Potential striker signings (who aren't named Højlund)

wolvored

I don’t think it’s comparable. Ronaldo has the kind of “reputation” no one else could compare here. No player in their sane mind would knock at chairman door and ask for more, just because Ronaldo is earning a lot.

Juventus players are still earning the same, even when Ronaldo is earning 4-5 times more than their other top players.
Utd wont pay £700k they wont pay £500k otherwise Pogba would have re signed by now.

wolvored

Surprised there’s little mention of Tammy Abraham, was scoring for fun a couple of seasons ago. Would be a clever signing in my view, only 23 and it’s rumoured Chelsea would sell for around 40m.
We need better than what we already have and Abraham isnt any better than what we already have imo.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Surprised there’s little mention of Tammy Abraham, was scoring for fun a couple of seasons ago. Would be a clever signing in my view, only 23 and it’s rumoured Chelsea would sell for around 40m.
I personally don't rate him at all. He's behind DCL in my view and Martial is miles better than him. I'm actually very confident that he is mid table level talent at best and not even worth of investment for any money. 40m would be another rip off.

Devil81

Re Ronaldo:

i don’t think he guarantees you 30 goals a season playing for a team in the PL - I’m not saying 30 PL goals. But the physical demands are so high, I think he would struggle - I also thinking knows that and is a big reason he won’t come.

if commercial value was so much, why are Juventus looking to offload him. Surely all those shirts pay for his wages??

inspiring young players is such an overused trait/ plus point for buying a player.

Ronaldo wouldn’t work in this United team - it’s a team, not 10 players servicing Ronaldo.

It didn't phase Zlatan, I 100% think Ronaldo would be able to play two seasons in the Premier league. Also think if it helped get money off the books at Juve I think they'd jump at it given they need a bit of a rebuild.

No way on this earth would I expect to pay a transfer fee for him, if they want him off their books then United should stand firm and say no fee.

Highlyevolved

Daryl Dike, currently on loan from Orlando FC to Barnsley. Has been incredible. 20 years old, enormous talent. He’s absolute top drawer and the touted asking price is around £15 million. At the very minimum he’s a low risk gamble that could potentially be one of the top strikers in world football in the coming years at a time when there aren’t many numbers 9’s.
He’s strong, fast, has that rare instinct in front of goal. All round play and quality is excellent. There’s been some good talent at Barnsley over the years, hearing from dedicated fans this player is the best of them, they think he’ll go on to achieve better than John Stones even.

Just coming off the back of scoring an overhead kick winner in a must win derby for Barnsley.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daryl_Dike

To clarify he’s not ready for the responsibility a Kane or Haaland would carry, but a number 9 for the future.

It didn't phase Zlatan, I 100% think Ronaldo would be able to play two seasons in the Premier league. Also think if it helped get money off the books at Juve I think they'd jump at it given they need a bit of a rebuild.

No way on this earth would I expect to pay a transfer fee for him, if they want him off their books then United should stand firm and say no fee.
im not saying he would be a flop. But I don’t think he would “guarantee 30 goals”.

which if you think 10 of those would be pens, and Cavani got 10 goals - it’s not that big of an uplift for an a massive outlay in wages.

clearly no fee should be involved, but would an outlay of £30-40m in wages per season be worth it?

Lemon Moon

We need better than what we already have and Abraham isnt any better than what we already have imo.
True but he does offer something different to what we currently have.
He's a bit of an old fashioned no.9 in the way he holds play up and is good with his movement in and around the box, great at scoring headed goals too. (Which we ain't that good at generally)

I think he would be a very useful addition & at a fraction of other incomings would cost.
Not to mention his young age, you'd think he would only improve from here.

But he'll probably go to West Ham, start becoming a world class player then we'll sign him in 2025 for 150m.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I read that we made an offer for DCL. Can't say I'm that excited about it, rather stick with what we've got if we aren't getting the elite player we need.
He was quoted around 80m last season iirc. Everton value Kean who flopped for them at 40m +. DCL would certainly be a stupid price too

Artorias

This story about Bruno wanting assurances came from The Sun, so... Sounds a bit strange, to be honest. For me, it´s still a bit worrying that Raiola came out so clear about Pogba wanting to leave, and if Pogba really insists, I think United will let him go, and then a swap deal with Juventus is perhaps the most realistic option knowing Real Madrid will hesitate signing a new player on high wages.

I hope you are right, but my gut-feeling says 50/50.
1. Haaland

- best young striker in the game, may guarantee 30-40 goals a season if he adapts well in PL. Future Ballon D’or candidates.
- lots of competitors, may not choose to join us
- very high wages plus agent fees, would cost us a fortune
- he is very young but it’s likely he won’t stay here for many years, with his greedy agent definitely asking for a big move at some point
- likely cost: 80m transfer fee, 40m agent fee, 500k weekly wage

2. Kane
- best striker in PL, currently top goascorer and assist in the league too, can guarantee around 30 goals a season
- at a good age, may stay here for another 5-6 years until he retires
- He is English so would not have any communication problem with his teammates
- Spur may ask a lot of money for him
- likely cost: 120m transfer fee, 300k weekly wage

3. Ronaldo
- still one of the best goalscorer in the game, can guarantee us 30+ goals a season
- has by far the biggest followings in the world, his commercial value is second to none
- United legend, would be great if he retires here
- may inspire our younger players, playing alongside with GOAT and United legend
- already 36 and no longer in his peak, may only last for another 2 years at very top level
- his wage would be an issue, unless he is willing to lower his asking salary. But who knows, he is very rich anyway and may not really care to earn less salary here? His main source of income are from his commercial endorsement anyway.
- likely cost: 35m transfer fee, 700k weekly wage
I believe that Ronaldo wage demands would not be that high, but he will demand to be the highest paid player in the team (so no new contract for Pogba).

DSG

Daryl Dike, currently on loan from Orlando FC to Barnsley. Has been incredible. 20 years old, enormous talent. He’s absolute top drawer and the touted asking price is around £15 million. At the very minimum he’s a low risk gamble that could potentially be one of the top strikers in world football in the coming years at a time when there aren’t many numbers 9’s.
He’s strong, fast, has that rare instinct in front of goal. All round play and quality is excellent. There’s been some good talent at Barnsley over the years, hearing from dedicated fans this player is the best of them, they think he’ll go on to achieve better than John Stones even.

Just coming off the back of scoring an overhead kick winner in a must win derby for Barnsley.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daryl_Dike

To clarify he’s not ready for the responsibility a Kane or Haaland would carry, but a number 9 for the future.
This would be a squad move... won’t help us in a title challenge for next season. He is a physical specimen for sure, but don’t you think he’s not polished enough to play significant minutes for a top 6 side?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I read that we made an offer for DCL. Can't say I'm that excited about it, rather stick with what we've got if we aren't getting the elite player we need.
He just signed new contract last summer, doubt he will leave.

Highlyevolved

This would be a squad move... won’t help us in a title challenge for next season. He is a physical specimen for sure, but don’t you think he’s not polished enough to play significant minutes for a top 6 side?
Definitely a squad move at the moment, but the topic was a striker not Kane or Haaland. Wanted to throw a new name in the ring. We won’t sign all of OGS’s targets. We may see them go for a new CB and DM and be priced out for Haaland and Kane.

We saw what happened last time, a panic deal for Igahlo. Dike would be a great understudy to Cavani who will stay I believe.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Think Ings would be a good stop gap option. Can't see us getting Kane or Haaland so think we should continue developing Greenwood and see how that works out.

Ings would provide a good bridge option that will fit the team well.

Hughes35

From the players I know a little about I'd like us to sign one of the below.

1. Kane / Haaland
2. Lautaro Martinez
3. Ings
4. DCL / Ollie Watkins

I think any of them would be a decent purchase.

DSG

Definitely a squad move at the moment, but the topic was a striker not Kane or Haaland. Wanted to throw a new name in the ring. We won’t sign all of OGS’s targets. We may see them go for a new CB and DM and be priced out for Haaland and Kane.

We saw what happened last time, a panic deal for Igahlo. Dike would be a great understudy to Cavani who will stay I believe.
I’d support a 10m move for Dike, then loan him out to a mid table Prem side who play with a conventional target striker. Crystal Palace?

He needs a lot of minutes on the pitch and as an understudy to Cavani, as well as Greenwood and Martial.... not sure he would get much. Looks like he’s got bags of potential though....

I agree, not much chance of signing Haaland or Kane. Would you rather spend 50m on Calvert Lewin or roll the dice with Martial again? Hope Greenwood continues to develop? Or take a flier on Andre Silva?

RkkMan

This thread should be closed for a year now that Cavani is staying. No chance we sign a No9 which is a good thing since Haaland/Kane are out of our price range and all these other perrenial options like Vlahovic, DCL, Abraham etc simply don't fill one with confidence. Rather gamble with Cavani's quality which is by the way very good

croadyman

This thread should be closed for a year now that Cavani is staying. No chance we sign a No9 which is a good thing since Haaland/Kane are out of our price range and all these other perrenial options like Vlahovic, DCL, Abraham etc simply don't fill one with confidence. Rather gamble with Cavani's quality which is by the way very good
Yeah may as well reopen this and the Haaland one when the release clause activates next summer

Lemon Moon

Ivan Toney is worth a mention. Soon to be a Premier League striker (very possibly)

His numbers are brilliant, yes from the lower leagues but he plays like nothing phases him and gets kicked to death in the championship but just gets on with it.

An all around good striker and one that likely represents good value in today's market.
A risk but some risks can be rewarding.

Can see West Ham or Arsenal taking a punt on him and it paying off.

Lemon Moon

How do you mean 'better' ?
We only really have Martial in that position (Cavani will likely be leaving soon & Mason is preferred as a wide forward)

I certainly think Tammy has parts of his game that he is more accomplished in than Martial.
His scoring with his head for example, his ability to hold the ball up too. And even his movements in and around the box. All 'better' than Martial generally. Two completely different kinds of players to be fair.

I think Tammy would be a welcome addition to our squad based on this assessment.

What do you think?

Ekeke

Maxi Gomez would be a lot cheaper this summer you would have to imagine. He was good the past 3 seasons but only has 5 goals and 1 assist for Valencia this season.

Probably talking £20-30 million for a Cavani style striker who will get on the end of things in the box and link up with teammates. Obviously you'd be buying him based on what he's done on previous seasons and taking a chance that at 24 years old he'll get back to 10-20 league goals a season at a better club. Certainly a different type of player to Greenwood

bsCallout

There really is next to no one. If we don't get Kane or Haaland I wouldn't bother.

Focus on CM.

Polar

Lewandowski is an affordable alternative - striker who guarantee goals. Sky in Germany claim the German champions value Lewandowski at around £69m.

Let’s say a three year deal (£60m). That’s high impact for the money, but not the best investment regarding resale.

wolvored

How do you mean 'better' ?
We only really have Martial in that position (Cavani will likely be leaving soon & Mason is preferred as a wide forward)

I certainly think Tammy has parts of his game that he is more accomplished in than Martial.
His scoring with his head for example, his ability to hold the ball up too. And even his movements in and around the box. All 'better' than Martial generally. Two completely different kinds of players to be fair.

I think Tammy would be a welcome addition to our squad based on this assessment.

What do you think?
I think if he was up to it he wouldn't be up for sale by Chelsea. We need a poacher/fox in the box imo as we seem to cock up the tap ins and headers. Cavani would be ideal if he was younger. Something different to Greenwood and Rashford.

Lemon Moon

I think if he was up to it he wouldn't be up for sale by Chelsea. We need a poacher/fox in the box imo as we seem to cock up the tap ins and headers. Cavani would be ideal if he was younger. Something different to Greenwood and Rashford.
He's only for sale because he doesn't fit into Tuchels style of play.

I think he suits Ole's

Highlyevolved

I’d support a 10m move for Dike, then loan him out to a mid table Prem side who play with a conventional target striker. Crystal Palace?

He needs a lot of minutes on the pitch and as an understudy to Cavani, as well as Greenwood and Martial.... not sure he would get much. Looks like he’s got bags of potential though....

I agree, not much chance of signing Haaland or Kane. Would you rather spend 50m on Calvert Lewin or roll the dice with Martial again? Hope Greenwood continues to develop? Or take a flier on Andre Silva?
I’d go with that. I’m hearing the rumours we’re going in for Kane, but at the moment it looks like another planned leak so the Glazers can try and pacify the fans.

I think out of those 3 the best bet at the moment would be Calvert Lewin, as he’s proven in the league, and plays like a proper 9, I don’t think Martial is a proper 9, we tend to lack that target on our attacks when he plays and drifts. Andre Silva is a gamble, so is Haaland in my opinion. Kane is the premium guarantee.

Mason is great but he’s not “there” yet and needs more time to be the main 9.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Am I ridiculous for thinking Mitrovic would be a good squad signing for a top club, a Choupo-Moting type player?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Am I ridiculous for thinking Mitrovic would be a good squad signing for a top club, a Choupo-Moting type player?
What happened to Mitrovic this season? Barely even play despite of being their main player last season but everytime I check Serbia national team, he always in the scoresheet.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
What happened to Mitrovic this season? Barely even play despite of being their main player last season but everytime I check Serbia national team, he always in the scoresheet.
He will always return somewhat consistently when his team isn’t outclassed. Not sure him not doing it for Newcastle and Fulham in the Premier League in relegation fights is representative of what he could do with good service.

el3mel

Extend Cavani's contract. Save money for other positions.

It seems Sancho won't be as expensive as he was last summer so I'll go for him. Sell VDB and sign another midfielder. A backup CB or RB would be nice. This will do for now.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Extend Cavani's contract. Save money for other positions.

It seems Sancho won't be as expensive as he was last summer so I'll go for him. Sell VDB and sign another midfielder. A backup CB or RB would be nice. This will do for now.
Agreed. I would try and get Rice and use Lingard as part of the trade.