Potential Winners/Losers of the Euro 2020 delay

Skills

Snitch
Obviously over the course of the year a lot can change with injuries etc but at the moment, which of the national teams will be most happy/disappointed about the Euros being delayed?

Portugal - I guess they wouldn't be too happy. It's another year, they have to roll a dice and see if Cristiano Ronaldo can keep up his form/fitness and potentially take them to a title. If his form visibly declines next year, their odds suffer.

England - potentially this works in their favour. Rashford and Kanes's injuries would've been a bit of cloud over England's campaign. Race to get them fit and a question mark on whether they're really ready to play. They'll hope, with a bit of luck they'll be fit and firing all of next season and into the Euros.

Judas

Open to offers
Greenwood/Sancho/Rashford will have had a bit of time playing together at club level, the chemistry will be immense and they'll lead our bravo lions to victory.

GenZRed

I would hope this benefits England since, as OP stated, having Kane return from an injury at the start of the summer would not be good for England. Having said that, knowing him and injuries, he will probably just end up getting injured again next spring for three months.

Utdstar01

Maybe England will have a decent Midfield in a year's time too.

(...)

Supports
Arsenal
France is a winner. A lot of players had long injuries this season : Pogba, Kante, Coman, Lloris, Sissoko, Tolisso, Hernandez, Dembele, Umtiti.
Griezmann is finding it hard to settle at Barcelona, same for Pavard at Bayern and N'Dombele at Tottenham. Giroud is barely playing and M'Bappe had a few controversies this season.
I feel that a delayed Euro gives those players a chance to get back to form, and none of them are too old at this point to retire/decline massively before next season.

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
Netherlands definitely a winner.

Our best players are young. Memphis and Malen are injured and we've got talent coming through.

IrishRick

Republic of Ireland if we do end up qualifying. Good group of youngsters coming through. Some may break in a year down the line. Connolly at Brighton looks decent the year will help him, Parrott at Spurs will hopefully have a loan spell, Idah and Michael Obafemi will have a lot more games under their belts. Molumby looks a decent young player in the midfield and Nathan Collins in defence. Nobody world class but certainly they all have a higher potential than what we currently field

Canagel

Belgium is a loser I think. their golden generation is getting old and running out of time to win a major trophy, a postponement is not good.

(...)

Supports
Arsenal
Pavard doesn't have a hard time to settle. He is the starting rb with kimmich playing in midfield.
Yes, but I still feel that he hasn't stepped up as we expecting him to do in France. But the good news for NT is that he's playing at RB not as a CB.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Yep, the Belgium squad would have been looking to this as their big chance. Their defence is pretty old now and people like Witsel and Mertens too. Won't help them to be postponed.

It's great for England. Time for them to figure out who should be playing as a GK and the midfield.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Croatia loser. Rakitic, Perisic and Modric will be one year older and who knows will they play next year.
England clear winner because of Kane and Rashford obviously

siw2007

I think England are potentially a big winner. We went into the tournament with big injuries to Kane and Rashford, we would have stood no chance without them, if they are fit for next summer we will be a bigger threat. There is more time for another centre back to establish themselves alongside Maguire, Maguire is really our only top class senior central defender as the likes of Stones and Keane have not impressed, hopefully Gomez can step up or maybe Tuanzebe can get the run of luck and break into the side. Also, its more time for us to potentially fix the midfield, we actually have a lot of midfielders but I'm never impressed with the group we pick, we have some young talented players like Grealish, Maddison, Mount ands Foden, would like to see these establish themselves as top players though I think some maybe a few more years away.

Also feel it will benefit other top sides coming through such as Netherlands who are re emerging as a force in Europe.

It's a hit to some of the older teams like Croatia and Belgium who have perhaps had their golden generation and are coming out the other side.

U4E

Denmark is a big loser.

We are currently unbeaten in the previous 34 matches*, if you include the loss on penalties to Croatia during the 2018 World Cup. We were supposed to play all 3 group matches in Copenhagen, but who knows if that will happen now. Futhermore, current coach Åge Hareide has already been replaced by Kasper Hjulmand, who was supposed to take over after the EUROs. It has thus been confirmed that Hareide will not be in charge for the 2021 EUROs. Hareide also has the second highest win percentage of all coaches who was in charge for at least 20 games - only surpassed by Richard Møller Nielsen, who lead us to victory in the 1992 European Championship and the 1995 Confederations Cup

*We did lose a friendly to Slovakia, but it is not regarded in Denmark as an official match. From Wiki:

"Owing to a dispute with the players' union regarding the commercial rights of the players,[39] the Danish Football Association named an entirely uncapped squad, consisting of a mixture of futsal players and players from the Danish 2nd Division and the Denmark Series (the third and fourth tier of Danish football respectively), in lieu of the regular side, to face Slovakia in a pre-Nations League friendly"

Inter Yer Nan

England and France benefit. Portugal I suppose have Ronaldo get a year older but Joao Felix will be a better player in a year and as good as Bruno is now he'll be better in a year too. Belgium I suppose lose out a little.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
We're big losers because Hamrén got a 1 year extension and our players will be 1 year older (assuming we qualify at all). The manager has done exactly nothing to replace the old squad so after the tournament the team is going to fall hard.

Njord

Norway, if we qualify, will benefit from another year of development for Ajer, Berge, Ødegaard and Haaland. We might also see other players, such as Østigård and Evjen, establish themselves in the NT.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
How about club teams?

In the Champions League it may favour some

Real Madrid - A good chance to regroup and overturn the second leg against City
Chelsea - 3-0 down but a few weeks/months rest may help them pull of an upset, unlikely but still.

Premier League

Liverpool - They've been 'poor' in their last few games or so. They could use this time to recharge their batteries and seal the title when it resumes - they would've won the title anyway but I think this 'break' will help them.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea - 3-0 down but a few weeks/months rest may help them pull of an upset, unlikely but still.
I actually think we would have stood a better chance if the football didn't stop.

Those Liverpool/Everton games gained us some serious momentum with Gilmours emergence alongside Barkley, Pedro and Willian hitting a hot spell. Our momentum plus the potential of leaders nerves (which seems to be a big thing in CL these days) could have given us a flicker had we opened the scoring on the night.

It was bloody annoying timing (and yes before anyone says anything I know health comes first but I can care about people's lives and miss football, neither are mutually exclusive).

Skills

Snitch
Yep, the Belgium squad would have been looking to this as their big chance. Their defence is pretty old now and people like Witsel and Mertens too. Won't help them to be postponed.

It's great for England. Time for them to figure out who should be playing as a GK and the midfield.
Then again, having Hazard coming into the tournament fit next year could make all the difference.

What do people make of Germany? Winners/Losers or not really effected?

norm87cro

England definetly. Such a strong offence but a clear lack of quality in midfield. By next year I would excpect some AFM and prehaps Henderson (the keeper) to add to the squad alongside the attack options

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Memphis will play now which is great for the Dutch

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Could be good for Scotland. Enough time for Gilmour to consolidate his first-team credentials, McGinn and Tierney to get back fit, and Clarke to get the team tightened up. Subject to qualification of course and Haaland is only going to get better.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Ukraine had built up good momentum and team spirit with a very good qualifying campaign. That will be tough to sustain as they don't have much depth.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Foden might be in the conversation for the Euros next season with another 250 minutes under his belt, game changer.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
So how is this looking a year later? Player wise:

Winners: Foden, Grealish, Benzema, Muller, Hummels, Depay
Losers: Martial, Ings, Sterling/Werner (in the squads but both have been awful all season), Arnold, Dijk, Giroud (return of Benz kills him)

Team wise it's a bit more difficult to predict. Belgium's golden gen is running out of chances but at the same time they have even more experience now + Lukaku seems to be playing his best ever football. The likes of Modric and Ronaldo being a year older isn't good for their respective teams.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I don't think Werner is any worse off than last season. He never was a top performer for die Mannschaft or clearly above the other attackers. And Löw doesn't really care too much about club form anyway.