Potential striker signings (who aren't named Højlund)

copen1945

Leao may turn out to be another Zlatan or Lukaku, but he must be a player that justifies an expensive bet. Hopefully, he isn't associated with Mendes or the Raiola agency. We haven't done business with these two lately.

NoPace

Scamacca looks really sharp holding up and linking play. The only good thing for Italy so far.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Scamacca looks really sharp holding up and linking play. The only good thing for Italy so far.
I truly believe football goes in cycles, tactically especially. There was the Barca tiki taka/Germany high possession era in the mid teens which was in vogue but then suddenly teams went big on counter attacking, to great success, Madrid smashing Bayern I recall.

Now it's the high press, play out from the back type of play.

Like fashion, I feel we need to look at what the next tactic is going to be and move towards that. What interests me currently is ways to beat the higher press game we see currently. Perhaps potentially with large, physical strikers who can receive long balls, direct to them, bring it down and the team transitions quickly up the pitch, bypassing the press.

I feel in the next couple of years, the current way of playing will yield less results as everyone, including small teams are all playing this way.

Someone will figure out that another tactic needs to be used, trying to find a weakness against these teams, using smaller, quicker CBs who are great on the ball but less physical etc.

The forwards press your CBs, and you keep having to find better and better ability in these defenders on the ball to avoid the press, (who can only be so good on the ball) so diminishing returns, and the better they are on the ball, you start to sacrifice actual defending traits to a point (otherwise why play these great ball players in defence?)

So I feel that we will approach a saturation point where either a) defenders are so good on the ball that they're really press resistant so high press becomes redundant or not worth the effort for the reward OR the pressing players become so good at defensive actions that your ball playing, press resistant defenders are nullified and the risk/reward isn't worth it.

Hence why I'd start looking at very strong, almost old fashioned 9s that you'll play with another striker, maybe even another big player, to double up on the quasi back threes that teams leave at the back.

So now their back three have to cope with two strong players who are going to pin them, think playing Fellaini and Drogba up top in a 442, and leaving them high, so you chip it forty yards over the press and their midfield, and transition up the pitch with your wide players.

We realise that pace is an incredible asset in football and is a big selling point yet we don't give the same value on strength.

Brain vomit apologies but just some thoughts when considering strikers.

Woodzy

Leao may turn out to be another Zlatan or Lukaku, but he must be a player that justifies an expensive bet. Hopefully, he isn't associated with Mendes or the Raiola agency. We haven't done business with these two lately.
Im assuming we did business with Mendes when we brought Ronaldo back to the club.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I truly believe football goes in cycles, tactically especially. There was the Barca tiki taka/Germany high possession era in the mid teens which was in vogue but then suddenly teams went big on counter attacking, to great success, Madrid smashing Bayern I recall.

Now it's the high press, play out from the back type of play.

Like fashion, I feel we need to look at what the next tactic is going to be and move towards that. What interests me currently is ways to beat the higher press game we see currently. Perhaps potentially with large, physical strikers who can receive long balls, direct to them, bring it down and the team transitions quickly up the pitch, bypassing the press.

I feel in the next couple of years, the current way of playing will yield less results as everyone, including small teams are all playing this way.

Someone will figure out that another tactic needs to be used, trying to find a weakness against these teams, using smaller, quicker CBs who are great on the ball but less physical etc.

The forwards press your CBs, and you keep having to find better and better ability in these defenders on the ball to avoid the press, (who can only be so good on the ball) so diminishing returns, and the better they are on the ball, you start to sacrifice actual defending traits to a point (otherwise why play these great ball players in defence?)

So I feel that we will approach a saturation point where either a) defenders are so good on the ball that they're really press resistant so high press becomes redundant or not worth the effort for the reward OR the pressing players become so good at defensive actions that your ball playing, press resistant defenders are nullified and the risk/reward isn't worth it.

Hence why I'd start looking at very strong, almost old fashioned 9s that you'll play with another striker, maybe even another big player, to double up on the quasi back threes that teams leave at the back.

So now their back three have to cope with two strong players who are going to pin them, think playing Fellaini and Drogba up top in a 442, and leaving them high, so you chip it forty yards over the press and their midfield, and transition up the pitch with your wide players.

We realise that pace is an incredible asset in football and is a big selling point yet we don't give the same value on strength.

Brain vomit apologies but just some thoughts when considering strikers.
You don't need a big tall striker to play longer, Liverpool have been beating the high press under Klopp by playing long raking diagonal balls to rapid inside forwards.
It's a very effective tactic and doesn't need a proper number 9, just a fast technical front three, and also relies heavily on the full backs producing these long diagonal balls.

As for strikers, there will always be a space for a strong forward, however they now need to be more athletic with it, think Antonio at West Ham or Mitrovic at Fulham, both big strong strikers but also with the ability to run the channels and press high for the team.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
You don't need a big tall striker to play longer, Liverpool have been beating the high press under Klopp by playing long raking diagonal balls to rapid inside forwards.
It's a very effective tactic and doesn't need a proper number 9, just a fast technical front three, and also relies heavily on the full backs producing these long diagonal balls.

As for strikers, there will always be a space for a strong forward, however they now need to be more athletic with it, think Antonio at West Ham or Mitrovic at Fulham, both big strong strikers but also with the ability to run the channels and press high for the team.
I understand but I feel that once the full backs are fast, then this gets you success but still, can be nullified. I just have a sense the tactical landscape will change a bit and a focus on bigger players might come in. Food for thought.

Champ

I understand but I feel that once the full backs are fast, then this gets you success but still, can be nullified. I just have a sense the tactical landscape will change a bit and a focus on bigger players might come in. Food for thought.
Definitely something to watch out for.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Striker is a position we obviously need but have no obvious target IMO.

Id personally okay to skip it until January - see if Ronaldo stays, Greenwood is given bail and players like Shoretire maybe given chances.
I think we need to stop dreaming of greenwood and move on, I doubt we will see him in a United top again

golden_blunder

Staff
I’m not sure if it’s true or not but I saw something saying all charges have been dropped against him. If that is true I guess it comes down to public perception of him and would United want someone who let’s face it may or may not be a rapist and abusive to his partner.

Sure sports teams before have stood by people under similar circumstances. I mean even Ronaldo has supposedly paid hush money to a supposed “victim” of sexual assault by himself has he not?
Our sponsors won’t want greenwood again. If he gets off it’s because the girl refuses to go to court on him. The fans in this country won’t let him forget it so unless he’s tough as hell mentally he will find it hard to play in this country again for a top club. I suspect he may go abroad for a bit

AFC NimbleThumb

Our sponsors won’t want greenwood again. If he gets off it’s because the girl refuses to go to court on him. The fans in this country won’t let him forget it so unless he’s tough as hell mentally he will find it hard to play in this country again for a top club. I suspect he may go abroad for a bit
I’d wager that he will play for us again. Only way I see he doesn’t play for us is if the home fans turn on him, otherwise 50% of the time he’s got a crown turning a blind eye to what we all saw/heard. This club wanted the Super League, no way they’re letting talent go without at least some attempt to salvage the situation.

We as a fanbase will have a difficult decision to make soon.

Tavern in the town

I’d wager that he will play for us again. Only way I see he doesn’t play for us is if the home fans turn on him, otherwise 50% of the time he’s got a crown turning a blind eye to what we all saw/heard. This club wanted the Super League, no way they’re letting talent go without at least some attempt to salvage the situation.

We as a fanbase will have a difficult decision to make soon.
What the feck have those two things got to do with each other?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Yep.

We all heard that recording. Unless it's actively demonstrated to be other than what it sounded like, nobody in their right mind will want him at this club, not least our sponsors. The case not proceeding to court wouldn't be enough.

AFC NimbleThumb

What the feck have those two things got to do with each other?
The club doesn’t see players as such but as assets on an asset sheet, hence silly contract extensions. Letting no.11 walk for nothing won’t simply be a question of morality. I was simply highlighting another example of the club putting money first. Calm down.

Past actions often give a good indication of future ones.

Andersons Dietician

To be honest I wouldn’t be surprised if he goes out on loan for a year somewhere. I can’t see anyone really wanting to buy him and I don’t think the club will really want to lose him. However packing him off somewhere for a year or two might just temper the rage people feel towards him currently. Then roll out the working to improve himself, seeking council from proffesionals and so on.

Sponsers are fickle as well, Ronaldo situation, It was never proved he was or wasn’t a rapist but money was paid outside of court, so if you’re not convicted which looks like Greenwood won’t be (although still a total scumbag) All seems to get forgotten pretty quickly when you’re good at the sport. Sure there are countless others across all sports who have stories like this.

I mean Alonso killed someone… Still plays for and looks like has moved to anothet of the most prestigious clubs around.

Personally I don’t think it’s right, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see him playing again for United.

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Staff
The club doesn’t see players as such but as assets on an asset sheet, hence silly contract extensions. Letting no.11 walk for nothing won’t simply be a question of morality. I was simply highlighting another example of the club putting money first. Calm down.

Past actions often give a good indication of future ones.
I’ll tell what’s an asset is big sponsors saying “we are pulling out if he’s in your squad. Our brand does not want to mix with that PR”

golden_blunder

Staff
To be honest I wouldn’t be surprised if he goes out on loan for a year somewhere. I can’t see anyone really wanting to buy him and I don’t think the club will really want to lose him. However packing him off somewhere for a year or two might just temper the rage people feel towards him currently. Then roll out the working to improve himself, seeking council from proffesionals and so on.

Sponsers are fickle as well, Ronaldo situation and Alonso. All seems to get forgotten pretty quickly when you’re good at the sport. Sure there are countless others across all sports who have stories like this.

Personally I don’t think it’s right, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see him playing again for United.
Time will tell I guess. But I think we can be fairly certain that people hoping he’s going to be an option for the squad next season are deluded

Andersons Dietician

Time will tell I guess. But I think we can be fairly certain that people hoping he’s going to be an option for the squad next season are deluded
oh for sure, I’m expecting we’ll use Diallo off that right side myself unless we go with trying Rashford or Sancho back out there and Nunez off the left. Ronaldo up top.

Elcabron

Mendes? No except for the last player we signed.

AFC NimbleThumb

I’ll tell what’s an asset is big sponsors saying “we are pulling out if he’s in your squad. Our brand does not want to mix with that PR”
The only time the big sponsors would say this is of no.11 was being reintegrated is the point though. I think United will try, after that who knows.

Rossa

Looked to me that Anchelotti and RM countered that tactic by exploiting the space left by Liverpool’s fullbacks.

Champ

Looked to me that Anchelotti and RM countered that tactic by exploiting the space left by Liverpool’s fullbacks.
Vini Jr was hanging forward at every opportunity, wasn't tracking back leaving TAA exposed time and time again.
Was very clever of Ancelotti, but was quite risky.

I see Greenwood mentioned. Has anything new happened that I am unaware of?

AndySmith1990

I see Greenwood mentioned. Has anything new happened that I am unaware of?
No, and regardless of what happens hope he never steps foot inside OT again. Anyone including him in their potential lineups for next season should be ashamed

No, and regardless of what happens hope he never steps foot inside OT again. Anyone including him in their potential lineups for next season should be ashamed
Completely agree. I couldn't wrap my head around why people started to mention him again unless some news had surfaced that I was unaware of.

Bojan Djordjic

Hear hear. Felt sick at some comments I’ve seen here in the past few days hypothesising how he might finesse his way out of his predicament

Rossa

Vini Jr was hanging forward at every opportunity, wasn't tracking back leaving TAA exposed time and time again.
Was very clever of Ancelotti, but was quite risky.
Risky, but worth it. On the other side, Valverde was also very direct and seized every opportunity to counter with Robertson high up the pitch. Being both faster and stronger, it caused Robertson often wary ending up in no man’s land.

Bestietom

Fans may forget about Greenwood wearing a united shirt competitively again. They are deluded if they think the club CEO and sponsors would allow this.

padzilla

Hipster
I can't see how Greenwood comes back. It would take an exceptionally unlikely set of circumstances, including hard proof it was someone else in the recording.
Any football club employing him now is asking for a world of bad publicity and grief.

Dempsey19

Fans may forget about Greenwood wearing a united shirt competitively again. They are deluded if they think the club CEO and sponsors would allow this.
Sure there was a case regarding a player in some low level league in Scotland. They signed a player that had a case years ago. They said everybody deserves a second chance. Sponsors started pulling out, the women's team refused to play and requested to leave. It had a massive impact. Now if a tiny club in Scotland had that issue, United being 1 of the biggest in the world aren't gonna bring that on themselves. Greenwood is done here.

Rolaholic

Going to be an interesting one to follow this summer as I'm certain ETH would want a forward in and there might be a dearth of options soon.

City already signed Haaland, Dortmund reportedly want Haller to replace him.

Now seems that Liverpool have a hard on for Nunez, Arsenal want Jesus, PSG might be after Scamacca, Newcastle are signing Ekitike and Schick just signed an extension...

Still like the look of Lilles Jonathan David as someone would could play off Ronaldo or front and center in Ten Hags system.

Noc-Z

ffs
What do we look for? I'm happy Ronaldo is here but it does raise some issues. Not sure we can sign a top striker and they will be satisfied to come in and be back-up to Ronaldo for now. We could sign potential and they can cover for Ronaldo and learn from him, but I don't think we have time for that. Maybe sign someone who can cover across the 3 positions, maybe play on the wing provide some cover and take over from Ronaldo in time? Not sure of a top striker who can do that. Not sure what the plan is or where we can go with this problem.

Erik the Red

Without being funny, I can see Greenwood going abroad for a year on loan to somewhere like Antwerp. In the past we have loaned many players there, and Mr Overmars has gone through his own issues, so will be able to guide him on how to turn his life around. He can then be loaned to a more high profile team to regain his value before eventually being sold. That way, the sponsors don't get upset at seeing him in a united shirt again, but the money men don't have to write off the asset. Such a wasted talent....

Erik the Red

What do we look for? I'm happy Ronaldo is here but it does raise some issues. Not sure we can sign a top striker and they will be satisfied to come in and be back-up to Ronaldo for now. We could sign potential and they can cover for Ronaldo and learn from him, but I don't think we have time for that. Maybe sign someone who can cover across the 3 positions, maybe play on the wing provide some cover and take over from Ronaldo in time? Not sure of a top striker who can do that. Not sure what the plan is or where we can go with this problem.
The only one who I can think of who can play across the front line is Nkunku. He would be a very good bet to play as second striker / right winger, and as a false 9 when Ronaldo isn't playing. Would still need us to get a real no 9 and a right winger for next year, like Nunez and Antony for example. Those three together with Sancho and Rashford would be a pretty potent attack with strength in depth.

Bojan Djordjic

Without being funny, I can see Greenwood going abroad for a year on loan to somewhere like Antwerp. In the past we have loaned many players there, and Mr Overmars has gone through his own issues, so will be able to guide him on how to turn his life around..
That’s not how that works. Ffs, you’ve just suggested a sex offender’s ring.

Zoo

If Ekitike really is a very good prospect then go for him and keep Martial for a year.