej

100m Would have got you Tielmans, Ndombele and with the 50m left over you'd probably have get B. Fernandes....That midfield is better than Pogba.
I’ve already said this but this was such an obvious thing to do I’m amazed no one at the club thought of it. All of them are class and were very available this summer.

This season is going to be a disaster to be honest.

Ooge_

Supports
Werder
Sell Pogba, make a Deal with Real (Bale + Cabellos) and go All-In by Sancho. Dortmund will sell, if they get an "offer they could not return". This should be a Top-4 Team in der BPL.

------------Martial-------Rashford----------
Bale--------------------------------Sancho
------------Matic---------Cabellos---------
Shaw----Lindelöf-------Maguerie----AWB
-------------------de Gea-------------------

Ranchero

Lets scrap our first team and bring in a dream XI of Begovic, Bong, Mustafi, Kongolo, Lichsteiner, Xhaka, Zambo-Anguissa, Jorginho, Ozil, Benteke and Andy Carroll. ;) The sad thing is that they'd give our first 11 a game.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Sell Pogba, make a Deal with Real (Bale + Cabellos) and go All-In by Sancho. Dortmund will sell, if they get an "offer they could not return". This should be a Top-4 Team in der BPL.

Dortmund might sell Sancho, that doesn't mean he'd want to come here this season. You can't force players to play for you.

Also, if we happily give Bale the extortionate contract he'd demand while still carrying the lesson of Sanchez' extortionate contract then we'll have earned the misery that will inevitably follow.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I would take Dybala, Pjanic and 30m . Add another 40m and get Le Colso.

Pjanic- Matic -Le Colso feeding Dybala,Rashford and Martial should be good enough for Top 4.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I would take Dybala, Pjanic and 30m . Add another 40m and get Le Colso.

Pjanic- Matic -Le Colso feeding Dybala,Rashford and Martial should be good enough for Top 4.
But they wouldn't like the prospect of playing on Thursdays don't you think? And for a rookie manager?

beingshe7don

Saul & Tielemens would be a great replacements for Pogba. However, Saul may be difficult without CL

Fabian Ruiz, Tielemens and Dani Olmo

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
To replace Pogba we need 2 replacement, 1 deep playmaker & 1 attacking mid. Those were his roles last season and we need to make sure we can’t rely on 1 player again to do 2 roles.

NoPace

That midfield 2 would get overrun. If that's our summer you gotta drop one of the forwards and throw Fred or Mctominay in.

reddev3

4231 longstaff and Tielmans playing behind Havertz, give Leverkusan what ever we get for Pogba. I did want Ndombele for the two but that ship has sailed.

Sterling Archer

To replace Pogba we need 2 replacement, 1 deep playmaker & 1 attacking mid. Those were his roles last season and we need to make sure we can’t rely on 1 player again to do 2 roles.
My thought here is, we could actually replace Pogba with a single player because of how consistently he didn't show up for United. He barely did a single, simple role and was often like playing with ten men.

Go ahead and pull up the stats, but fact is with him at the heart of the team we lost matches to relegated teams and without him, beat Liverpool, Chelsea, overturned a 2 nil home deficit to PSG. He is very very replaceable...

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
My thought here is, we could actually replace Pogba with a single player because of how consistently he didn't show up for United.

Go ahead and pull up the stats, but fact is with him at the heart of the team we lost matches to relegated teams and without him, beat Liverpool, Chelsea, overturned a 2 nil home deficit to PSG. He is very very replaceable...

Replacing Pogba with one player is silly. We were depending on him too much last season to do everything. We need to start divide the task to more than one player, can’t keep relying on one single player. What we want is improvement in our squad not just replacing a player but still on the same level.

He was given task to drop deeper to play from the back because we don’t have a ball playing centre back.

He was given task to drop deeper as a deeper role midfield because we don’t have deep playmaker midfield.

He was given task to play in advanced role so he can create chances for our forwards.

We need to get ball playing centre back, a deep playmaker & attacking mid to actually call it as proper replacement.

Fer

4231 longstaff and Tielmans playing behind Havertz, give Leverkusan what ever we get for Pogba. I did want Ndombele for the two but that ship has sailed.
We would need someone more energetic in that midfield of 2.
As you mentioned, N'Dombele could have been perfect. IMO we need someone like Kante/Barella.

Havertz is the best CAM we could get, but it seems that Ole would go for Maddison or Fernandes.

If we end up selling Pogba, I would also go for a 4231 formation if we are able to use Pogba/Lukaku money to improve our midfield and mainly buying a top RW.

Sterling Archer

Replacing Pogba with one player is silly. We were depending on him too much last season to do everything. We need to start divide the task to more than one player, can’t keep relying on one single player. What we want is improvement in our squad not just replacing a player but still on the same level.

He was given task to drop deeper to play from the back because we don’t have a ball playing centre back.

He was given task to drop deeper as a deeper role midfield because we don’t have deep playmaker midfield.

He was given task to play in advanced role so he can create chances for our forwards.

We need to get ball playing centre back, a deep playmaker & attacking mid to actually call it as proper replacement.
I think it would be silly to replace him with just one player, because even if he stayed our midfield needs two other starters.

But from a pure player for player standpoint, I'm of the opinion that as a team, United would be no worse by replacing him with one player. Granted that's 30+ points off the top. But we would still be Better off because of how little he did perform.

The bolded is just such a poor excuse. On the one hand everyone goes on about how much of a "physical specimen " sigh that he is. And then how technically he is. And yet he can't perform even adequately in a varied midfield role when relegation scrapper CMs constantly do just that and have bettered him? I don't believe it.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I think it would be silly to replace him with just one player, because even if he stayed our midfield needs two other starters.

But from a pure player for player standpoint, I'm of the opinion that as a team, United would be no worse by replacing him with one player. Granted that's 30+ points off the top. But we would still be Better off because of how little he did perform.

The bolded is just such a poor excuse. On the one hand everyone goes on about how much of a "physical specimen " sigh that he is. And then how technically he is. And yet he can't perform even adequately in a varied midfield role when relegation scrapper CMs constantly do just that and have bettered him? I don't believe it.
I’m not sure you even read my post entirely.

Patrick08

Why not try and lure the likes of Thiago, lets see if bayern and himself can resist the offer.

Ooge_

Supports
Werder
If Bale is not a prefered swap target in a Pogba Deal, may Ceballos is? I like the "Diamond" and would try to get a Nr. 10 and Nr. 8 to replace Pogba.

--------Martial---------------Rashford---------
---------Eriksen/Isco/Forsberg------------
--------Fred------------------Ceballos--------
-------------------Matic------------------------
Shaw----Lindelöf-------Maguerie-------AWB
------------------de Gea-----------------------

Woodzy

I hope we’ve planned for this. The signs have been there year that was going to leave this summer (hell, he was even kicking up the fuss the year before).

The sale of Pogba and Lukaku should bank us around £200m.

With that in mind we should be spending twice that on players and build a really solid foundation going forward.

Most likely is that the sales will drag and we will refuse to spend any real money until they are done. Also worried that these sales will be seen as an excuse to keep the net spend down this summer.

settembrini

Tielemans to Leicester seems to be 99% done.

Think he would have been a good signing for us and for a very reasonable price. Oh well.

Sterling Archer

I’m not sure you even read my post entirely.
I did mate. My first statement basically agrees with you.

The rest of what I was saying is to emphasize my point - which is that Pogba, as an individual cog in our wheel, was so often loose and rattling around , that after he goes any decent and professional midfielder would put us in a better position than with him doing his half assed job.

Again, I agree, our midfield needs a lot of work. But this thread is about replacing Pogba. And if you're insistent that he can only be successful in one specialized role, then we don't need multiple players to replace him...just one, specialized in a similar role. I know it's a subtle difference in what you're thinking but it's meaningful

rotherham_red

Ceballos, Maddison and Longstaff would go a long way towards a proper restructure of the midfield. Bring those three in and develop the likes of Garner, Gomes and Levitt is what I'd do.

Bestietom

Partey, Savic, Fernandes would be nice for midfield if Pogba goes. I would still keep Matic as back up.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
What many can't really appreciate is the fact that CM has taken a hammering irrespective whether our main assist man and goalscorer leaves it or not. Throughout the past few months we lost two proven midfielders (Herrera and Fellaini). Meanwhile Matic is in decline and will be 1 year older next season while Fred is basically shit. If Pogba leaves then we'll need a real rebuilding here including a mobile DM, a top box to box player and a creative attacking midfielder. This is not something some 21 year old who played for Newcastle 10 times can sort.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Why are so many on here mentioning Longstaff in this conversation? I'd barely heard of him before we were linked and now he's a potential Pogba replacement?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I did mate. My first statement basically agrees with you.

The rest of what I was saying is to emphasize my point - which is that Pogba, as an individual cog in our wheel, was so often loose and rattling around , that after he goes any decent and professional midfielder would put us in a better position than with him doing his half assed job.

Again, I agree, our midfield needs a lot of work. But this thread is about replacing Pogba. And if you're insistent that he can only be successful in one specialized role, then we don't need multiple players to replace him...just one, specialized in a similar role. I know it's a subtle difference in what you're thinking but it's meaningful
It’s so simple but you are thinking way too much into it. We used Pogba as no 8 & no 10 to be deep playmaker & attacking mid at the same time. Replacing him is basically back to the original point that we need to strengthen those two roles when he leaves.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Tielemans to Leicester seems to be 99% done.

Think he would have been a good signing for us and for a very reasonable price. Oh well.
Tielemens would have been a decent replacement for Matic but he's not good enough to replace Pogba's attacking output.

scots devil

Would take money and ceballos, then take the money to Napoli for Ruiz, add Fernandes with N'Didi to play behind them and finally when Lukaku leaves get Ben Yedder.

________________Ben Yedder________________

_________________Fernandes________________

______Ruiz________Cebellos______Fred______

___________________N'Didi___________________

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Tielemens should be the deepest midfielder or the least adventurous of a midfield 3.
Tielemans has played as a deeper midfielder according to Jonathan Johnson who covers French football. But as a deeper player he's been rubbish basically.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
What about a swapsie double of Isco and James. Creativity right there.
The thing you've got to think of, and it's a big deal, is what player in their right mind is going to say "my club is buying their best player and yet they still didn't get a Champions League place. Why the FECK would I want to go there?"