Pre Season Friendlies - United v Everton - 12:00 Sunday on MUTV

MUW4Eva

Well the season is now over for us, so we look ahead to the next one.

I haven't seen any mention of any pre-season friendlies for the women's team as of yet, but if anyone does, would they very kindly post then here, or in the thread, as it would be good to keep up to date with who we are playing and when.

MUW4Eva

Yes there are the Euro's to think of, but surely we should know about when we will be starting our pre-season, and as such, who we will be playing in those games soon shouldn't we??

It is just coming across as very lackadaisical by the club, add this to the contracts and other issues that are still to be resolved, then it doesn't look too good.

Or am I just reading too much into this, or over thinking things??

Either way, I hope that we can find out what our pre-season plans are sooner rather than later.....

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
It will almost certainly be 3/4 hastily arranged games.

I never did understand separating out the Womens and Mens tours though, there are plenty of Womens teams throughout the world, it might have made sense too tag along and grow the visibility of the Womens team.

MUW4Eva

It will almost certainly be 3/4 hastily arranged games.

I never did understand separating out the Womens and Mens tours though, there are plenty of Womens teams throughout the world, it might have made sense too tag along and grow the visibility of the Womens team.
Well unlike with the men, the women could if we did arrange things, tour in America, and play games over there.

But yeah, things just seem in general sooo haphazard, and rushed, and not thought out or through at all, which is such a shame.

The women who play for us, deserve sooo much more, and a far better set up, then we are currently providing them.

ImmortalJoker66

Supports
Trinidad and Tobago
Still curious to know why Rovers pulled out from the friendly a couple of days ago, but any win over Liverpool is good news.......especially after that disaster

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
No MUTV broadcast of our preseason friendly against Liverpool, but we do know the result!
MUTV have only got so much resource…so hardly expect them to cover a pre-season game BCD when they are covering the mens team at the same time.

They didn’t cover United’s game v Halifax either.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
We're playing PSG in the first of two games of the Amos Cup in France on Tuesday 9pm UK time, and then either Barca or Bayern on Friday. CBS are broadcasting the games, but not sure if they're available to watch in the UK. This is a team that's been trying to break into the Champions League spots for a couple of years now so it'll be good to see how we actually fare against Champions League standard opposition. I don't expect us to win either game honestly, but it'll be a good test for us either way.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
We're playing PSG in the first of two games of the Amos Cup in France on Tuesday 9pm UK time, and then either Barca or Bayern on Friday. CBS are broadcasting the games, but not sure if they're available to watch in the UK. This is a team that's been trying to break into the Champions League spots for a couple of years now so it'll be good to see how we actually fare against Champions League standard opposition. I don't expect us to win either game honestly, but it'll be a good test for us either way.
It's an interesting decision to go and take part in this - it's hard to imagine a tougher preseason tour.

In terms of preparedness. We've now got everyone except back in training except for the England players and our French signing, Tounkara - but some have only been back for a few days. Barcelona have had everyone (including their Spain NT players) back for a couple of weeks.

United didn't release the team sheet for the Liverpool game, so it's guesswork who is ready to play. It looks like Millie Turner (as expected) is still out.

Not sure whether we'll get the match on MUTV, it's not there at the moment but sometimes their schedule updates really late, so that's a wait and see. PSG sometimes stream matches on their website - hopefully someone will find something.

RedDevilQuebecois

Nice to hear very audible chants from the United supporters in the crowd.

edit: Good save by Baggaley.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
0-0 at ht, and we do deserve to still be in the match.

Both teams are missing players, particularly forwards and it's got that kind of slow, bitty feel of a lot of preseason games. Even so, it's nice to see us showing this kind of confidence against a big team.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
I was impressed by Leon and Le Tissier in that first half. Ona and Baggaley did well too.

RedMilo

Do we assume by Battle and Groenen involvement that they're staying?

Surprised to see Thorrisdottir still in the team thought she was the weak link last year.

Are we expecting anymore investment in the squad or are glazernomics at play for the women's team

RedDevilQuebecois

Do we assume by Battle and Groenen involvement that they're staying?

Surprised to see Thorrisdottir still in the team thought she was the weak link last year.

Are we expecting anymore investment in the squad or are glazernomics at play for the women's team
We still have a bunch of England internationals and other new signings still on vacation or early training for now. That team really stacked up over the summer even though we had a good share of outs during the summer.

RedDevilQuebecois

Oh, come on! Lucia Garcia hit the side netting on a quick United counterattack.

Still 10 minutes to go.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
The feck why are we playing psg friendly mid week?!

Lightbringer

MUTV is broadcasting history makers in the middle of the PSG game :devil: :D

Last edited:

RedDevilQuebecois

So our next match will be the final against Bayern Munich on Friday at 8:00 PM BST. Bayern defeated Barcelona 2-1 earlier today; that's no joke of a team.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Finishes 1-0 in the end, meaning we'll face Bayern on Friday. A typical slow-paced friendly game but really encouraging to see that performance wise we matched up quite well with PSG, even if neither side was at full strength. And of course getting a win is a big confidence boost. In the second half Clinton looked great when she came on.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Nice win for us. Very much a preseason sort of match - scrappy and slow at times, but with some nice flashes of quality as well. Nice debuts from Le Tissier and Leon, and Garcia and Clinton did well as subs.

Skinner will be pleased with the team. The team looked happy to be there and they worked for the win.

Bayern on Friday in the final - a cup would be nice! Ok, so it's only a preseason friendly tournament, but it is one that was chosen to be a challenge as well as a chance to get fit.

Grande

What a good performance. Some looked off the beat, fair enough, like Thorisdottir and Bøe Risa who both were inconsistent on the ball (probably still picking up after the shock summer with Norway). But The team looked organized and sharp, agressive press, good movement and structure. Katie Zelem and Jackie Groenen interchanged well and used the ball well. Galton and Adriana Leon showed good initiative. Hanna Blundell and Ona Battle looked solid, and contributed in attack as well, and Maya Le Tissier had a very good debut, quick feet and decisive. Beautifully taken team goal.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Another day, another (friendly) match against one of Europe's big teams. I'm not sure if United will have any of the England players back - as subs. Same with Bayern who might have more of their internationals back I guess.

Still, after the show of resilience and the flashes of quality from the PSG match it'll be interesting to see them in action. The team played well in that one, and the new players looked good.

Tonight's match is on MUTV in the UK - they don't own the rights to show it in other countries. It clashes with the United U21 match that was originally scheduled to be broadcast live on MUTV tonight - so I'm expecting complaints :smirk:

RedMilo

Another day, another (friendly) match against one of Europe's big teams. I'm not sure if United will have any of the England players back - as subs. Same with Bayern who might have more of their internationals back I guess.

Still, after the show of resilience and the flashes of quality from the PSG match it'll be interesting to see them in action. The team played well in that one, and the new players looked good.

Tonight's match is on MUTV in the UK - they don't own the rights to show it in other countries. It clashes with the United U21 match that was originally scheduled to be broadcast live on MUTV tonight - so I'm expecting complaints :smirk:
I'm looking forward to it - would much rather watch the womens team than the U21, the standard of football has much improved in the women's game. Good choice MUTV.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
30 minutes and not much on target from either side. Bayern look good in midfield and they can certainly pass the ball around, though they haven't been able to turn it into chances.

Some desperate clearances by us though and we're having trouble keeping the ball. Mysteriously the best crosses of the half have come from Jade Moore hitting them in from the right - Ona Batlle and Nikita Parris are on the right at well - maybe a tactical decision to overload that flank which is giving Moore space?

Still 0-0

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
2-0 Bayern. Baggaley beaten at the near post from a header at a tight angle. Think she should be saving that one as well.

Galton has a tap in to make it 2-1 but somehow hits it wide.

Lightbringer

2-0 Bayern. Baggaley beaten at the near post from a header at a tight angle. Think she should be saving that one as well.
I have never understood why Baggaley was recruited unless we needed a dwarf in net with mediocre overall keeping skills. I dont mean harm with this, I just never understand why bringing in extremely short goalkeepers is ever needed. She could be a good 3rd keeper, thats about it. She is clearly not good enough for United and never was in the first place. You realize quickly how vital it is to have a good or top goalkeeper.

Just like I never understood Howard, Barthes, Carroll and the other dwarfs United brought before Edwin came in and steadied the ship!

Size is hugely important for a goalkeeper.