Pre-season friendly Wigan - Manchester United

Borys

Statistics Wizard
In plus:
Mkhitarian - basically showing his skills, effective without fireworks (in a good way) .
Bailly - superb all-round play, strong, fast, very good passing, yet to be tested against good attackers.
Herrera - we've seen a little of first season Ander and it's promising.
Lingard - reliable and useful.
Pereira - definitely our best prospect.

In minus:
Depay - usual average display.
TFM - looks a little lost at RB, but I hope he gets more changes to find his feet.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Looking forward to seeing what we can do in the Europa next season. We should have a decent enough squad to battle on all fronts. Plenty of opportunities for the young'uns to get game time if we go far in the cup comps. As been said before it was great to see Jose on the touchline and interacting with the players. Mkhitaryan looked very lively and should really settle in well. Can't wait to see the starting XI that Jose finally assembles.

Really hope we get all our business done as early as possible.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Entertaining things about this game:
- Herrera getting muscled off the ball with ease by someone called Max Power
- Nick Powell coming on and kicking everything on the pitch except for the football
- Inability of MUTV commentators to talk about a single United player during the game, without having to refer to the part of last season where Van Gaal mysteriously stopped playing them for no apparent reason.

Encouraging things from this game:
- Luke Shaw is alive
- The Dortmund guy looked quite useful. He looked like we'd stolen him from Arsenal
- Bailly is quite big
- Phil Jones played 45 minutes without injuring any United players or himself.

Non encouraging things from this game:
- Wigan manager is younger than Michael Carrick
- Phil Jones haircut
- Too much open goal missing

Seven Seas Sardines

Stowell: The shirt numbers are not confirmed yet, so don't get a Pereira shirt with number 6 just yet.
Crerand: Ah, you think someone will buy his shirt?

Get the dinosaur off MUTV, please..

MarchingOn

Both of Miki's forward passes to Memphis were class. The second one should have been an assist if Memphis used his left foot.

Devil may care

I missed the last 20 minutes but I thought we looked sharp and wee moving the ball quickly and confidently in the first half with Micki, Ander and Bailly all looking good.

Jaybomb

Thought Mkhitaryan and Bailly looked excellent. Mata did well. Everyone looks way more comfortable with the ball at their feet. Under Van Gaal, it looked like they were afraid to make a mistake.

Yes, I know its only Wigan. So I'm not gonna get carried away here. But I was impressed by how freely we moved the ball around. I've missed that.

OldTrevil

Pereira had a great pre season last year and was immediately punished for it by LVG once the season started. Hopefully this year will be different for him.
This, he has always shown quality every time he plays. Lets hope for another great pre season and I'm sure Mourinho will give him a look in for the odd game this season.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Stowell: The shirt numbers are not confirmed yet, so don't get a Pereira shirt with number 6 just yet.
Crerand: Ah, you think someone will buy his shirt?

Get the dinosaur off MUTV, please..
That's not what he said. He sarcastically asked if he was thinking of getting an Andreas shirt. Also fairly sure it was Stewart Gardner he was commentating with.

Perrick Dubois

I was working so I didn't get to see this game. Going to sit down and watch the replay now, glad to see young Peirera scored!

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Let's suppose Mourinho picked the best available 11 to start against Wigan, and that he'll have the same players available for the game against Dortmund. Who do you think might get dropped from the starting lineup?

My guess is Fosu-Mensah dropped for Valencia and Wilson for Keane. Maybe Depay for Januzaj and, not very probable, Herrera for Pereira.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts

LilWayneHQ

Entertaining things about this game:
- Herrera getting muscled off the ball with ease by someone called Max Power
- Nick Powell coming on and kicking everything on the pitch except for the football
- Inability of MUTV commentators to talk about a single United player during the game, without having to refer to the part of last season where Van Gaal mysteriously stopped playing them for no apparent reason.

Encouraging things from this game:
- Luke Shaw is alive
- The Dortmund guy looked quite useful. He looked like we'd stolen him from Arsenal
- Bailly is quite big
- Phil Jones played 45 minutes without injuring any United players or himself.

Non encouraging things from this game:
- Wigan manager is younger than Michael Carrick
- Phil Jones haircut
- Too much open goal missing
Blind got to sort out his hair too.

NotQuiteManc

I have only started watching a few of the highlights but Micky's movement and dribbling is really encouraging. Of course it was Wigan, but it was refreshing to see penetrations in the middle. At least, we have Martial and Micky now that would provide them. Exciting stuff. Oh, and Pereira's long range passing is something I have not seen in a while now.

Robertd0803

Positives:
Jose on the touchline, still seems unreal.
Miki. Looked very good. Also already has more nicknames and spellings of his name than the rest of the team. :D
The 2 goals were lovely. Nice chasing down the keeper and pass from Mata. I like tap-ins when we score them.
Shaw is back.
Pereiras alive.
Pereiras goal was great. What a hit.
Bailly looked solid.

Negatives:
Wilson looked lost.
Memphis looked rubbish.

Trizy

Goodbye Memphis.....
Sad but true. We're hardly gonna get much money for him though regardless of his age? He's utterly shite, hasn't even shown glimpses of talent or potential apart from playing well against championship level teams.

Classical Mechanic

I have only started watching a few of the highlights but Micky's movement and dribbling is really encouraging. Of course it was Wigan, but it was refreshing to see penetrations in the middle. At least, we have Martial and Micky now that would provide them. Exciting stuff. Oh, and Pereira's long range passing is something I have not seen in a while now.
I watched the first half and Wigan had a really physical team, they were quite dirty too, especially for a friendly. I was encouraged to see Mkhitayran being able to go past their physical defenders with relative ease using skill and pace.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Can't really draw anything from yesterday's game, particularly any of the defenders who had absolutely nothing to do.

Depay looked poor, Mkhitaryan looked good but i've learnt by now it's not uncommon for the reverse to be true when the real football starts.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Just finished watching the game a few minutes ago and it feels so good to be back to proper football even if it is only a friendly. It was especially lovely to hear a round of applause that accompanied Shaw's first touch and the Wes Brown chant. I love Wes so anytime he gets some recognition I get quite giddy.