Predict our final position- 2020/21 season

Predict United's final position in the 2020/21 season

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Only 4 days to go. New season new expectations.

Where do you see us finish the season ?

Mods - Can we add a poll ?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
4th if we bring in some actual depth for the attack and left back. 5th-7th if we do nothing.

Kaos

As it currently stands, 5th I'm afraid to say. Unless we get miraculously lucky with injuries.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Fourth is looking like a big, big ask right now.
How, exactly? No denying City and Liverpool are comprehensively stronger, and Chelsea have improved their side massively — but who below us is going to do so much better than last season to make 4th look like a “big, big ask”?

NJM78

Will bite anyones hand off for 4th.

Think we will be 5th or 6th based on our current squad, our guaranteed injuries will hinder us as this team bar starting 11 is just not that good. I feel others are a lot closer to us in terms of quality than we are to the teams above us.

gajender

Comfortable 3rd if we can keep our big players injury free for majority of the season even if Van De Beek is our only signing.

MattofManchester

We were hovering between eighth and tenth for a portion last season after Pogba and Martial were out with injury. Our second half blitz and inconsistency, poor form and injuries meant we caught Leicester and Chelsea.

Its impossible to complete a season without injuries and Shaw and to a lesser extent Pogba and Martial are kind of injury prone.
My sad but probable guess is 6th.
Our depth is still dreadful, and competing across all fronts is going to hurt.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
We were hovering between eighth and tenth for a portion last season after Pogba and Martial were out with injury. Our second half blitz and inconsistency, poor form and injuries meant we caught Leicester and Chelsea.

Its impossible to complete a season without injuries and Shaw and to a lesser extent Pogba and Martial are kind of injury prone.
My sad but probable guess is 6th.
Our depth is still dreadful, and competing across all fronts is going to hurt.
What a load of drivvle.

6th because we only got 3rd last season due to injuries to Leicester and Chelsea but then also mentioning that we had a terrible first half of the season because of our own injuries.

How about if we didn’t get injuries in the first place we wouldn’t have been so far behind Chelsea and Leicester that we had to catch them.

Swings and roundabouts.

Irwin99

I said 4th last year even though I didn't actually believe we would after that summer of transfers (Maguire, AWB, James) but I did it to try and be positive. So I will say 4th again....even though again, i'm not really all that optimistic :nervous:

Sancho signing would change things though. A bit more firepower and another defender would improve the squad depth a lot.

RkkMan

I`ll genuinely take 5th place at this rate. Can see us falling out of the top 6 completely unfortunately but we`re 100% not getting top 4 we wont finish above Chelsea, City or Liverpool and one of Arsenal and Spurs will knock us out of top 4 the latter 2 will be stronger this season than last season Arsenal are flying high on confidence after winning 2 back to back trophies and will add at least 2 more buys and Spurs have made really good additions plus Jose in his 2nd seasons naturally does well

HAZMANU

cant see us doing anything to be honest!
midfield looks stronger than last year but everybody is spending and strengthening.
our bosses obviously think we are better than we really are.
im not convinced

IRELANDUNITED

Even if we sign Sancho I can't see us doing better than 4th, which is infuriating considering we have the perfect platform to build on from last season. We got into the Champions League where we need to be, all we needed to do was back Ole in the transfer market and we could have pushed on and competed for honors. Instead we've watched everyone around us get stronger. Ridiculous, considering we need about 5 players.

OleBoiii

I'm tired of these knee-jerk reactions! Anyways:

With Sancho:
- Quadruple
- A knighthood for everyone involved
- World peace

No Sancho
- Get relegated after losing literally every game
- Everyone except for Jones and Lingard ends up in jail
- The Glazers personally travel to all of our houses and shit in our beds

Banana Republic

.....we`re 100% not getting top 4 we wont finish above Chelsea, City or Liverpool and one of Arsenal and Spurs will knock us out of top 4 the latter 2 will be stronger this season than last season Arsenal are flying high on confidence after winning 2 back to back trophies and will add at least 2 more buys and Spurs have made really good additions plus Jose in his 2nd seasons naturally does well
Arteta has now got a grip on his Arsenal side and has instilled confidence in them, as well as making one or two good squad signings. I think they'll have a good season ending somewhere between 4th and 6th.
I would have written Spurs off, until the last couple of days. Another 4th-6th place is possible.
Nobody on here is even mentioning Everton. They've ditched some of their dead wood and made some very useful signings. I think they'll surprise everyone.
There's always the nuisance factor. The club who exceed expectations and hog a top 4 spot for a good chunk of the season, only to fade away. if I were to pull a guess out of thin air, I'd say Leeds and Leicester will be in the mix for a top 8 finish.

Even with Sancho I think 4th will be a struggle, without him it's an EL spot.
You won't get many people agreeing with this on the Caf, but I think it's spot on.
Apart from the lack of quality squad depth, there's a serious inherent weakness right across our midfield and forward line.
Utd are a physically weak side with far too many players who lack the ability, inclination or physical presence to challenge, press, properly close down, tackle or take the ball off our opponents. Some of our star players and fan favourites are the worst culprits here. I'm hoping DvB's physical ability will help address the issue.
It's frightening how many teams just walk straight through our midfield and brush off lame attempts to stop them.
We may challenge or put in good winning runs, but we are not going to win any titles with what appears to be lack of recognition of this problem by the manager and coaching team.

cant see us doing anything to be honest!
midfield looks stronger than last year but everybody is spending and strengthening.
our bosses obviously think we are better than we really are.
im not convinced
See above.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
At the moment I'd say 5th-7th, but I'll wait till deadline day to cast my vote.

luck&neat

If I were putting money on it at the moment i'd have to say 4th or 5th. I think behind City and Pool it's a massive guessing game, but taking out the emotion and obviously wanting United to do well it's where I can see us finishing.

That's based on two things mainly:

The first is we looked excellent when Ole had a proper starting eleven when Bruno arrived, and it looks like a team that can get results against anyone (our record against the "big 6" was pretty decent last season, and has been good in recent years overall). The main problem is fatigue caused by lack of squad depth (and combined with fatigue - key injuries). We've brought in DVB who will give us options to rotate midfield, but we have next to nothing outside of that. We saw last year that our performances started to trail off massively towards the end of the season with so many games coming so quickly with the same starting 11, and this season is going to just build on that. The fixtures are even more congested than usual and the players haven't really had an off-season to reset (mentally if nothing else). This isn't even taking into account all the extra-curricular problems our squad has faced over the "Summer break". Granted our other rivals are in the same boat, but many of them have strengthened over the summer and have better options on the bench before the additional signings.

Following on from the first and directly related to it is new signings. City and Pool who are a long way ahead of United currently have both strengthened. Chelsea (who we finished on the same points total last season with) have massively strengthened and many have tipped to be the "surprise" package this season. I have a sneaky feeling, and most people will disagree with me here, but Arsenal are probably my guess for the last CL spot as they really look to have solidified as a unit in the past few months under Arteta. Although they haven't brought too many players in, they are very useful ones in areas they needed to improve on. Arsenal's main problem will be similar to ours in that they don't have a great bench and also have the EL to contend with.

Outside those teams, we have Spurs who suffered massively from not having Son and Kane for large periods last season, and have already made a couple of astute signings (and a couple more on the way it seems). It's also Jose's second season...
Then there are Wolves who were pushing for the top 4 for a large part of last season, Leicester who we pipped to the post for top 4 in the last game of the season, and Everton who have made some great signings. Wolves and Everton also don't have the concern of European games.

Overall I think it's going to be a tough season. Could well be another low points total to make the CL spots as I think teams will be taking points off each other all over the place, but I see Pool, City and Chelsea as clear favourites for the top 4 and I just have a feeling Arsenal are going to be much more consistent this year.

Saying all that we could still make a few signings to provide some competition for places and we might be looking much healthier.

Reactions: Sultan

Joseunited

At the moment with only Van De Beek I can't see us getting in the top 6.Sancho elevates us to inside top 4 level.
Anywhere from 2 - 8.

RU Devil

Went with 3rd. If things fall our way, we could be in the title race until March, but I can't see getting past the usual injury crisis unless reinforcements come in now or in January. Almost went with 2nd, but that would be heavily dependent on City & Liverpool having an unusual amount of injuries/drama plus Chelsea not putting together an unexpected title charge a la Conte. The ingredients are there for any of those to happen (City still has a volatile CB situation plus Pep hasn't signed an extension, Liverpool 'may' have a selection issue plus they have been lucky with injuries over the past few seasons, while Chelsea definitely has the horses to make that charge but will they gel sooner or later).

Falcow

Seriously, what is wrong with people in here, 5th 6th 7th??? Have people forgotten the league table since arrival of Bruno? Do people really expect Leicester, spurs etc to finish ahead of us? Based on what exactly?

Some seriously spolit kids in here, most of these predictions are due to pool signing Thiago, and Spurs signing madrid s third choice left back. Pool were likely to finish ahead of us anyway but that doesnt push us further down the table. Go and support someone else you pessimistic c*$ts.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
This team with MMM, world class midfielder and one of the best defensive unit in Europe came on top of the league post lockdown. This team has improved with DVDB and with added experience to their individual game and chemistry. Anything below third is a failure and Ole should be sacked as a result. If we get Sancho, no doubt that we should be challenging for the league. Not to say that this current squad isn’t incapable if we manage to keep the first 11 fit most of the season.

The only hinderance to us getting top four is if we suffer unimaginable injuries to the team and Ole luck runs out. Else, I m more than confident that this team is good enough for top four. The only top 5/6 team that significantly improved from last season is Chelsea, but they omitted investment in a key area which will hurt them this season.

Amadaeus

Just noticed the poll. Based on the result, we might as well sack Ole now if fans has such little confidence in him. Bring in a manager that can guarantee us at least top four even with a squad not as good as ours.

RedCurry

Our squad is thin, other teams are strong and are strengthening. 4th if I am being optimistic, 5-7th realistically.

Siorac

Seriously, what is wrong with people in here, 5th 6th 7th??? Have people forgotten the league table since arrival of Bruno? Do people really expect Leicester, spurs etc to finish ahead of us? Based on what exactly?

Some seriously spolit kids in here, most of these predictions are due to pool signing Thiago, and Spurs signing madrid s third choice left back. Pool were likely to finish ahead of us anyway but that doesnt push us further down the table. Go and support someone else you pessimistic c*$ts.
I mean, look, I expect us to finish 4th but it's not out of the question that we'll slide down the table. We finished 4th in 2015, added a shitload of players in the summer and then finished 5th, playing terrible football for most of the season. Or we finished second in 2018, signed a couple of players, didn't lose anyone significant and ended up 6th the next season.

It's not exactly a shock that United fans have learned to be pessimistic.

lewwoo

If we sign no more players 4th will be a miracle and massive achievement considering how others around us have strengthened.

RkkMan

This team with MMM, world class midfielder and one of the best defensive unit in Europe came on top of the league post lockdown. This team has improved with DVDB and with added experience to their individual game and chemistry. Anything below third is a failure and Ole should be sacked as a result. If we get Sancho, no doubt that we should be challenging for the league. Not to say that this current squad isn’t incapable if we manage to keep the first 11 fit most of the season.

The only hinderance to us getting top four is if we suffer unimaginable injuries to the team and Ole luck runs out. Else, I m more than confident that this team is good enough for top four. The only top 5/6 team that significantly improved from last season is Chelsea, but they omitted investment in a key area which will hurt them this season.
So you are saying every other team that has invested in their team should have a leeway to fail but the manager who has his hands tied behind his back like Jose was is the one who should be sacked if he doesn`t perform? Double standards much? The Glazers are the ones we should fully blame if we have a bad season not Ole embarassing that you are completely absolving them of any blame when they are the ones who have fecked us over there are clear holes in our starting 11 and we`ve addressed ZERO of them while everyone has gotten stronger this is practically asking someone to win a gun fight with a stick and don`t underestimate Arsenal and Spurs the former will make at least 2 buys are high on confidence after winning 2 trophies back to back with a manager that has a good grip on them and the latter have also made good signings and have a manager who whilst past his best always does well in his second seasons
Plus whilst our team played really well post lockdown can you really look at this team and say we look formidable and tactically astute like Liverpool 17/18 or most of our good performances were down to luck and individual brilliance? We`ve been bang average since Southampton and luck/individual brilliance without depth won`t get you through 4 major competitions without a serious downturn in results somewhere especially with CL footy meaning little room to rotate heavily with the 5 subs rule out and games still coming thick and fast. Our attacking bench options are not even better than Wolves/West Ham ffs and we`re meant to compete on all fronts. Only way we get even top 4 is if we completely give up the cup competitions and focus heavily on the PL as unless you can offer coke directly from El Chapo that will give our players some serious juice and energy you`re expectations on where Utd will be this season are a bit too high

Amadaeus

So you are saying every other team that has invested in their team should have a leeway to fail but the manager who has his hands tied behind his back like Jose was is the one who should be sacked if he doesn`t perform? Double standards much? The Glazers are the ones we should fully blame if we have a bad season not Ole embarassing that you are completely absolving them of any blame when they are the ones who have fecked us over there are clear holes in our starting 11 and we`ve addressed ZERO of them while everyone has gotten stronger this is practically asking someone to win a gun fight with a stick and don`t underestimate Arsenal and Spurs the former will make at least 2 buys are high on confidence after winning 2 trophies back to back with a manager that has a good grip on them and the latter have also made good signings and have a manager who whilst past his best always does well in his second seasons
Plus whilst our team played really well post lockdown can you really look at this team and say we look formidable and tactically astute like Liverpool 17/18 or most of our good performances were down to luck and individual brilliance? We`ve been bang average since Southampton and luck/individual brilliance without depth won`t get you through 4 major competitions without a serious downturn in results somewhere especially with CL footy meaning little room to rotate heavily with the 5 subs rule out and games still coming thick and fast. Our attacking bench options are not even better than Wolves/West Ham ffs and we`re meant to compete on all fronts. Only way we get even top 4 is if we completely give up the cup competitions and focus heavily on the PL as unless you can offer coke directly from El Chapo that will give our players some serious juice and energy you`re expectations on where Utd will be this season are a bit too high
Where is the hole in our starting 11? The only weakness we have is in ‘Quality’ squad depth and that is only in right attack, maybe lb, maybe cdm and striker. The glazers, Woodward and the board has made significant investment since Ole has been in charge. You can’t expect us to spend over £100m each season. It is time for result and Ole failed that test last season without a trophy and just a third place finish. Even the likes of Mourinho, Moyes, and Van Gaal won something and they were still axed. This season is make or break for Ole. We should not lower our standards for Ole especially when our football has not been captivating enough to give him leeway in the trophy expectations.