Potential striker signings (who aren't named Højlund)

VivaRonaldo85

Sneer at Richarlison and then advocate Mitrovic we have entered silly season on the cafe.

Richarlison is miles better than Mitrovic
It’s about squad balance, not individual expensive signings on paper. He may be a better player but he will want first team football and at a huge price. Mitrovic may be happy to be Ronaldo’s understudy at a club like united.

Dominos

I don’t think you are totally wrong tbh. It can happen if he faces no charges. That said, I can’t see that he or the club will get a easy ride without doing massive PR moves. The club could never just let him back in again without explaining what the heck happened and why he was never charged with anything.

Best to just see what happens. I want the footballer back obviously, the human himself is not very appealing to me.
I'm not sure what these "Greenwood will never play for us again" people are suggesting will happen if he's not charged. Are they 100% sure the club will sack him? Or do they think we'll sell him? Would we be able to find a club to buy him? If he can't play for us I don't think he can play for anyone in England. Who will be the options abroad who would pay us a decent fee?

Ultimately the club surely wouldn't cancel his contract if they can sell him. Selling him achieves the club's duty to get rid of him, with the bonus of receiving a fee. If the club couldn't find a buyer, are they going to write off a massive financial asset and release him, or will they try to sneak him back into the first team and hope it all blows over eventually?

Dempsey19

If bayern can offer 30m to liverpool for mane then surely we can turn the heads of these players for less.
Watkins is is 26 with 3 years left on his contract.

Mane is 30 with his contract running out less than 12 months.

They are not comparable.

Villa would want 50m or more for Watkins.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I'm not sure what these "Greenwood will never play for us again" people are suggesting will happen if he's not charged. Are they 100% sure the club will sack him? Or do they think we'll sell him? Would we be able to find a club to buy him? If he can't play for us I don't think he can play for anyone in England. Who will be the options abroad who would pay us a decent fee?

Ultimately the club surely wouldn't cancel his contract if they can sell him. Selling him achieves the club's duty to get rid of him, with the bonus of receiving a fee. If the club couldn't find a buyer, are they going to write off a massive financial asset and release him, or will they try to sneak him back into the first team and hope it all blows over eventually?
I think you underestimate what the negative PR is that he would bring. IF gets off, it’s surely a technicality or the victim won’t press charges. Considering the weird reaction of her father that may well happen. But that doesn’t mean that he’s innocent. Personally I think the club would cancel his contract.

i believe it’s going to go through the system this summer so we will find out soon enough. But if not; and he’s held up in a backlog it could be 2 years before it goes to court. 2 years without kicking a football in a professional context. Chances are he won’t be the same player again.

my personal feeling is that we should be planning for life without him.

Dominos

I think you underestimate what the negative PR is that he would bring. IF gets off, it’s surely a technicality or the victim won’t press charges. Considering the weird reaction of her father that may well happen. But that doesn’t mean that he’s innocent. Personally I think the club would cancel his contract.

i believe it’s going to go through the system this summer so we will find out soon enough. But if not; and he’s held up in a backlog it could be 2 years before it goes to court. 2 years without kicking a football in a professional context. Chances are he won’t be the same player again.

my personal feeling is that we should be planning for life without him.
Fair enough.

The club surely must try to sell him before they do that though? Even if they take a tiny fee of £20m to a random foreign club, that's better than cancelling his contract. How realistic is it we'd be able to sell him this summer? I believe he's only on bail until mid-June so I assume we must be very close to finding out how this goes.

golden_blunder

Staff
Fair enough.

The club surely must try to sell him before they do that though? Even if they take a tiny fee of £20m to a random foreign club, that's better than cancelling his contract. How realistic is it we'd be able to sell him this summer? I believe he's only on bail until mid-June so I assume we must be very close to finding out how this goes.
I’m thinking who’s going to pay 20m on him IF he’s not proven innocent. But yeah i can’t see his next club being in the U.K. the press would hound him everywhere and the supporters would never let him forget

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Fair enough.

Swap him for de jong from barcelona. They might bite.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
No one knows if he's going to face charges yet.

If he doesn't then he's right back in the team whether some fans want him to be or not.
There is absolutely no way the club would allow this to happen and it's complete delusion to think otherwise.

The negative media attention, the damage to the brand, the uproar in the womens team...Greenwood will never, ever appear in a Man Utd shirt again, and rightfully so.

FromTheBench

There is absolutely no way the club would allow this to happen and it's complete delusion to think otherwise.

The negative media attention, the damage to the brand, the uproar in the womens team...Greenwood will never, ever appear in a Man Utd shirt again, and rightfully so.
If he's not charged then on what basis can the club sack him?

He will be back and after initial uproar it will settle.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
If he's not charged then on what basis can the club sack him?

He will be back and after initial uproar it will settle.
On the basis that there's very incriminating video evidence that the football club would absolutely want to distance themselves from. The brand damage and loss of support would not be worth it. It's not even a question.

In fact I'd happily do a €50 bet for charity that he never plays for Man Utd again, regardless of whether he's charged or not - any takers? Loser can donate the €50 to womens aid, or some similar charity.

It simply will not happen.

Back on topic, the more I read about Nunez the more he seems like a potentially class player. Tough to find another player with the same ceiling.

croadyman

On the basis that there's very incriminating video evidence that the football club would absolutely want to distance themselves from. The brand damage and loss of support would not be worth it. It's not even a question.

In fact I'd happily do a €50 bet for charity that he never plays for Man Utd again, regardless of whether he's charged or not - any takers? Loser can donate the €50 to womens aid, or some similar charity.

It simply will not happen.

Back on topic, the more I read about Nunez the more he seems like a potentially class player. Tough to find another player with the same ceiling.
Apparently the price scared us off

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I will literally do this bet on everyone on redcafe that is willing. That confident he will not play again!
Think he meant the price scared us off Nunez, not your €50 bet. :lol:

But you are of course right about Greenwood. The idea that the club and sponsors would willfully do untold reputational damage to themselves by supporting him with that audio in constant circulation is deranged. Unless it gets actively proven to be other than what it sounded like, he doesn't set foot on a pitch for us again.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Think he meant the price scared us off Nunez, not your €50 bet. :lol:

But you are of course right about Greenwood. The idea that the club and sponsors would willfully do untold reputational damage to themselves by supporting him with that audio in constant circulation is deranged. Unless it gets actively proven to be other than what it sounded like, he doesn't set foot on a pitch for us again.
Ah, fair :lol:.

Yeah I mean spunking our whole load on Nunez, given that he has already had a cruciate problem especially, when we have problems in arguably 10/11 positions would be...a bit fecking stupid, in fairness!

I just hope the Greenwood stuff stops soon because Twitter is a cesspool of weirdo accounts lauding him/comparing him to Johnny Depp etc.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I personally wouldn't want to see Greenwood in a United shirt ever again whatever the outcome of his case. I hope we invest in a young striker who could learn from Ronaldo and one who keeps his head down and focuses on becoming a leading starter for us in the future

SWE-Chucky

Supports
AIK Stockholm
I personally wouldn't want to see Greenwood in a United shirt ever again whatever the outcome of his case. I hope we invest in a young striker who could learn from Ronaldo and one who keeps his head down and focuses on becoming a leading starter for us in the future
No matter if he is guilty or not? (Not saying he is or he is not, just asking because if he is not then why should he not play for us again?)

Chicharo

Even if Greenwood is innocent, what can we expect from him? Has he practiced all this time? How long before he is in the shape again? He a has been, and we need a striker.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
No matter if he is guilty or not? (Not saying he is or he is not, just asking because if he is not then why should he not play for us again?)
Being unable to prove his guilt beyond reasonable doubt wouldn't make him not guilty. I'd be very surprised if they can't prove him guilty in this case though anyway.

R0nald0

Under a rug on top of a mountain under the stars.
I think we have bigger priorities this summer than a back up striker who would under study a player who notoriously plays almost every game (I get the age thing). I'd much prefer we concentrate our efforts in other positions whilst utilising Martial, Rashford, Greenwood (maybe) as under study to Ronaldo. If there is little chance in Mason returning (and the club will already have a very strong idea of this) then we need to be buying a RW and I'd be happy if they could also understudy Ronaldo in the same way of say Rashford does, or Mane did at LFC last season.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I think we have bigger priorities this summer than a back up striker who would under study a player who notoriously plays almost every game (I get the age thing). I'd much prefer we concentrate our efforts in other positions whilst utilising Martial, Rashford, Greenwood (maybe) as under study to Ronaldo. If there is little chance in Mason returning (and the club will already have a very strong idea of this) then we need to be buying a RW and I'd be happy if they could also understudy Ronaldo in the same way of say Rashford does, or Mane did at LFC last season.
Ronaldo will get injured then what?
Martial reportdley wants to leave this summer, and Cavani has left and Greenwood is likely finished even if he is not charged.
Ronaldo also cannot play all the games this season, especially over christmas. We’ll break him like we did last season

Cassidy

If Nunez was really the only striker target then nothing really has changed with this club

R0nald0

Under a rug on top of a mountain under the stars.
Ronaldo will get injured then what?
Martial reportdley wants to leave this summer, and Cavani has left and Greenwood is likely finished even if he is not charged.
Ronaldo also cannot play all the games this season, especially over christmas. We’ll break him like we did last season
We have Ronaldo, Martial, Rashford, (maybe) Greenwood, plus a RW that can cover CF. We should bring in a back up only if we sell one of Martial/Rashford IMO. In an ideal world, I'd prefer to buy someone, I just think we have bigger priorities - CM / CM / RW / RB / CB - if we can get our preferred targets in these roles and we have funds left over then we should then look at CF

Cassidy

We have Ronaldo, Martial, Rashford, (maybe) Greenwood, plus a RW that can cover CF. We should bring in a back up only if we sell one of Martial/Rashford IMO. In an ideal world, I'd prefer to buy someone, I just think we have bigger priorities - CM / CM / RW / RB / CB - if we can get our preferred targets in these roles and we have funds left over then we should then look at CF
Rashford is not a striker he is an option out wide. martial is permanently injured and wants to leave and we more than likely wont have Greenwood.

That leaves us with a 38 yr old next season who we already know cannot play every game

Devil may care

There's audio evidence and pictures, if these were faked it would have been proven by now, so even if money and power provide a not guilty it's like the Rodney King case in the eyes of most reasonable people.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
If he can't play for us I don't think he can play for anyone in England.
Not every club has the same standards. Look at the reports saying we werent interested in Bissouma over his investigation. Spurs clearly weren't. Then there's the likes of Millwall and as a last resort there's Russia where they wouldnt care. Spartak is playing Promes, a murder suspect.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I would love to see Patrick Schick at the club. He's already playing at a high level and I think can make the jump. Whether he would fit in a Ten Haag system is another question but he has plenty of ability.

Redcy

The issue is not if he is proven guilty. Unless he can somehow show complete innocence, ie it wasn’t him, or he was never there,, or it’s a deep fake, then him not being proven guilty will not wash. I think the only way out will abroad

NoPace

Not every club has the same standards. Look at the reports saying we werent interested in Bissouma over his investigation. Spurs clearly weren't. Then there's the likes of Millwall and as a last resort there's Russia where they wouldnt care. Spartak is playing Promes, a murder suspect.
I floated a cynical conversion to Islam and scoring 60 goals a season in Qatar, but Russia could work

golden_blunder

Staff
Greenwood won’t be playing football for us next season

NoPace

Ings being floated. I do think he might suit Ten Hag well as Cristiano's backup as he's quite a neat player and can obviously finish. Physically below average and only going to decline, so value is tough, but as a backup for Cristiano and then an expensive new #9 next year he'd probably do okay. And logically a finisher with poor physical attributes makes more sense than a rawer player as a backup 9 if the plan is to have the ball and a high line anyways.

Would it be a loan or I guess we just buy him for like 10M and loan out Martial?

Andersons Dietician

Greenwood won’t be playing football for us next season
Supposedly rejoining the squad on the 12th of July after the Liverpool game. Not sure what that means for his future with the club but that sounds like he’ll be in or around the squad. Will he play is another question though.

Negative Red

Is Alexander Isak still available? Thought he would've been on the radar for a few big clubs this Summer.

Tarrou

Supposedly rejoining the squad on the 12th of July after the Liverpool game. Not sure what that means for his future with the club but that sounds like he’ll be in or around the squad. Will he play is another question though.
This isn’t true is it?

golden_blunder

Staff
Where did you read that rubbish? I bet you read one of those false releases from last week

NoPace

Joao Felix might move. I wonder if we could do an expensive loan with an option to buy for a huge number? Would give us a 9 who likes to drop deep and playmake which might suit Ten Hag well. Could split time with Cristiano, though might be awkward with them fighting (along with others) for a starting spot for Portugal.

croadyman

Zapata for me is hugely underrated. In fact I would go for Zapata, Kante, De Jong, Eriksen and Timber as our summer transfers
Don't see Chelsea selling a midfielder to us for the third time in 8 years, also concerned about can he stay fit for enough games now