Potential striker signings (who aren't named Højlund)

Infra-red

A lot of people suggesting that we sign Haaland in a thread titled, "potential striker signings who aren't named Haaland".

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
Malen is not clinical enough in front of the goal, he'd run into the same issues as Bergwijn at Spurs if he were to leave now.

Assuming Lewangoalski and Mbappe are unobtainable, I'd go for Kane.

After that, it has to be Messi. He's the only stopgap signing I would like to see. I have doubts on both Ronny and Zlatan, but not him.

We'd be crazy not to go for free agent Depay. Not world class by any means, but he's improved a bit since his Utd days and has found his niche as a false 9. His holdup play is good. He's short, but we dont play long balls, so would be a good fit. He's most likely off to Koeman's Barca and has probably closed the Utd chapter.

DCL and Ings would be the next best options, but I'm not sure if they're worth the price.

I'd take Benzema, Immobile and Weghorst over Martial and Cavani (because he's injury prone).

If we were forced to look into those from the last paragraph, I would prefer playing Greenwood up top or playing a false 9 and using the funds elsewhere.

dinostar77

Some interesting names mentioned. PL strikers specifically.

1. Im curious as to what people think Richardison's ceiling is. Is there alot more improvement to come or is this pretty much it? Not someone i think the club could get as everton owner is ambitious, has deep pockets and upsetting Ancelotti probably isnt a good move.

2. Personally i like the idea of Aguero on a short term deal especially if Cavani chooses to move to on. He doesn't have to move house or up root his kids etc. However ex-city wouldnt go down well. But he has alot of experience. However it's a non starter. He'll either renew with city or go to Barcelona.

3. Danny Ings. If he's good enough for City and Guardiola then why not us? Does all the target man stuff well, get you 20 goals a season, though being a ex-liverpool player, it would be a hard sell to the fans. As someone else said he give you time to see how your young strikers in the academy and Greenwood progress.

Roboc7

Haaland and Kane are pipe dreams, there aren’t many obvious options though. Ings would potentially be a good stop gap for right price.

Reality is we need to find some bargains, we can’t plug all the gaps with big signings or expect to neglect positions completely and compete. You’d think at least one of Isak, Malen, Edouard, Gouri, Daka or Toney would be good enough to improve us for a decent fee.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Some interesting names mentioned. PL strikers specifically.

1. Im curious as to what people think Richardison's ceiling is. Is there alot more improvement to come or is this pretty much it? Not someone i think the club could get as everton owner is ambitious, has deep pockets and upsetting Ancelotti probably isnt a good move.

2. Personally i like the idea of Aguero on a short term deal especially if Cavani chooses to move to on. He doesn't have to move house or up root his kids etc. However ex-city wouldnt go down well. But he has alot of experience. However it's a non starter. He'll either renew with city or go to Barcelona.

3. Danny Ings. If he's good enough for City and Guardiola then why not us? Does all the target man stuff well, get you 20 goals a season, though being a ex-liverpool player, it would be a hard sell to the fans. As someone else said he give you time to see how your young strikers in the academy and Greenwood progress.
Aguero's out of contract? otherwise don't see them offloading him to us. Also not sure if he's that kind as Tevez. Probably goes back to Argentina or to Spain on the way there. Juventus as usual sniffing around I can imagine.

Before his injury Raul Jimenez looked a decent stop gap player but now we have Cavani anyway who's similar.

On Richardlison he would be too expensive, seems a more drilled version of Rashford with less talent but I can imagine him being good enough for us.

Ings is pretty injury prone. I think we will be surprised and probably again pleasantly surprised having watched our strikers non strikers contributions over years.. Any half decent striker will do the trick before we get Haaland and in the meanwhile offload Martial.

Outside chance we go for a winger and promote Greenwood there. Let's see how he plays till the end of the season.

The Neville wears Prada

Mbappe is the obvious one, but he is equally as unlikely as Haaland.

Ronaldo might be available especially if Juve goes broke.

Lukaku is always a good option. Inter looks broke here and a good offer for Lukaku looks enough to prise him away. I expect the clubs who lost the Haaland and Mbappe sweepstakes to go after him next.
You can't be serious, surely!?

beingshe7don

Would anyone consider getting Joao Felix and play him as a false 9? That could work with Rashford operating as a LF and have greenwood as a RF considering neither can actually play as an out-and-out striker.

Macedonian Red

I think to buy players like Kane and Mbappe are not realistic for us in the moment.

From PL: Jimenez and Ings are players who will fit good in our team, but both of them has injurie problems. If Cavani leaves I think there is good chance to buy Ings to fill the void if we failed to buy Haaland.

I dont think DCL and Richarlison are profiles that will fit in our system, especially DCL. Maybe Bamford but I dont think so.

Benzema, if Real Madrid buy Mbappe or Haaland. Or both.
Maybe Andre Silva, never watch him.

passing-wind

Ivan Toney is a good shout. Kane is perhaps the only clinical striker but would cost a large fee. I'd have said Boadu watching him a few seasons ago no idea how his development has picked up more recent times.

FatTails

If Haaland leaves BVB this summer and goes to a club that is not United, then there are only a handful of other clubs he could end up at. Some of the front runners have strikers we can take in short term deals and who will improve us (Benzema, Lewandowski, Aguero, Ronaldo).

The fantasy is that we buy a young player and have a position nailed down for 10 years, but that is really the exception to the rule rather than what tends to happen. There is no shame in a Cavani/Ibra type deal with one of the names above if they become available because Haaland had joined their team.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
Andre Silva of Eintract frankfurt. Currently has 21 goals in 24 games this season. Aparently failed at AC Milan, but wasn't given much of a chance before being moved on at a young age, now far and away Frankfurt's most important player and argubly too good for them (they are a good team but he can definately play at a higher level, also has 16 goals in 38 games at international level).

Also exactly the type of striker we need as he is a physical penalty box presence who is still technical enough to being others into play as well as score goals, also a good age to bring him in as he is only 25. A potential good friend for Bruno also.

Would be a very shewd signing.

432JuanMata

Ivan Toney is a good shout. Kane is perhaps the only clinical striker but would cost a large fee. I'd have said Boadu watching him a few seasons ago no idea how his development has picked up more recent times.
Ivan Toney is a good player watched him quite a few times, but that is too much a step up for him right now. He will either get promoted to Brentford or sign for a mid table side be perfect for Brighton and see how he gets on. Kane is obviously world class but can’t see us paying the money.

manuchamp88

Malen is not clinical enough in front of the goal, he'd run into the same issues as Bergwijn at Spurs if he were to leave now.

Assuming Lewangoalski and Mbappe are unobtainable, I'd go for Kane.
I wouldn't. Can't stand the idea of that smug g*t ripping us off to feed even further his delusions of grandeur about Spurs's standing in English football. Hope he goes to PSG.

432JuanMata

I wouldn't. Can't stand the idea of that smug g*t ripping us off to feed even further his delusions of grandeur about Spurs's standing in English football. Hope he goes to PSG.
I wouldn’t care. Every team has ripped us off over the last few years. Kane is the perfect fit here, he is such a SAF player nothing flashy just a goal and assist machine. I don’t think we will go for him ever as the price will be ridiculous but he such a perfect fit

RobertoBaggio99

Non-penalty goals and assists 19/20 and 20/21 combined:

Muriel (Atalanta): 33g8a - 3400m (1.1)
Zapata (Atalanta): 32g18a - 5000m (0.89)

Ronaldo: 55g11a - 8000m (0.75)

Ronaldo added for perspective as he also plays in Serie A. CL stats are included - Atalanta participated in both seasons.
Too many look at total goals and get misguided; Penalty goals are irrelevant as we have great PK takers from before.
Anyone of Muriel and Zapata is who I'd go for. 1st choice probably Zapata as he's great as a target man in addition to being very unselfish, would complement our wingers. Muriel drifts wide more often which isn't ideal for us, also his stats are a little skewed as 50% of his games are off the bench.

Von Mistelroum

The thing is that there's no chance of us signing Haaland...so we'll spend all summer chasing him while he knows full well he's going elsewhere and then we'll end up with Martial as our 'striker' when Cavani moves on. I'd much prefer that we go for Kane which is almost equally unlikely but at least slightly plausible.

manuchamp88

I wouldn’t care. Every team has ripped us off over the last few years. Kane is the perfect fit here, he is such a SAF player nothing flashy just a goal and assist machine. I don’t think we will go for him ever as the price will be ridiculous but he such a perfect fit
I understand your reasoning but for the sort of money Levy would quote us, I'd rather have Mbappé who would be more value for money given his age and talent.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
This thread shows very clearly that there are not a lot of quality striker options around. Haaland seems like the only realistic option and everyone will be after him . It seems likely he will go to one of the oil-funded clubs.

Andre Silva - interesting idea but there have to be doubts about whether he can really cut it at the top level and he is not a kid any more. Depay - good player but definitely limited and we know what those limits are.

I can't see the likes of Benzema, Kane or Aguero joining United.

Bamford/Ings/Watkins - decent but not good enough IMO.

If not Haaland it would likely have to be someone bursting through or maybe the likes of Patson Daka.

Macedonian Red

Keep an eye on Dusan Vlahovic from Fiorentina. He has Haaland style of play. Only 21 yo.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Somewhat controversial, but if Chelsea do go hard after Haaland and we don't (sob) - what about a cheeky bit for Werner?

Obviously hasn't been good for Chelsea, but I acutally think he'd suit our system a lot better. Rapid, hard-working, last-shoulder type.

Could be pretty cheap too, enabling us to focus on other areas that need it more (DMF/RWF)

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
If we aren't getting Haaland or Kane, I'd much rather sign a marquee DM and focus on getting an elite RW instead of taking a punt on a short term ST option.

I think Mason if given a chance will do well as a striker, we can always play Bruno as False 9, there's Rashford as well who can play up top. And all this is assuming Martial will have another stinker of a season.

RedMist99

Andre Silva of Eintract frankfurt. Currently has 21 goals in 24 games this season. Aparently failed at AC Milan, but wasn't given much of a chance before being moved on at a young age, now far and away Frankfurt's most important player and argubly too good for them (they are a good team but he can definately play at a higher level, also has 16 goals in 38 games at international level).

Also exactly the type of striker we need as he is a physical penalty box presence who is still technical enough to being others into play as well as score goals, also a good age to bring him in as he is only 25. A potential good friend for Bruno also.

berry berry shrew indeed

croadyman

This thread shows very clearly that there are not a lot of quality striker options around. Haaland seems like the only realistic option and everyone will be after him . It seems likely he will go to one of the oil-funded clubs.

Andre Silva - interesting idea but there have to be doubts about whether he can really cut it at the top level and he is not a kid any more. Depay - good player but definitely limited and we know what those limits are.

I can't see the likes of Benzema, Kane or Aguero joining United.

Bamford/Ings/Watkins - decent but not good enough IMO.

If not Haaland it would likely have to be someone bursting through or maybe the likes of Patson Daka.
Would love to see Benzema or Aguero in a Utd shirt albeit 12 years and 10 years too late respectively but no chance of us signing either in a million years as we very rarely deal with Real and Sergio will go and join Messi at Barca

SER19

Keep an eye on Dusan Vlahovic from Fiorentina. He has Haaland style of play. Only 21 yo.
Completely agree. Only seen him a few times admittedly but very good for his age. 6'3 also. Reminds me of RVN a bit

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Add the English tax it's another £50m and the Man Utd tax another £50m. No chance Kane is leaving unless he forces a transfer which I don't see it happening. Crazy that the best English striker currently will end up with no trophies to his name. Loyalty doesn't leave you a legacy if your club is wank.
He is in a final shortly, so could easily win one trophy.

But the big trophies, yeah no chance at Tottenham.
But then joining us is no guarantee of the league or Champions league either. We're 8 and 13 or so years without those ourselves.

croadyman

If we aren't getting Haaland or Kane, I'd much rather sign a marquee DM and focus on getting an elite RW instead of taking a punt on a short term ST option.

I think Mason if given a chance will do well as a striker, we can always play Bruno as False 9, there's Rashford as well who can play up top. And all this is assuming Martial will have another stinker of a season.
Totally agree with that but this club have a deluded belief they can sign him for some reason, mind you that Dortmund valuation will hopefully stop them dead in their tracks and we can look at more realistic targets instead. Our best hope is to make another stop gap ST signing and should be prioritising improving the quality in defence and midfield.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Can't believe the number of posters who think we should go for Aguero or Benzema. They are on the slide.
Also the number of you who think we have a hope in hell of signing Haaland, Mbappe or Kane. All would cost far too much.
Personally I would hate to see us chasing Haaland or having anything to do with his agent.
We really need to find a midfield boss & Centre back more than a striker imo.

Ekeke

Claudinho, 24 year old striker who plays in Brazil. Has 18 goals this season, skillful and averages over 3 key passes per game. Thats more than Bruno and the same as De Bruyne in the premier league. So if he could replicate that he'd be one of the most creative players in the league as well as a goal scorer.

He has played more matches as part of a 3 man midfield (17) but also 7 as a striker with 5 goals and 2 assists in those striker matches

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Can't believe the number of posters who think we should go for Aguero or Benzema. They are on the slide.
Also the number of you who think we have a hope in hell of signing Haaland, Mbappe or Kane. All would cost far too much.
Personally I would hate to see us chasing Haaland or having anything to do with his agent.
We really need to find a midfield boss & Centre back more than a striker imo.
Dont think we should sign them either but Benzema is having his best season in years and has been excellent since CR7 left

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Dont think we should sign them either but Benzema is having his best season in years and has been excellent since CR7 left
Totally agree with this. Replacing Ronaldo was an impossible task, and he shouldn’t be judged against that criteria, but he’s been generally excellent for RM.

devips

McTominay as striker. Rashford on the left of him, and Greenwood on the right. Lethal All-Academy attack.

Walters_19_MuFc

If Sancho comes in, then we can focus on giving Greenwood more minutes up top, which could prove to be his break-out season. I mean, we all talk about Haaland who, don't get me wrong, is a phenomenal player, but he's been given a chance. Hopefully, Greenwood could do the same.

Whilst I'd like more of a poacher type, I wouldn't mind spending a season with Martial, Greenwood and Rashford as our striker options.

1st choice:

Rashford Greenwood Sancho

2nd choice:

James Martial Diallo

theklr

Agree with this. Would cost at least half of Haaland

Redcy

What about Greenwoods forays into CF suggest he is anything like a Haaland? Whenever you watch him he isnt even in the box, wherever his talents may be best served I cant see him as a CF, likes to drive into the box, but when he is expected to play inside the box he looks completely lost.