Potential striker signings (who aren't named Højlund)

Trequarista10

If we intend on sticking with a 4222, then surely we should really be looking for an old school second striker, rather than a typical lone striker type. Not sure who as they've gone out fashion recently, but a Tevez/ Rooney/Totti/Beardsley/Del Piero/Muller/Cantona type.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He's very good at linking up and will score goals, but Firmino was a #10 before he became a false 9, and Felix is a striker. Not sure he's hungry enough for the ball and a good enough defender to really mirror Firmino. We look like we're playing a 4-2-2-2 anyways.

Dani Olmo looked up to it at the Euros at time, though he hasn't scored much for Leipzig. Florian Wirtz seems really well suited to the role. Should cost a ton, but that means we're one of the 5-10 clubs or so you could see actually spending the 85M or whatever it would take.

So there are players for that spot if after next season Cristiano leaves and we try to play 4-3-3 with a false 9 type and Sancho/Rashford/Greenwood/Diallo rotating as the 4 wide options.

There's also Sancho. He's not played the role but has a lot of the qualities you'd want in terms of playmaking for wide forwards.
I mean yeah - my hope is for something like this:

Rashford- - -Greenwood
<-Sancho->
Where Sancho can play as a false 9 type player because he can dribble and play great through balls- but also be a player that has the ability to not just go through the middle of two wider forwards; but overlap from either side too.

So during a game we can see variations of these three things-

1. Rashford- Sancho -Greenwood​
  2. Sancho- Rashford -Greenwood​
  3. Rashford- Greenwood -Sancho​

Was just checking if Jaoa Felix who has started being linked may be signed to fit something I wanted to see for a long time, a false 9 between 2 inverted forwards.

SAF is the GOAT

We cant count on Rashford as a striker - not In general and particularly not in recent period

And now That Tony wants to go on January and also Edi - we have to bring a striker into this squad.

We can't left off with a 37 year old legend and a 20 year old boy as our only 2 strikers.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Some of Europe's top scorers this season:

Robert Lewandowski (Bayern München, GER)
Cristiano Ronaldo (Juventus, ITA)
André Silva (Frankfurt, GER)
Erling Haaland (Dortmund, GER)
Lionel Messi (Barcelona, ESP)
Romelu Lukaku (Inter, ITA)
Kylian Mbappé (Paris, FRA)
Mohamed Salah (Liverpool, ENG)
Luis Suárez (Atlético, ESP)
Bruno Fernandes (Manchester United, ENG)
Harry Kane (Tottenham, ENG)
Gerard Moreno (Villarreal, ESP)
Luis Muriel (Atalanta, ITA)
Wout Weghorst (Wolfsburg, GER)

Other than Haaland, any of them viable CF targets for a top club this summer?

Some from the CL/EL too:

10 Erling Haaland (Borussia Dortmund, UEFA Champions League)
7 Pizzi (Benfica, UEFA Europa League)
7 Yusuf Yazıcı (LOSC Lille, UEFA Europa League)
7 Marcus Rashford (Manchester United, UEFA Champions League/UEFA Europa League)
6 Carlos Vinícius (Tottenham, UEFA Europa League)
6 Álvaro Morata (Juventus, UEFA Champions League)
6 Neymar (Paris, UEFA Champions League)
6 Munas Dabbur (Hoffenheim, UEFA Europa League)
6 Olivier Giroud (Chelsea, UEFA Champions League)
6 Youssef En-Nesyri (Sevilla, UEFA Champions League)

5 Lior Refaelov (Antwerp, UEFA Europa League)
5 Leon Bailey (Leverkusen, UEFA Europa League)
5 Ciro Immobile (Lazio, UEFA Champions League)
5 Mikael Ishak (Lech Poznań, UEFA Europa League)
5 Lukás Juliš (Sparta Praha, UEFA Europa League)
5 Donyell Malen (PSV, UEFA Europa League)
5 Kylian Mbappé (Paris, UEFA Champions League)
5 Darwin Núñez (Benfica, UEFA Europa League)
5 Borja Mayoral (Roma, UEFA Europa League)
5 Eran Zahavi (PSV Eindhoven, UEFA Europa League)
5 Alassane Pléa (Borussia Mönchengladbach, UEFA Champions League)
5 Paco Alcácer (Villarreal, UEFA Europa League)
5 Michael Liendl (Wolfsberg, UEFA Europa League)
5 Sérgio Oliveira (Porto, UEFA Champions League)
Gerard Moreno is a really really good striker in his prime.

SAFMUTD

I like Moreno too; he looks like a striker who lives and breathes to score.
Yes he's a really complete striker, but he'll be 30 by the end of the season and I don't see Villarreal selling him for less than 45-50M.

I think we should get someone younger.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I like Moreno too; he looks like a striker who lives and breathes to score.
Not only that, he is very involved and his all-round play is very good. Can see him being at the top level for at least 3 more years.

Teja

Think we just wait until we know who our new manager is going to be. Ten Hag might want someone very technical while Flick might not care.

MalaysianRed7

Aside from Haaland and maybe Vlahovic, albeit there is no guarantee that a kid from Serie A will come in and tear it up, Mason Greenwood was absolutely ridiculous upfront in the first 3 games. Scoring 3 goals in 3 games for a team who created very few chances, including two outstanding goals should be enough proof that he has what it takes to play there. It was his natural position in the youth teams.

Also, I can’t think of much better educators for a budding striker than Ronaldo and Cavani. He’ll have learnt a lot when it’s time for him to step up after Ronaldo leaves, to add to his already considerable repertoire. Aside from Ronaldo himself, I can’t think of a better finisher than Mason since RvP. RvP himself has said so too.

Just move him up top and make Sancho a permanent starter. If we are to buy an attacker, I’d go for a winger to compete with or displace Rashford, who has not impressed me since project restart. Can’t think of any names; maybe Antony from Ajax, who is a right winger, thus we’ll have to play Sancho on the left.

Houdini

Julien Alvarez from River Plate. He looks like the next big thing. Plays as CF/false 9, can play aslo SS,LW,RW, young TOP talent who looks prepared. We should not miss on TOP talents. Ronado and Cavani won't be here for long and we need to plan ahead. Sancho-Alvarez-Greenwood could be the future.

Devil may care

Obviously midfield is crucial between now and the end of the summer window but this is going to the hardest position to solve as unlike with midfield there's next to no options. We aren't getting Haaland and Vlahovic is off to Juventus, after that there's Isak who is a good footballer but doesn't really score enough goals imo, but one way or another we need to address this as we can't have Ronaldo as the starting #9 week in and week out next season.

GledTheRed

Obviously midfield is crucial between now and the end of the summer window but this is going to the hardest position to solve as unlike with midfield there's next to no options. We aren't getting Haaland and Vlahovic is off to Juventus, after that there's Isak who is a good footballer but doesn't really score enough goals imo, but one way or another we need to address this as we can't have Ronaldo as the starting #9 week in and week out next season.
Screw centre forwards, those bastards Liverpool and City do OK without a traditional number 9.

Remember the geese

Assuming that Ronaldo, Cavani and Martial all leave in the Summer, I would like us to play Greenwood as our number 9 and purchase a relatively cheap striker who can compete with him and chip in with goals. Who that is, I have no idea. We would then have Rashford, Elanga, Sancho, Amad and Hannibal as our wide options. Failing this, I would use Bruno as a false 9 and sign two or three midfield players. Naturally, we should be signing midfield players regardless.

bucky

There's actually a few options. Depends on what kind of striker we want. I think Osimhen is the best option, but he would most likely be very expensive and therefore is probably not happening. Schick has had a good season for Leverkusen apparently. Amine Gouiri has also done well for Nice by the looks of it. Both of those I haven't really seen this season though, so only going by stats there. I also think that Abraham could be a good option, if we aren't necessarily looking for someone to start, but rather someone to compete with Greenwood up front. Then there is Jonathan David from Lille, who looks quite talented and has a good workrate, he could be someone like Firmino or Jota, who doesn't score as many goals, but our other forwards could benefit from him.

Devil may care

There's actually a few options. Depends on what kind of striker we want. I think Osimhen is the best option, but he would most likely be very expensive and therefore is probably not happening. Schick has had a good season for Leverkusen apparently. Amine Gouiri has also done well for Nice by the looks of it. Both of those I haven't really seen this season though, so only going by stats there. I also think that Abraham could be a good option, if we aren't necessarily looking for someone to start, but rather someone to compete with Greenwood up front. Then there is Jonathan David from Lille, who looks quite talented and has a good workrate, he could be someone like Firmino or Jota, who doesn't score as many goals, but our other forwards could benefit from him.
With options I meant strikers with proven track records, none of the strikers above have ever scored 20 goals in all competitions playing at the top level, although Schick is almost certainly going to achieve it this season. Haaland is a monster and Vlahovic is on back to back 20 goal seasons then it's a considerable drop off, I've not seen anything of Osimhen, Amine Gouiri or Jonathan David but they'd surely be just competing with Mason as opposed to being bona-fide starters? Schick is a player I've always liked watching with his technical style but with his injury history I'd be a bit concerned about whather he's too fragile for the PL. When you say Abraham are you talking about the former Chelsea player now at Roma?

NoPace

Assuming that Ronaldo, Cavani and Martial all leave in the Summer, I would like us to play Greenwood as our number 9 and purchase a relatively cheap striker who can compete with him and chip in with goals. Who that is, I have no idea. We would then have Rashford, Elanga, Sancho, Amad and Hannibal as our wide options. Failing this, I would use Bruno as a false 9 and sign two or three midfield players. Naturally, we should be signing midfield players regardless.
Maybe give Cavani another year and have him and Greenwood as the 9s?

bucky

With options I meant strikers with proven track records, none of the strikers above have ever scored 20 goals in all competitions playing at the top level, although Schick is almost certainly going to achieve it this season. Haaland is a monster and Vlahovic is on back to back 20 goal seasons then it's a considerable drop off, I've not seen anything of Osimhen, Amine Gouiri or Jonathan David but they'd surely be just competing with Mason as opposed to being bona-fide starters? Schick is a player I've always liked watching with his technical style but with his injury history I'd be a bit concerned about whather he's too fragile for the PL. When you say Abraham are you talking about the former Chelsea player now at Roma?
Misunderstood your post then, if that's what you were asking for. I don't think we necessarily need to have that player though, considering Greenwood, Rashford, Bruno and Sancho have plenty of goals in them. Osimhen would definitely start. I don't think he would have any problems adapting to the league. Gouiri, David and Abraham are suggestions, if we make Greenwood our main striker, yes. The former Chelsea player, yeah. He's done well for Roma and if he wouldn't cost as much, he would be valuable as stop-gap.

NoPace

Yeah, I'd be fine with this. Seems as if Cavani has his mind made up though.
I guess we do need a long term 9 to compete with Greenwood if we're going 4-3-3 anyways, so delaying it a year is just kicking the can down the road:

Rashford/Elanga--------Greenwood/#9-----------Sancho/Amad
-------------------------#8/Fred---------------Bruno/VDB-------------------
-----------------------------------DM/McTominay-----------------------------------

but we also probably need a new CB (unless Maguire has the renaissance his performance against West Ham suggested isn't impossible) and a new RB if Wan-Bissaka goes, so that's 5 signings this January + summer, which is quite a lot, though obviously wages won't have to go up if Cristiano, Pogba, Martial, Cavani, Lingard and one or both of Mata and Matic all go.

NoPace

Anyone see Ekitike play? 8 goals in 956 Ligue 1 minutes at 19 and presumably he'd pick us over West Ham and Newcastle, and seems to be available for 30M or so.

Remember the geese

I guess we do need a long term 9 to compete with Greenwood if we're going 4-3-3 anyways, so delaying it a year is just kicking the can down the road:

Rashford/Elanga--------Greenwood/#9-----------Sancho/Amad
-------------------------#8/Fred---------------Bruno/VDB-------------------
-----------------------------------DM/McTominay-----------------------------------

but we also probably need a new CB (unless Maguire has the renaissance his performance against West Ham suggested isn't impossible) and a new RB if Wan-Bissaka goes, so that's 5 signings this January + summer, which is quite a lot, though obviously wages won't have to go up if Cristiano, Pogba, Martial, Cavani, Lingard and one or both of Mata and Matic all go.
If we need a number 9 to compete with Greenwood, then I'd be happy enough with Jonathan David or Youssef En-Nesyri. I would be surprised if we signed a centre back, unless it was for depth. I'm thinking a Bailly or Jones replacement. As for right back, I can see a situation where we persist with Dalot, but struggle to shift Wan Bissaka. If a right back does come into the club, then I think it will be Ethan Laird. Overall, I can see us being in the market for one or two central midfielders, a striker and possibly a goalkeeper, as I imagine Henderson will leave.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
We don't need a striker. That will be Greenwood's position for years to come. Next year when Cavani is gone he will be rotated in with CR7 and then the following year it will be his spot. Maybe at that time we look for someone else to come in. Or maybe Martial is back and prepared to be our back up #9. Either way, we don't need to spend money on that position right now. Right now the main problem is the midfield and that's where all funds should be going...

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
We don't need a striker. That will be Greenwood's position for years to come. Next year when Cavani is gone he will be rotated in with CR7 and then the following year it will be his spot. Maybe at that time we look for someone else to come in. Or maybe Martial is back and prepared to be our back up #9. Either way, we don't need to spend money on that position right now. Right now the main problem is the midfield and that's where all funds should be going...
Greenwood has never even scored 20 goals in a season, why put so much faith in him.

NoPace

I think the assumption is that we'll finish 5th or 6th and Cristiano will leave for CL football to like PSG or a romantic return to Sporting.

Obviously if Cristiano stays for another season then he and Greenwood can be the 9s and we can spend elsewhere.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Given there doesn't seem to be a stand out striker available I'd say we should just focus on getting two midfielders to replace McFred

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I know right? Afterall, you can't win with kids
You can, but he isn't good enough yet. He's certainly good, but if a top striker would be available, don't put all your eggs in that basket.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
Okay this might piss certain people off. Not the most attractive option out there. But how about....

Tammy Abraham in case the other premium options don't work out?

Been brilliant recently, always had a knack of getting a lot of goals, decent all round game, scope for further improvement.

bucky

Given there doesn't seem to be a stand out striker available I'd say we should just focus on getting two midfielders to replace McFred
We should do that regardless of that. We might lose Ronaldo, Cavani and Martial during the summer, which would mean Greenwood as arguably the only striker.

Okay this might piss certain people off. Not the most attractive option out there. But how about....

Tammy Abraham in case the other premium options don't work out?

Been brilliant recently, always had a knack of getting a lot of goals, decent all round game, scope for further improvement.
I've suggested him above as well. No need to hide it, he's been good this season. Entirely dependent on what he would cost though.

jamesjimmybyrondean

We should do that regardless of that. We might lose Ronaldo, Cavani and Martial during the summer, which would mean Greenwood as arguably the only striker.

I've suggested him above as well. No need to hide it, he's been good this season. Entirely dependent on what he would cost though.
I don't see Ronaldo going because where would he go realistically?

NoPace

Morata will move and if he doesn't end up at Barcelona, maybe Atletico would sell for 20M this summer? They claim to want 30M. He'd be a nice alternative #9 to Greenwood for his clever hold up play. But probably he's too expensive for a 29 year old who we know won't bang in the goals.

NoPace

Bring Charlie McNeil into the team. Maybe he will do a Machedaaaaaaa!!!
Jokes aside, once Cristiano, Martial and Cavani are gone there probably are some sub appearances available for a 3rd #9 type like McNeill or Hugill with the other going on loan.