Pre-season friendly Wigan - Manchester United

mu4c_20le

I still dont trust Blackett but maybe thats just me. Really happy to see Pereira shine today though.

Irrational.

I would however like proof before you class someone as a racist.
Of course I wasn't classing him as racist :lol:

I meant some of his commentary can be a bit embarrassing at times, like a slightly controversial family member.

To answer your question, no I'm not old enough to have seen him play live - I'm sure he was a great servant for United - but what that has to do with him being an awful commentator I have no idea.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Misplacing several easy passes, he is ok at the defensive part of the game, but on that part nobody was tested today, but on the ball, he is one of the worlds most frustrating players to watch. He didn't do much wrong today but it is on the little things, struggling to control a ball, overhitting a pass, that sort of stuff, which you just know if we play agaianst an actual good team that puts pressure on our defence, that is the sort of thing that will lead to giving stupid chances away, let alone that he could actually be usefull in the build up game.

I don't rate Jones at all, quite likley he is one of the worst players we have when on the ball, feels like he hasn't progressed at all in the 6 years here at United, he is rash and uncontrolled when he is put under pressure and he has got serious problems with staying fit. United would do very well to sell him this summer.
Smalling is actually worst than Jones on the ball but he's lucky with injuries and can defend well. Jones can do the latter(defend well) but can't stay fit which is why Smalling has built himself as a solid defender for us this past year.

But yeah, they're both bad on the ball(though Smalling is quite worse).

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
I'm watching the match now. Did I hear the commentator just call one of the Wigan players Max Power?

UnitedBoy

Redcafe Yahoo Pool champion 2007
Just your average pre season game. But I was just thinking of the players not featuring..

Ibrah
Rashford
Rooney
Martial
Schwein
Schneid
Smalling
Gea

Anyone of them could be contenders for our POY awards.

Things can only get better.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Probably the only place he could play as it was time for Herrera and Blind to come off. Was there anyone left on the bench?
According to the team sheet, Willock, who could have played there, and Warren.

pixel

Just your average pre season game. But I was just thinking of the players not featuring..

Ibrah
Rashford
Rooney
Martial
Schwein
Schneid

Smalling
Gea

Anyone of them could be contenders for our POY awards.

Things can only get better.
Agree about the rest.

Nik70

Can't believe this guy is our manager - we are truly lucky. He's absolutely made for Manchester United. What a combination
I agree. He is saying all the right things. Still a lot to do but I think things are going to go well for us with him in charge.

Sb_16

Kicking off with a win

"I am very happy. The result is obviously not the most important thing, but it is always important. I’m happy because there were things we tried in training around some principles of our play defensively and offensively and I could see them. They were not in a perfect way of course because the conditions are not the best with only 10 days of training, accumulation of fatigue and no sharpness, so it takes times. But I could see things that showed they were starting to think in the way I think about football. That pleased me. Everybody played the match and everyone had a positive performance.

Fantastic fans

"Best of all was something that I never had before which was a friendly match which I could call a training session against opposition and yet there were so many supporters who gave permanent support to the team. There was the manifestation of happiness [from them] about a few things they could see in the team which was absolutely fantastic. As I said in my press conference I will try to give them everything and I’m sure they will continue to give amazing support to the team.

Thumbs up for new boys

"[Henrikh] Mkhitaryan is a top-class player and currently at the best stage for a footballer – 27/28 years old. He is magnificent the way he thinks about football, he thinks very quickly and it’s so sweet how he touches the ball. He can play in different positions behind the striker. He doesn’t have the sharpness yet but he is performance was very positive. With Eric [Bailly] the way the fans showed how much they liked his performance when I changed him is enough. Of course he is a very young boy coming from a very different environment, but you could see what he is at this moment. I will give him everything to try to make him better and better like I did with other central defenders I’ve had in my hands. He has showed the potential we saw when we decided to buy him."

Youngsters showed promise

"You can play 90 minutes or one minute and sometimes one minute is enough. With Axel [Tuanzebe] – 10 minutes is enough! [Laughs] The potential is there, you could see it immediately. You know him better than me of course as you’ve known for a few years and I’ve known him for a couple of weeks, but if anyone sees him for the first time then 10 minutes is enough to see the potential. Andreas [Pereira] has lots of talent. He has incredible vision and an incredible technique. That’s just talking about two players but the reality is the kids, without pressure and in a calm environment and not in the fire but in a cool situation for them, were very good. And it was very good for me to see what they can do."

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
There was some debate about that team sheet, that some names were on it but weren't actually there. Looking at the subs, they weren't on the bench.
The only mistake in the team sheet I've noticed was Borthwick-Jackson instead of Blackett. Are you sure Willock and Warren weren't even on the bench? Perfectly normal to take them as backup.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Youngsters showed promise

"You can play 90 minutes or one minute and sometimes one minute is enough. With Axel [Tuanzebe] – 10 minutes is enough! [Laughs] The potential is there, you could see it immediately. You know him better than me of course as you’ve known for a few years and I’ve known him for a couple of weeks, but if anyone sees him for the first time then 10 minutes is enough to see the potential. Andreas [Pereira] has lots of talent. He has incredible vision and an incredible technique. That’s just talking about two players but the reality is the kids, without pressure and in a calm environment and not in the fire but in a cool situation for them, were very good. And it was very good for me to see what they can do."
Getting in the reasons for not playing them in competitive matches already.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Getting in the reasons for not playing them in competitive matches already.
One way of looking at it. Another is that he's stopping them from getting ahead of themselves. Playing well against Wigan in a friendly means very little in the grand scheme of things. He's making sure they have the motivation to do it when it matters.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
One way of looking at it. Another is that he's stopping them from getting ahead of themselves. Playing well against Wigan in a friendly means very little in the grand scheme of things. He's making sure they have the motivation to do it when it matters.
That is a great point. That is why I get annoyed with MUTV phone-ins sometimes. They ring in as though some of the kids are the next coming of Messi. No wonder it goes to some kids heads.