Potential striker signings (who aren't named Højlund)

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Based on our options, maybe we should get a flexible forward instead (like LFC have done again and again). Nkunku could probably be a really good option.

The Caff Spraff

If we do end up with ten hag, I can see him bringing Brian brobbey with him. Ajax product, playing for Ajax on loan from rb Leipzig, so even got the RR connection and looks a really good young player

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Based on our options, maybe we should get a flexible forward instead (like LFC have done again and again). Nkunku could probably be a really good option.
Liverpool can get flexible forwards because they have a goal machine on the right. If they didn’t they’d be looking for a goal machine.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
If we do end up with ten hag, I can see him bringing Brian brobbey with him. Ajax product, playing for Ajax on loan from rb Leipzig, so even got the RR connection and looks a really good young player
Brobbey? Is he that massive lump? Are we Burnley?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Patrick Schick is a solid option as an out and out #9. I wouldn't mind Olly Watkins either as someone who will do the hard work upfront and bring the attacking midfielders, wide forwards into play.

The Caff Spraff

Brobbey? Is he that massive lump? Are we Burnley?
he is but he is also 19, a lot of room for development. Great return at youth level and being trusted at first team with Ajax, so there must be something about him. I suppose all would depend on cost also

SparkedIntoLife

Posted this in the other thread. Keen for thoughts of anyone who might watch him regularly -

Charles De Ketelaere seems a total Rangnick signing to me. He’s played all across the attacking midfielder spots and even filled in at LWB recently. But he’s most often a false 9 or second striker. Tall, skilful, hard working and has enormous potential. I can see him playing a Firmino role next season, teeing up the likes of Elanga, Rashford, Sancho and Gr… err never mind

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Liverpool can get flexible forwards because they have a goal machine on the right. If they didn’t they’d be looking for a goal machine.
Salah was not a goal machine prior to Liverpool. Neither was Jota. I agree that we need a forward that is a goal threat, but that forward dont have to be a striker like DCL or Isak. Not when the options appear to be DCL or Isak.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
he is but he is also 19, a lot of room for development. Great return at youth level and being trusted at first team with Ajax, so there must be something about him. I suppose all would depend on cost also
I wouldn't sign Haller either...

onemanarmy

Hell no. He would cost a lot of money, has been injured a lot this year, doesn't seem to have a great head on him AND he's a Raiola player.

The Caff Spraff

Hell no. He would cost a lot of money, has been injured a lot this year, doesn't seem to have a great head on him AND he's a Raiola player.
wasn’t aware he’s a raiola player. That info genuinely is enough to change my mind on any player

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
What's the story with Broja? Is he on loan from Chelsea in a develop-him-for-the-first-team way or a will-sell-him-for-a-big-enough-fee way?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
wasn’t aware he’s a raiola player. That info genuinely is enough to change my mind on any player
And also there is no connection to Rangnick. Rangnick left RB in the summer of '20, Brobbey signed for Leipzig in the summer of '21.

Lemon Moon

Tammy Abraham playing well in Italy, knows the Premier league & will only improve the more he plays. Will offer something different to what we have already. Not an elite striker though by any means.

lenny_1248

Lautaro.
He is not a classical number 9, but you don't have to have one. Klopp and Pep dominated w/o them.
ETH was very successful playing with Tadic as a false 9. Lautaro might work as well, I guess.

Honestly, I would be over the moon with just Rice and Lautaro. Just break the bank on those two, if ETH comes.
At least with them we will know that they will hit and make the team stronger.

Lemon Moon

Karim Adeyemi is having a very good season with RB Salzburg, young, quick, left footed.

Maybe a good shout to replace Greenwood in the squad?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Karim Adeyemi is having a very good season with RB Salzburg, young, quick, left footed.

Maybe a good shout to replace Greenwood in the squad?
Maybe, but strongly rumuored to be Dortmund's Haaland replacement.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Ahh is he? He's German too, he'll probably stay there until Bayern come in for him? That's the drill isn't it?
Good question, difficult to answer. He actually already was at Bayern in his youth, but they then let him go from their academy due to attitude problems or something like that, he then went to their small neighbours Unterhaching, who then sold him to Salzburg.

Looking at their squad Bayern already have similar and still young players in their squad like Sane and Gnabry, he isn't really your classic No9, more someone who likes to run at the defence. Think more of Vardy than of Lewandowski as a comparison.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Would break the bank for Lautaro or Gnabry. Seems to be no other options really.

Lemon Moon

Good question, difficult to answer. He actually already was at Bayern in his youth, but they then let him go from their academy due to attitude problems or something like that, he then went to their small neighbours Unterhaching, who then sold him to Salzburg.

Looking at their squad Bayern already have similar and still young players in their squad like Sane and Gnabry, he isn't really your classic No9, more someone who likes to run at the defence. Think more of Vardy than of Lewandowski as a comparison.
Thanks I wasn't aware of that. The attitude problem is a warning sign, especially after recent news. Just looked up his goalscoring record this season in the league, 10 in 11 games. He's flying.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Thanks I wasn't aware of that. The attitude problem is a warning sign, especially after recent news.
I wouldn't put it this way. He joined Unterhaching at age 10, the issues he had at Bayern were as a child. I don't think you can draw any conclusions from this time for his current character, I just wanted to point out that he has some negative history at Bayern, so it's not exactly known how he feels about that.

Lemon Moon

I wouldn't put it this way. He joined Unterhaching at age 10, the issues he had at Bayern were as a child. I don't think you can draw any conclusions from this time for his current character, I just wanted to point out that he has some negative history at Bayern, so it's not exactly known how he feels about that.
Cool, thanks for clearing that up.

Vanrouge

Jonathan David scored another goal with ice-cold composure tonight for Canada. He's beginning to convince me. In itself, not the greatest goal, a last-minute breakaway, but he keeps doing this at the national team level. Alphonso was a no-brainer. As soon as we saw him step on the pitch at age fifteen for the Whitecaps, we knew he'd be a superstar. David has taken longer to convince, but along with Larin and possibly Buchanan, he's emerged from this frankly unbelievable Canadian men's team as somebody who could make it at the top level.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Posted this in the other thread. Keen for thoughts of anyone who might watch him regularly -

Charles De Ketelaere seems a total Rangnick signing to me. He’s played all across the attacking midfielder spots and even filled in at LWB recently. But he’s most often a false 9 or second striker. Tall, skilful, hard working and has enormous potential. I can see him playing a Firmino role next season, teeing up the likes of Elanga, Rashford, Sancho and Gr… err never mind
He's absolutely worth a punt, I agree. Impressive work rate to go with impressive maturity in his play for such a young age. I like him a lot.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
He's absolutely worth a punt, I agree. Impressive work rate to go with impressive maturity in his play for such a young age. I like him a lot.
He's not exactly prolific though, would have to step up his goalscoring rates somewhat.

SparkedIntoLife

He's not exactly prolific though, would have to step up his goalscoring rates somewhat.
You’re right, in that 10 in 24 in the Belgian top flight isn’t impressive. We would need more goal threat for sure. He’s 20 and has only really just gone up front this season so there’s definite potential to improve.

Regardless, though, I don’t see him as the prolific goal scorer type. He’s hard working and creative. No slouch as a finisher but not clinical. However, maybe he could be a Firmino type for us and enhance the likes of Rashford/Elanga/Sancho/Amad/new signing.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
You’re right, in that 10 in 24 in the Belgian top flight isn’t impressive. We would need more goal threat for sure. He’s 20 and has only really just gone up front this season so there’s definite potential to improve.

Regardless, though, I don’t see him as the prolific goal scorer type. He’s hard working and creative. No slouch as a finisher but not clinical. However, maybe he could be a Firmino type for us and enhance the likes of Rashford/Elanga/Sancho/Amad/new signing.
I guess it depends a lot on the new manager and what style they wish to implement, you don't always need a striker who can score bucket loads if you have a goal scoring midfield and wingers.

onemanarmy

Belgian top flight is very defense minded. Play him in Holland and he would score a lot more. It doesn't mean that much. He's not an in and out striker, but can surely play that role. He'll end up a very good player.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
DCL? Seems a good fit for Poch or Ten Hag seeing as we would end up with either of those two coaches
He'd certainly be a very natural fit for Ten Hag from all I've read about the way he uses his current CF tactically. But he does also seem to pick up more than his fair share of injuries.....

Andrew7582

He'd certainly be a very natural fit for Ten Hag from all I've read about the way he uses his current CF tactically. But he does also seem to pick up more than his fair share of injuries.....
Everton would probably ask for £100 million, it's too expensive buying from prem teams.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Everton would probably ask for £100 million, it's too expensive buying from prem teams.
Not quite so much, I think. They're in an awkward FFP spot by all accounts and will need to sell one of their big assets this summer. Looking on Everton forums they're talking a price of around 60m, which is pretty much what I'd expect any striker intended to be first choice to cost us.

All else being equal he wouldn't be my choice. But in a scenario where Ten Hag arrives and wants a #9 to replicate what Haller does in the current Ajax side (be an aerial threat for their many crosses, be a target man so they can go long when required, work hard out of possession, etc) while also scoring his fair share of goals then DCL makes some sense. Especially if you add in a perceived bias towards British players on the club's part. I don't think he's the best striker around but he is a very particular profile of striker who would suit certain teams. And signing the right striker for the way we intend to play is far more important than signing the best striker. Especially in an era where the player in the CF position is used as a foil for the rest of the team as much as the prime goal threat.

But as I say, he's only played 6 PL games this season because of injury and is reportedly injured again, so I'm not sure if he has issues in that regard.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
After last night and considering in the summer we will be without cavani, greenwood, Lingard and possibly Ronaldo then I think we will recall martial and add a cheapie backup