Potential RB Options

Murray3007

Let's have a butchers then

if we are looking at the likes of Aarons or Lampety then would much rather take a punt on him, like I said, I would prefer just to wait to see how laird does as he looks excellent going forward as well

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Ole surely is looking at another option. Whether it's what we asking him to do or his abilities taking him there, AWB has shown some real damage could be done by somebody with a certain level of footballing ability.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I don't see us buying an option for RB as we have Laird in reserve.
Give him half a season in the Championship and if he stays fit i can see him being rated like aarons

AWB, Laird, Shaw, Telles and Williams can cover LB and RB and possibly sell dalot and use the funds on a area of the team we are not so strong (plus Jurado and Fernandez potentially coming through in a couple of years as well)

AWB and Shaw more defensive, Laird and Telles able to cover wing back or games where we really want to have an overlapping full back

really dont see the sense in spending 30 million or whatever on a lampty or aarons

GledTheRed

Give him half a season in the Championship and if he stays fit i can see him being rated like aarons

AWB, Laird, Shaw, Telles and Williams can cover LB and RB and possibly sell dalot and use the funds on a area of the team we are not so strong (plus Jurado and Fernandez potentially coming through in a couple of years as well)

AWB and Shaw more defensive, Laird and Telles able to cover wing back or games where we really want to have an overlapping full back

really dont see the sense in spending 30 million or whatever on a lampty or aarons
Totally agree and i don't think we will for those reasons you outlined.

Devil81

I don't know if he's been mentioned but I can't for the life of me understand why Mourinho sold Kyle Walker Peters, I'd defo have him at United as competition for AWB.

I don't know if he's been mentioned but I can't for the life of me understand why Mourinho sold Kyle Walker Peters, I'd defo have him at United as competition for AWB.
has he been playing well? At Spurs he looked like a typical young player who bursts onto the scene, and plays out of his skin for a few matches, then comes back down to earth, and can’t recapture it.

Trequarista10

Ole was praising AWB in the recent press conference and predicts he will improve his attacking qualities in the next year or two.

Given his price tag and age, plus some other young full backs on the books, I just can't see us signing another young right back. I could however see a move for a cheap/older right back, a Cavani style stop gap option. The Trippier links prior to his ban make sense.

Another option I'd like would be to sign a player who can be deployed either as a marauding full back or on the right wing, as this would allow for rotation and ensuring enough minutes to keep everyone happy. However this type of player is rare and I can't think of many who fit the criteria off the top of my head.Hakimi, Cuadrado or Lucas Vasquez perhaps?

AgentSmith

I think Trippier would have been a fantastic January signing at a reasonable price.

Would have provided a genuine outlet for our anaemic right hand side and allowed us to play an effective diamond system in certain matches.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
How about Hans Hateboer?

27, in his prime, full Dutch international, 4/5 seasons now of top level experience with Atalanta - immediate offensive upgrade and unlikely to be a big price tag (Atalanta seem to deal fairly with clubs and he's out of contract in 2022).

Tallis

I think Ole is totally in the market for a backup RB. He does not rate Dalot and thinks Williams needs more games and experience. I won’t be surprised if he prioritises a backup RB over a DM in the summer.

SAFMUTD

Matty Cash from Aston Villa seriously impressed me when we played against them. We should keep tags on him.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Ander Capa. If we could bag him he’d be a great alternative at a good age.

Trippier makes a lot of sense too.

croadyman

Ole was praising AWB in the recent press conference and predicts he will improve his attacking qualities in the next year or two.

Given his price tag and age, plus some other young full backs on the books, I just can't see us signing another young right back. I could however see a move for a cheap/older right back, a Cavani style stop gap option. The Trippier links prior to his ban make sense.

Another option I'd like would be to sign a player who can be deployed either as a marauding full back or on the right wing, as this would allow for rotation and ensuring enough minutes to keep everyone happy. However this type of player is rare and I can't think of many who fit the criteria off the top of my head.Hakimi, Cuadrado or Lucas Vasquez perhaps?
Yeah my gut feeling is that we are looking at an older experienced option in the RB area as well

croadyman

I think Ole is totally in the market for a backup RB. He does not rate Dalot and thinks Williams needs more games and experience. I won’t be surprised if he prioritises a backup RB over a DM in the summer.
I really hope he doesn't leave the CDM issue for yet another summer

NoPace

Yeah my gut feeling is that we are looking at an older experienced option in the RB area as well
Trippier really does make sense in terms of our squad if the price is right and he's happy to play 20 times a year.

Ricardo Pereira maybe too but his deal expires in 2023 and Leicester might want to sell with 2 years left (they have bought Castagne and James has been great, so selling him and buying a left-footed attacking fullback makes perfect sense), though presumably they'd want to sell abroad and he would (if he recovers 100%) walk into PSGs side and even would be an upgrade for Barcelona or Bayern (who need an attacking RB to compete with Pavard unless they really love Sarr which I assume they don't) and even at Juve, Cuadrado is 32 so might decline soon (and would actually fit well here but presumably won't be leaving Juve and it would be a Cavani style 1-2 year deal, but if they decide to spend big on an RB I could see it), and maybe Real. So my guess is he moves abroad.

I wonder if Wolves and us regret not doing something like Doherty coming here for say 10M and a 1 or 2 year Dalot loan for him to give them fullback depth they need instead of 14M from Spurs and a decent sized hole in their squad behind Semedo and at LB where they didn't rate Vinagre and Ait-Nouri is talented but a teenager. Not sure he'd be a big upgrade but we would have an attacking option to backup AWB and with us concentrating our play down the left, his threat at the back post and comfort in a RWB role in a 5 at the back system would probably have been enough for him to be useful.

Also, he's only rumoured to go to mid-table teams, but James Tavernier is going to have another 15+ assist season (he's already at 10+ goals but I assume mostly pens) but at 29 it's not insane to think he could be a good fit for here a couple years as a natural wing-back and offensive backup option to AWB, and presumably he's a leader if he's their captain, and it's not like we couldn't sweeten the deal with a loan of a player like Lingard, Pellistri or Brandon Williams or even a 2 year loan of a promising player like Mejbri who could become a star there.

croadyman

Trippier really does make sense in terms of our squad if the price is right and he's happy to play 20 times a year.

Ricardo Pereira maybe too but his deal expires in 2023 and Leicester might want to sell with 2 years left (they have bought Castagne and James has been great, so selling him and buying a left-footed attacking fullback makes perfect sense), though presumably they'd want to sell abroad and he would (if he recovers 100%) walk into PSGs side and even would be an upgrade for Barcelona or Bayern (who need an attacking RB to compete with Pavard unless they really love Sarr which I assume they don't) and even at Juve, Cuadrado is 32 so might decline soon (and would actually fit well here but presumably won't be leaving Juve and it would be a Cavani style 1-2 year deal, but if they decide to spend big on an RB I could see it), and maybe Real. So my guess is he moves abroad.

I wonder if Wolves and us regret not doing something like Doherty coming here for say 10M and a 1 or 2 year Dalot loan for him to give them fullback depth they need instead of 14M from Spurs and a decent sized hole in their squad behind Semedo and at LB where they didn't rate Vinagre and Ait-Nouri is talented but a teenager. Not sure he'd be a big upgrade but we would have an attacking option to backup AWB and with us concentrating our play down the left, his threat at the back post and comfort in a RWB role in a 5 at the back system would probably have been enough for him to be useful.

Also, he's only rumoured to go to mid-table teams, but James Tavernier is going to have another 15+ assist season (he's already at 10+ goals but I assume mostly pens) but at 29 it's not insane to think he could be a good fit for here a couple years as a natural wing-back and offensive backup option to AWB, and presumably he's a leader if he's their captain, and it's not like we couldn't sweeten the deal with a loan of a player like Lingard, Pellistri or Brandon Williams or even a 2 year loan of a promising player like Mejbri who could become a star there.
Well in regards to Tavernier who I have only seen admittedly when Rangers play Celtic in the old firm derby do you think he is capable of following in Tierney's footsteps at Arsenal and making the step up to this league then. I am also a fan of Ricardo Pereira but seems very unlikely that Leicester are going to let him go with the way Rodgers is building something at the club right now

Rocknrolla69er

Matty Cash from Aston Villa seriously impressed me when we played against them. We should keep tags on him.
Would definatley go with this
Watched the game and thought exactly the same, has a wicked delivery , defended well , very athletic

Kyonn

We're not signing another RB. Just to make it through this season and then next it's AWB and Laird.

Judas

Open to offers
We're not signing another RB. Just to make it through this season and then next it's AWB and Laird.
Classic Redcafe post. Putting all the faith in the world on a youngster who has barely played a game for the first team. We're after an older RB, you might not like it but its true.

Kyonn

Classic Redcafe post. Putting all the faith in the world on a youngster who has barely played a game for the first team. We're after an older RB, you might not like it but its true.
Care to make a wager on United signing a RB before this window closes?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Been watching him lately and ,I'm in agreement, I think he looks really promising.

Teja

Anyone can write anything on Twitter, and they often do just to get the clicks.
True, but his positioning has been pretty suspect even against Pool.

I still think he's good enough to be #1 for United. Probably the best 1v1 defender in the league and his attacking play has come on leaps and bounds. Won't hurt to have a bit of experience for rotation / back up when he suffers from poor form.

Kyonn

Did I say we'll sign one this window? We won't. I think we'd have bought Trippier if it wasn't for his issues.
So Trippier would just agree to go from being a starter on the top team in La Liga to AWB backup?

NoPace

Well in regards to Tavernier who I have only seen admittedly when Rangers play Celtic in the old firm derby do you think he is capable of following in Tierney's footsteps at Arsenal and making the step up to this league then. I am also a fan of Ricardo Pereira but seems very unlikely that Leicester are going to let him go with the way Rodgers is building something at the club right now
I've literally seen him play for like a half an hour so absolutely no idea but the stats are wild and this is his last chance for a big move, and presumably Rangers would be happy to get like 8M and a talented player on loan for a year or two considering their big buy last year (Roofe's been a hit I guess) cost 5M so basically they'd get 3 first choice players for one if they buy a guy for 5M a guy for 3M and get Garner, Brandon Williams or Axel or Pellistri on loan from us.

But I don't think we need a great backup for Wan-Bissaka. Just someone who can really pass and create when teams force the ball out there as a tactic and to play RWB if we go 3 at the back and give AWB a rest. Like this coming game against Sheffield, we'd be playing Trippier or whoever if we had him.

Giggsy13

So Trippier would just agree to go from being a starter on the top team in La Liga to AWB backup?
Trippier is apparently a boyhood United fan, so yes he probably would take the chance to come here to compete with AWB for minutes. But that chance has passed now in light of his suspension.

RkkMan

Anyone can write anything on Twitter, and they often do just to get the clicks.
Laurie is one of the best and most reliable journos with Utd news he`s not a Mirror/Daily Star journalist and it makes sense. Laird is still too young and needs a season out on loan(hence why he`s at MK Dons and may stay there longer), TFM is gone Williams is garbage and also needs a loan and Dalot is not in Ole`s plans at all. Ole got Telles an experienced attacking LB to compete with Shaw and its worked and based off the circumstances I`ve mentioned he`ll do the same with AWB and Trippier makes a lot of sense with him being English, a very good attacking RB, 30 years old so a short term fix and contract expiring in 2022 so he`ll be cheap

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
I like Laurie Whitwell but this is a shocking take, how that goal is Wan-Bissaka's fault is beyond me - he's on the far side nowhere near the action. :lol:

You defend how you are asked to in the context of the system; Solskjaer specifically said United don't play the offside trap and the run should have been tracked. Therefore that's Pogba's fault for not tracking the runner, Bailly for stepping up and trying to play him offside, and somewhat Maguire for ball-watching and getting pulled out of position.

SAFMUTD

We should, as of today we have no replacement for AWB whos not good enough himself. Dalot is on loan and I dont think he'll come back, nor I do think Williams is good enough as back up. Having all our hope is Laird who, while having tremendous potential, hasnt proved he's ready nor that he can be injury free for long periods would be really risky for us.

We should buy a good RB, if Laird is as good as we think he is then he'll move up in the pecking order and we will sell the one that went down.

Not wanting to buy a RB because of Laird is the same as if we wouldnt want to sign a CB because Mengi or a striker because of Hugill.

Giggsy13

I like Laurie Whitwell but this is a shocking take, how that goal is Wan-Bissaka's fault is beyond me - he's on the far side nowhere near the action. :lol:

You defend how you are asked to in the context of the system; Solskjaer specifically said United don't play the offside trap and the run should have been tracked. Therefore that's Pogba's fault for not tracking the runner, Bailly for stepping up and trying to play him offside, and somewhat Maguire for ball-watching and getting pulled out of position.
AWB played Lookman onside. Agree that it probably falls harder on Pogba and our CBs but a lot of focus has made about AWB’s lack of positional awareness at times, which is probably why the focus has been on him rather than those who are greater at fault for that goal.

Kyonn

We should, as of today we have no replacement for AWB whos not good enough himself. Dalot is on loan and I dont think he'll come back, nor I do think Williams is good enough as back up. Having all our hope is Laird who, while having tremendous potential, hasnt proved he's ready nor that he can be injury free for long periods would be really risky for us.

We should buy a good RB, if Laird is as good as we think he is then he'll move up in the pecking order and we will sell the one that went down.

Not wanting to buy a RB because of Laird is the same as if we wouldnt want to sign a CB because Mengi or a striker because of Hugill.
Guess we'll have to wait 'til the summer to see but my money is on no RB signing, especially not Trippier.

SAFMUTD

Guess we'll have to wait 'til the summer to see but my money is on no RB signing, especially not Trippier.
I think we'll definitely be in for a CDM and a RB, but as you say well see.

Kyonn

I think we'll definitely be in for a CDM and a RB, but as you say well see.
I can see a DM if there's an opportunistic signing out there, like say Leeds go down and make Philips available.

SAFMUTD

We're pretty welp covered in midfield aren't we?

And AWB is really young, i think he'll be fine long term
Is not just about quantity but quality as well, we have Fred and Matic as CDMs. Matic is aging and has been moved aside slowly, besides that we have McTominay and VDB who are not CDMs and Garner who is but still too young and uproven to be considered as a realiable option.

I think a CDM is a priority, first because we need to start controling games against top oposition. We are exposed everytime we get a high pressing team and I think thats is mostly to the fact that we have players like AWB and Fred who are not "press resistant" as they say.

I do think AWB will be fine in the long term as well, but we've seen how much good has it done to Shaw having Telles as competition, I think the same will happen with AWB with a proper player that can challenge him.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
AWB played Lookman onside. Agree that it probably falls harder on Pogba and our CBs but a lot of focus has made about AWB’s lack of positional awareness at times, which is probably why the focus has been on him rather than those who are greater at fault for that goal.
Hard to tell if Bailly is as well from some of the angles I've seen. But in the context of that attacking situation AWB isn't the one taking an action that's obviously contrary to Ole's instructions. Both Pogba and Bailly are so the fault has to lie with them.