Potential striker signings (who aren't named Højlund)

bucky

I thought he was pretty nailed on to go Spurs at one point and it went cold all of a sudden.
Like I said, there was a drop-off in terms of performances following that incident, which probably were the reasons why he didn't get his move. But, generally his underlying stats and his talent are still intriguing.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Marcus Thuram could be an option. Since his spitting incident things haven't exactly gone to plan for him, but he could be someone who is available for a decent price. Still 24 and still plenty of room to improve. His contract runs out next summer. Works fairly hard ouf of possession, has the physicality that's needed and is decent when it comes to aerial duels. I just don't see us signing someone like Osimhen or Abraham, so we'll most likely have to take a risk.
Thuram isn't good enough, EL level player at best (though we are there ironically :p ).

Technically weak, just physically strong and quick. Not an amazing goalscorer as well, though he's played mostly as a LW at Gladbach.

If there is any striker I want from the BL, it's Schick and noone else.

bucky

Thuram isn't good enough, EL level player at best (though we are there ironically :p ).

Technically weak, just physically strong and quick. Not an amazing goalscorer as well, though he's played mostly as a LW at Gladbach.

If there is any striker I want from the BL, it's Schick and noone else.
Schick simply won't happen, like Osimhen and Abraham he would be too expensive. Thuram is merely a suggestion in terms of value.

Lyng

Schick simply won't happen, like Osimhen and Abraham he would be too expensive. Thuram is merely a suggestion in terms of value.
If Ronaldo stays this season we should go all out for Schick next season, and probably start talking to him already. We need that quality not lower.

bucky

If Ronaldo stays this season we should go all out for Schick next season, and probably start talking to him already. We need that quality not lower.
There's no guarantee whether Ronaldo stays or not. Frankly I think he should be moved on immediately, which would mean we'd definitely need a striker this summer, not the next one. Things can change quickly in one year, there's good chance that Schick won't be the best striker available next summer. Someone unknown might have emerged by then.

Sea-Cow

I'm too lazy to search for posts / threads about Goncalo Ramos from Benfica. He just turned 20 In June. I didn't know a thing about him until I saw him listed in an article from Breaking The Lines that had statistical analysis of possible C. Ronaldo replacements we should target this summer.

Then I saw that he scored a hattrick today against Mitjylland and was reminded that he looks like he could be quality. Reminds me of Kun Aguero.

From the article:

Goncalo Ramos – Benfica

One of the reasons why the striker market is looking so bare at the moment is because some of the big available targets were snapped up early on. Erling Haaland secured his move to Manchester City, and Liverpool spent big on Benfica’s Darwin Nunez, beating United to his signature.

Nunez is an excellent player for sure, but the reported £85 million transfer fee has certainly raised eyebrows, especially when Goncalo Ramos plays in the same side, and could be available for a fraction of the price.

Ramos looks destined for the top, and it would be no surprise to see him making a big move to Europe in the future, just like Nunez did. His defensive contribution is elite, with smarterscout giving him an 86 ‘disrupt’ score and a 93 ‘recover’ score.

n addition, in his short career, he has demonstrated a good finishing ability and goalscoring sense, scoring 7 goals from 8.9 xG in his 29 appearances for Benfica in the 2021/22 Portuguese Primeira Liga.

He has also shown a good dribbling ability and is an extremely physically strong forward, which allows him to hold the ball up well.

He is a versatile player who keeps defenders guessing with a variety of movements, regularly running off the shoulder, pinning centre-backs, or dropping into midfield to collect the ball. He even featured as an attacking midfielder in big Champions League matches, as Benfica occasionally changed their shape from a 4-4-2 to a 4-2-3-1 in that competition.

o what’s the problem? He sounds like the perfect option right? Well, probably not yet. Unfortunately, it’s difficult to say that he’d be able to make the step up from academy breakthrough at Benfica to Cristiano Ronaldo replacement at Manchester United so quickly, it is a very big jump.

Ramos would be an absolutely fantastic signing for United to make if he was brought in as back-up to Ronaldo, or in addition to a Ronaldo replacement, but he’s probably too inexperienced to make that leap just yet.

aeh1991

Maybe Jamie Vardy could be an option together with Sesko if CR7 leaves

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
There's really a dearth in striking talent at the moment huh. I haven't been even intrigued by anyone, I think the only decent option was Schick, but he's just signed a new deal, so clearly not even that highly rated.

Bojan Djordjic

Maybe Jamie Vardy could be an option together with Sesko if CR7 leaves
Think we need to move away from these type of forward signings. We need players who can grow and peak with the team we have now. Also, most importantly, the CAF must surely be team Colleen and couldn't countenance providing financial support to Rebekah Vardy.

aeh1991

Can't see it happening
Me neither. But if there's any chance, we should try it. LFC needs money and Vardy's contract runs out next year. He'd bring the right mixture of experience, quality, mentality and is EPL-proven. Him and Sesko for Ronaldo would be too good to be true.

Edit: Oh i totally forgot about the Rebekah Vardy vs Colleen Rooney thing. Well, nevermind..

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
There's really a dearth in striking talent at the moment huh. I haven't been even intrigued by anyone, I think the only decent option was Schick, but he's just signed a new deal, so clearly not even that highly rated.
David is a very good player and not too expensive.

userman

Joao Pedro at Watford. A diamond in the rough. A perfect backup option for Ronaldo next season.

(I highly doubt we sign another striker unless we manage to sell Martial)
Got of to a good start scoring the only goal of the game against Sheffield Utd on Monday.

I genuinely think this guy could become a great player!
Would be a very good alternative and competition to Martial up front, as well as being versatile enough to act as cover across the front three.
Wouldn’t cost the world I assume..

Amadevs

Supports
United
If Liverpool can spend 85 millions on Nunez, why we can't spend 85 millions on Osimhen? It' not like we are not even in great need them they? It' 2022, the market is like it is, so just spend some bloody cash!

Bojan Djordjic

If Liverpool can spend 85 millions on Nunez, why we can't spend 85 millions on Osimhen? It' not like we are not even in great need them they? It' 2022, the market is like it is, so just spend some bloody cash!
Isn't that what Napoli spent on Osimhen? Doubtful they would let him go for par or less as they're notoriously difficult to deal with.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Isn't that what Napoli spent on Osimhen? Doubtful they would let him go for par or less as they're notoriously difficult to deal with.
Is he even that good? I know he cost a bomb and is talked about a lot in here, but I know next to nothing about him. What kind of striker is he?

Bojan Djordjic

Is he even that good? I know he cost a bomb and is talked about a lot in here, but I know next to nothing about him. What kind of striker is he?
He hasn't breached 15 goals in a season and he would be very expensive. He's not pretty but personally think he would be very good for us. He generates lots of shots for himself and he gives defenders a torrid time.

NoPace

David is a very good player and not too expensive.
Having seen us play a bit under Ten Hag now, I think David would be really good at what Ten Hag wants from the striker in possession as he's quite good at finding space and laying the ball off, but he doesn't score headers (one last year, looks like 0 the year before, for Lille) so maybe not a great fit if we peg teams back with possession AND they're happy to sit deep and try to kill us on the counter, which is sort of what I expect in most games.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
Having seen us play a bit under Ten Hag now, I think David would be really good at what Ten Hag wants from the striker in possession as he's quite good at finding space and laying the ball off, but he doesn't score headers (one last year, looks like 0 the year before, for Lille) so maybe not a great fit if we peg teams back with possession AND they're happy to sit deep and try to kill us on the counter, which is sort of what I expect in most games.
I think that’s why none of the links are to this kind of player. We have those, and maybe eth wants the other option.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

The next big thing from Molde. Still very raw but he has immense potential. Seen a lot of him and he looks just as exciting as Haaland did when he was here (albeit he was a year younger).

Really hope we’re watching him. He can be ours for peanuts.

Sea-Cow

The next big thing from Molde. Still very raw but he has immense potential. Seen a lot of him and he looks just as exciting as Haaland did when he was here (albeit he was a year younger).

Those clips look like a man against boys. Impressive! Does he ever use his left?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Ronaldo will probably throw a huge spanner in our works by causing a major upset days before the transfer window closes to force a leave. We'll need to replace him with someone whose experienced, who'll have some resale value (since he'll probably be a panic buy and a panic buy will probably fail), who would accept the bench but who can also lead our line. I'd say we should go for Kalajdzic. The guy is huge, he's got an eye for goal, he won't cost us a fortune and its possible to sell him if things do not work out. Alternatively we can go for Mousa Dembele who also have a 1 year left in his contract. I also suggest that we buy a kid for the long term ie someone like Sesko.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
There just has to be a Brazilian or Argentinian Striker who is currently being hyped up.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Those clips look like a man against boys. Impressive! Does he ever use his left?
Several of his goals are with his left. In general I think it’s more a case of having that extra bit of time and control to put it on his favored foot rather than him being one-footed.

Not sure how it works with Brexit but ideally this is the kind of market we should be exploiting. Buy gems on a cheap from leagues where they are playing senior football while getting EL/UCL experience. These are the ones that go the Holland/Belgium/Austria > Portugal/Germany > big money England/Spain route.

The players we buy at similar ages typically have little/no senior football experience. We’re basically paying for potential they have shown against other kids.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I’m a bit surprised there haven’t been stronger links to Leao and Martinez at the Milan clubs. Both of those clubs seem a bit short on money this summer, Inter especially. I think Leao is the better of the two, but both could do a job. Jonathan David has also done a bit more in the game than Sesko, and Lille definitely need to make sales.

zaafi

I’m a bit surprised there haven’t been stronger links to Leao and Martinez at the Milan clubs. Both of those clubs seem a bit short on money this summer, Inter especially. I think Leao is the better of the two, but both could do a job. Jonathan David has also done a bit more in the game than Sesko, and Lille definitely need to make sales.
Rafael Leão is a left winger so we don't really need him, but the sky is the limit for him. Amazing player. I do like Lautaro Martinez as well, but not sure he's a good fit as a target man for Ten Hag. Seems more like a second striker, playing behind the striker the way Griezmann did. I haven't seen Jonathan David in matches so won't really comment on him, but his compilations look very underwhelming.

I don't like to say it, but if Ronaldo leaves, I think our best bet would be to get Aubameyang on a cheap. Even if age is catching up to him, he's still a decent striker and got great off the ball movement. Sesko sounds way more exciting and got great potential but €50 millions for an unproven 19 year old from the Austrian league is way too much. And quite frankly, anyone who thinks he's going to come in to the Premier League and deliver as our main striker are having a laugh.

Bojan Djordjic

Think Milan are looking for crazy money for Leao. I thought I remember him being linked to Barcelona but they were looking for 100mn

Sea-Cow

There just has to be a Brazilian or Argentinian Striker who is currently being hyped up.
Is Portuguese close enough? Check out my post above for Goncalo Ramos! He looks very similar to Kun Aguero and he's very young.

Bojan Djordjic

Couple of other names I've considered are someone like Giovanni Simeone and Youssef En-Nesyri (both decent pressers and have shown that they can score 15+ goals in a season) or if we wanted a young Sesko alternative, someone like Moukoko at Dortmund.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Mame Biram Diouf Regen :drool:

IRN-BRUno

Kalimuendo still available from PSG for just over £20m, would make more sense than potentially spending over double that amount on Sesko.

Bojan Djordjic

Kalimuendo still available from PSG for just over £20m, would make more sense than potentially spending over double that amount on Sesko.
I would definitely be open to that but having said that I feel Sesko has a far higher ceiling. Kalimuendo would be a stop gap whereas Sesko has the ability to be a future starter.

Moiraine

I would take Aleksandar Mitrović in a heart beat.
I think he has potential to surpass both Haaland and Darwin Núñez.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Bologna turned down a 8-9m€ offer from us for Arnautovic.
We really are scraping the bottom of the barrel here. :(

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Bologna turned down a 8-9m€ offer from us for Arnautovic.
We really are scraping the bottom of the barrel here. :(
Pounce for him at 15 million and get neves in. Transfer job done.

Jack-C20

Based on a massive two viewings last year and the fact he scored today, Ivan Toney. You may think that’s not enough time to judge someone but it’s way more time than I’ve spent watching anyone else we’re linked with. Except Arnautovic of course.