Potential striker signings (who aren't named Højlund)

Trequarista10

Anyone else worried that we aren't linked with any attacker except Antony (whos transfer seems dead in the water)?
Not worried yet but certainly curious. There are so many questions. How does ETH regard Martial and Rashford example, can he get better out of them, does he see them as wide men or 9s? Does he believe any of the young lads like Diallo, Pellestri, Elanga, Chong, Hugill, McNeil, Shoretire, Hannibal etc are first teamers in the near future, and if so what positions does he think they're best suited to? Will the club simply refuse to sell Ronaldo, and if they do will Ronaldo react positively? Does ETH see Bruno playing as a false 9 as a legitimate tactic? Does he want Sancho playing more often from the left or the right? Will or when will he who shall not be named go to court?

My suspicion is we aren't making a move at the moment because management aren't yet sure of the answers to some of these questions. But the clock is ticking, and I'd hope we add at least one forward in the next few weeks.

jamesjimmybyrondean

ETH said few days ago that he wants another forward on top what he has (including Ronaldo)
Ideally we'd get another forward but I don't see that happening right now. Ronaldo and Martial are our strikers and I highly doubt we'd buy another until one of them is sold. We could get an RW but the only one that seems to be worth the salt is Antony and we've been priced out of a move

croadyman

Ideally we'd get another forward but I don't see that happening right now. Ronaldo and Martial are our strikers and I highly doubt we'd buy another until one of them is sold. We could get an RW but the only one that seems to be worth the salt is Antony and we've been priced out of a move
Priced out for now but think that could change

VanDeBank

Ma’am
According to the Barca fan papers, Spurs have offered 17m euro for Memphis. Barca want 20.
He's not really ETH's ideal CF, but he's probably the best in his price range.

We should have been all over a CF when Voldemort happened.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Toney would be an interesting buy for the right price but I would assume Brentford would look for a lot more than what we might consider the right price.

Telsim

A lot of good are Martinez, Eriksen and (presumably) De Jong going to do if we go into the new season with Sancho, Martial, Ronaldo, Rashford and Elanga up top. We need a quality forward and we are not being linked with anyone 3 weeks before league start. Disappointing.

TOKUGAWA-X

I have always thought Toney was a technical, physical, versatile CF.

ETH can use him for sure.

Bojan Djordjic

Proper number 9 would be nice and when Ronaldo goes gives us a different option to the others
Shouldn’t a proper number nine be scoring v goals from play at a reasonable level. Toney nowhere near that level if you ask me. Given our wings aren’t really reliable goalscorers, it’d be risky to have a striker that doesn’t feed himself.

Loony BoB

If it has always been of interest then why did we sell him? I don't buy the "oh yeah, always been interested" part.

Joeycha88

I’d welcome Memphis back if he is cool with being a rotational player. He could play multiple positions for us which adds quality depth. Not sure the wage situation with him? Does Barca also owe him ?

Rauður Djöfull

If you Google Jonathan David you'll find links or news about our interest and that we have a free run at him

I guess that's how it is when you Google any player though, always some BS link to Man Utd: /

croadyman

If you Google Jonathan David you'll find links or news about our interest and that we have a free run at him

I guess that's how it is when you Google any player though, always some BS link to Man Utd: /
Yeah never believe a word about Utd transfer links until the usual sources confirm interest

worldinmotion66

Would buying Depay be a work around for the rules about paying De Jong's outstanding wages? Seems we've explored paying them ourselves but can't.

The fee being reported is in the exact range that De Jong is reportedly owed, so maybe we agree to buy Depay on the proviso that they use the money to pay De Jong so that we can complete that deal too. Win Win for everyone concerned. Perhaps the only hold up is that we need ronaldo gone before agreeing to signing Depay?

RedWilliam

Osimhen, Sesko or Schick. One of them (or two) would've awesome. Unlikely though. Can't really see any others. Jonathan David maybe?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Would buying Depay be a work around for the rules about paying De Jong's outstanding wages? Seems we've explored paying them ourselves but can't.

The fee being reported is in the exact range that De Jong is reportedly owed, so maybe we agree to buy Depay on the proviso that they use the money to pay De Jong so that we can complete that deal too. Win Win for everyone concerned. Perhaps the only hold up is that we need ronaldo gone before agreeing to signing Depay?
Is that a win for Depay?

Go somewhere as a makeweight in a deal to be what 5th or 6th choice attacker ... and somewhere you have been before and been pretty spectacularly unsuccessful

Im not sure he would see it as win win

worldinmotion66

Is that a win for Depay?

Go somewhere as a makeweight in a deal to be what 5th or 6th choice attacker ... and somewhere you have been before and been pretty spectacularly unsuccessful

Im not sure he would see it as win win
Presuming Ronaldo goes, he'd be immediate back up for Martial and Rashford, and I'm sure he'd fancy his chances of breaking into the team. He'd get plenty of games. He's not getting in at Barca ahead of lewandowski, aubameyang, Fati, Dembele or Raphinha. I think we're one of the best clubs he could join and still get in the side.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Presuming Ronaldo goes, he'd be immediate back up for Martial and Rashford, and I'm sure he'd fancy his chances of breaking into the team. He'd get plenty of games. He's not getting in at Barca ahead of lewandowski, aubameyang, Fati, Dembele or Raphinha. I think we're one of the best clubs he could join and still get in the side.
That's a bold presumption given his wages and as of now I would say Ronaldo, Sancho, Rashford, Martial, Bruno as a false 9 would all be ahead of him and who knows what will happen with Greenwood

I believe Depay was on 7 million a month and he's deferred 2 million a month last season (so is owed something like 24m euros) so I'm assuming we will then also have to sign I dunno Pique or somebody to sweeten the Depay deal ... oh no they owe him a stuipd amount of back wages (50m euros) as well but perhaps we can get aubamyang ... damn they owe him wages as well dont they ( https://dailycannon.com/2022/04/barcelona-aubameyang-wages/ )

So yeah besides it not being a good move for Depay IMO or united - where would this idea of buying an extra player to offset deffered wages end?

Last edited:

worldinmotion66

That's a bold presumption given his wages and as of now I would say Ronaldo, Sancho, Rashford, Martial, Bruno as a false 9 would all be ahead of him and who knows what will happen with Greenwood

I believe Depay was on 7 million a month and he's deferred 2 million a month last season (so is owed something like 24m euros) so I'm assuming we will then also have to sign I dunno Pique or somebody to sweeten the Depay deal ... oh no they owe him a stuipd amount of back wages (50m euros) as well but perhaps we can get aubamyang ... damn they owe him wages as well dont they ( https://dailycannon.com/2022/04/barcelona-aubameyang-wages/ )

So yeah besides it not being a good move for Depay IMO or united - where would this idea of buying an extra player to offset deffered wages end?
Now they've sold more of their rights, the idea of funding the owed wages is a moot point now anyway.

Bruno in a position he doesn't play (not to mention severely reducing his skillet) ahead of an internationally recognised striker with a goal every other game record? Come on! I get that you and many others don't rate him, and he wouldn't be my first choice either. But give the guy a bit of respect. He's a far better player than when he left us.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I do not know the detail, but the Luka Jovic's free transfer from Real Madrid to Fiorentina is extremely weird. Why no other club is interested in his service? Let alone free transfer?

NoPace

Seems like a question for next summer, though maybe we'll sign Sesko or the giant Austrian kid and loan them back for a year to sweeten it?

bucky

Marcus Thuram could be an option. Since his spitting incident things haven't exactly gone to plan for him, but he could be someone who is available for a decent price. Still 24 and still plenty of room to improve. His contract runs out next summer. Works fairly hard ouf of possession, has the physicality that's needed and is decent when it comes to aerial duels. I just don't see us signing someone like Osimhen or Abraham, so we'll most likely have to take a risk.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Marcus Thuram could be an option. Since his spitting incident things haven't exactly gone to plan for him, but he could be someone who is available for a decent price. Still 24 and still plenty of room to improve. His contract runs out next summer. Works fairly hard ouf of possession, has the physicality that's needed and is decent when it comes to aerial duels. I just don't see us signing someone like Osimhen or Abraham, so we'll most likely have to take a risk.
I thought he was pretty nailed on to go Spurs at one point and it went cold all of a sudden.