Potential RB Options

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He managed 1558 minutes the season just gone and only 891 the season before that. That makes him a huge gamble in terms of both experience and fitness. You couldn't really expect him to play even half our matches and, for the price Brighton would surely be asking, that just doesn't look like a good deal.
So quantity is not good, what about the quality?

It always felt to me that he had a huge burst of performance and kind of mellowed down a bit after that.

didz

So quantity is not good, what about the quality?

It always felt to me that he had a huge burst of performance and kind of mellowed down a bit after that.
Probably teams adjusting to his ridiculous pace? I suppose he also entered the scene with a decent run of games, whereas his game time has been a little fragmented since owing to injuries and Veltman.

Be interesting to hear from a Brighton fan, because I'm not sure how much of his game time is down to injuries or how much might be due to his and others' form.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Sergino Dest has popped up as a possibility. Ajax-trained, so ETH is probably aware. Probably lazy journalism, though.
I don't trust any of our right backs either.... but then again I don't rust a paper that uses the word "reportedly" (in this case The Sun)

"And Erik Ten Hag has reportedly said to want to sign Sergino Dest from Barca, as he does not trust any of his current right-backs"

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
No, he hasn’t even made the Norwich team consistently. Brandon Williams has outperformed him. Even Norwich fans have been griping about him this season
I remember when we played them last season. Cantwell was their best player on the day by far (not that I'd want him either)

Mmm-Qatarian

It's from our good friends at Sport and not a particularly ground-breaking report even if it is true but thought it worth sharing here anyway.

Hoof the ball

It's from our good friends at Sport and not a particularly ground-breaking report even if it is true but thought it worth sharing here anyway.
So, we cannot directly contribute to Frenkie's deferred wages, however, if we plug a gap in our squad with Dest, we free up some wages for Barca and pay some of Frenkie's deferred wages through a separate transfer deal.

Mmm-Qatarian

So, we cannot directly contribute to Frenkie's deferred wages, however, if we plug a gap in our squad with Dest, we free up some wages for Barca and pay some of Frenkie's deferred wages through a separate transfer deal.
Once again, it's Sport so I'd take it with a gigantic pinch of salt. With that said, I could see there being something to us at least being interested in Dest. It's widely reported that Ten Hag would like a right back and he is also known for preferring his ex-players. Dest fulfills both criteria.

Sea-Cow

Once again, it's Sport so I'd take it with a gigantic pinch of salt. With that said, I could see there being something to us at least being interested in Dest. It's widely reported that Ten Hag would like a right back and he is also known for preferring his ex-players. Dest fulfills both criteria.
Thats a good point. And, I think he is decent. Not a world class talent by any means but I'd take him over Dalot.

Bojan Djordjic

Who is going to be our right back cover this season? Lots of reports that United are willing to accept offers for AWB and Williams in addition to others. Presumably with Laird gone, someone has to stay to provide cover/competition.

CM10

Who is going to be our right back cover this season? Lots of reports that United are willing to accept offers for AWB and Williams in addition to others. Presumably with Laird gone, someone has to stay to provide cover/competition.
If we manage to offload Wan-Bissaka I would like to think we'll try for a first choice RB and Dalot becomes the squad option. That might be a little optimistic though.

croadyman

If we manage to offload Wan-Bissaka I would like to think we'll try for a first choice RB and Dalot becomes the squad option. That might be a little optimistic though.
Yeah that's what I'm hoping happens

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Biggest problem is the complete lack of available stand out RB options.

Unless we miraculously go in for Hakimi who is going to be that marauding progressive RB?

NoPace

Biggest problem is the complete lack of available stand out RB options.

Unless we miraculously go in for Hakimi who is going to be that marauding progressive RB?
IF we're going to sign De Jong and play him as a 6 I think the RB we sign needs to be able to stop counters and pass the ball more than play on the touchline, where it looks like Ten Hag will have his wingers. So less of a pure burner might be needed, more of a guy who could play in midfield. Again, not signing Fabinho that summer hurts us, but a guy like that who has played DM and RB would fit well. Maybe someone from La Liga, as their RBs tend to be tidy like Azpilicueta and Carvajal in possession, though only Odriozola comes to mind, and he's a classic overlapping speedy skinny guy.

It wouldn't be very exciting, but Leicester seem to need cash badly to sign a starting RW, so maybe Castagne?

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
IF we're going to sign De Jong and play him as a 6 I think the RB we sign needs to be able to stop counters and pass the ball more than play on the touchline, where it looks like Ten Hag will have his wingers. So less of a pure burner might be needed, more of a guy who could play in midfield. Again, not signing Fabinho that summer hurts us, but a guy like that who has played DM and RB would fit well. Maybe someone from La Liga, as their RBs tend to be tidy like Azpilicueta and Carvajal in possession, though only Odriozola comes to mind, and he's a classic overlapping speedy skinny guy.

It wouldn't be very exciting, but Leicester seem to need cash badly to sign a starting RW, so maybe Castagne?
And for me I don’t see why in the short term Dalot can’t do that.

I don’t see a significant upgrade other than Hakimi and even then have no idea if he’d move. Possible given they have signed Mukiele?

FatTails

Oh god. I don’t want to deal with Mr. Love Handles again

jesperjaap

He’s too young. I love the guy but he needs more time at a club like Lyon to develop. I’m hopping in another season we go for him.
Think thats the only negative for him. He does look a little bit raw in trms of decision making, only to be expecged.

See some others dismissing some of the young options to wait and see what happens with Laird. I think we should dimiss that, we had similar thoughts on Brandon Williams and even Dalot when he arrived....none of whom as of yet have proved anything here, WIlliams did well for a while., but they need to prove themselves.

Despite his age and rawness, I would have Gusto for sure though personally. Even with our apparent total lack of ability to sell anyone....surely Bissaka/Williams leaving pays for Gusto.

I think all our current options personally including Laird and especially Bissaka are an upgrade on Dalot though. Despite people concerns over attacking options....for me currently lack of one cm when two are needed and Dalot starting a right back are huge concerns reaching the start of the season, why do so many seem content with DAlot this seaon, really dont get it, he is a really poor full abck for me, even prefer Telles over him as a full back

jesperjaap

I don’t see a significant upgrade other than Hakimi and even then have no idea if he’d move. Possible given they have signed Mukiele?
I am biased as I think he is garbage personally, but dismissing my opinion, do you genuinely not see a significant upgrade on Dalot, I think we have that alread and half of them are leaving. Nobody really tried to sign Dalot when we seemed prepared to sell, Milan sent him back despite all these reports of him doing well there....he didnt.

Really seems to me like a potential wonder kid that eventually becomes a journeyman

Teja

I am biased as I think he is garbage personally, but dismissing my opinion, do you genuinely not see a significant upgrade on Dalot, I think we have that alread and half of them are leaving. Nobody really tried to sign Dalot when we seemed prepared to sell, Milan sent him back despite all these reports of him doing well there....he didnt.

Really seems to me like a potential wonder kid that eventually becomes a journeyman
Yeah Dalot isn't that great. We've gotten so used to attacking mediocrity with guys like Young, Valencia, AwB etc that we forgot what a technically competent full back can do.

I'm being a bit unfair to Valencia I know but Shaw demonstrated during a brief period of good form how great it is to have an attacking fullback.

jesperjaap

Yeah Dalot isn't that great. We've gotten so used to attacking mediocrity with guys like Young, Valencia, AwB etc that we forgot what a technically competent full back can do.

I'm being a bit unfair to Valencia I know but Shaw demonstrated during a brief period of good form how great it is to have an attacking fullback.
Im middle aged so bit mor eold school. I think a lot of modern full backs are not great defensively and certainly include Dalot in that category so defensively i worry most about him.......but what makes that even worse, he isnt even very good going forward either, thats why I dont get it at all. Would be happy for him to have a great season and proved wrong, but jus tnever saw it in him at all since he moveed here on when he went on loan. We have qutie a few bang average players at best that have been here under the 4th manager now that i cant understand how they are still here, Dalot is actually top of that list for me

NoPace

I think he is what those pie chart stats the Athletic loves so much suggest he is: a 7/10 quality fullback at everything. Which at 23 isn't bad. If he can improve in one major respect he'll be an okay starter for us.

But we need a 2nd one anyways for this season and ideally we'd upgrade there.

Don't see Hakimi moving to us without CL football and Mukiele was the price of a backup for PSG. Hakimi is a star. I think it's completely unrealistic at this point in time.

This will have probably have to be one where Ten Hag or the scouts spot a 15-20M player that has potential to improve and who fits what we want from an RB perfectly, which I think is more likely someone like Azpilicueta more than maybe the fastest top wingback in the game like Hakimi.

It seems like we wanted Timber for the role, with the idea being something like this:

--------------------------------------Striker----------------------------
-Rashford--------------Bruno-------------------------------------
-------------------------------------Fred/Eriksen-----------Sancho
-----------------------DeJong-------------------Timber------
Shaw/Malacia-----Lisandro----Maguire------------

With the idea being that Timber tucks in and allows us to play with De Jong as a lone DM and we dominate possession with everyone being very good on the ball apart from Maguire, who I think might be better at RCB anyways (especially if he cuts out a long of the long balls).

I wouldn't rule out us bringing in a loan option to back up Dalot, or a loan with an option to buy, and going back in for Timber or a top RB next summer, when the only major holes to fill should be Striker and a Winger, assuming we do bring in De Jong or another big signing at DM.

Last edited:

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Think thats the only negative for him. He does look a little bit raw in trms of decision making, only to be expecged.

See some others dismissing some of the young options to wait and see what happens with Laird. I think we should dimiss that, we had similar thoughts on Brandon Williams and even Dalot when he arrived....none of whom as of yet have proved anything here, WIlliams did well for a while., but they need to prove themselves.

Despite his age and rawness, I would have Gusto for sure though personally. Even with our apparent total lack of ability to sell anyone....surely Bissaka/Williams leaving pays for Gusto.

I think all our current options personally including Laird and especially Bissaka are an upgrade on Dalot though. Despite people concerns over attacking options....for me currently lack of one cm when two are needed and Dalot starting a right back are huge concerns reaching the start of the season, why do so many seem content with DAlot this seaon, really dont get it, he is a really poor full abck for me, even prefer Telles over him as a full back
Of all available options Gusto would be my preference as he on paper looks the most likely to leap to elite.

However I would 100% prefer to start Dalot then go for a stop gap as I think he’s overly criticised despite being a perfectly serviceable option. Not a perfect one but for now he’ll have to do.

Honestly not really. Who can you name me that you’d be confident we could sign that is a all but guaranteed upgrade?

There are some magnificent RBs but most are at top sides already. I wanted us to sign Trippier personally as he would have fit in well as an upgrade and not block the pathway of a younger player when they emerged.

I don’t think Dalot will ever be a world class RB but I do think he can do most of what we want from our RB well enough that we don’t have to panic buy someone for the sake of it.

Who would you say attainably is a major upgrade?

DSG

Dalot is garbage as a defender and attacking.

I do think he’s the worst defending RB in the PL. Given we spent 20m on him, could we get that now?

I do like Dumfries, but he’s more of a RWB.

NoPace

Watched Monaco-PSV and Vanderson was impressive. Made one bad judgement on an aerial switch but starved Gapko of the ball and really good going forward looking for 1-2s. Very agile and comfortable on the ball. A lot to like for a 21 year old fullback. Only cost Monaco 11M a year ago so might be doable for a reasonable price at double that or so.

jesperjaap

Of all available options Gusto would be my preference as he on paper looks the most likely to leap to elite.

However I would 100% prefer to start Dalot then go for a stop gap as I think he’s overly criticised despite being a perfectly serviceable option. Not a perfect one but for now he’ll have to do.

Honestly not really. Who can you name me that you’d be confident we could sign that is a all but guaranteed upgrade?

There are some magnificent RBs but most are at top sides already. I wanted us to sign Trippier personally as he would have fit in well as an upgrade and not block the pathway of a younger player when they emerged.

I don’t think Dalot will ever be a world class RB but I do think he can do most of what we want from our RB well enough that we don’t have to panic buy someone for the sake of it.

Who would you say attainably is a major upgrade?
My opinion is that low on Dalot, I dont think its even worth naming players. I would rather Bissaka over Dalot without a doubt fo a start, even though his positioning is poor and he isnt good going forward, Dalot for me isnt much better going forward either, jsut his decision making is better, but in terms of defending and tackling its chalk and cheese.

Literally 90% of the premierships right backs are an upgrade on Dalot and just about every right back we have been linked with for the last few months.

And in saying that, I am not saying they are the answer, I am simply saying Dalot really really isnt the answer, I obviously must be wrong as the lsat manager and present one seem to be pickig him, but I think he is the worst right back at the club.

But yes getting THE answer is difficult, I agree there. For me at the start of summer there were two options, one was Gusto, the other was Livaramento, both inexperienced, both a little raw, but both better attacking full backs than anybody we currently have already and both with a very high celing potential wise. Livaramento was robably my first choice, think he looked excellent whenever I saw Chelsea youth games and he would probably be starting for them by now if his path wasnt blocked by Reece James and there captain.

Before we signed him, i was a massive fan of Bissaka, I think he did ok early on here but went backwards last season. Probaly very much in a minority but personally I would have been be selling Dalot and Williams and loaning Laird and buying one of Gusto/Livaramento for the attackign threat and potential and keeping Bissaka fro his one on ones whilst they settle.

Lets hope Dalot does improve as I dont see us signing a right back....Im still more concerned about a lack of a proper strong midfielder signing though. Keep hearing Ten Hag might not want that, but every top side in the premiership has one, think its a hgue mistake not signing one but a travesty not to after how big an error it obviously was failing to do so last summer

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
My opinion is that low on Dalot, I dont think its even worth naming players. I would rather Bissaka over Dalot without a doubt fo a start, even though his positioning is poor and he isnt good going forward, Dalot for me isnt much better going forward either, jsut his decision making is better, but in terms of defending and tackling its chalk and cheese.

Literally 90% of the premierships right backs are an upgrade on Dalot and just about every right back we have been linked with for the last few months.

And in saying that, I am not saying they are the answer, I am simply saying Dalot really really isnt the answer, I obviously must be wrong as the lsat manager and present one seem to be pickig him, but I think he is the worst right back at the club.

But yes getting THE answer is difficult, I agree there. For me at the start of summer there were two options, one was Gusto, the other was Livaramento, both inexperienced, both a little raw, but both better attacking full backs than anybody we currently have already and both with a very high celing potential wise. Livaramento was robably my first choice, think he looked excellent whenever I saw Chelsea youth games and he would probably be starting for them by now if his path wasnt blocked by Reece James and there captain.

Before we signed him, i was a massive fan of Bissaka, I think he did ok early on here but went backwards last season. Probaly very much in a minority but personally I would have been be selling Dalot and Williams and loaning Laird and buying one of Gusto/Livaramento for the attackign threat and potential and keeping Bissaka fro his one on ones whilst they settle.

Lets hope Dalot does improve as I dont see us signing a right back....Im still more concerned about a lack of a proper strong midfielder signing though. Keep hearing Ten Hag might not want that, but every top side in the premiership has one, think its a hgue mistake not signing one but a travesty not to after how big an error it obviously was failing to do so last summer
I appreciate your opinion on him to be fair.

We’re sort of stuck with what we’ve got but I’d put good money on Ten Hag coaching Dalot to be a very serviceable RB for us. He won’t change our side or be a world beater but I believe he can suitably progress the ball and overlap/underlap well enough with coaching for us to make do for now.

Bojan Djordjic

Feel like we should be exploring other of the world for some of these positions where there is no obvious candidates in Europe. Must be a couple of good right backs in Brazil or Argentina. Saw scouted football did a profile on Matheuzinho and he looks good. He was being linked with Ajax earlier this summer.

jesperjaap

I appreciate your opinion on him to be fair.

We’re sort of stuck with what we’ve got but I’d put good money on Ten Hag coaching Dalot to be a very serviceable RB for us. He won’t change our side or be a world beater but I believe he can suitably progress the ball and overlap/underlap well enough with coaching for us to make do for now.
Thats fair enough. I am in no position to judge Ten Hag as knew very little about him before he came here.

I have been impressed with how he has come across so far but being a half empty type, knowing how poor so many of these players have been for some time, do think there is a lot of faith in him workign wonders with some of the current set up when recent history with many of them with a few managers has said otherwise and the gap for me between our players and other rival clubs is pretty big.

Again know little of the signings but Martinez is the only one that looks like a big upgrade for us this summer in the short term in the position he will play

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.

We’ve discovered Brandon is right footed so we’re sorted. The article also says we wanted a RB this summer but ETH prioritised a LB. Obviously that huge 12m fee means we can’t possibly do both.

Lee565

Both bissaka and dalot needing booting out and replaced, bissaka is completely anti ten hag in terms of ability and dalot seems to have been heavily influenced by ronaldo by following his lead by leaving early, he can go with ronaldo as we saw last season of certain players being a negative influence in the dressing room on others.

jamesjimmybyrondean

We’ve discovered Brandon is right footed so we’re sorted. The article also says we wanted a RB this summer but ETH prioritised a LB. Obviously that huge 12m fee means we can’t possibly do both.
We can do both but Awb has to go first