Pre-season | United women v Liverpool - Sun 8th Aug 12noon

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Have they reinforced since last season?
I don't think so. At least there's no obvious quality leap that I can see. Babajide, who I like the look of, is on loan at Brighton. They've picked up a couple of players who were in WSL1 last season, mostly from Bristol.

A stronger squad maybe, but perhaps not a big quality jump for their first 11?

They beat us in the WSL Cup last year, so with our changes and theirs, it should be a decent contest. It'll be interesting to see how our attacking play looks - lots of talent gone or unavailable.

Grande

I don't think so. At least there's no obvious quality leap that I can see. Babajide, who I like the look of, is on loan at Brighton. They've picked up a couple of players who were in WSL1 last season, mostly from Bristol.

They beat us in the WSL Cup last year, so with our changes and theirs, it should be a decent contest. It'll be interesting to see how our attacking play looks - lots of talent gone or unavailable.
Yeah, I worry about our lack of firepower. Losing twice to a Liverpool who stopped caring while we were on the rise is going to poiny out some deep issues

decorativeed

Have they reinforced since last season?

We've signed a few players: Mannion, Blundell, Risa, Baggaley, Thomas. So a keeper, 2 defenders, a midfielder and a striker.

Edit: I was reading this wrong, sorry. Thought you were referring to our Women's team, not theirs!

pacifictheme

Women's team feels like it's come apart a bit since last season. Lost some big players and the manager.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Yep, unless we've got some signings from the Olympics teams who haven't yet been disclosed then we look weaker now than last year. Rather than breaking into top three, it looks like we'll be in a real fight to get fourth - given how teams like Everton have recruited.

Maybe a couple of our talented youngsters will have a breakthrough year. It's hard to know, because we didn't really see that much of them last year.

Lightbringer

Is Kirsty Smith staying? She was part of the ad for the new away jerseys, but she is not in the squad today :-(

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
2-1 at half time, with Hanson and Galton getting the goals after Liverpool opened the scoring. Hanson, Staniforth and Zelem have been very good.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Good half from us in terms of general play. We're having trouble getting Galton on the ball on the wing, she took her goal well though. Jones has hardly touched the ball up front either - but that's no change in terms of how we played last year with a range of different strikers. Not impressed by our defending for the Liverpool goal. Thorisdottir/Turner not really meshing yet.

Hopefully I'm just talking about what being in pre-season means :smirk:

kundalini

United beat Villa 2-0 in their 2nd pre-season game. Martha Thomas with an early goal set up by Kirsty Hanson. Hanson scored the 2nd, Katie Zelem with the assist. https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/man-utd-women-match-report-friendly-v-aston-villa-14-august

Kirsty Hanson now has a goal and an assist in each of the two pre-season games. Last season she got 5 goals and 2 assists in 1076 mins in WSL. Although I find her a frustrating player, largely due to her shocking short passing, she could be a player that contributes more if trusted as a regular starter, in the way that Ella Toone made a leap forward last season.

Ivana Fuso got 20 mins as a sub. It was difficult to assess her last season as she only got 5 sub appearances in the WSL, 100 mins in total.

I still think the fitness and form of Alessia Russo will be crucial. Alessia has been in some of the training pics but not played in either pre-season match.

Last edited:

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
United beat Villa 2-0 in their 2nd pre-season game. Martha Thomas with an early goal set up by Kirsty Hanson. Hanson scored the 2nd, Katie Zelem with the assist. https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/man-utd-women-match-report-friendly-v-aston-villa-14-august

Kirsty Hanson now has a goal and an assist in each of the two pre-season games. Last season she got 5 goals and 2 assists in 1076 mins in WSL. Although I find her a frustrating player, largely due to her shocking short passing, she could be a player that contributes more if trusted as a regular starter, in the way that Ella Toone made a leap forward last season.

Ivana Fuso got 20 mins as a sub. It was difficult to assess her last season as she only got 5 sub appearances in the WSL, 100 mins in total.

I still think the fitness and form of Alessia Russo will be crucial. Alessia has been in some of the training pics but not played in either pre-season match.
Frustrating not being able to see the match but at least this season United are actually reporting the pre-season games!