Pre-season friendlies 21/22

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I'd say the coaching staff are fecking delighted that its a local pre-season compared to normal years.

Must be such a fecking nuisance having to travel all over the gaff and do all the media on top of it while trying to prepare for a long and gruelling elite level season.
As long as it is well organized, like in the US or Australia, they usually want the bonding experience of the group being together in one place. Rio's travel diaries were good fun with all the lads having dinner together most nights. Its when the tour is bent for sponsor revenue over several stops like in China or Japan with games being cancelled or asked to play on synthetic pitches that it gets a bit daft.

lysglimt

Scout
Well we'll be without anyone who went to the Euros for at least another two weeks (three weeks in the England players case) I think, so that's Rashford, Sancho, Shaw, Maguire, Pogba, Bruno, De Gea, McTominay, Lindelof & Dan James.
I assume Maguire, Shaw and Sancho will only be available for the Everton-game. The other non-english players maybe Brentford and Preston. Pogba was the last to play of these and that was july 28th - so he should be available for Preston at least.

But realistically - I dont think Sancho or Shaw will start the Leeds-game (Maguire is a different type of player so he will start). Could very well be - DDG - Telles, Maguire, Varane/Lindelof, AWB - McTominay, Fred - Pogba, Bruno, Greenwood - Cavani starting against Leeds.

UTD_Since_1978

I checked out the squads for the mens olympic teams, Spain had a few that played in the Euros, France, Brazil & Germany seemed to have ok squads & from a UTD POV the only two UTD players playing at the olympics are Bailly & Amad for the Ivory Coast, so they won't be available for our pre-season games.

Gerald G

Yeah - this will likely be mostly youth/fringe players due to Euros and Olympics.

So I guess it'd be something like: Henderson; AWB--Tuanzebe--Mengi--Telles; Matic--Garner; Elanga--Mata--Pellistri--Greenwood to start the game.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Lingard start instead of Pellistri but he only returned to training today

BootsyCollins

Yeah - this will likely be mostly youth/fringe players due to Euros and Olympics.

So I guess it'd be something like: Henderson; AWB--Tuanzebe--Mengi--Telles; Matic--Garner; Elanga--Mata--Pellistri--Greenwood to start the game.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Lingard start instead of Pellistri but he only returned to training today
I think the same only Heaton in for Henderson

JB7

Pretty sure it is, there are announcements like this. Maybe more a case for travelling though.

Yeah so first, those are tour squads. We aren't going on tour this year. Second, they were only the original travelling parties anyway as players joined up with the team as they returned for pre-season training. We'll just have matchday squads like normal but obviously they will be bigger than normal because we'll be making 11 substitutes I'd imagine in the early games.

UTD_Since_1978

I suspect most of our big stars won't be featuring until maybe the Everton game only, not ideal preparation for the start of the season but it is what it is I suppose.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I subscribed one year just to watch the matches. I think it was because we had just appointed Mou, so i was interested to see the team playing.

Probably wont subscribe though this year. Maybe the Everton game i might.

UTD_Since_1978

It’s better than last season.
Maybe, but I do worry that when you look at the fixtures for first 6 or so PL games, we seem to have an easier time of it compared to our rivals, so for our stars to not put in decent performances in those games & us not winning those games due to lack of match fitness or whatever would be a huge disappointment.

We need to put the pressure on our rivals early on, now if we (can't recall the fixtures so just using examples only) lose against Southampton whilst City are beating Chelsea that is a missed opportunity for us.

Yeah, yeah, I know it is a long season & all that but even so...

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
"The pre season squad"? That's not a thing. :lol:
Yeah so first, those are tour squads. We aren't going on tour this year. Second, they were only the original travelling parties anyway as players joined up with the team as they returned for pre-season training. We'll just have matchday squads like normal but obviously they will be bigger than normal because we'll be making 11 substitutes I'd imagine in the early games.
CONFIRMED: UNITED'S SQUAD FOR TRAINING CAMP: https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/man-utd-training-camp-squad-for-surrey-base-2021

FULL SQUAD

Goalkeepers:
Nathan Bishop, Lee Grant, Tom Heaton, Matej Kovar.

Defenders: Di'Shon Bernard, Will Fish, Teden Mengi, Alex Telles, Axel Tuanzebe, Aaaron Wan-Bissaka, Brandon Williams.

Midfielders: Andreas Pereira, Ethan Galbraith, James Garner, Hannibal, Daniel James, Dylan Levitt, Jesse Lingard, Juan Mata, Nemanja Matic, Scott McTominay, Facundo Pellistri.

Forwards: Tahith Chong, Anthony Elanga, Mason Greenwood, Joe Hugill, Shola Shoretire.

JB7

CONFIRMED: UNITED'S SQUAD FOR TRAINING CAMP: https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/man-utd-training-camp-squad-for-surrey-base-2021

FULL SQUAD

Goalkeepers:
Nathan Bishop, Lee Grant, Tom Heaton, Matej Kovar.

Defenders: Di'Shon Bernard, Will Fish, Teden Mengi, Alex Telles, Axel Tuanzebe, Aaaron Wan-Bissaka, Brandon Williams.

Midfielders: Andreas Pereira, Ethan Galbraith, James Garner, Hannibal, Daniel James, Dylan Levitt, Jesse Lingard, Juan Mata, Nemanja Matic, Scott McTominay, Facundo Pellistri.

Forwards: Tahith Chong, Anthony Elanga, Mason Greenwood, Joe Hugill, Shola Shoretire.

Yeah I saw that, surprising really to take them away from training at Carrington for the week. Seems a strange & largely unnecessary thing to do but I’m sure there is logic behind it.

flappyjay

I think we should host our own annual pre season tournament at Old Trafford. Invite the likes of Salford, Oldham, Bolton etc teams from the area. When things get better with covid we could still have this tournament after the marketing tour we usually have.

The Cluck

I think we should host our own annual pre season tournament at Old Trafford. Invite the likes of Salford, Oldham, Bolton etc teams from the area. When things get better with covid we could still have this tournament after the marketing tour we usually have.
You've just reminded me of the Umbro Tournament, which United took part in in 1996:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umbro_International_Tournament

Those were the days. I think that tournament was the debut of the new home kit for 96-98.

RedDevilRoshi

Leeds lost 3-1 to Ajax today. Not sure how they have done in their other pre-season games?

Nickosaur

Leeds lost 3-1 to Ajax today. Not sure how they have done in their other pre-season games?
They've been fairly crap from what I've heard. Still, it's all about fitness. They will be more ready for the opening game.

Pavl3n

How much time for preparation did we have last year? It was 4 weeks between the behind closed doors game with Aston Villa and the last game of the previous season. And a week later we played Palace.
I just can't remember how long before the Villa game did everyone turn up. I remember the entire squad turned up at roughly the same time.
This time however we had a few of the men's squad turning 3/4 weeks before the first game of the season and having good preparation.

It's still not perfect, but it's way better than what it was last season. What's even better is that we've learned our lesson last time around.I am more confident about the start compared to last season.
I guess players will have to wait until the summer of 2023 until they can enjoy a good vacation.

Adcuth

There aren't any covid related rules for attending the games now are there? Going on Saturday

UTD_Since_1978

Our last pre-season game of the summer & our probable strongest starting XI for the new season have not kicked a ball in pre-season apart from on the training ground, total waste of pre-season yet again!

Mickson

Our last pre-season game of the summer & our probable strongest starting XI for the new season have not kicked a ball in pre-season apart from on the training ground, total waste of pre-season yet again!
Could've played a friendly yesterday maybe. Very few games.