Pre-season friendly Wigan - Manchester United

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
One way of looking at it. Another is that he's stopping them from getting ahead of themselves. Playing well against Wigan in a friendly means very little in the grand scheme of things. He's making sure they have the motivation to do it when it matters.
:lol: It was more of a joke. It is nice to see him giving them praise, but then he did the same at Chelsea too.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
:lol: It was more of a joke. It is nice to see him giving them praise, but then he did the same at Chelsea too.
I figured you weren't entirely serious. I think I'm just overly defensive about the issue because I share the same concerns that Mourinho won't give them a fair chance once the season starts. It's possible i'm just trying to convince myself :)

Crustanoid

I am massively positive now about Mourinho as our manager. Finally we have someone who can live up to SAF. I actually reckon he'll sort our youth policy out so it comes on strong again. Happy days

Fully Fledged

Just finished watching it. I thought everybody had a good game we completely shut Wigan out of the match. Mkhi and Eric had impressive debuts and the kids played well. AP had a great second half and his goal was top draw.

As happy as I can be for the first match of preseason against Championship opposition.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Thought it was interesting that Jose could see already things they had done in training. Funny how maybe if you give players clear instructions they will carry them out.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
Pereira had a great pre season last year and was immediately punished for it by LVG once the season started. Hopefully this year will be different for him.

ChaddyP

Thought it was interesting that Jose could see already things they had done in training. Funny how maybe if you give players clear instructions they will carry them out.
Van Gaal said the same thing. Every coach would have said that post match

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Well, talk about a case study in contrast. As was often said before, the manager shapes the way the club wants to play and it is obvious with Mourinho. His energy and his willingness to press for the win was obvious from the off with the way we approached the game and the way he behaved himself on the sidelines.

I saw all of the first half and none of the second. I liked Bailly and Mkhitaryan in the first half, especially the latters marauding runs. Bailly also looked good and I can see his potential for the future which is exciting. Shaw is also back and looking solid although I'd like to see him make those runs on the wing once the PL starts.

On what I've read from the second half, I am so happy Perreira got a goal and I hope he features this season. If he is truly the talent a lot of people say he is, he needs to be given the opportunity to prove himself. People say we have a lot of players, etc. but if we have a chance for the league in Feb/Mar and are still in the Europa, he can easily be an automatic starter in the EL and the first 11 can play the PL games.

Finally, a personal fave of mine, Herrera, also seems to be getting good reviews and hopefully he cements his place in the team.

Reactions: Invictus

sunama

Baghdad Bob
In fairness, last season under LVG, we could see our players following strict instructions (taking no risks, back/side passing, defending as a team, attempting to score only if necessary/likely, holding possession, etc).

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Finally, a personal fave of mine, Herrera, also seems to be getting good reviews and hopefully he cements his place in the team.
I'm not so sure about Herrera. He has been here for 2 seasons (that's a long time) and has not covered himself in glory.
It is very unlikely that a player plays poor for 2 seasons and then suddenly lights up the league.
A change of manager may help him, but I just don't see it. Hopefully I am proved wrong.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I'm not so sure about Herrera. He has been here for 2 seasons (that's a long time) and has not covered himself in glory.
It is very unlikely that a player plays poor for 2 seasons and then suddenly lights up the league.
A change of manager may help him, but I just don't see it. Hopefully I am proved wrong.
I've made posts about his 'suppression' under LvG in another thread but basically I feel when he's allowed to play, he can be a very useful player for us who more often than not starts. He had quite a few good games in his first season under LvG and also has the occasional goal in him.

Gasolin

The first year, he was far from poor. I loved the way he was able to move the ball forward and make himself available, or even score. Everyone remembers his assist to Mata for Liverpool or some of his goals.

I think under Mourinho, he will have a second chance. He will be interesting to use with Pogba on his side.

Dante

Average bang
I wouldn't read anything into positions. This was about giving people game time wherever they could slot in.

0161_UNITED

In fairness, last season under LVG, we could see our players following strict instructions (taking no risks, back/side passing, defending as a team, attempting to score only if necessary/likely, holding possession, etc).
Agreed. Although, at the beginning of both seasons under LVG there were also quite a few instances of him "tinkering" as well, IMO. And then there was the infamous MK Dons debacle.

Without trying to read too much into it, my takeaways were:

1) The players seemed much less shackled than under LVG, but most certainly organized like a traditional Mourinho team. It was a breath of fresh air, however, most certainly not a signpost to the free flowing attacking football some may be demanding.
2) If Mourinho tipped his hand as to who is in favour or on the outs, I'll admit I didn't pick up on it at all. I have no better idea who he's got in mind to ship out after that.
3) True to his form and previous statement, he pretty much played everyone in their correct positions (TFM possibly excepted). Really felt he set up a team, and his substitutions, to win a match - not prove how much smarter he is than everyone else. Again, a breath of fresh air.
4) I also felt the players responded in kind, and can't fault their performances - bar Memphis. I still thought he had the same problem as last season - he makes a mistake or misses a scoring opportunity and he unravels after that. His body language gives it away. Still hopeful for him, but his mentality might be the issue, and it might not be so easy to fix.

sugar_kane

Just got back from the game, was a good day out with a decent atmosphere in the away end - with the exception of the idiots who were kicking the shite out of each other 10 minutes in (both United fans it seemed).

Mkhitaryan looks to be exactly what we've needed. I felt a bit sorry for Mata in the second half as his deficiencies seemed more evident following on from him. Glad Mourinho played him his natural position however.

Blind was great, and I'm glad Jose kept him at centre back - he's very underrated there and is excellent at reading the game and far more creative than people give him credit for.

I was surprised to see Pereira play where he did but he looked like a natural, and did very well.

Januzaj didn't offer much today sadly, nor did Wilson. The former I still believe could come good with the right management from Mourinho, but Wilson I doubt very much will make it here. He looked very off the pace today.

Fairly positive overall, with a few surprises (Valencia and Blind still in defence, Pereira a number 6) and it was great to see a manager active on the touchline for the first time in years!

Oh, Ashley Young. Wouldn't be too upset to see him sold, as thin on the ground with wingers as we are. He just depresses me to watch.

Gasolin

Let me add one thing about Herrera first season: it was really interesting. LVG killed him by not using a 4/3/3 type of formation where Herrera had a role. One of his very interesting attributes is that the way he scores goals is not by smashing screamers but by being precise, he's very similar to Carrick in that regard. More energy than younger Carrick, less good for long range passes but good first control and ball control, so with Pogba on his side, it could be a very strong combination, especially if another player can cover for both of them. A player like that who has a very good first control and ball skills, and who can score, should never be dropped. I hope Mourinho sees some potential in him and use him.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
True to his form and previous statement, he pretty much played everyone in their correct positions (TFM possibly excepted). Really felt he set up a team, and his substitutions, to win a match - not prove how much smarter he is than everyone else. Again, a breath of fresh air.
Other than Young, who played a different position today than they did under van Gaal? And even Young played loads as a winger under van Gaal too.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Let me add one thing about Herrera first season: it was really interesting. LVG killed him by not using a 4/3/3 type of formation where Herrera had a role. One of his very interesting attributes is that the way he scores goals is not by smashing screamers but by being precise, he's very similar to Carrick in that regard. More energy than younger Carrick, less good for long range passes but good first control and ball control, so with Pogba on his side, it could be a very strong combination, especially if another player can cover for both of them. A player like that who has a very good first control and ball skills, and who can score, should never be dropped. I hope Mourinho sees some potential in him and use him.
Also he might actually get a pre-season this time. He suffered badly last summer when he hardly got any minutes. When that happens and you are then called upon in a game it is as bad as coming back from an injury and being rusty.
Also the ball was moving a lot quicker today, rather than in a leisurely fashion. There was more of an attacking method to it.

032Devil

Just your average pre season game. But I was just thinking of the players not featuring..

Ibrah
Rashford
Rooney
Martial
Schwein
Schneid
Smalling
Gea

Anyone of them could be contenders for our POY awards.

Things can only get better.
Has Darmian been sold?

togg

Can't believe this guy is our manager - we are truly lucky. He's absolutely made for Manchester United. What a combination
Yeah I agree...and have always wanted him here after Fergie went, although I'm glad there has been a gap before him actually coming because I don't think anyone would have been successful after Fergie left. Too many changes, to big a change. I think this is perfect timing and I'm excited about the future, although at the same time I'm not expecting miracles from the start!

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Holy shit this Independence Day MUTV thing :lol:
I love it!

So much better than that dire attempt at acting in the ad. for wine, with Giggsy, Rooney etc.

This one is fun.

clarkydaz

The first year, he was far from poor. I loved the way he was able to move the ball forward and make himself available, or even score. Everyone remembers his assist to Mata for Liverpool or some of his goals.

I think under Mourinho, he will have a second chance. He will be interesting to use with Pogba on his side.
everyone but LVG who hated it and changed his game

3KDré

Any highlights? I missed the game and want to see how Shaw got on.

ThanksBoss26

Was there today and enjoyed it. The two new lads definitely looked promising.

Early days in the preparation but a decent start to pre-season.

Acole9

Outstanding
Good to start off with a win but more importantly everyone played well, Especially Mkh, Bailly and Tuanzebe.

AndyMUFC

Comfortable workout. First half wasn't spectacular but was solid with Mkitaryan's performance being the highlight and the second half was better all around. Cracking strike from Pereira, his time is now if he 's ever gonna make it here.