Potential striker signings (who aren't named Højlund)

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I've got a feeling he is going to get Anthony and keep one of Amad or Pellestri as back up for the RW. Rashford to be deployed in rotation with Ronaldo

Filip#6

Is Isak out of the question?

Alot of potential, he has had a tough season so his price maybe reasonable compared to a a year ago.

NoPace

Jonathan David possibly.
I watch him for Canada and he's a tough player to evaluate. Good presser, links play well. Doesn't have the sort of lone striker vibe, but has only had good seasons so he finds a way, and also Lille have Yilkmaz so he hasn't had a ton of time in that role. He could be a better finishing Gabriel Jesus type if it works out. He's really calm in the box and not selfish.

My guess is he goes to a team that counter-attacks more than Ten Hag will focus on, so maybe the risk-averse Arteta Arsenal.

3 years left on the deal and it seems quiet, so I imagine he'll move next summer and not this one anyways.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I think the plan will be Kane next year to replace Ronaldo if we finish top 4 so what we need is either Martial remembering he’s a footballer again or a younger profile like Joao Pedro or that Ektike lad. We were never signing Nunez for that fee when we have Ronaldo here - it made zero sense spending 85m on a player who wouldn’t be first choice this season when we have so much to do elsewhere.

Bestietom

I think the plan will be Kane next year to replace Ronaldo if we finish top 4 so what we need is either Martial remembering he’s a footballer again or a younger profile like Joao Pedro or that Ektike lad. We were never signing Nunez for that fee when we have Ronaldo here - it made zero sense spending 85m on a player who wouldn’t be first choice this season when we have so much to do elsewhere.
Ronaldo will have to be played scarcely this season, imo. He is starting to pick up these nigling injuries that keep him out for a few games. A young CF that can learn from him would be ideal for this season and Ronaldo doesn't mind not playing through the middle. We could play with 2 up front in some games.

croadyman

Yeah pity the panickers in that thread can't see we are at least 5 pieces short of a puzzle whereas scousers are maybe 2.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Yeah pity the panickers in that thread can't see we are at least 5 pieces short of a puzzle whereas scousers are maybe 2.
If it wasn’t for Mane leaving I wouldn’t even know where to start improving their squad. It’s incredibly good which is why it’s so amusing Klopp being regarded as this underdog - player for player their squad this season was better than City’s. Yes, their recruitment has done miracles but now they’ve assembled it Klopp really needs to be delivering more of the big trophies.

Dante

Average bang
Ideally, we'd buy an attacker who's capable of playing a right-sided forward as well as centre forward. Basically, a replacement for what Greenwood would have provided.

That'd give us a decent set of front 3 options to add to Ronaldo, Sancho, Rashford, Amad and Elanga. Four seniors players plus two kids would be just about the right mix, imo.

EtH will want to to balance out the preference of all the existing senior players drifting out to the left. But whoever we go for will also need to be at a level to push Sancho/Rashford to their best.

I certainly don't think Nunez would fit that description. So far, Trossard has been the most realistic rumour.

Brophs

The One and Only
Slightly off topic, but there seems to be something interesting going on at the moment. City have tried to sign an out and out, physically imposing striker this summer and last. Liverpool are about to do the same. Barca want to add Lewandowski. You don’t really associate any of those clubs or coaches with that sort of striker. Maybe it’s just a weird coincidence or perhaps they’re seeing a shift in the game or an a gap that they can exploit.

Dante

Average bang
Slightly off topic, but there seems to be something interesting going on at the moment. City have tried to sign an out and out, physically imposing striker this summer and last. Liverpool are about to do the same. Barca want to add Lewandowski. You don’t really associate any of those clubs or coaches with that sort of striker. Maybe it’s just a weird coincidence or perhaps they’re seeing a shift in the game or an a gap that they can exploit.
They're pretty much the three best possession-based teams on the planet. All of them have ball playing goalies and creative frontlines.

I'm guessing the respective managers feel they can get away with only having 10 playmakers on the pitch rather than a full complement of 11. It's probably not a change in direction for the sport overall. Just a sacrifice each individual team is willing to make for their own reasons.

At United, we're automatically down to only 9 playmakers in the XI because Ronaldo and De Gea will be guaranteed starters next season. By comparison, I don't think EtH has the luxury of going for a forward who can't contribute something significant to the buildup. The same will apply to any fullbacks or midfielders we buy, of course.

userman

Any decent backup who cost under 20m would be fine for this summer.
Joao Pedro at Watford should be attainable for that figure. Young, experience from PL and the championship, has the potential of developing into a future starr, and should be fine with being a rotating/backup-option for a season. I genuinly hope that we go for this guy and I believe it makes perfect sense to do it with Ronaldo staying for another season!

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
No way Toney and Watkins are under £20mn and Pukki and Ings are nowhere near the quality. Think Mitrovic has more quality and would do a better job occupying premier league defenders.
I'd take any one of them over rashford and martial.

We were "monitoring" the situation when alvarez, haaland, nunez were signed up by our rivals and nkunku resigned.

We don't have any options anymore. Beggars can't be choosers.

Bojan Djordjic

I'd take any one of them over rashford and martial.

We were "monitoring" the situation when alvarez, haaland, nunez were signed up by our rivals and nkunku resigned.

We don't have any options anymore. Beggars can't be choosers.
There’s other leagues beyond the Premiership and indeed the top five leagues where great players are often unearthed. Look at Ajax and RB Salzburg as examples of clubs with great pedigrees for identifying top talent. I’m sure there’s lots of talent in Ukraine and Russia that would be delighted to flee the conflict.

Sparky Rhiwabon

No way Toney and Watkins are under £20mn and Pukki and Ings are nowhere near the quality. Think Mitrovic has more quality and would do a better job occupying premier league defenders.
No, Toney and Watkins would be 3x that. I was just trying to think of a half decent back up we might be able to get for £20m ish

caid

Obviously hypothetical re Mason at this stage but do you feel the same about Ronaldo?
No, I'm not aware of the details of Ronaldo's case(s). If he was caught and charged in the same circumstances he'd never play for the club again. No one would.

caid

No one knows if he's going to face charges yet.

If he doesn't then he's right back in the team whether some fans want him to be or not.
Que mass exodus of supporters, sponsors and other staff. He's finished

caid

Sponsors won't leave if he isn't charged with anything. Supporters certainly wouldn't.
The evidence against him is public and damning. Witness intimidation was added to the crimes he was questioned about. Him not being charged wont be seen as exoneration.

Nero

The evidence against him is public and damning. Witness intimidation was added to the crimes he was questioned about. Him not being charged wont be seen as exoneration.
Maybe not emotionally, but from a business standpoint it will. No sponsor would walk away.

caid

Maybe not emotionally, but from a business standpoint it will. No sponsor would walk away.
Seriously, where are you from? I feel like im talking to someone from another planet to the one im living on.

Nero

Seriously, where are you from? I feel like im talking to someone from another planet to the one im living on.
I'm looking at it from a logical standpoint, not an emotional one.

All I'm saying is that in my opinion if Greenwood faces no charges then he'll be back playing for United. It's not complicated.

Acquire Me

All I'm saying is that in my opinion if Greenwood faces no charges then he'll be back playing for United. It's not complicated.
I don’t think you are totally wrong tbh. It can happen if he faces no charges. That said, I can’t see that he or the club will get a easy ride without doing massive PR moves. The club could never just let him back in again without explaining what the heck happened and why he was never charged with anything.

Best to just see what happens. I want the footballer back obviously, the human himself is not very appealing to me.

caid

From a logical standpoint no one wants to be associated with an alleged woman beating, rapist. Unless the massive PR moves convinces people hes innocent it wont be enough and there'll be massive backlash from every corner. I meant it when i said that Ronaldo wouldn't get away with it and he can get away with a hell of a lot more than a 19 year old nobody.

VivaRonaldo85

If we start next season without Cavani, Greenwood, & Martial and Rashford stays but who knows in what form after an atrocious 21/22 season, we need a minimum two strikers/forwards.

I think Nkunku and Mitrovic would be excellent signings to compliment Ronaldo, Sancho, Rashford and Elanga.

Back to planet earth, we’ll probably bid £70 million for Richarlison on deadline day……

Gavinb33

If we start next season without Cavani, Greenwood, & Martial and Rashford stays but who knows in what form after an atrocious 21/22 season, we need a minimum two strikers/forwards.

I think Nkunku and Mitrovic would be excellent signings to compliment Ronaldo, Sancho, Rashford and Elanga.

Back to planet earth, we’ll probably bid £70 million for Richarlison on deadline day……
Sneer at Richarlison and then advocate Mitrovic we have entered silly season on the cafe.

Richarlison is miles better than Mitrovic

Withnail

No one knows if he's going to face charges yet.

If he doesn't then he's right back in the team whether some fans want him to be or not.
I don't think so. He's done. If the charges don't stick he may be able to have some form of career abroad but it's unlikely to be at a top club imo and how long will it be before he gets himself into trouble again?