Pre-Season 2021

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
It's been well documented that we had no pre-season last time around, even though some teams got maybe two weeks, given our Europa League commitments. And this season has been crazy in terms of the schedule where Ole has repeatedly said here and there that we're not really training as normal, just recovery and specific match preparations. Of course there's been some normal training, but not when there are matches coming thick and fast and we need to keep the players in good enough condition to manage those games.

It was a bone of contention under Jose, taking the squad out to Australia to make a few bob. Has there been any confirmation (or rumours) about what our plans are this summer? I mean, we've got most of our players playing in the Euros (is Cavani still playing for Uruguay?) so that already has a bearing on next season.

Surely the most sensible thing to do is not travel far for a pre-season. If there is ever a time not to go globetrotting, it's right now, after a crazy season during lockdowns, following no pre-season at all, heading into an International summer tournament prior to the start of next season.

Please be sensible.

flappyjay

It's been well documented that we had no pre-season last time around, even though some teams got maybe two weeks, given our Europa League commitments. And this season has been crazy in terms of the schedule where Ole has repeatedly said here and there that we're not really training as normal, just recovery and specific match preparations. Of course there's been some normal training, but not when there are matches coming thick and fast and we need to keep the players in good enough condition to manage those games.

It was a bone of contention under Jose, taking the squad out to Australia to make a few bob. Has there been any confirmation (or rumours) about what our plans are this summer? I mean, we've got most of our players playing in the Euros (is Cavani still playing for Uruguay?) so that already has a bearing on next season.

Surely the most sensible thing to do is not travel far for a pre-season. If there is ever a time not to go globetrotting, it's right now, after a crazy season during lockdowns, following no pre-season at all, heading into an International summer tournament prior to the start of next season.

Please be sensible.
It would be much easier to host a tournament at Old Trafford invite some mid level teams from England and outside.

rotherham_red

Please be sensible.
Apparently it's Europe-focused, with Malta being the country of choice but there's nothing been confirmed. Probably will be half and half, with some of it being in Europe, and some being within the UK.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...-news/man-united-news-malta-training-20466242

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Surely it's not happening, or would have alerady been announced? A major tour or something would aleady need to have been setup.

I figure because of Covid we'll just have a few games close to home.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
There's not going to be a tour like we've had in the past. Stuff like that takes months to organize. Training camp in Malta sounds about right. Maybe take part in a small invitational tournament and some friendlies in Europe where it's safe to travel but it's all going to be decidedly low key.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Relieved to see all of you certain there'll be no ridiculous long haul flights to remote destinations just to make sure we are properly drained before the start of the new season. Good!

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
There's not going to be a tour like we've had in the past. Stuff like that takes months to organize. Training camp in Malta sounds about right. Maybe take part in a small invitational tournament and some friendlies in Europe where it's safe to travel but it's all going to be decidedly low key.
Sure I read somewhere a couple of weeks back that a couple of games against Liverpool were mentioned.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Sure I read somewhere a couple of weeks back that a couple of games against Liverpool were mentioned.
And have Henderson looking to break ankles and Milner ploughing through people, just to help us prepare for the new season. No thanks.

Teja

And have Henderson looking to break ankles and Milner ploughing through people, just to help us prepare for the new season. No thanks.
It wasn't anywhere near that bad in the US tournaments when United v Liverpool happened. I think it'll be good to play teams that pressure us in friendlies, helps get the mental sharpness in.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
It wasn't anywhere near that bad in the US tournaments when United v Liverpool happened. I think it'll be good to play teams that pressure us in friendlies, helps get the mental sharpness in.
Weren't Liverpool shite back then? Or am I remember incorrectly.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Yup they were pretty shit :lol: but we were going through the LVG days as well.
Yeah, I don't doubt we were the underdogs. I just think now there's more to play for, and I don't trust them. I wouldn't like to play any of our league rivals in pre-season, if we can avoid it.

JuriM

Considering it's the year of Euro2020, Copa America 2021, Gold Cup 2021, Tokyo Olympics 2020, where a lot players over the world are involved, it would be very hectic preseason for most.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I guess they would only play teams on the green list. Moreover UEFA will have some guidance on this as in secure covid bubbles before they travel.

Uniquim

Yeah, they planned one pre-season game v Liverpool at Old Trafford and one at Anfield to take place with crowds, but they dropped the idea after the fan protests for the Premier League fixture.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Yeah, they planned one pre-season game v Liverpool at Old Trafford and one at Anfield to take place with crowds, but they dropped the idea after the fan protests for the Premier League fixture.
Thanks for that. Was beginning to think I had imagined it. :)

Pavl3n

Please be sensible.
I'm sure this time around, compared to last pre-season, we'll have far more players on time for the start of it and most of them would be somewhat rested.
Euros final is on the 11th of July and first game of the season is 14th of August.
So we'll have:
  • Henderson, Shaw, Maguire, Rashford
  • Pogba
  • Bruno Fernandes
  • Donny van de Beek
  • Scott McTominay
  • David de Gea
  • Victor Lindelof
  • Daniel James, Dylan Levitt
Luckily the bigger chunk of the players involved in the Euros play for England, so I'm positive they'll go into vacation way before the final.
Only worried about Bruno and Pogba, but this should give minutes to Donny, Hannibal, Garner.
Interesting is who'll be away for the Olympics. Football tournament lasts until 7th of August. But I doubt we'll have too many participants. I'm guessing Amad will definitely be involved.
Maybe Martial will be part of it. It's interesting to see. I hope Mason heals fast and he'll spend good time preparing for next season.
I suspect we'll have camp in Malta. One or two games behind closed doors. Then play a couple of games somewhere in the Scandinavian countries. Their teams are in the middle of their season at that time so playing against fitness ready teams is probably a must have on the pre-season checklist. And then another one or two games at home, which will be the games most of our starting XI players will take part.
I hope for a strong start. Last season we had 3 bad patches of form. While the last one wasn't really meaningful, nor that long (3 games, 1 week, 1 point won), the first two are the ones that really mattered. The horrible start of the season lasted 6 weeks, 6 games, 7 points won. Then mid-season (27th Jan - 3rd Mar), 5 weeks, 8 games, 11 points.
If we manage to not repeat the start from last season (the bad form was due to lack of pre-season and I wouldn't really blame the players or the coaches) and assume that we won't have 4 important games in 8 days again and manage to strengthen the squad so we avoid repeat of the results vs Sheffield(H), West Brom (A), Everton(H), then we could easily see ourselves being in the title mix towards the end of the season.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
FIXTURES

Derby County v Manchester United
Pride Park
Sunday 18 July KO: 13:00

QPR v Manchester United
Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium
Saturday 24 July KO: 15:00

Manchester United v Brentford
Old Trafford
Wednesday 28 July KO: 20:00

Manchester United v Everton
Old Trafford
Saturday 7 August KO: 17:00

FIXTURES

Derby County v Manchester United
Pride Park
Sunday 18 July KO: 13:00

QPR v Manchester United
Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium
Saturday 24 July KO: 15:00

Manchester United v Brentford
Old Trafford
Wednesday 28 July KO: 20:00

Manchester United v Everton
Old Trafford
Saturday 7 August KO: 17:00
seems like decent prep. Was never going to be against any overseas opposition.

the Rooney connection against Derby - nice! Finish with a stern test against Everton.

going to be a hell of a lot better than last season. Have a decent run of games at the start of the season, so need to hit the ground running.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
seems like decent prep. Was never going to be against any overseas opposition.

the Rooney connection against Derby - nice! Finish with a stern test against Everton.

going to be a hell of a lot better than last season. Have a decent run of games at the start of the season, so need to hit the ground running.
Yeah, think it'll be an efficient pre-season for a change. Also pleased to not be playing Liverpool, or another rival, in pre-season. Not a fan of that.

Would be surprised if there weren't a couple of more games added to that list.