Potential RB Options

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
What about Max Aarons?

I remember us being linked a season ago. Now that Norwhich are relegated we should be able to get him for under 20 million pounds. Has he been decent this season?
No, he hasn’t even made the Norwich team consistently. Brandon Williams has outperformed him. Even Norwich fans have been griping about him this season

Chief123

He was much younger then. I’ve liked him and his attitude watching spanish league but Diaz destroyed him.
It would be hard to judge him at Villareal as they rarely expose their defenders as they tend to defend compactly as a team. I remember him not being the quickest and Maguiresque in his turning. Not sure he would suit a high line pressing team we aspire to be.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It would be hard to judge him at Villareal as they rarely expose their defenders as they tend to defend compactly as a team. I remember him not being the quickest and Maguiresque in his turning. Not sure he would suit a high line pressing team we aspire to be.
No probably not. I was just thinking he could be a useful utility man like OShea

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
This, he looks a player
Has he been good? I remember last season or start of this season where he had alot of performances but I've been hearing him less recently.

Aaron's is someone I hardly hear about having good performances but is rated highly for some reason.

Theo88

Has anyone watched Tavarnier from Rangers play? He’s been solid in the european competitions and he’s making a name for himself.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I personally feel there's no need to spend on the fullback positions. Laird could be given a chance and who knows, with the coaching abilities of Ten Hag, we could even get Williams or Alvaro Fernandez to step up. That's enough bodies, even if we're getting rid of one of our current options.

I think there are much more pressing issues in the squad like the midfield and strikers. I don't think it's realistic to expect us to sign 6-7 players in all the different positions, especially when Ten Hag is reputed to be a good coach.

croadyman

Has anyone watched Tavarnier from Rangers play? He’s been solid in the european competitions and he’s making a name for himself.
I can't decide whether he can make the step up to this league like Tierney & Robertson or just flop

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
With AWB and Williams rumoured to be available it seems more likely that we might actually sign a right-back this summer.

Other than Timber (who is a CB really) have we actually been linked with any right-backs?

croadyman

With AWB and Williams rumoured to be available it seems more likely that we might actually sign a right-back this summer.

Other than Timber (who is a CB really) have we actually been linked with any right-backs?
Yeah worryingly quiet on the RB front

RU Devil

Sergino Dest has popped up as a possibility. Ajax-trained, so ETH is probably aware. Probably lazy journalism, though.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
I've been really impressed by Matty Cash since he signed for Villa. Tidy on the ball, quick and aggressive going forward and can put a decent ball in the box. Pretty sound defensively and terrific work-rate and energy as well.

Not sure how gettable he'd be as he has a long contract but he'd be a really good option if you want somebody in their prime years who's well established.

Other than that - prospects like Malo Gusto (who looks like he's putting up Trent-esque progressive passing numbers at Lyon), Tino Livramento and Pedro Porro (although I think City have a cheap buyback clause) will probably be top of the list.

Doesn't look like this position is gonna be addressed this off-season though so I think Utd will role with Dalot +1 for the season and address this in 2023.

Bojan Djordjic

I can't decide whether he can make the step up to this league like Tierney & Robertson or just flop
Too old to be considered surely? Seems to have the ability alright but if we want to start building a squad, I think we need to get away from the short term moves. 30 isn't that old but I suspect unless you're an athletic freak like Dani Alves or Kyle Walker, it doesn't make sense to be buying players >30 unless on short-term contracts.

Bojan Djordjic

I've been really impressed by Matty Cash since he signed for Villa. Tidy on the ball, quick and aggressive going forward and can put a decent ball in the box. Pretty sound defensively and terrific work-rate and energy as well.

Not sure how gettable he'd be as he has a long contract but he'd be a really good option if you want somebody in their prime years who's well established.

Other than that - prospects like Malo Gusto (who looks like he's putting up Trent-esque progressive passing numbers at Lyon), Tino Livramento and Pedro Porro (although I think City have a cheap buyback clause) will probably be top of the list.

Doesn't look like this position is gonna be addressed this off-season though so I think Utd will role with Dalot +1 for the season and address this in 2023.
Love the look of Malo Gusto. Think he's going to be a proper player, already putting up big numbers at just 19 and definitely passes the eye test. Would be slightly wary of TIno coming off an injury but he was someone I thought we should have taken directly from Chelsea last year when he refused to renew his contract.

I love Lamptey too but as with Livramento, he's coming off a very injury disrupted season and has already had multiple hamstring injuries which is a worry for someone who relies on his explosiveness so much. Ridle Baku is another one but I think he's more of a wing-back winger than a full back.

NoPace

Matty Cash is quality but he'd be 50 million, not even kidding.
Yeah, Villa players I think will cost a ton, as they seem to have money based on their spending.

Cash is another player (Forest player of the year then moved to Villa for 14) that we should have bought after he excelled in the Champo as a young player, like Olise or Eze. Liverpool may have done it well this year with Carvahlo based on his stats. At least we have Garner, who fits the bill.

Lentwood

A few have mentioned Matty Cash...again, I watched Villa vs Burnley last night (of course, I have seen him play a few times but paid closer attention last night) and I am just not convinced he's good enough.

For the money Cash would cost, we'd want to be certain we're getting a huge upgrade - someone on par with TAA or Reece James.

Cash is not that level and will never be in my opinion. Good, top-half PL RB....never likely to be elite.

UpWithRivers

Anyone know the situation with ridle baku at Wolfsburg? I remember he was immense for the under 21's when I saw him a year or two back but I havnt really heard much about him since. Has he stagnated? He seemed to have everything

Frank Grimes

A few have mentioned Matty Cash...again, I watched Villa vs Burnley last night (of course, I have seen him play a few times but paid closer attention last night) and I am just not convinced he's good enough.

For the money Cash would cost, we'd want to be certain we're getting a huge upgrade - someone on par with TAA or Reece James.

Cash is not that level and will never be in my opinion. Good, top-half PL RB....never likely to be elite.
Agree. Watched him closely last night and I don't think he is quite good enough for a top team.

jesperjaap

Liverminto?
The perfect option for me....if he hadnt had a season endign injury and probably out for several months. I think Gusto if he is around £20m or under would be a good option, Likes of Cash/Lamptey just be too expensive whether they are good enough or not.

GledTheRed

The perfect option for me....if he hadnt had a season endign injury and probably out for several months. I think Gusto if he is around £20m or under would be a good option, Likes of Cash/Lamptey just be too expensive whether they are good enough or not.
Despite his positive start he was getting dropped for Walker Peters who is also another good option tbf.

forevrared

Sergino Dest has popped up as a possibility. Ajax-trained, so ETH is probably aware. Probably lazy journalism, though.
Seems like every couple months US sources say Barca want to get rid and then walk it back - which sort of makes sense considering he joined while Barca were bargain basement shopping. He’s sort of the antithesis of Wan-Bissaka - great going forward but a bit suspect defensively, though he’s gotten better.

Reiver

Calvin Ramsay from Aberdeen. He's only 18, so not ready to be our main starter just now but I think he could well do a Robertson or a Tierney. I've seen him live this season and he was impressive.

Theo88

Nowhere near the standard required in my opinion, granted based on only seeing maybe 5 Rangers games this season.

I honestly haven’t followed the guy or Rangers at all. Just checked his stats and for an RB they’re mind boggling (europa).

Bojan Djordjic

I honestly haven’t followed the guy or Rangers at all. Just checked his stats and for an RB they’re mind boggling (europa).
I don't think it's fair to say he's nowhere near the standard (as was said by someone else). A data analytics company on twitter that I follow called Smarterscout did some analysis on him and assert that based on his current metrics, he's one of the best fullbacks in global football. This account identified Bruno Guimaires as having world class potential when he was playing in the Brazilian leagues so they are not bullshi*ters and have been spot on with lots of prospects since I've followed them.

All that said, for where we are and the amount of time it will take us to have a seriously competitive team, it doesn't make sense to buy players of that age. We need players to develop along with the team, and the likes of Tavernier will be too old at the very time we will want stability. The Cavani and Ronaldo have highlighted how short-sighted this approach can be.

Lentwood

Haven't most of his goals been penalties though? That's what the commentator implied anyway...could check, can't be bothered.

I watched three Rangers games when Amad first went on loan and I thought Tavernier was miles off even our current level. Thought the same in the final to be honest.

DSG

Seems like every couple months US sources say Barca want to get rid and then walk it back - which sort of makes sense considering he joined while Barca were bargain basement shopping. He’s sort of the antithesis of Wan-Bissaka - great going forward but a bit suspect defensively, though he’s gotten better.
I really like Dest as a wingback. He needs cover, either from a 3rd CB or a heady DM that can cover deep and side to side like Fabinho. Of course we don’t have that type of player, so…