PR Draft QF: Enigma vs Elegancia

Who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
vs
---------------------------------------- TEAM ENIGMA ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- TEAM ELEGANCIA --------------------------------------------------

TEAM ENIGMA

Formation: 4-3-3
Style: Build around der Kaiser in the heart of defence, direct style with quick transitions and hitting the opposition with pace.

Defence:
Franz Beckenbauer
bosses the defence, that is tailored to get the best of him with a more defensive minded Bergomi on the right, able to tuck in and allow him to foray forward, a classic strong and rigid stopper in Shesternyov and a more attacking full back on the side in Maxime Bossis is in more attacking role who will surge forward when we're on the ball to overlap Cristiano and help the attack. Having Garrincha on the right brings more balance to that wing compared to the comments in the game before, as Mane Garrincha doesn't need much support to own that flank in the attacking phase.

On the other hand Bossis is a very balanced and complete full back, skilled and able to contribute forward more considering the era he played in.

Midfield:
Rijkaard
at the base, will protect the back four and shield the defence forming a formidable understanding with Beckenbauer. Rijkaard is well suited to hold fort having played with another libero in Baresi and is perfect for the holding role. Bremner plays in his natural B2B role, disrupting the opposition midfield and breaking up play. He is comfortable on the ball to keep it simple and allow David Silva who is the main playmaker of the team to pull the strings and link the midfield with the attack.

Attack:
A fearsome duo on the flanks who can burn the opposition with pace and trickery will attack the space between the full backs and CB's with their electric speed and dribbling, whilst Kocsis will engage the central defenders and alongside Ronaldo will be a very clinical and threatening duo both on the ground and especially in the air. On comes Garrincha whose distribution from the wing is well appreciated by both Cristiano and Kocsis on the box.

TEAM ELEGANCIA

Defensive Line: Moderate Line

Formation: balance 4-2-3-1

Style of playing:
Fast transition, direct , compactness in defending and could attack in every methods( crossing, through ball, long ball and long-shots)

Defensive

Two solid and rigid center-backs in Thuram and Moore, both were complete defenders. They will pair each other perfectly, Moore will be more of a sweeper type and Thuram will be more of a stopper type. On fullbacks department, my left-back was Andreas Brehme, who is considered to be one of the greatest fullbacks of all time. He was known for his crossing ability, positioning, tackling ability and ability to use both feet. Another one, Jusufi, a balance fullback from Yugoslavia, he's considered as one of the best fullbacks in 60s. He was known for his defensive positioning and ability but he was also had a great composure on the ball and had great crosses too. He will be restricted as a more defensive oriented than Brehme in this game.

More on Jusufi's accolades

Awards

He was named in Eric Batty's selection for World XI 3 times.

Midfielders

Souness and Netto are perfect pairing of double-pivot in 4-2-3-1. Both were excellent two-ways midfielders, who had experienced to play in 2 midfielders formation in 4-4-2. Both were fine passers, could defend really well and had great mentality and determination. My protagonist "Alfredo Di Stefano" was a complete footballer, who contributed in both phases( attacking and defending). Di Stefano was a great tactical player, had endless stamina and had incomparable vision of the game.

Two wingers

Ryan Giggs will play on the left-side, he was very-fast player with lightning pace and he could make some crosses to striker too. His lightning runs with the ball were so dangerous and could create great amount of problems to opponent's right-back. On the right side, I will play with Jairzinho, Jairzinho will play as more of a wing-forward, his directness and scoring abilities will gain a lot of advantages in this game. He's probably one of my scoring threats too.

Strikers

Marco Van Basten- a complete striker who hadn't had any significant weakness

My team's keys

-Very strong minded and mentality
-Almost everyone contributes on and off the ball and has immense amount of workrates
-very effective in counter attack and transition( with Jairzinho, Di Stefano and Giggs)
-Strong defensive line
-A goalkeeper who had ability to defend against high-balls from crossing
-Everyone isn't liability on the ball including goalkeeper.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Don't get me wrong, you still have a great side @General_Elegancia and I don't see any flaws in it but I feel you fecked up in the reinforcements. I am guessing you wanted to get Moore and then Best till Edgar spoiled the plans.

But getting Garrincha and a left winger or forward would have been so much better. Moore is great but there was no need to upgrade Rio IMO. And Enigma picking Garrincha was so obvious, should have blocked it to make life a little easier for everyone. To make things worse, you draw him of all people.

If you went the Garrincha route, I don't think Enigma stood a chance here even with the goatness on offer in his side, but Garrincha makes that front 3 close to perfect stylistically and only Koscis can be upgraded in an all time sense. Rio would have been better than Moore in the air as well in hindsight.

As it stands, this seems very close but Enigma seems just an inch further in my books. He really needs to upgrade Bremner and Silva though if he wins, that is the only thing that sells his team short compared to your midfield which is clearly notches higher despite Rijkaard on the Don.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
I am guessing you wanted to get Moore and then Best till Edgar spoiled the plans.
They played together at Fulham. Best wasn't actually as great in terms of blocks as I initially thought. As well as the obvious Utd ones, there's Moore at Fulham; Seeler at Cork Celtic; Gerd Muller, Teofilo Cubillas, Gordon Banks and Elias Figueroa at Fort Lauderdale Strikers.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
General's team looks very good for a Di Stefano side to me, including the allrounder/workhorse CM. ADS playing off MVB is just immense, as is central defense. Only guy I know almost nothing about is Jusufi. What was he like?

As for Enigma, I think Garrincha & Kocsis are a great supporting cast for Ronaldo (also in the sense that they're difference makers in their own right). Silva as the final third playmaker, Rijkaard and Bremner, all in a good spot here. Bergomi is an excellent fit as defensive RB beside Beckenbauer and behind Mané imo, allowing both key players to do their thing with freedom.

Only thing that bugs me: Garrincha RW and Ronaldo LW will make this more of a 442 hybrid, imo (as was often the case with post-United Ronaldo). Now, I don't know much about Bossis, but is he really the attacking LB this setup screams out for? A few words on him would be cool.
But getting Garrincha and a left winger or forward would have been so much better.
Not a fan of Giggs at LW? I must say I like him very much in this side with ADS and MVB. Or is it because Brehme already works that flank?

GodShaveTheQueen

They played together at Fulham. Best wasn't actually as great in terms of blocks as I initially thought. As well as the obvious Utd ones, there's Moore at Fulham; Seeler at Cork Celtic; Gerd Muller, Teofilo Cubillas, Gordon Banks and Elias Figueroa at Fort Lauderdale Strikers.
Ah didn't realize that.

Not a fan of Giggs at LW? I must say I like him very much in this side with ADS and MVB. Or is it because Brehme already works that flank?
Nah he is absolutely fine here. More about draft dynamics and not letting your potential opponent massively improve his side.

The essence of the team essentially remains same irrespective of Giggs/Jairzinho Or Czibor/Garrincha.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Nah he is absolutely fine here. More about draft dynamics and not letting your potential opponent massively improve his side.

The essence of the team essentially remains same irrespective of Giggs/Jairzinho Or Czibor/Garrincha.
Fair enough, I also tend to forget that part.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Could Jusufi play LB? The General's right side is crying out for Brehme to overlap Jairzinho.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Must be the most stupid block in the whole draft.

A single game, six years after retirement, and Seeler didn't even know it was official :lol:

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
just realized that a friend from football looks exactly like Jusufi :lol:

Pat_Mustard

Must be the most stupid block in the whole draft.

A single game, six years after retirement, and Seeler didn't even know it was official :lol:
Yep :lol:. Quite impressive though that he managed to steal the show in that match even though his team got hammered 6-2. Good article about it here for anyone that's unfamiliar with the story:

https://www.the42.ie/uwe-seeler-cor...y-hamburg-bundesliga-feature-3769838-Dec2017/

Two impressive teams here. Rijkaard at DM and Bergomi at RB can't really be improved upon in terms of giving Beckenbauer free reign to move forward when he wants. Bergomi is also a logical choice behind Garrincha. Not sure if the sweeper Shesternyov is ideal as Beckenbauer's CB partner though, and ideally I'd prefer a more expansive, ideally left-footed, LB to support Ronaldo. It's quite a minor quibble though, as Silva will no doubt wield plenty of creative influence from those left-sided zones.

For the General, I just don't know if Jusufi packs enough of a punch going forward to optimise his right wing. Other than that it looks a great set up for Di Stefano.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
General's team looks very good for a Di Stefano side to me, including the allrounder/workhorse CM. ADS playing off MVB is just immense, as is central defense. Only guy I know almost nothing about is Jusufi. What was he like?
He's a legendary fullback from Yugoslavia, probably one of the best right-backs in the world during the first half 1960s. Jusufi was a very balanced full-back, he was good at both offensive phase and defensive phase. Howewer, his best attributes were defensive positioning, reading the game and probably speed( he was fast as hell). Although his best attributes were in defending categories, when he attacked he could do really well too. He was an amazing dribbler, very skillful and had great crosses.

Jusufi had played 4 clubs Partizan, Frankfurt, Wiesbaden and Dornburn but he had the best time at Partiazan and Eintratch Frankfurt. He won 5 Yugoslav First League at Partizan and won Intertoto Cup in 1966-1967 at Frankfurt, his biggest achievement in club career was runner-up in European Cup after losing to Real Madrid in 1966. On International stages, he had played only 3 tournaments 1960 Summer Olympics, World Cup 1962 and Euro 1960. He performed superbly all of 3 tournaments, which brought Yugoslavia to runner-up of 1960 European Nations' Cup, gold medalist of 1960 Summer Olympics and fourth-places in World Cup 1962. His full matches were mainly from NT tournaments.

He was selected in Eric Batty's World XI 3 times ( 1962, 1963 and 1968). His name was among legendary players like Pele, Puskas, Di Stefano, Suarez, Kopa, Facchetti.....etc.

General_Elegancia

Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
Could Jusufi play LB? The General's right side is crying out for Brehme to overlap Jairzinho.
Yes, he could play at LB position too, he was equally good on both left and right side. Although, he was mainly at right-side and right foot. Jusufi often went forward a lot during the match( not as much today attacking fullbacks) and probably Mane Bajic covered him.

General_Elegancia

Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
Don't get me wrong, you still have a great side @General_Elegancia and I don't see any flaws in it but I feel you fecked up in the reinforcements. I am guessing you wanted to get Moore and then Best till Edgar spoiled the plans.

But getting Garrincha and a left winger or forward would have been so much better. Moore is great but there was no need to upgrade Rio IMO. And Enigma picking Garrincha was so obvious, should have blocked it to make life a little easier for everyone. To make things worse, you draw him of all people.

If you went the Garrincha route, I don't think Enigma stood a chance here even with the goatness on offer in his side, but Garrincha makes that front 3 close to perfect stylistically and only Koscis can be upgraded in an all time sense. Rio would have been better than Moore in the air as well in hindsight.

As it stands, this seems very close but Enigma seems just an inch further in my books. He really needs to upgrade Bremner and Silva though if he wins, that is the only thing that sells his team short compared to your midfield which is clearly notches higher despite Rijkaard on the Don.
I will answer my plan after this game end but yeah I think I make a bit of mistake.

Enigma_87

You know who

TBH that was my plan straight away (Garrincha) as it solves two of the issues that was commented in the previous game. I knew Bossis won't get picked so I had the way out for Nilton replacement but didn't expect Garrincha to last.

Bossis played as LB in Carre Magique for France (was used as a CB as well when they needed him there) and I rate him more as a LB compared to CB where the competition is very stiff. He has the physical frame and endurance to support the flank and surprisingly good technique for his frame.

In terms of Garrincha effect his delivery also boosts not only Kocsis but Cristiano game and indeed is a difference maker.

As for the midfield. I was really hoping to give Silva a good showing here in all time sense as he's fantastic little playmaker in the attacking third and deserves some spotlight considering the body of work he has put for Spain and City.

Bremner balances out and whilst not the shiny name is a good presence in midfield to counter the opposition sturdiness.

All in all General has put on a great side and the only issue I have is Jairzinho as I don't rate him much personally and as others mentioned the Carlos Alberto type of right back to bring in the synergy on that right flank.

Enigma_87

You know who
Yep :lol:. Quite impressive though that he managed to steal the show in that match even though his team got hammered 6-2. Good article about it here for anyone that's unfamiliar with the story:

https://www.the42.ie/uwe-seeler-cor...y-hamburg-bundesliga-feature-3769838-Dec2017/

Two impressive teams here. Rijkaard at DM and Bergomi at RB can't really be improved upon in terms of giving Beckenbauer free reign to move forward when he wants. Bergomi is also a logical choice behind Garrincha. Not sure if the sweeper Shesternyov is ideal as Beckenbauer's CB partner though, and ideally I'd prefer a more expansive, ideally left-footed, LB to support Ronaldo. It's quite a minor quibble though, as Silva will no doubt wield plenty of creative influence from those left-sided zones.

For the General, I just don't know if Jusufi packs enough of a punch going forward to optimise his right wing. Other than that it looks a great set up for Di Stefano.
Cheers mate. Yep, being able to move Silva on the left with Garrincha bossing the show on the other flank makes the team a lot more unpredictable. As for Shesternyov - he's not the typical sweeper as he doesn't possess those traits compared to a classic stopper. Very big frame and excellent in the air and fast on the deck.

From @harms excerpt:
If you were tasked with creating a perfect defender, Shesternyov's body would be a good start. He was almost unbeatable in the air and ran 100 meters under 11 seconds (he even won a few youth sprinting competitions); his parents wanted him to have a career in decathlon, but he chose football. His nickname was "Ivan the Terrible", despite the fact that he was actually a very accurate and clean defender. But strikers were terrified of him.
In a way he's very similar to Schwartzenbeck (even the same height), but obviously a lot better individually, agile and faster compared to him.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Cheers Enigma & General for the replies on the FBs. I intended to vote as much as possible in this draft, but I honestly can't decide here.

Edit: Just adding that Di Stefano vs Rijkaard would be an epic duel.

Last edited:

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
This is actually close than I thought it would be after Enigma nabbed Garrincha - that’s fell right into his lap given the comments around Nilton last game (which I didn’t agree with fwiw). He rounds off that attack beautifully and there’s a nice balance between creative trickery and offensive punch in that front three.

In midfield I think Silva looks good there so don’t see that as a big weakness, he’s the sort of supporting enabler that you want when the offensive firepower is that stark. I do agree Bremner is getting close to needing upgrading, and there’s something of a mid-mash of styles going on that I can’t quite get my head around.

For GE that Di Stefano / Van Basten axis looks as devastating as it did in the last game. Giggs is a good, solid upgrade and the right type of player that team needs stylistically, but possibly lacks the sort of upgrade impact that Garrincha has in Enigma’s team.

I’d have to agree with the comments on Ferdinand / Moore - it’s a good upgrade but probably didn’t give you the same bang for your buck as other alternatives would. Always easier with the benefit of hindsight, but I do think that team is crying out for another top-tier centre half which would have enabled Thuram to move to RB - hard to get any better than that in shutting down Ronaldo.

As it is I think Cristiano looks the clearest route to a goal here. In contrast Van Basten / Di Stefano are about as well countered as you could imagine with Beckenbauer / Rijkaard - quite an unfortunate draw that the strengths / weaknesses of each team matched up that way for GE.

Pat_Mustard

Cheers mate. Yep, being able to move Silva on the left with Garrincha bossing the show on the other flank makes the team a lot more unpredictable. As for Shesternyov - he's not the typical sweeper as he doesn't possess those traits compared to a classic stopper. Very big frame and excellent in the air and fast on the deck.

From @harms excerpt:

In a way he's very similar to Schwartzenbeck (even the same height), but obviously a lot better individually, agile and faster compared to him.
Aye, Shesternyov's physical assets seem to be top-notch, and are sorely needed against a beast like van Basten. He doesn't seem like a misfit beside Beckenbauer at all, it's just that in an ideal world I think someone who specialised in the aggressive 'stopper' type duties like a Vidic would be even better.

Anyhow, I dislike voting against a viable Di Stefano set up as he so rarely seems to make the impact he should in drafts, but I think you edge this one. Great overall quality, excellent set up for Kaiser, and a steadily improving one for Cristiano too.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Agree with all the comments made so far. The Garrincha switcheroo made the difference. Think Bremner is a touch underappreciated based on the performances I've seen of him for Leeds - particularly in the European Cup - and for Scotland. Shesternyev/Beckenbauer looks complementary to me and although he excelled as a sweeper he could all the stopper stuff to the top level, in much the same way that Bratseth, Schulz and Vierchowod did.

General_Elegancia

Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
Jusufi's rating in Bundesliga

1966/1967 2.24
1967/1968 1.97
1968/1969 2.38
1969/1970 2.93

That's good from defender and could be show his quality on the pitch for sure. On the other hand, his performances are usually rated more international tournaments like Euro, World Cup or European Cup. Since it's almost impossible to find his footages in Partizan or even Frankfurt( especially in Bundesliga).

Šjor Bepo

dont rate the version of ronaldo enigma uses so the voting is pretty easy.

he didnt answer so i assume same version as in R1

General_Elegancia

Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
This is actually close than I thought it would be after Enigma nabbed Garrincha - that’s fell right into his lap given the comments around Nilton last game (which I didn’t agree with fwiw). He rounds off that attack beautifully and there’s a nice balance between creative trickery and offensive punch in that front three.

In midfield I think Silva looks good there so don’t see that as a big weakness, he’s the sort of supporting enabler that you want when the offensive firepower is that stark. I do agree Bremner is getting close to needing upgrading, and there’s something of a mid-mash of styles going on that I can’t quite get my head around.

For GE that Di Stefano / Van Basten axis looks as devastating as it did in the last game. Giggs is a good, solid upgrade and the right type of player that team needs stylistically, but possibly lacks the sort of upgrade impact that Garrincha has in Enigma’s team.

I’d have to agree with the comments on Ferdinand / Moore - it’s a good upgrade but probably didn’t give you the same bang for your buck as other alternatives would. Always easier with the benefit of hindsight, but I do think that team is crying out for another top-tier centre half which would have enabled Thuram to move to RB - hard to get any better than that in shutting down Ronaldo.

As it is I think Cristiano looks the clearest route to a goal here. In contrast Van Basten / Di Stefano are about as well countered as you could imagine with Beckenbauer / Rijkaard - quite an unfortunate draw that the strengths / weaknesses of each team matched up that way for GE.
Great analysis from Theon, great stuff

Enigma_87

You know who
dont rate the version of ronaldo enigma uses so the voting is pretty easy.

he didnt answer so i assume same version as in R1
Missed it yesterday but yeah, same version.

Any particular reason why you don’t rate him or in the setup ?

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Enigma's team has certainly been improved though not to the extent I would have liked.
It should still edge General_Elegancia's team due to his midfield superiority.

Šjor Bepo

Missed it yesterday but yeah, same version.

Any particular reason why you don’t rate him or in the setup ?

nah the system is fine, i just dont rate that version.....in fact i always considered that version one of the most overrated players in history so for me its baffling that someone would use that version when you can take one before or one after that are clearly superior.

Enigma_87

You know who
Good game @General_Elegancia ! Garrincha seems to have the win the tie here, interested in what upgrades were you looking for to complete the team.

nah the system is fine, i just dont rate that version.....in fact i always considered that version one of the most overrated players in history so for me its baffling that someone would use that version when you can take one before or one after that are clearly superior.
I often pick that version as it kinda meshes with the United version and the peak Real one in terms of excitement. The latter version imo took a bit of a flash whilst of course being more effective.
I understand where you are coming from though.

General_Elegancia

Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
Sorry for being reply late due to a load of works during 1-2 days

@Enigma_87 Such a great game
Your side is undoubtedly great side for sure especially atomic front-line in Ronaldo, Garrincha and Kocsis. Good luck in sf, mate
I saw you probably upgraded in midfield department, which I think you've done it correctly.

It's a pleasure to use Don Alfredo in draft-game and it's an challenge to get the best from him and can cooperate with other players to get a great team that function in unit.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
It's a pleasure to use Don Alfredo in draft-game and it's an challenge to get the best from him and can cooperate with other players to get a great team that function in unit.
You did a great job there, imo. I can see that working well, including the not too dominant CM with Moore behind, AdS & MvB partnership, plus Giggs doing his best Gento impression.

General_Elegancia

Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
I will answer my plan after this game end but yeah I think I make a bit of mistake.
At first sight, I want to get Garrincha too, he was my first target to upgrade the right-wing department instead of Jairzinho( whom I rate him pretty high but not in tier1 like Garrincha, Best , Matthews, Figo or Dzajic). But then I saw Gio dropped Redondo and picked Puskas, I though yeah "the hell will come" and he will use 4-4-2 with Puskas pair with Eusebio for sure. At that time, it's impossible to know who were your opponent but yeah I saw Eusebio and Puskas in Gio's team. So, I changed my plan improvisationally from Garrincha to Bobby Moore. I thought that " I want a center back who's the master of reading the game in zonal scheme, has the ability to anticipate opposition movement and he must be left-side center-back" and Bobby can answer me really well. I rate Rio very high, probably top3 defenders in 2000s decades and one of the best if not the best cb in EPL history but Moore had something special like his real performances against Eusebio( he did it superbly). The second pick in my dream after Garrincha was picked by Enigma was Ryan Giggs and I picked him after Moore. Since I'm sure 100 percent that Best would be picked by someone( and he was picked by Edgar). Giggs is a solid upgrade on Son and yeah he fits statistically better in my tactics( more of a pure winger than Korean beast).

At this point, I think I got nervous too rapidly after Gio picked Puskas. If I could flash back, I would have picked Garrincha first and I think I would have still picked Giggs as a second pick. I'm guarantee that they were a lot of chances percentages to get Garrincha and Giggs as first pick and second pick in my team but yeah it's my mistake and I wouldn't complain about my decisions. In real life, it couldn't go to correct it, this draft is probably a great lesson to me. I enjoy this draft a lot.

Last edited:

Red the Bear

Something less generic
At first sight, I want to get Garrincha too, he was my first target to upgrade the right-wing department instead of Jairzinho( whom I rate him pretty high but not in tier1 like Garrincha, Best , Matthews, Figo or Dzajic). But then I saw Gio dropped Redondo and picked Puskas, I though yeah "the hell will come" and he will use 4-4-2 with Puskas pair with Eusebio for sure. At that time, it's impossible to know who were your opponent but yeah I saw Eusebio and Puskas in Gio's team. So, I changed my plan improvisationally from Garrincha to Bobby Moore. I thought that " I want a center back who's the master of reading the game in zonal scheme, has the ability to anticipate opposition movement and he must be left-side center-back" and Bobby can answer me really well. I rate Rio very high, probably top3 defenders in 2000s decades and one of the best if not the best cb in EPL history but Moore had something special like his real performances against Eusebio( he did it superbly). The second pick in my dream after Garrincha was picked by Enigma was Ryan Giggs and I picked him after Moore. Since I'm sure 100 percent that Best would be picked by someone( and he was picked by Edgar). Giggs is a solid upgrade on Son and yeah he fits statistically better in my tactics( more of a pure winger than Korean beast).

At this point, I think I got nervous too rapidly after Gio picked Puskas. If I could flash back, I would have picked Garrincha first and I think I would have still picked Giggs as a second pick. I'm guarantee that they were a lot of chances percentages to get Garrincha and Giggs as first pick and second pick in my team but yeah it's my mistake and I wouldn't complain about my decisions. In real life, it couldn't go to correct it, this draft is probably a great lesson to me. I enjoy this draft a lot.
Yeah you probably should have stuck with Rio, Moore is obviously superior but the difference between the two is probably negligible at this level.

GodShaveTheQueen

Still a valiant effort mate.

Would have been unfair if you won a draft in your first attempt with Di Stefano considering most of us have failed after multiple attempts :lol: